Modern Warfare 2 Sales Higher Than Expected

Perhaps your idea of what par/sub-par is, is not very accurate.

Considering the offerings at the time, Halo was about average. It did, however, have the advantage of being one of the first of its genre on the Xbox, and continued that streak of dominance through 360, only to be recently dethroned by Call of Duty (Halo 3 ODST was a horribly boring disappointment, and I couldn't play more than 3 chapters into Halo 3 without my eyes glazing over, I ended up returning that game fairly quickly as a trade-in for Gears of War 2).

The game just wasn't that good. It wasn't bad, but I don't look back happily on my experience as I do with other console games I love.

It's the Halo phenomenon. I was equally as surprised when a par/sub-par game like Halo made record sales and truly great games like Fallout 3 and Unreal Tournament see modest sales.

It depends far more heavily on advertising than it does the quality of the product being sold.

Plus the target population of games like these are teenagers. Fallout 3 is imo more of an adult game not because of the gore, but the complexity and understanding of how skills, mood, perks, etc... work. FO3 is not like halo or cod as it is not an instant gratification game. Run and gun shooters are becoming a lot more popular with kids now of days for this alone as we are seeing more games being simplified. This is why you see more adults than kids playing games like oblivion.

Anyone who doesn't see the long term consequences of this game succeeding so well on the PC better take a second look and think harder. In the end it will probably be a bad thing. The superficial counter-argument you see on the net of "but it was fun!" is just that... superficial. The kind of person who submits to this mentality will probably take a lot of abuses willingly and not care as long as appearances are kept up.

Ok, this argument is just plain odd. When did a game being fun become superficial? We're supposed to play games that aren't fun because they conform to some technical specification?

Gee, I hope you're not a game developer.:confused:

From my calculations, this is around 9 million units sold. A game such as this, if it would have been done right, could have sold at least over 2 million copies on the pc either through retail or digital distribution. This is over 22% of profit that could have been had through the pc if they would have made the pc version a pc version.

Easily could have gotten close to 2 million on pc. Last I saw it didn't even get 800k.

Unless my sarcasm detector is broken i'm going to say that is in fact sarcasm. If that is the case i agree, full games can come out on source. However in the case in this instance, its new maps for the same game with some tweaks, sounds like a new campaign of the same game...last time I checked that is usually referred to as an expansion pack.

So you just described MW2....

Perhaps your idea of what par/sub-par is, is not very accurate.

I think he's pretty on the ball here. I remember when Halo hit many of us scratched our heads with the same basic response "x game does this better or y game has had that feature for a while on pc. What is the big deal"

It was an average game that hit a generation of gamers on a console. halo, if pc only would have come and gone.

his point is also quit valid in the case of the games in question.

I'm surprised so many people are willing to spend 60 dollars on an expansion...

An expansion to a mediocre game to boot. Fix the 1/2 second motion lag in MP and drop the atrocious campaign and the game would be 10x better.

Too bad none of the games that are out setting records like this are truly great instant classics.

Bottom line folks, this is a good game based on one of the most popular franchises ever. Boycotters are simply ignoring this and looking silly in a way.

Look if you didn't want it that's fine. It's a free country. But what seems to be bother the boycotters is the fact that for everyone one of them there were 10 people willing to buy this game and that seems to have bothered them more than IW technical decisions on the PC.

Bought the game, will probably by a couple more PC versions as gifts and even an Xbox version as a gift. Don't have a console.

I too don't like the decisions that IW made for the PC but I'm enjoying this game, its fun. Yeah, I know, a fun game is no excuse for buying and playing it. </sarcasm>

I'm surprised so many people are acting like $60.00 is a big deal...I'll play the game for months.....maybe a year...so whats that like 5 bucks a month?

Jesus, that much change probably falls out of holes my pockets in a years time...;)

Too bad the single player only lasts 5-6 hours. I'm sorry it takes you so long to play the game.

