Monster Hunter World (Beta)

Killed the pink dino. This game is a bitch.

Anjanath? If you're only at him in low rank you got a LOT of work/fun ahead of you. :D

I am getting pretty close to the end of the high rank story missions I think. Game is so good, I need to play more online.

Starting to get pissed off at randoms carting at the last second of a Nerg fight...wasted a lot of time today with no reward. :(

On a positive note, I got help from some randoms with Vaal and Daora, so that was pretty cool. Those elder dragon fights are annoying as fuck.

The game has taken over my gaming/free time over the two weeks and after ~120 hours, I'm HR 53. I still haven't completed all those optional quests. Some of the optional quests are tricky to find. You will need to find the right researcher in an area to take on a quest. The game is grindy but addicting as hell. I still main a Great Sword. It's hard to be good with any of the other weapons. I tried them but none of them clicked as the Great Sword did for me.

I just finished the story...so far all of my experiences with randoms joining my quest has been positive, but when I join other people they tend to fuck up somehow.

I soloed Teostra, didn't want to deal with randoms failing. Did Xeno solo and with people...it kinda sucks solo, not hard but a long, boring fight.

I think I need to pick up bow or HBG, ranged seem to do way better against some of these more annoying monsters.

Now I have to do the dual tempered Bagel goose...seems like that will be a pain in the butt.

I totally spaced on this, been focusing on other things the past two weeks. How are you guys liking it in general, seems pretty well liked on here, no?

Great game, but I am a MH nut/pro anyway so my opinion is biased. I think it's definitely the best entry in the franchise, especially for newer players. There is still a fair amount of MH "wonkiness" that we've come to know and love (?), but compared to previous titles there are a huge number of QoL improvements.

What weapons have you guys been using? So far I like the long sword, but I'm trying to learn charge blade now. I think my next weapon is going to be the bow since I want to try ranged for once.

Pretty much exclusively Longsword since 3U, but I am strongly considering getting into Bow and/or HBG. I almost have all of the top-tier LSes and blade-centric armor I want so I might start devoting resources to learning and upgrading a ranged weapon.

Some of the enemies are a pain in the ass with a melee weapon so I think it'd be a good skill to have.

If I was going to go with another melee I'd probably go Charge Blade or maybe something like Lance or Gunlance.

Pretty much exclusively Longsword since 3U, but I am strongly considering getting into Bow and/or HBG. I almost have all of the top-tier LSes and blade-centric armor I want so I might start devoting resources to learning and upgrading a ranged weapon.

Some of the enemies are a pain in the ass with a melee weapon so I think it'd be a good skill to have.

If I was going to go with another melee I'd probably go Charge Blade or maybe something like Lance or Gunlance.

Yeah, this is my first MH, but it really seems like while melee weapons have mons that can be annoying, ranged can be used on everything without having the same problems. Charge blade is pretty fun. Getting sweet SAED hits is super satisfying. Definitely a fairly complicated weapon to get used to, though. Especially, compared to something like long sword.

Yeah, this is my first MH, but it really seems like while melee weapons have mons that can be annoying, ranged can be used on everything without having the same problems. Charge blade is pretty fun. Getting sweet SAED hits is super satisfying. Definitely a fairly complicated weapon to get used to, though. Especially, compared to something like long sword.

Yeah, CB is definitely one of the more technical weapons, and one of the more damage-heavy if you get good at it. Ranged has lower overall damage but if you are good you can achieve similar DPS to blade weapons, it's just more about stamina management (with the bow) and aiming (with the bowguns). Plus you have some maintenance and upkeep to do with coatings/ammo for ranged weapons.

Longsword is all about positioning and getting that spirit gauge up. Prior to MHW there was no Helmbreaker or that fade counter thing so that makes it a bit more technical now, but it's still. I read somewhere that it was the #1 most-used weapon which surprised me, because in the past that hasn't been the case. But I have seen quite a lot of people using it online so maybe that's true. Still, it will always be my favorite, but I feel the need to branch out a bit, especially since the aiming is so good for ranged weapons now.

