• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Monster Hunter: World

The PC version is far, far superior. I stopped playing the PS4 version completely.
I'd say it is now, but at launch it wasn't. No 21:9 support, far behind on content compared to console counterparts, and the annoying constant online sessions disconnections steered me away from the PC version. But those all seem to be solved so back to PC it is!
 
Last edited:
Can you guys start posting some super-cool screenshots??

I ask because I paid full price for MHW but haven't found the time to invest in it properly. (the backlog is real.)
 
I'd say it is now, but at launch it wasn't. No 21:9 support, far behind on content compared to console counterparts, and the annoying constant online sessions disconnections steered me away from the PC version. But those all seem to be solved so back to PC it is!

True, I don't use ultrawide, but the disconnections were really bad. Just with the QOL mods and unlocked framerate alone, as well as the super-fast load times on SSD, I prefer to only play on PC now.

They are still catching up on content but the pace is pretty good.
 
I think Capcom is surprised how well the game is selling on PC (almost always on top of the global top sellers chart when its on sale) and are devoting a bit more time to "better" the PC version.

hopefully they are working on an official HD Texture Pack...with the Iceborne expansion coming late this year I have no problems waiting...the fact that Iceborne will once again be delayed on PC is crazy...would have been a perfect time to have parity between the consoles...PC constantly being 6+ months behind is silly
 
Okay, the Greatest Jagras quest is pretty damn good. I can finally say that a Great Jagras kicked my ass a few times now.

You get a absolute TON of decorations, because he will eat something and then start puking up materials, which are all decorations of varying quality. If you manage to knock him over during this time, he will start puking out a large amount of them in a single pile.

I was averaging probably 25-30 decorations per run if not more. Since they are materials picked up, you even still keep them if you fail the quest.

You can get him down to almost dead and then cap him. It's honestly not that hard of a fight, but he hits HARD and has some new moves.

DO THIS QUEST.
 
Last edited:
hopefully they are working on an official HD Texture Pack...with the Iceborne expansion coming late this year I have no problems waiting...the fact that Iceborne will once again be delayed on PC is crazy...would have been a perfect time to have parity between the consoles...PC constantly being 6+ months behind is silly
Just noticed this, and that's fucking stupid. Do they have a reason for delaying game content on PC yet again? Worse yet, they only say that the "Steam release follows" the console versions which who knows what that means - a month later? 3 months later? 6 months later?!

Iceborne should've been the point where all three platforms had a simultaneous release and were equal. I'm now discouraged to play my PC character again as I don't want to have to likely wait months for content that is already available on my PS4 version when Iceborne releases.
 
Just noticed this, and that's fucking stupid. Do they have a reason for delaying game content on PC yet again? Worse yet, they only say that the "Steam release follows" the console versions which who knows what that means - a month later? 3 months later? 6 months later?!

Iceborne should've been the point where all three platforms had a simultaneous release and were equal. I'm now discouraged to play my PC character again as I don't want to have to likely wait months for content that is already available on my PS4 version when Iceborne releases.

They do it so consoles have a chance to compete. It's like going out for pe class when you were a kid but the teacher was like " no playing until the special needs class finishes".
 
They do it so consoles have a chance to compete. It's like going out for pe class when you were a kid but the teacher was like " no playing until the special needs class finishes".

but why do they need to give consoles the extra help?...any game that comes out on both consoles and PC on the same day, the consoles will have much higher sales numbers
 
I'm disappointed about the PC disparity as well, but the experience on PC is just so much better I'm willing to wait and go PC only.
 
So, what do you guys use for AA in this game? I had been using TAA for a long time, but then I realized how massively blurry it makes the game, plus adds a sort of motion blur. TXAA doesn't really do much of anything, and I can't get DSR or any SSAA or MFAA settings to do anything in the nVidia Control Panel.
 