The CoD series already IS CLASSIC.

I love the CoD series, the single player is GREAT but there's no justification for $60 for five hours and then the multiplayer(read: replay value) was neutered for PC players.

I really wish some of the bigger companies would not even publish on the PC. Would like to see them go away.

Last few EA games I bought, the game had a lobby and wanted you to keep spending money on extra's.

Then you read these blogs of former developers, I've seen a handful, where they openly talk about content that was made for the game but ended up getting pulled out so it could be re-sold as DLC. It's all about money, not the art of the game. Sure, make a profit, but don't whore out your customers.

Also, I won't say the toons name or what class he plays in wow, but one of bigger ups, one of the producers to COD: MW2 players in a guild called Fever on Malorne and I've talked to him. The one thing he told me was not only was it a port to the PC, he admitted the PC version had some short comings over the console versions.

I too don't like the decisions that IW made for the PC but I'm enjoying this game, its fun. Yeah, I know, a fun game is no excuse for buying and playing it. </sarcasm>

The boy cotters are not saying the game is bad, but I think most of them are saying they don't like the changes they are making. If it sold well, other dev's would follow suit and PC gaming would start to change for the worse. That's what they're trying to stop, they don't care how "good" the game is or what everyone is saying about it... they don't want to give IW / Activision the idea that their changes were for the better. So shitty PC sales should help enforce this concept.

If we wanted to play console games we'd buy a fucking console... there's a reason people prefer PC gaming and other's prefer console gaming...

Yeah, my guess is that this doesn't included downloads and this was only the first 5 days. I guarantee there are well over a million PC units sold by now.

There were at one time 800,000 preorders for pc I have read. Pre pc neuter announcement of course.

Bottom line folks, this is a good game based on one of the most popular franchises ever. Boycotters are simply ignoring this and looking silly in a way.

Look if you didn't want it that's fine. It's a free country. But what seems to be bother the boycotters is the fact that for everyone one of them there were 10 people willing to buy this game and that seems to have bothered them more than IW technical decisions on the PC.

Bought the game, will probably by a couple more PC versions as gifts and even an Xbox version as a gift. Don't have a console.

It would be silly to insist that the only reason the game is being boycotted is because people are lying and saying the game isn't good. There are deeper reasons that don't actually include Modern Warfare 2 in the decision of many not to do business with Activision.

Secondly, not buying a game because it's too expensive or because you don't like it doesn't constitute a boycott, those are just market conditions (I don't buy a car because the engine is too small for me, or I feel the car's price is disproportional to its actual state are examples, which are obviously not boycotts). A boycott is abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with products from a particular source (in this case a game dev company and its publisher) as a form of protest. Many people have different reasons to want to do such a thing, mine is the obvious retooling (as mentioned before) of the Call of Duty franchise to be nothing more than a money cow, with the publisher tightening control over DLC (formerly mods and maps) and server access. It is apparent that the line fed to consumers about "improving user experience" was merely fancy dressing on an implementation change the can be milked for additional profits with minimal effort (why release a new game every year or so when you can drop a $15 DLC each month to a 8 million player base, or better yet charge them monthly server usage fees much like an MMO?)

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96129-Call-of-Duty-to-get-WoW-Like-Subscriptions

I won't buy any Activision games anymore because of this (until this is resolved, or indefinitely), not just MW2, that's what I boycott is. An ethical stance rather than merely consumer whim.

There were at one time 800,000 preorders for pc I have read. Pre pc neuter announcement of course.

There's no doubt the the consolization on the PC hurt sales on the platform which really sucks and it worries me that future versions of CoD will be console only, at which time I'll stop playing the game. That's why I'm going to buy at least one more copy.

I'll pay for CoD MW2 and I'm HAPPY to do so. I love this series and I want to see it stay on the PC.

If we wanted to play console games we'd buy a fucking console... there's a reason people prefer PC gaming and other's prefer console gaming...