I got a bow set going and, I think I like it...a lot. Need to work on my weak spot aiming but the ability to constantly put out damage and not worry too much about being point blank is nice.

Started with the Kadachi bow, but I think I want to farm Legiana for the ice now as well.

I got a bow set going and, I think I like it...a lot. Need to work on my weak spot aiming but the ability to constantly put out damage and not worry too much about being point blank is nice.

Started with the Kadachi bow, but I think I want to farm Legiana for the ice now as well.

I just got the rank 5 diabolos CB, and it hits like a truck. I think I'm going to go for the legiana bow as well. I have to farm it a bit anyway since I also want put together a divine blessing set for my cb.

first MH here too. I wasn't going to buy it because watching the trailers, i just didnt get what was so awesome about it TBH. But after the constantly great user and critical reviews I bit. Needless to say, ive already spent a ton of hours on it and am enjoying it immensely. I'd recommend anyone on the fence thinking this isnt their type of game to check it out. I definitely didnt think it was my type, but it has become my type of game.

I've been using pretty much the bow exclusively now, though for the smaller/easier monsters it seems like the LS is probably faster. Got a nice Attack Up / Stamina Surge / Constitution set going on, can pretty much fire endlessly.

Only peeve still is doing random quests and having people cart (especially when it's the same fucking guy 3 times...). I understand that carts happen sometimes but when you are like 2 minutes from killing the monster and you start playing it risky, you're an asshole. Can't count the number of times we got to the end of a Nerg or Xeno quest and then someone carts, failing the mission. Honestly, it should never have gotten to that point if you played it right the first 3/4 of the hunt. I think more than anything the 20-30 minutes of wasted time is what gets me the most, for zero reward.

Ugh...just annoying, I need to get a dedicated group going I guess, but I don't know too many people who play it (and are actually good :p).

Made it to HR 49 and the tempered Kirin quest. Not looking forward to that, but I have fought a few tempered monsters online and as long as you play it safe it's not bad. Kirin just likes to randomly zap you though, so...yeah, we'll see.

The dual tempered Bazel quest was not that bad with a Bow. Melee I would think it'd be a huge pain.

Ended up making a Dragon bow as well...I think I am going to stick with Bow for awhile, I'm liking it a lot.

What's the best way to earn money? I have the Argosy set to all trade in goods, but I feel like that's barely enough to keep up with all the crafting and upgrading I've been doing.

I guess I don't have a ton of weapons and armor because I haven't had a money issue. That said, at high levels the upgrades are really expensive.

Best way to farm money is to hunt with the Bandit mantle, which I believe you get after you beat an armory mission called Redefining the Power Couple (Rathian and Rathalos). When you damage monster with it on, they drop trade-in items that are worth quite a bit.

Also, make sure you are doing investigations, some of them pay out a lot. Couple with the Bandit mantle and you should be set.

Keep in mind that you probably want to solo, since the zenny reward is split among hunters in MP. Which is kinda dumb, since you have to do more work overall on the monster.

Also, I beat tempered Kirin and made it to HR 51.

Been loving the game. It def is the most accessible game out of all the MHs which is nice.

I def need to pick up a ranged weapon for some boss fights as I'm currently Gunlance and some boss fights just took AGES because of their mechanics or how long they were in the air for.

Yeah I'm a lance main, and I love it, but fights like Uragaan and Bazel are stupid bullshit for me.

I did a lot of bow when playing MHG, I should try it out again now.

The bow is really good. I have considered HBG as well, but I'm not sure I want to devote the resources yet. Even without coatings the bow is still viable, which is nice. And you can always use the Close Range coatings, which are unlimited.

I got to HR 63 as a bow main. I've seen some incredible builds with bow but I cant quite run some of them with out the decorations. The game has been incredible for me after 110~ hours into it. The grind JUST starts after you get past hr 49, Augmentations and Decorations take a massive while longer than anything before that. I really like this game and hope they keep coming with content.

What gear are you bow guys using? I'm about to start trying to put a set together for bow, but I can't decide what to use outside of Legiana armor being pretty good for it.