So, what do you guys use for AA in this game? I had been using TAA for a long time, but then I realized how massively blurry it makes the game, plus adds a sort of motion blur. TXAA doesn't really do much of anything, and I can't get DSR or any SSAA or MFAA settings to do anything in the nVidia Control Panel.

I haven't played MH:W but speaking about PC games in general I like to use ReShade...tons of graphics tweaks...usually if a game only has an FXAA or TAA option I'll try ReShade's SMAA...or Lumasharpen with TAA
 
Last edited:
So, what do you guys use for AA in this game? I had been using TAA for a long time, but then I realized how massively blurry it makes the game, plus adds a sort of motion blur. TXAA doesn't really do much of anything, and I can't get DSR or any SSAA or MFAA settings to do anything in the nVidia Control Panel.
I run without any AA because the in-game AA solutions are garbage and blur the image as you said. I also can't get any AA working through the nVidia control panel either.
 
So, what do you guys use for AA in this game? I had been using TAA for a long time, but then I realized how massively blurry it makes the game, plus adds a sort of motion blur. TXAA doesn't really do much of anything, and I can't get DSR or any SSAA or MFAA settings to do anything in the nVidia Control Panel.

I don’t have this game, although tempted to get it, but I’ve never seen DSR not work. You enable the scaling factors in the control panel, most people move smoothing to 10-15%, and then you increase resolution in the game menu. It’ll render at the higher res and automatically downscale to your native.
 
Still haven't pulled the trigger on MH:W, I'm tempted now that it's on the Steam Lunar sale. I'm not a Dark Souls person, but I like a good boss battle (as long as they don't take TOO long - I don't like 30 minute fights that end in massive finger cramps) - how is this game from a difficulty perspective and also from a grind perspective? Can I get through the game just fine (as far as the main quests in the game go) without grinding 300 hours to all eternity? I want to play through and enjoy the game but I don't want to spend more than 100 hours on it, regardless of how much I like it - I just don't have that kind of time or patience.
 
I don’t have this game, although tempted to get it, but I’ve never seen DSR not work. You enable the scaling factors in the control panel, most people move smoothing to 10-15%, and then you increase resolution in the game menu. It’ll render at the higher res and automatically downscale to your native.

There game doesn't show any resolutions above my monitor's native. They show up in the nVidia CP, though.

I did force a higher res in the game config, but the performance hit was too great, so DSR may not be the way to go, anyway. Might try ReShade SMAA or something.
 
I did about 200 hours in the game. 100 hours will take you plenty far although maybe not for any type of max endgame build. The weapons in the game actually represent character classes and function very differently from each other. Missions are grouped into low rank and then high rank. High rank is the start of the endgame. People have videos out on reaching HR within 3 hours and then completing the game in about 7 to 9 hours. For everyone else though it will take tons more time. And once you complete the game you can either stop or continue upgrading your build to better take on the added *free* DLC monsters
 
Still haven't pulled the trigger on MH:W, I'm tempted now that it's on the Steam Lunar sale. I'm not a Dark Souls person, but I like a good boss battle (as long as they don't take TOO long - I don't like 30 minute fights that end in massive finger cramps) - how is this game from a difficulty perspective and also from a grind perspective? Can I get through the game just fine (as far as the main quests in the game go) without grinding 300 hours to all eternity? I want to play through and enjoy the game but I don't want to spend more than 100 hours on it, regardless of how much I like it - I just don't have that kind of time or patience.

I would say the difficulty scales pretty evenly throughout most of the game, though you will hit walls with certain monsters where you will need to level up your gear (which could mean a bit of grinding) and/or "getting gud".

As far as 30 minute battles...it can definitely happen in this game, especially when you are new. Once you get better, it can be more like 10-15 minutes, but keep in mind there's a reason you have a 50 minute limit for most quests.

Like jiminator said, you don't necessarily have to grind if you don't want to, but that is pretty much the endgame given that there are a limited number of monsters and areas. But yeah, you can certainly get through the game and see most of what there is to offer without spending 300+ hours.

