Modern Warfare 2 Sales Higher Than Expected

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 were much higher than expected. Raking in an estimated $550 million in the first five days it was out, the game has broken just about every record you can think of. I wonder how the numbers would have been if the people boycotting the game would have bought a copy?

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the "biggest entertainment launch in history," Activision said in a statement. In its first five days of availability, the game set a worldwide record with about $550 million in sales, according to internal Activision figures. It's impressive. But more impressive is the list of launches that it beat out.

I would bet not... I see more people on my steam list playing L4D2 than MW2..

But even then, if 100,000 people "didn't" buy the game... it'd be $556 million vs. $550... not a big difference to them, which is maybe why they didn't give a shit.

I bought the game and really enjoy it.

all the complaining IMHO was over nothing.
Sure, I guess it could have been better, but its not that bad.

The game is fun and plays well...that's the important part for me...maybe I'm not hardcore enough.:)

You are assuming they didn't? I would bet good money they did.

My thoughts also

I'm surprised so many people are willing to spend 60 dollars on an expansion...

I'm surprised so many people are acting like $60.00 is a big deal...I'll play the game for months.....maybe a year...so whats that like 5 bucks a month?

Jesus, that much change probably falls out of holes my pockets in a years time...;)

The whole boycott was stupid, and did nothing but give the game free publicity.

I'm surprised so many people are willing to spend 60 dollars on an expansion...

Yup. The boycotters I know still bought it (or are going to buy it when they get money), and are enjoying it.

Just wait till they start charging you for the first map pack in 3 months. I bet you will start liking the game even more......

Just love all the ppl that were on the boycott bandwagon and then jumped off the day it released and ran to their nearest best buy to buy a copy.......traitors !!!!

Just wait till they start charging you for the first map pack in 3 months.

they already did, it was called MW2. I'm not "boycotting" this game, i just honestly don't think it's worth the money.

L4D2 is worse. L4D was a hl2 mod, L4D2 is a map pack for a mod, for 50 dollars.

they already did, it was called MW2. I'm not "boycotting" this game, i just honestly don't think it's worth the money.

Yup. Just because it's the Source engine means it's a mod..

I was one of those poor suckers who bought L4D thinking it would get a lot of developer support. As they say, fool me once...

From my calculations, this is around 9 million units sold. A game such as this, if it would have been done right, could have sold at least over 2 million copies on the pc either through retail or digital distribution. This is over 22% of profit that could have been had through the pc if they would have made the pc version a pc version.

I dont get the bid deal. Like someone said I will be playing the multiplayer for months so I see great value in the game. Oh yeah, its fun as shit too so that helps :)

I still have no intention of buying it. I was never interested in the boycott so much, but I tend to shy away from PC games that have no mod support.

So, if the game uses an engine another game used, it is nothing more than a mod? You realize that means the vast majority of games out there are, by your definition, nothing more than a mod?

I like the fact that they are comparing a game that costs $50+ each to movies that cost 1/5 to 1/4 of that.

yep, this is the age of more for less. 60 bucks for the same thing again.

I haven't kept up with MW2 but the L4D thing really grates. Especially since I still don't see why people loved L4D, the Coop was freaking amazing and I will be the first one to admit i enjoyed it. However, after a playthrough i saw no point to replaying it. It's not like you get some kind of story or branching path's Once was enough and that most certainly does not justify the price tag. That on top of dried up support doesn't exact make one jump for joy at a full priced "sequel"

Yup. Just because it's the Source engine means it's a mod..

Unless my sarcasm detector is broken i'm going to say that is in fact sarcasm. If that is the case i agree, full games can come out on source. However in the case in this instance, its new maps for the same game with some tweaks, sounds like a new campaign of the same game...last time I checked that is usually referred to as an expansion pack.

So, if the game uses an engine another game used, it is nothing more than a mod? You realize that means the vast majority of games out there are, by your definition, nothing more than a mod?

Not what I'm saying at all, but when the entirety of the game is 4 rinse-and-repeat scenarios, it might as well be a mod.

I didn't buy it, don't intend to either, wasn't really a boycott but I just saw it as poor value I don't game as much as I use to so I only buy a few games a year. Don't like paying more for less. The product is worth whatever the consumer is willing the pay for it, its worth 60 bucks to a lot of people just not me. Same reason people line up to buy the stat update known as Madden every year.

Yeah, PC game developers are to blame, not piracy. I've bought most major PC releases over the last 5 years because I finally have the extra 50 dollars time to time. Most of the titles were shit.

I absolutely have no problem with kids "trying" out software before they decide to buy it.

Even when I could download a demo, the demo was buggy, limited or would not run. And then, you go and buy the retail thinking it's been debugged and optimized ... LOL yeah riiiiiiight. Same junk.

L4D, yeah, I feel burned, a couple of hundred thousand did as well.

COD: MW2 PC multilayer is horrible. Even with a clean install, all updated drivers, 4 core rig running a new ATI 5870, 1/2 the maps are smooth inside buildings and jerky / laggy as hell outside. 1/2 the maps are fine. 75% of all the match-made games are laggy. The experience is ... just horrible and I am pretty pissed off. So are, again, hundreds of thousands of people.

They might want to enjoy their success now with the current COD title, but I have a strong suspicion they have also lost hundreds of thousands of customers. I know myself and our clan, all 17 of us are very unhappy. At least 1/2 of us are not buying their next title at this point

Well I can say I didn't contribute to that ;) I won't support higher prices with reduced functionality and increased long term cost (DLC Maps).

@ kledar586

Wish I had put more thought into this. The warning signs were all over the net and I didn't take heed.

I'm out $65 dollars for the PC title.

