Monster Hunter World (Beta)

Good thing about the new game is you can drop in/out of hunts within the first 10 minutes or so, so it doesn't require as much effort to get people together for a hunt at the same time. Also, supposedly all of the quests are MP-capable now, so you don't have to deal with key quest nonsense.

I am not sure how private vs public rooms work yet, though.

Awesome, invites sent via PSN.

Good thing about the new game is you can drop in/out of hunts within the first 10 minutes or so, so it doesn't require as much effort to get people together for a hunt at the same time. Also, supposedly all of the quests are MP-capable now, so you don't have to deal with key quest nonsense.

I am not sure how private vs public rooms work yet, though.

The main issue with joining a public game is that you'll spawn somewhere randomly on the map, makes strategy a bit more difficult. Everyone starts together in a private game though.

When I joined a pub in the beta, it gave me a choice of which camp to spawn at. Not sure if that is typical or not, though.

So hyped for this game.

CAUTION - video below may have some minor spoilers for monsters and whatnot, but really not anything we haven't seen in trailers. Still, if you want to go in pure, maybe don't watch.

So, which version did everyone decide to go for?

I decided to go for the digital deluxe version.

I just went for the physical Standard edition because I get the 20% discount on Prime. Would have gone Deluxe probably if it was offered with the deal.

wow this game is getting excellent reviews...really excellent reviews...can't wait for the 'definitive' PC version to come out ;)

Got through the tutorial hunt and done for the night. I think I spent almost an hour making my character and the Palico and another 45 or so minutes testing out weapons in the training field. Would have had more time for quests if not for that, but spending that kind of time is a good sign that I'm enjoying this. Settled on the transforming sword-axe weapon for the moment. Was pretty fun in the first hunt.

wow this game is getting excellent reviews...really excellent reviews...can't wait for the 'definitive' PC version to come out ;)
Yeah sucks we have to wait for "at a later date" whenever the fuck that is..

Yeah sucks we have to wait for "at a later date" whenever the fuck that is..

Autumn. So, between September and November. Quite the delay, but hopefully that means they take the time to make it work right. This is the team's first PC version so I'd rather they're allowed the time they need.

Buy a PS4 Pro, you know you want to. ;)

I am Longsword main for life, but I definitely want to try the projectile weapons in this new one. The controls are so much better than in previous titles, and they've really streamlined the maintenance to use them it seems. I've also considered trying the Charge Blade, seems pretty cool.

Stupid work today, but my copy should be waiting for me when I get home.

I am Longsword main for life, but I definitely want to try the projectile weapons in this new one. The controls are so much better than in previous titles, and they've really streamlined the maintenance to use them it seems. I've also considered trying the Charge Blade, seems pretty cool.

Stupid work today, but my copy should be waiting for me when I get home.

You're not missing much, lots of shit is down, has been all morning.

https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

It went out last night right as I was finishing the first hunt. Thankfully the game still works without PSN working. Really sucks for people picking up a physical copy today though.

But you're unable to play online though, or? Currently I mean.

So popular it killed PSN...lol!

I hope it works by the time I get home.

But you're unable to play online though, or? Currently I mean.

The game allowed me to create an online session and load in, so that seems to be working fine. Was even able to redeem my login bonus.

The game allowed me to create an online session and load in, so that seems to be working fine. Was even able to redeem my login bonus.

Very cool, I'll have to check out later. Looks like it's still showing most of the statuses as "down". Wonder what they're doing.

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne...kept it for 1.5 years but then sold it right before the Pro was released (to maximize the resale value)...played everything I wanted to (at the time) including all the Uncharted games and Last of Us...Monster Hunter: World looks good but doesn't have the same pull where I would buy a new console just to play it (especially since it's coming to PC)...although Horizon Zero Dawn does tempt me sometimes...if Bloodborne 2 or whatever From Software's next game is becomes another PS4 exclusive I'll probably get the Pro

I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne...kept it for 1.5 years but then sold it right before the Pro was released (to maximize the resale value)...played everything I wanted to (at the time) including all the Uncharted games and Last of Us...Monster Hunter: World looks good but doesn't have the same pull where I would buy a new console just to play it (especially since it's coming to PC)...although Horizon Zero Dawn does tempt me sometimes...if Bloodborne 2 or whatever From Software's next game is becomes another PS4 exclusive I'll probably get the Pro

Horizon Zero Dawn was excellent, easily my top game of 2017. I am also looking forward to The Last of Us 2 and the Shadow of the Colossus Remaster.