So I guess it's hard to say whether or not you'll like the game. I don't like Dark Souls either, but I love this game.
 
I would say the difficulty scales pretty evenly throughout most of the game, though you will hit walls with certain monsters where you will need to level up your gear (which could mean a bit of grinding) and/or "getting gud".

As far as 30 minute battles...it can definitely happen in this game, especially when you are new. Once you get better, it can be more like 10-15 minutes, but keep in mind there's a reason you have a 50 minute limit for most quests.

Like jiminator said, you don't necessarily have to grind if you don't want to, but that is pretty much the endgame given that there are a limited number of monsters and areas. But yeah, you can certainly get through the game and see most of what there is to offer without spending 300+ hours.

So I guess it's hard to say whether or not you'll like the game. I don't like Dark Souls either, but I love this game.

Thanks for the input guys - I went ahead and purchased the game. Last question - Controller or KB+M? I like ranged weapons, but I've been playing other 3rd person games with my xbone controller just fine as of late but didn't know if there was an "edge" for using kb+m if I decided to go bow/bowgun in this game.
 
Thanks for the input guys - I went ahead and purchased the game. Last question - Controller or KB+M? I like ranged weapons, but I've been playing other 3rd person games with my xbone controller just fine as of late but didn't know if there was an "edge" for using kb+m if I decided to go bow/bowgun in this game.

Some people like M/KB for ranged in this game. I spent a lot of time on PS4 so I use a DS4 controller on the PC. The controls are good for both, just depends on what you prefer. I wouldn't say you need "twitch" reflexes really for ranged weapons in this game so I don't see a huge advantage of one over another.
 
Some people like M/KB for ranged in this game. I spent a lot of time on PS4 so I use a DS4 controller on the PC. The controls are good for both, just depends on what you prefer. I wouldn't say you need "twitch" reflexes really for ranged weapons in this game so I don't see a huge advantage of one over another.

Cool, guess I'll try both.
 
btw, the game has a ton of settings to make the experience and controls more natural. you should youtube on how to set things up.
 
I tried ReShade and the SMAA didn't seem to do much. Also, just having ReShade enabled dropped my framerate by at least 10 FPS.
 
Enjoying the game so far - I liked playing with bow better with kb+m but I switched to melee and controller because it just felt more natural. I tried bow with the controller but it definitely felt gimped compared to mouse aiming, but I didn't like the mouse tracking or the radial wheel with the keyboard/mouse.

Made it as far as the Anjanath hunt in my first night playing. I've only carted once thus far, wasn't prepared for the Barroth mission as it wasn't clear that it was a hunt, thought it was just an escort mission at first, still getting used to the game.
 
Enjoying the game so far - I liked playing with bow better with kb+m but I switched to melee and controller because it just felt more natural. I tried bow with the controller but it definitely felt gimped compared to mouse aiming, but I didn't like the mouse tracking or the radial wheel with the keyboard/mouse.

Made it as far as the Anjanath hunt in my first night playing. I've only carted once thus far, wasn't prepared for the Barroth mission as it wasn't clear that it was a hunt, thought it was just an escort mission at first, still getting used to the game.

Nice. I highly recommend changing the radial menu to click-to-activate rather than release, if you haven't already. Cool thing about M/KB is that you can have the radial menu bound to number keys to instantly access items. But you can also seamlessly switch between controller and KB/M in-game, and it will even change the button prompt graphics on the fly.
 
Not sure if anyone else mentioned this yet, but I turned off Volumetric Fog in game which eliminated a lot of the yellow or purple/pink haze in the game. Not only did this make the game look better (in my opinion), but it also increased my average frame rate by 10-15 FPS.
 
Every time I see new content drop on console I want to switch back. Then I load it up on my PS4 Pro and realize how much I miss ultrawide and how much better 80-100 FPS feels compared to the 30-50 FPS on console. Not to mention the ability to turn off the crappy AA solutions, motion blur and volumetric fog while cranking up the other settings makes the game look so much more crisp and clean.