There's really nothing new for me to say here that hasn't been already addressed and beaten to death here or someplace else. So I'll just quickly say that I expect more from my PC games and will not be buying this title or titles like it.

In short, "I agree."

The issue is not just about MW2. I'm sure its a great game, despite the PC castration, but there's a bigger issue.

I've had my beef with Activison ever since they didnt allow GH3 guitars to work for RB guitars on the PS3(been resolved since then). I saw how money grubbing they were and they've gotten worse since. When the gaming industry is treated only like a business (maximing profits, ect), gamers as a whole lose. People can argue about MW2 being a good/bad game by Activision's choices, but the fact is, Activision has the power to poison the entire gaming industry. They were able to screw people over and get away with it. How much further are they going to push the limits? PC gamers get screwed over now, at this rate it wont be long before the console gamers start feeling the shift.

**** Activsion, I can live with one publisher run their franchises into the ground. The fear is, since they are making money, will EA revert back to their old business plans (EA recently posted quarterly losses)? If this is a paradigm shift in the gaming industry, then I'm scared of what games and the industry will be like 4-5 years down the line. I have no issues paying premiums for good games (DLC, MMO, ect) but I refuse to support games where profits is more important than quality.

In b4 Activision blames PC piracy for the loss of some of their sales.

just wait
MW3 is going to be $70 retail, + monthly subscription to play online, + a flood of expensive DLC

I'm probably risking a ban here, but not only won't I be picking this up for PC...it also pushed me into finally getting a 360 for Forza. Here's the worst part...ill be picking up COD6 for it soon. I feel so ashamed. :-(

I'm probably risking a ban here, but not only won't I be picking this up for PC...it also pushed me into finally getting a 360 for Forza. Here's the worst part...ill be picking up COD6 for it soon. I feel so ashamed. :-(

Boo this man.

j/k

Could the lack of dedicated servers have thwarted enough pirates into buying the game?

Maybe if it wasn't far easier to play multiplayer on steam with a pirated copy of MW2 than any other game I've experienced.

Just wait till they start charging you for the first map pack in 3 months. I bet you will start liking the game even more......

Just love all the ppl that were on the boycott bandwagon and then jumped off the day it released and ran to their nearest best buy to buy a copy.......traitors !!!!

At the end of the day it's just a game. I don't understand why people try to boycott something of no significance in a persons daily life. Boycott taxes or healthcare, but video games is just silly. I didn't buy Halo ODST because I felt it was a gimmick, so I passed it over. We can all choose what to spend our money on. Having people in forums tell me not to buy a game because they're not happy with it is silly.

9.4 million in 5 days with the pc being 6% of those sales. Don't know if this includes steam or not.
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5871

So the game only sold about 564k on the PC in the first five days.

By comparison:

Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies within the first 24 hours.

The Burning Crusade sold 2.4 million within its first 24 hours.

The Sims 3 sold 1.4 million copies in its first week.

At the end of the day it's just a game. I don't understand why people try to boycott something of no significance in a persons daily life.

Uh, we're gamers here. Games are significant in our daily lives. Any person who took the time to post in this thread, whether they bought the game or not, is a gamer.

Maybe you can argue that the $60 you're paying is still worth it, but you can't argue that you aren't getting less for more. Why anyone would think it's silly that other people are opposed to that is beyond me.

I friend of mine who loved COD4 seemed really let down with COD6. He didn't even finish sp. Is it that bad?

Uh, we're gamers here. Games are significant in our daily lives. Any person who took the time to post in this thread, whether they bought the game or not, is a gamer.

Maybe you can argue that the $60 you're paying is still worth it, but you can't argue that you aren't getting less for more. Why anyone would think it's silly that other people are opposed to that is beyond me.

OK if the argument is about getting less for more money, that's an argument we can have, and I agree with you. But to tell people to boycott it is silly.

Back