• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MLAA will never support WinXP?

Only if the user is using more than 4GB of memory though, but yeah, it is so common that now a days, why not. ;)

That 4GB of memory includes all addressable memory. Video card memory, sound card memory, etc etc. You can quickly get your system RAM down under 3GB in a hurry.
 
That 4GB of memory includes all addressable memory. Video card memory, sound card memory, etc etc. You can quickly get your system RAM down under 3GB in a hurry.

This is very true, in the system in my sig I'm down to 3.25GB of RAM, though 256MB of it is shared with the IGP.

Yeah, 32-bit XP is blech and I'm not surprised AMD and NVIDIA are starting to cut support for newer features. The OS is almost 10 years old and is broken.

But this thread needs to end since the final decision for this feature is AMD's.

Even with Apple, they end support after only 2-3 years for products, so I think it was very cool of AMD and NVIDIA to continue support for 9+ years.
 
Well, people (particularly older folks) seem to stick with a particular OS until their computer explodes. These are the same folks who download illegal files, then wonder why a window keeps popping up every 10 seconds; or why windows no longer boots. You pretty much gotta force them to change.

Not say that's the reason why some people stick with a particular OS........I guess just have bad experiences with older people and computers.
 
I still don't understand all the teenage flaming here.
Windows 7 is a good OS, but it's NOT the best thing since sliced bread, YET, and it won't do your laundry, either. There are a fair number of people with HIGH END computers that get MUCH better performance in Black Ops on XP, and on windows 7, the game is basically unplayable for them, with freezes, stuttering, and so on. So they install XP and the game runs like gravy.

Yeah, blame Treyarch, Nvidia, or whoever you want. But the bottom line is, RIGHT NOW, for those people, they need to boot into XP. Tell them to "Get with the times" is going to do nothing except make you look like an arrogant jackass.

When W7 performance is fixed for those people, (I have no problem in black ops (actually runs better in w7 for me)), when I can install PPJoy without windows crying that the driver is unsigned, and other third party drivers, then I can sit back and say this is the best OS ever. It's still basically a streamlined tweaked Vista (and I dual boot).

Heck, until the Mark C mouse fix came along early this year, Windows 7 was HORRIBLE For pro FPS gamers, too! Some of the BEST players in the world saw their accuracy plummet with W7's floaty mouse feel, and they switched back to XP, and back to "boom headshot". And some people still have problems with "different" mouse feel in W7 (same thing in Vista) compared to XP...

(Last OS with perfect out of the box mouse control was 2k, which used 98's ballistics...)
 
I still don't understand all the teenage flaming here.
Windows 7 is a good OS, but it's NOT the best thing since sliced bread, YET, and it won't do your laundry, either. There are a fair number of people with HIGH END computers that get MUCH better performance in Black Ops on XP, and on windows 7, the game is basically unplayable for them, with freezes, stuttering, and so on. So they install XP and the game runs like gravy.

Yeah, blame Treyarch, Nvidia, or whoever you want. But the bottom line is, RIGHT NOW, for those people, they need to boot into XP. Tell them to "Get with the times" is going to do nothing except make you look like an arrogant jackass.

When W7 performance is fixed for those people, (I have no problem in black ops (actually runs better in w7 for me)), when I can install PPJoy without windows crying that the driver is unsigned, and other third party drivers, then I can sit back and say this is the best OS ever. It's still basically a streamlined tweaked Vista (and I dual boot).

Heck, until the Mark C mouse fix came along early this year, Windows 7 was HORRIBLE For pro FPS gamers, too! Some of the BEST players in the world saw their accuracy plummet with W7's floaty mouse feel, and they switched back to XP, and back to "boom headshot". And some people still have problems with "different" mouse feel in W7 (same thing in Vista) compared to XP...

(Last OS with perfect out of the box mouse control was 2k, which used 98's ballistics...)

It's because Win XP is DX9 only, of course an incredibly graphically watered-down game is going to run faster.

As for the floaty mouse feel, it can be adjusted.

As for getting with the times, yeah, it's time. It's 9 years old, obsolete, does not support new formats, has a plethora of exploitations and is very vulnerable to viruses/malware, and does not have ANY of the awesome features in Win 7, OS X, or Ubuntu Linux.

Yeah, it's time to move on, but to each their own.

