Monster Hunter World (Beta)

BiH115

Gif Guy
Anyone planning on getting some time in this weekend? Preload is up around the world, but not on the U.S. store. Should be a good time.

http://www.monsterhunterworld.com/

Beta info:

Saturday, December 9, at 9 AM PT / 12 PM ET / 5 PM GMT until Tuesday, December 12 (same time).

5.9GB of space required; PS Plus required.

The beta features three quests across two environments: the Ancient Forest and Wildspire Waste. In the Ancient Forest, players will be able to hunt the Great Jagras and the Anjanath, while Wildspire Waste is home to the rock-headed Barroth.

Each quest can be completed either solo or with up to three other players. You'll also be able to choose from all 14 different weapon types, which you can test out in the Training Room. Additionally, Capcom says players who complete each mission in the beta will earn "some useful bonus items" in the full title when it releases next month.

Just came to post about this...pre-load should be available now or soon in the US. Can't wait! This game is one of the main reasons I picked up a PS4 Pro.

EDIT: Also if anyone wants to friend on PS4, I believe my name is AFireEternal on PSN.

Just came to post about this...pre-load should be available now or soon in the US. Can't wait! This game is one of the main reasons I picked up a PS4 Pro.

Yep, just found out a bit ago that it was up. I sent the download to my system and it should be done by now. Definitely pumped to play this on the Pro as well. If anyone wants to connect on PSN, just PM.

More of a demo than a beta. But having never played any MH games before I enjoyed it. Ran fine on my basic PS4. Tons of weapons to try each with unique styles. Visuals looked amazing. I'm still on the fence about picking it up since I'm more of a story- driven gamer but i can see myself getting into it if I can convince some of my other friends to join in.

Forgot to come back and post about this, lol...Horizon Zero Dawn has been taking up a lot of my time and today I played a 6-hour game of Twilight Imperium 4th Ed, so I haven't had a huge amount of playtime.

Finished all three quests solo on the first try - I think I carted on the Anjanath because I got stuck in a really annoying stunlock combo attack which took me from full health to zero with no chance of recovery or avoidance. Not a fan of shit like that being possible, but I guess it can happen.

The Great Jagras quest I finished in like 5 minutes...lol.

Longsword 4 life! Was using mostly Attack Boost and Critical Eye armor pieces.

Controls feel good, I am not a huge fan of the item wheel thing with the right stick, as I always want to let go of the L1 button instead of the stick, which is what you have to do to activate the item. I guess there is a control scheme to make it R3 instead which seems better, but I haven't tried it yet.

Didn't really get a feel for the enivronmental traps and whatnot, but the time limit on the quests was so low it was hard to explore and experiment. I think it took me almost 19 minutes to solo the Anjanath. Supposedly in the full game there will be unlimited time exploration modes, as well as 50-60 minute quests like usual.

Overall I am super excited for this game. I started playing MH with MH3 Ultimate on the Wii (briefly), then got it on the 3DS, and put about 100 hours into MH3U and MH4U on that system. So for me the graphics in this game are mind-blowing for Monster Hunter.

I opted to Prioritize Resolution on the PS4 Pro and the performance was fine, didn't feel the need to switch to Framerate mode. I might try the Prioritize Graphics which is supposed to increase the fidelity.

is this game meant to be played co-op or can someone play through the entire game solo?

is this game meant to be played co-op or can someone play through the entire game solo?

You can play the entire game solo for sure, but the lure is to play multiplayer, and take down monsters with people online. Much more exciting than the cat bots.

I had a good time playing for a few hours on Saturday. The fights were fun, and the combat felt super smooth. I also prioritized resolution, the game ran great, and it looked fantastic. I think I'm sold, will definitely be playing at launch.

You can play the entire game solo for sure, but the lure is to play multiplayer, and take down monsters with people online. Much more exciting than the cat bots.

I had a good time playing for a few hours on Saturday. The fights were fun, and the combat felt super smooth. I also prioritized resolution, the game ran great, and it looked fantastic. I think I'm sold, will definitely be playing at launch.

not going to wait for the PC release?

not going to wait for the PC release?

Don't really use my PC anymore, I switched over the the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (just recently added it to the repertoire). More people I know on the consoles, so it's been a blast playing with them (plus the exclusives).

Don't really use my PC anymore, I switched over the the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X (just recently added it to the repertoire). More people I know on the consoles, so it's been a blast playing with them (plus the exclusives).

^^ I don't know who this is any more. ;)

This game looks great, sadly all my friends only have PC so I'll have to wait.

If the PC release is good I'll buy both. But I'm guessing this game will work best with a controller anyway, and a large portion of the playerbase will be on PS4, so...

If the PC release is good I'll buy both. But I'm guessing this game will work best with a controller anyway, and a large portion of the playerbase will be on PS4, so...

I'm thinking that'll be the case as well, being that it's a Japanese game first and foremost, but I've got a feeling that the PC version will be popular as well (though not to the same degree).

This looked really interesting to me since one Youtuber I sub for Horizon Zero Dawn content said that if you love HZD, then you'll love this type of game. Well HZD is pretty much my GOTY (don't have a Switch yet) so far so I'm definitely in for more HZD style combat and exploration. Co-op makes it even better if there's enough to make it worth it in the beta. I just subbed to PSN+ on the $40/year deal over BF week too, so I'll be downloading it when I get home today.