The PC version spoiled me. I put in 400 hours on the PS4 and loved it. Then I played on my highend PC for 50 hours and have a hard time adjusting back to PS4 Pro version.
 
Not to mention the QoL improvement mods on the PC as well.

Yeah, I won't be going back to PS4. I'll wait for the PC releases.
 
Still enjoying the game - while taking my time. I like this game because I don't feel the need to blow through all of it, rather take my time and enjoy some light grinding here and there in LR and keep progressing to the next step. Just finished Rathalos, switched to maining a LBG and I've been having a lot of fun with it, definitely my favorite ranged weapon by FAR, HBG and Bow just don't compare for me.
 
Every time I see new content drop on console I want to switch back. Then I load it up on my PS4 Pro and realize how much I miss ultrawide and how much better 80-100 FPS feels compared to the 30-50 FPS on console. Not to mention the ability to turn off the crappy AA solutions, motion blur and volumetric fog while cranking up the other settings makes the game look so much more crisp and clean.

The PC version spoiled me. I put in 400 hours on the PS4 and loved it. Then I played on my highend PC for 50 hours and have a hard time adjusting back to PS4 Pro version.

You are totally right on this, I had turned off AA prior as I play in 4k myself and the AA solution isn't necessary - but holy wow, turning off the volumetric fog made a huge difference in frame rate.
 
It's odd how our brains work. I stopped using AA in this game because nVidia options don't work and the in-game stuff looks like garbage, and honestly after having it off for awhile I barely even notice anymore (other than noticing that everything looks WAY sharper). Same with when I was playing the PS4 version of this, it seemed smooth and the gameplay was good, but when I went to PC with 60+ FPS and then tried to go back to PS4, the framerate loss was super noticeable to the point where I could barely tolerate it. Interesting how we get used to things over time and it's all a relative experience.
 
It's odd how our brains work. I stopped using AA in this game because nVidia options don't work and the in-game stuff looks like garbage, and honestly after having it off for awhile I barely even notice anymore (other than noticing that everything looks WAY sharper). Same with when I was playing the PS4 version of this, it seemed smooth and the gameplay was good, but when I went to PC with 60+ FPS and then tried to go back to PS4, the framerate loss was super noticeable to the point where I could barely tolerate it. Interesting how we get used to things over time and it's all a relative experience.
Exactly. As I mentioned in a previous post I put in hundreds of hours into the PS4 Pro version and had a great experience. Then I went to PC and it wasn't immediately apparent to me how good the game looked and how well it played at 80-100 FPS. But it became immediately noticeable once I tried to go back to the PS4 Pro version after spending a while on PC. The difference was much more staggering going from the superior playing experience to the inferior one than going from the inferior experience to the superior one. The QoL mods are also very helpful. In other words, the PC version spoils you. I just WISH they'd get the content release schedule aligned with the consoles or at least minimize the delay by 2-4 weeks at most.
 
Is there anyway to get banned from multiplayer for modding the game? I wanted to add Reshade and use the texture fix mod. But rather not if there's a chance of getting banned from multiplayer since I intend to do multiplayer later.
 
Is there anyway to get banned from multiplayer for modding the game? I wanted to add Reshade and use the texture fix mod. But rather not if there's a chance of getting banned from multiplayer since I intend to do multiplayer later.
according to a thread on the steam forums those are fine. its only if you have other gameplay altering mods that there is an issue, everyone playing needs to have the same mods.
"Can you play online with these mods? Im looking at getting the light pillar one, damage meter and some graphic ones like no blur. "
"if everyone has the mod then yes, but those you mention doesnt affect the base game so theres no problem on multiplayer."
https://steamcommunity.com/app/582010/discussions/3/1734339624803822617/?ctp=3
 
Back
Top