Anyone else here thinking about buying .... be very careful and just take a few minutes to look around the web.

By that definition, just think of all the suckers buying UT3 mods. :eek:

I never played the first MW. I have played the other Call of duty titles, but I did not play them online only because I was already having fun with other online games that I just never game them a shot. I downloaded MW2 from Steam. I have to say the online learning curve is a bit steep coming from UT3 and games like that. So far I am enjoying it for the most part, even if I am getting my ass handed to me. I have had zero problems running the game. Actually I was thinking that this game runs great on my rig and it look pretty good also. The thing that I hate about the multiplayer is that I can not choose what server to join. I like a server browser to pick and choose. Sometimes I don't want to play 8 people, sometimes I might want to play less.

@ kledar586

Wish I had put more thought into this. The warning signs were all over the net and I didn't take heed.

I'm out $65 dollars for the PC title.

Anyone else here thinking about buying .... be very careful and just take a few minutes to look around the web.

don't worry tho, according to IW and their fanboys only the sales number matter, so now the next incarnation will probably got $70 and you have to pay extra to enable mouse and keyboard support all the while making snarky comments at their former customers.

I didn't buy it, don't intend to either, wasn't really a boycott but I just saw it as poor value I don't game as much as I use to so I only buy a few games a year. Don't like paying more for less. The product is worth whatever the consumer is willing the pay for it, its worth 60 bucks to a lot of people just not me. Same reason people line up to buy the stat update known as Madden every year.

Ditto. I cancelled my preorder when I found out the game was going to cost more for less. While I would have gladly paid the extra had the feature set remained the same concerning multiplayer support, I don't begrudge Activision's choices...it is their game and they can do what they want with it. By the same token, it is my money and I have every right to choose how I spend it.

I suppose if the price drops over time or features are added I might perceive value and purchase the game, but until then, I will stay on the sideline and play plenty of other decent games that have come out over the past few months.

Anyone who doesn't see the long term consequences of this game succeeding so well on the PC better take a second look and think harder. In the end it will probably be a bad thing. The superficial counter-argument you see on the net of "but it was fun!" is just that... superficial. The kind of person who submits to this mentality will probably take a lot of abuses willingly and not care as long as appearances are kept up.

The fact is a technically mismatched game is being sold to you in the hopes of shutting out modding, increasing PC game prices, and implementing a lazy P2P system which spawns lag and does not fit a PC architecture. Hacking and exploiting is more prevalent in PC gaming and therefore needs more policing by admins, it is not an "elitist" system. PC games, since they use a mouse, require more precision and therefore need the low latency of a client-server system. PCs and consoles are just not the same thing. It is not an elitist argument, it is just the fact that there are two different systems and what works for one will not work for another.

Hopefully this will just apply to only IW games and people who buy games without a care for these things will just buy into it and other PC gamers will just play whatever Valve/DICE/Blizzard game comes out which will stick to a PC oriented system.

The game looks excellent. I'll buy a copy as soon as they add dedicated server support.

And the award for snarky comment of the day goes to....

LOL!

I actually enjoyed the single player portion of the game on the 360, I really did. Haven't gotten too much time in on the PC version yet BUT there are already people hacking / screwing up the game. I got grenade bombed to death by some super jumping l33t-h4X0r yesterday...

...and people wonder why the developers want to lock thier games down. :(

LOL!

I actually enjoyed the single player portion of the game on the 360, I really did. Haven't gotten too much time in on the PC version yet BUT there are already people hacking / screwing up the game. I got grenade bombed to death by some super jumping l33t-h4X0r yesterday...

and locking it down has help so far seeing umm as you already got killed by a haxor

I bought it for for the 360. It sucks to be the type of gamer that only sticks to one platform these days. I'm enjoying the single-player and when I finish it I'll get my gold account re-activated and try out the multi-player. I feel bad for you the rest of yous with all your issues and problems.

If the damn 5870's would get in stock I would buy the damn game...
DAMN you TSMC and AMD!!!!!

If you didn't like what IW did to the game, why did you buy it? And if you bought it without doing some research on the game (there were plenty of posts on the issues), caveat emptor. I enjoyed the game and was worth the $50 (on sale at Fry's) I paid for it. I did my research before I bought and I didn't care about the stuff IW did to it.

It's the Halo phenomenon. I was equally as surprised when a par/sub-par game like Halo made record sales and truly great games like Fallout 3 and Unreal Tournament see modest sales.

It depends far more heavily on advertising than it does the quality of the product being sold.

LOL!

It's not like there's something magical about the 360 that makes it impervious to cheating. In fact, the majority of piracy for MW2 has been on console (recall the massive XBL crackdown that banned a large number of consoles and created a secondary market for these slightly disabled devices?) The fact of the matter is that regardless of the device used to play the game, you're going to run into the same problems.

Really, the reason why a lot of people are angry is not that the game is particularly bad nor that it doesn't have dedicated servers (some might beg to differ), but rather that the removal of these key features that made the previous title so great isn't to improve the gaming experience, but rather a retooling of the franchise to maximize profits. There have been a number of leaks indicating Activision wants to start charging monthly fees for playing on their servers. This would be near impossible to do if any regular user could host their own (why pay for something that you an get for free, disregarding the cost of 'net which you need in both cases)?

It's a classic case of business interests outweighing a general concern for quality. The free market has its pros and cons, and this is an example of the latter.

It's the Halo phenomenon. I was equally as surprised when a par/sub-par game like Halo made record sales and truly great games like Fallout 3 and Unreal Tournament see modest sales.

It depends far more heavily on advertising than it does the quality of the product being sold.

Perhaps your idea of what par/sub-par is, is not very accurate.

Back