So can we not play it anymore past the 12th or can you just not get in on it anymore past that (link in OP is blocked at work)?

I believe the beta ends on the 12th, so no playing beyond that.

As for the combat...yeah, I can see the comparison to HZD and fighting some of the bigger machines. Elemental weaknesses, weak points, ability to break off parts, etc.

One thing I didn't realize is that you can actually eat food to get buffs at the camp...behind the tent there is a Canteen with a table. Pretty cool.

are the graphics good?...every video they've released the graphics look lackluster at best...I'm hoping the PC version is a major step up

are the graphics good?...every video they've released the graphics look lackluster at best...I'm hoping the PC version is a major step up

Just played it for about 20 mins on the first quest. Graphics are adequate, I'd say. I played it on a Pro with the higher IQ setting (as opposed to the higher frame rate or resolution setting) since I had my Pro on my 1080p TV at the moment. I thought the lighting and environmental effects were decent, but the textures everywhere seemed to be a bit lower res compared to Horizon, but that game sets a pretty high bar too.

I wish the beta lasted a bit longer, as I only got a very small taste of the game and don't think I'll be able to finish the other two quests before it ends tomorrow. I like what I see so far though and am still interested in the game, but I don't think I'll be buying it at full price at launch.. very few titles ever warrant that from me though. Hopefully they have a deal for PS+ users a couple months after launch or something, as that's how I got Horizon for $33 just a few months after it launched back in May.

Last edited:
For a Monster Hunter game the graphics are amazing. :p

That said, it's no HZD but I think it looks good.

Played for a half hour. it seemed fun but really didn't enjoy the frame drops when the action got going. Wonder if it's going to be optimized before then or if that's just what it's gonna be.

Last edited:
Played for a half hour. it seemed fun but really didn't enjoy the frame drops when the action got going. Wonder if it's going to be optimized before then or if that's just what it's gonna be.

I assume you're on a standard PS4? No drops on the Pro even in Resolution mode, but yeah I can't speak to the standard PS4.

Beta is coming back for all PS4 users (not just PS Plus).

DRGWmO7UQAAHGDX.jpg

Download is the same as before, so if you played during the previous beta, you can jump right into this one again.

Tried this and so far I think I like it. This is my first time playing a Monster Hunter game so I'm not really sure what to make of it yet.

Tried this and so far I think I like it. This is my first time playing a Monster Hunter game so I'm not really sure what to make of it yet.

They have definitely done a lot to make it more noob-friendly. Tons of QoL improvements over previous titles. I found previous ones a bit hard to get into, but once you get past some of the learning curve you get hooked. ;)

You biznitches pumped for this? I'm eagerly awaiting my Collector's box. Two week countdown now.

Didn't get in on the Collector's Edition (didn't have a PS4 until recently), but am super excited for this.

Kirin was confirmed...hope it's not as annoying as in MH4U, lol.

Last edited:
I don't pre-order stuff or go for collector's editions these days, but I will be picking it up close to launch.

I generally don't either, but I played the beta so I am pretty sure I'm going to like it. Plus I am a big MonHun fan. :D

I'm liking the different environments the game has...very different settings and great use of color...hopefully the PC version features a major graphics improvement as the console footage has a lot of poor textures, lighting etc...is this game all about fighting monsters every few minutes or is there an overall story?

I'm liking the different environments the game has...very different settings and great use of color...hopefully the PC version features a major graphics improvement as the console footage has a lot of poor textures, lighting etc...is this game all about fighting monsters every few minutes or is there an overall story?

I would say the focus in this game is always going to be maintaining framerate, so I doubt we will see much better graphics. Would be cool but I'm not holding my breath. I think it looks great on the PS4 Pro, anyway.

As for the story, I'm not sure with this new game. In the past you would go on quests where you hunt a specific monster(s), and then at the end of the "rank" (group of quests) there was generally a key quest you would do that would usually be story-related with some cutscenes and stuff. In between quests, you could talk to people in the hub village and get some lore as well. In this new game, there seems to be much more focus on story and "exploration" quests, so I would say that story-wise this will probably be one of the strongest in the series. But the focus has always been: kill monsters, get monster parts, upgrade your stuff. Generally involves a lot of grinding specific monsters to get low-drop-rate parts. But you can do that with friends online, which is cool. It sounds like the online features of this new game are even better, like being able to join quests in-progress (within the first 10 min of the quest) and other matchmaking features that weren't present in previous titles.

I've been playing monster Hunter games for over a decade, but I'm not playing the beta.

I can't wait for the PS4 console release and I'll be getting this for PC as well. It'll be nice to play on a TV/monitor again (since MH3U).

I played a round or two of the beta online...lots of fun. Fought Nergigante with some randoms...tried Light Bowgun which I never liked on 3DS due to the shitty aiming, but on the PS4 it's really nice to use. The Bow and Arrow is also pretty good as well, I might actually have to try using them more in MHW.

You do get another "stuff" pack in the full game for finishing that quest.

Definitely down for that. My PSN ID is AFireEternal.

Added, you'll know who I am by the weird, inside joke, username. I'm surprised we aren't friends on PSN, we like nearly all the same games.

Back