I can't recall exactly off the top of my head but I think my current build is:

Head: Dragon Eyepatch thing
Arms: Odogoron Vambraces Alpha
Torso: Dober Mail Beta
Waist: Nergigante Coil Beta
Boots: Dober Greaves Alpha
Fitness II Charm (still need to get a Daora Gem for Fitness III)

I was using the Kirin chest for thunder attack and Divine Protection for awhile, but switched to Dober for that sweet, sweet Attack Up.

The downside to this build is that you have very few slots to work with, but you could probably get the beta version of the Odo Vambraces and get an extra slot there.

So overall the build is focused around rapid firing shots and Attack Up. Constitution and Stamina Surge and great, I barely have any downtime when attacking. Weakness Exploit from the eyepatch is always good for pretty much any build.

Some people go for a Dragon Piercer focused build with Pierce Up and whatnot, but I feel like that skill has too much downtime. To maximize with it you really have to know the monster movements like the back of your hand, and also predict what they are going to do next. I prefer the rapid approach.

As far as bows, I have the maxed Kadachi bow, maxed Legiana bow and the maxed Vaal Hazak bow. I might look at making a fire bow eventually, or the Diablos bow for raw damage. I think you have to farm Black Diablos for that one though, which is a huge hassle.

Last edited:
I actually have a few of those pieces in my CB set, so it may be easier than I thought to get a bow set together. I know the feeling on the gem for lvl 3 charms. I'm fairly sure I hunted Anjanaths into extinction last night, and I still don't have the gem I need for lvl 3 artillery. I think I'm going to skip the Diabolos bow for now, though. I had to farm a lot of Diabolos and Black Diabolos to max out that CB, so I'm a bit over that particular monster for obvious reasons lol.

I was looking at the Kulu line yesterday, and the final bow there seemed decent, too. I has something like 205 damage, 20% affinity, and an unlockable 270 blast element. Only issue there is you have to get 3/3 free element which is on Kirin and ZM gear I believe.

Last edited:
What gear are you bow guys using? I'm about to start trying to put a set together for bow, but I can't decide what to use outside of Legiana armor being pretty good for it.

If you just started getting to HR then legiana set is pretty good starter because of the set bonus. I used it for a while until I could get to elder dragon sets. What I find about mhw is that the build heavily depends on play style and who you are facing. Its going to be multiple sets of armor and bows, also with the bows end game you get to augment but only end of the tree bows, rank 6 gets 3 augmentations, 7 gets 2, and 8 gets 1. The game tries to make them all viable end game depending on play style. So far I have seen 2-3 builds, the one that involve critical draw and dragon piercer, abusing the pillar/wall move, and high stamina quick arrow spamming. Mind you all of them need very rare decorations.

TLDR; if you arent past HR49 dont worry too much about armor set use whatever you can farm (legiana is decent though) and what fits your play style. After that you can start worrying, but really you need decorations.

Ugh this double Bazelgeuse hunt is awful. It's super annoying to do as melee, and people love to blow themselves up trying to be heroes. I've failed the hunt probably close to 15 times tonight, and it was only my fault once lol. I've gotten to the point where the second one is almost dead and had 2 people die in a matter of seconds because they got excited and tried to end it. I ended up having to turn it off for the night since I was just getting frustrated. I really think I'm going to make a decent bow tomorrow, and give it a go as ranged. Whatever asshole dev came up with this monster must have really hated melee weapons.

Ugh this double Bazelgeuse hunt is awful. It's super annoying to do as melee, and people love to blow themselves up trying to be heroes. I've failed the hunt probably close to 15 times tonight, and it was only my fault once lol. I've gotten to the point where the second one is almost dead and had 2 people die in a matter of seconds because they got excited and tried to end it. I ended up having to turn it off for the night since I was just getting frustrated. I really think I'm going to make a decent bow tomorrow, and give it a go as ranged. Whatever asshole dev came up with this monster must have really hated melee weapons.