I'm sure I'll get 100+ hours out of MH:W as well, so for me it was worth it.

Is there a way to change your character later? Or are you stuck with whatever you make in the character creator? I kind of just want to jump in and play without spending hours on a character creator screen.

Is there a way to change your character later? Or are you stuck with whatever you make in the character creator? I kind of just want to jump in and play without spending hours on a character creator screen.

You can change your appearance if that's what you mean (well, everything except gender).

And yet, I still spent like 45 minutes making my character a cute redhead. :p

You can change your appearance if that's what you mean (well, everything except gender).

You can change everything (i.e. start from scratch) or just surface details like hair and makeup?

Despite what I said, I ended up spending an hour creating a character. I chose a preset for the cat though, and lightly modified it, otherwise I would've been there for another hour.

You can change everything (i.e. start from scratch) or just surface details like hair and makeup?

Despite what I said, I ended up spending an hour creating a character. I chose a preset for the cat though, and lightly modified it, otherwise I would've been there for another hour.

Only some things...hair, makeup, clothing.

Only some things...hair, makeup, clothing.

I don't understand why games with character creators do this... It would be so simple to add a menu option to change your character later on. What if you get sick of your character? What if you regret that protruding chin or big ass nose? Too bad, you're stuck with it. It makes creating a character more stressful than it should be, because there's no going back once you hit that confirm button.

I don't think this game is for me. Totally my fault by going in blind. But holy hell, is this game complicated. I've never seen so many menus and tutorials in my life. It's overwhelming! I guess I thought this was going to be somewhat like Horizon Zero Dawn where you just free roam and kill monsters, but it's totally different. Seems like half of this game is meant to be spent in menus prepping for battle.

It does take a bit of getting used to if you've never played. The game is really focused around gathering, crafting, and upgrading parts and equipment. One thing I am not a huge fan of is the hub area...it seems needlessly complex and hard to find things you need until you start to remember where things are. For instance, it took me awhile to realize that there are multiple quest boards and item boxes next to them. So no need to load into your room every time you want to mess with items.

I am liking the maps, overall, but some of them have some really complex pathing that seems unnecessary. In past games I guess it was simplified by having to load into each area, but it feels like they went a little hog wild with the new freedom.

I agree game seems overly complicated for no real good reason. This is also my first monster hunter game.

I spend most fights swinging my weapon like a crazy person and having to take it back out since I hit the wrong button. I need to give it more time to make a real opinion on it though.

Anyone play the game on the most powerful console ever - Xbox One X? I do and I prioritize the framerate. So far it's been awesome. Already put 40 hours or so. Online play has been sketchy, though. Matchmaking is still broken but you can find people's session ID. I use gamefaqs for that.

I don't understand why games with character creators do this... It would be so simple to add a menu option to change your character later on. What if you get sick of your character? What if you regret that protruding chin or big ass nose? Too bad, you're stuck with it. It makes creating a character more stressful than it should be, because there's no going back once you hit that confirm button.

MHW producer Ryozo Tsujimoto recently said that they might add full customization later.

How is everyone progressing? I'm up to High Rank, almost finished with the ecology ??? investigation thing. Still only 6-star optional quests, which sucks because the weekly bounty requires you to do 7-star quests...lol.

Just got to 6 star? I think. Just unlocked the Coral Highlands.

Probably Hunter Rank 6, but 6-star quests are High Rank which is way after you unlock that area (and another area after that).

The story is interesting, after you finish low-rank it's kind of like the story is over, but then it's like "Wait...no there's more stuff to do" and then it takes you into high rank.

Back