I couldn't convince my friends parents to move off of Win 98SE (they are still on it now) and I doubt I will convince XP fanbois either, haha. :D
 
As long as they continue driver support for XP, I'll still be using it. :)

Windows XP is a ten year old operating system. It's time to move on. It would be one thing if Windows 7 hadn't proven itself or had the bad (albeit undeserved) reputation Windows Vista had. However Windows 7 is probably the best operating system Microsoft ever released for the desktop and laptop markets. In Beta testing it was solid and after retail release it did nothing but improve. Some people don't want to move on because they don't want to learn a new operating system or because they don't think they can deal with some of the changes in it. Give it time. The learning curve isn't exactly a steep one. It's still Windows and fairly intuitive.

Windows XP doesn't install itself with proper alignment on SSD's. Windows XP doesn't handle DirectX 10 or 11. It won't do Eyefinity or NVSurround. Windows XP is only 32bit (there is a less popular 64bit variant with minimal driver support, especially now) so it has the limitations that go along with it. The most important of which is the 4GB address limit for memory. Windows XP was a great operating system with a very long run of popularity and longevity. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the time has come to move onto newer operating systems. You remind me of the people who used to swear by DOS. They used to say stuff like "I don't need Windows, DOS forever!" Yet none of the people I know of that said that would dream of running DOS today. Move on, you'll be glad you did.
 
Last edited:
It has? Thats strange, my PC seems fine.

lol, that's a good one. There's probably shit on there your protection software won't even pick up. Malware runs deep in XP, whether it is heavily protected or not, that's just the way it is.

If you like it, that's your choice. But that doesn't change the fact that XP is obsolete in every way, shape, and form.

Seriously, this thread should be locked, this isn't going anywhere now.

XP was a good OS for many years, but there are far better OSs in existence now that are far superior in every way.
 
Windows XP doesn't install itself with proper alignment on SSD's. Windows XP doesn't handle DirectX 10 or 11. It won't do Eyefinity or NVSurround. Windows XP is only 32bit (there is a less popular 64bit variant with minimal driver support, especially now)
"I don't need Windows, DOS forever!"
Yet none of the people I know of that said that would dream of running DOS today. Move on, you'll be glad you did.

Somehow i never had any problems running stuff on XP64 even stuff like Age of Conan ran pretty good on it drivers also never had a problem. Even on windows7 it still loads 32 bit components so hurrah for advancements.

If you are gaming and you are a tech person yes you would have swapped already. But to say you need to swap is weird because the platform is still functional in more then one way. Where XP will outshine windows 7 is to have a small booting partition easier to backup.
 
Somehow i never had any problems running stuff on XP64 even stuff like Age of Conan ran pretty good on it drivers also never had a problem. Even on windows7 it still loads 32 bit components so hurrah for advancements.

If you are gaming and you are a tech person yes you would have swapped already. But to say you need to swap is weird because the platform is still functional in more then one way. Where XP will outshine windows 7 is to have a small booting partition easier to backup.

I didn't have any major problems with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition back when I ran it either. There were a few devices with no drivers or drivers which were late to market, but overall my experience was positive. Today I don't think anyone's really developing drivers for it are they? Either that or they are using drivers which were really developed for Windows Server 2003 / 2003 R2.
 
I didn't have any major problems with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition back when I ran it either. There were a few devices with no drivers or drivers which were late to market, but overall my experience was positive. Today I don't think anyone's really developing drivers for it are they? Either that or they are using drivers which were really developed for Windows Server 2003 / 2003 R2.

My experiance with XP x64 has been horrific with it's memory management. I have (and use) 12GB of physical ram and sometimes use upto another 4-8GB of virtual memory of (DDR2-800 :() at work. The problem is anytime you go over something like 3GB it starts sending stuff to virtual memory despite having 9 GM of physical memory free. From what I understand it just comes from the optimizations that were in place when XP x64 was developed, mostly that no one had 12GB of physical ram.
 
I didn't have any major problems with Windows XP Professional x64 Edition back when I ran it either. There were a few devices with no drivers or drivers which were late to market, but overall my experience was positive. Today I don't think anyone's really developing drivers for it are they? Either that or they are using drivers which were really developed for Windows Server 2003 / 2003 R2.

Same here, a few drivers issues but that wasn't windows' fault. Overall my experience was very good, but then again, I never went over 6-7GB of memory resources.
 
Back
Top