I’d do that one solo then. For the most part let the bazelguese fight it out run around and smack them when you can. They are decently easy to evade. Just wait until you get to Kirin and hr 100

I’d do that one solo then. For the most part let the bazelguese fight it out run around and smack them when you can. They are decently easy to evade. Just wait until you get to Kirin and hr 100

I probably will end up doing it solo. I just find multiplayer hunts more fun, so I generally go that route. Probably the years of WoW raiding or something.

I soloed it, because people online are too unpredictable. The shame is that with the way MP works, it's tough to group up with randoms who end up being really good. In previous games you could easily do more hunts with the same PUG, in this one you have to either disband (meaning they are basically gone forever) or return to camp first, and THEN someone has to start another quest. The latter basically never happens, people just disband and then search for SOS flares or whatever again. So you end up playing with a bunch of random people with hugely varying skill levels.

Also, I used bow because fuck melee with Bazel.

EDIT: Also if you haven't, go ahead and add me on PSN: AFireEternal. I'll run some hunts with you, I rarely cart. :p

Last edited:
Naturally, tonight I decided to try it once more in a party, and of course we kill it no problem. Off to spam hunts to make a bow set on the way to 50.

Got the Rainbow pigment tonight, super pain to get. Not even sure its worth all that effort.

Got the Rainbow pigment tonight, super pain to get. Not even sure its worth all that effort.

I'm pretty sure I did that quest randomly online...it was a cakewalk with 4 people (though I think at least two of them had done it before or knew what they were doing, they had traps/bombs set right at the spawn for the second set of monsters), haven't tried to solo it (I don't think I even have it unlocked yet, technically).

I believe you get the Research Commission ticket which allows you to craft the Commission Armor set and some high-end charms.

Made the Tobi Kadachi bow today and threw together a set for bow. I also got lucky and got a bow charge gem doing a tempered hunt. Bow feels pretty legit. I like being able to basically do constant dps. With CB there can be a lot of waiting for an opening to unleash SAED.

I'm pretty sure I did that quest randomly online...it was a cakewalk with 4 people (though I think at least two of them had done it before or knew what they were doing, they had traps/bombs set right at the spawn for the second set of monsters), haven't tried to solo it (I don't think I even have it unlocked yet, technically).

I believe you get the Research Commission ticket which allows you to craft the Commission Armor set and some high-end charms.

Thats exactly right, didnt realize you could do it without clearing the conditions first. I guess I will do it with some of my friends now to give them the pigment.

The conditions were:
Capture all large monsters possible
HR lvl 49
Research level 6 for 15 large monsters
All optional quests done up to HR 49.

Made the Tobi Kadachi bow today and threw together a set for bow. I also got lucky and got a bow charge gem doing a tempered hunt. Bow feels pretty legit. I like being able to basically do constant dps. With CB there can be a lot of waiting for an opening to unleash SAED.

Lucky bastard...I've only gotten a bunch of crap decorations so far.

Lucky bastard...I've only gotten a bunch of crap decorations so far.

you can cheese the decoration melding. It takes a bit of work but every time you finish a quest save your data then copy it to a usb drive. Go back into the game and meld your decorations if you dont like it copy the save from the usb back over. The gems you get reset every quest, so thats why I said after every quest.

you can cheese the decoration melding. It takes a bit of work but every time you finish a quest save your data then copy it to a usb drive. Go back into the game and meld your decorations if you dont like it copy the save from the usb back over. The gems you get reset every quest, so thats why I said after every quest.

Yeah, I am familiar with "save scumming" as they call it. No real issues with it morally, but I'm just too lazy to waste that much time on it. :p

Plus really, the decoration stuff is just min-maxing at end game. I don't really feel inadequate with my current gear. Though, I would like to have some Earplugs... (or that bow deco mentioned above)

Yeah, I am familiar with "save scumming" as they call it. No real issues with it morally, but I'm just too lazy to waste that much time on it. :p

Plus really, the decoration stuff is just min-maxing at end game. I don't really feel inadequate with my current gear. Though, I would like to have some Earplugs... (or that bow deco mentioned above)
Yea I get that. I am end game right now so I am looking at exploring multiple builds and need to be really efficient with the decoration melding.

Back