• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MLAA will never support WinXP?

XP was great 8 years ago, it is anything but great today.

Do you know how crappy it is to go to work and use XP based machines after living in a Win7 world for almost 2 years? That, my friends, is what suck feels like (XP at work).

+1. I've been off XP on my personal systems since Vista went RTM so going to 7 was a piece of cake for me, I don't think anything I have that worked on Vista didn't work on 7. I'm on XP at work at least until sometime next year, we just started rolling out 7 to the early folks a month ago so hopeflly I'll be able to get it in the next few months.

But after using 7 on for almost two years counting the beta XP really does show its age.
 
Wait, what? Muhahahahaha....You must be in a cave dude!

More like you must like the new marketing MS does. If you want to come out of your cave install Suse linux 11.3 :) .

Everytime there is a new windows it is proclaimed as being better but better at what ?

What does the calculator application totally rock now or are you impressed with the ability to be able to burn games to dvd/cd without the need of a 3rd party program. Or do you think that you need windows 7 to be able to run Internet Exploder 9 ?

Wait you are dazzled by the slick aero UI. Ooh look here compiz http://www.google.nl/search?q=youtu...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CC4QqwQwAA

.
Windows since its first installment has been marketing nothing else. You are used to it you can play games on it, good. thats it, nothing special.

And yes windows 7 allows directcompute which is a nice thing but so far from being used mainstream , sadly .
 
Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with using a 9 (almost 10) year old OS. Hell. I used Windows 95 until Vista came out!

Gaming performance comparison XP x64 vs Win 7 x64



And yet that video shows that moving to Win7 with new hardware means a handy "performance upgrade".

Batman it goes from 15-36 to 24-64 (XP => 7), and i bet that a good part of that performance upgrade has to do with the lower quality drivers of XP 64bit and then the benefits of Dx > 9 on the Win 7 system.

Mirror's Edge goes from 22-53 to 41-64

Splinter Cell: 31-91 => 65-179


Really i would have almost understood if people were praising XP 32, because it had decent driver support, but not XP 64 and even less when talking about using DX 11 hardware, since unlike DX10, DX11 has shown a notorious performance upgrade when running the same effects as DX9.
 
Yah, with a few tweeks and personalization Win7 is basically just like XP, only with more capabilities and driver/feature support. Been perfectly happy with it myself.

Then again, I also thought Vista was fine after I'd changed stuff around a bit.

Why tweak it, it doesn't need to be tweaked, let XP die, stop trying to make a new OS like your old OS, accept it for what it is and use all it's great features and let XP die as it needs to already. If you think win 7 is nothing but a purdy GUI and new DX, those people need to go read up on windows 7 and what is under the hood.
 
IMHO XP has the greatest interface and best functionality of any OS ever.

Make no mistake you'll complete all navigation tasks in XP twice as fast as Win7 simply because the interface is superior.

The new start menu is a joke. I don't wanna have to type an app name each time I want to open it it quickly, I just wanna click on start, have the screen fill up with ALL my apps shortcuts in one go, leaving me just one click away from ANY of my programs.

There is a perfect retrofit for that.

Free start menu alternative that gives me everything I had in XP, and you can set hot keys to launch new start menu as well, so you can have both old and new as desired:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Reminds me I should upgrade. I am using version 1.92....

I am strongly in the camp that when there is no need to upgrade, there is no need. I never rush off to upgrade because new and shiny is available. I mainly went with 7 as I was upgrading CPU/HD/Memory for the long haul and wanted 64 bit support for the years I will keep using this box. But I don't denigrate anyone who keeps using XP. If it ain't broke don't fix it. But also you must realize that your support is going to drop. If you want new features at some point you will need to upgrade.

No one should insist XP users upgrade, but by the same token, XP users shouldn't complain that they aren't getting new features.
 
lol @ anyone who thinks xp is better then 7. XP was better then vista, it is NOT better then 7, in any aspect. if you have relic hardware that only works in xp, its time to replace said relic with newer, more efficient hardware. (fyi, you can run virtual XP in win7 if you really needed XP for something)

i run win 7 ult on my company laptop, my main i7 rig, and my weekend rig at my parents house. i will also load it up on a HTPC i am building. why? because its that good
 
Why tweak it, it doesn't need to be tweaked, let XP die, stop trying to make a new OS like your old OS, accept it for what it is and use all it's great features and let XP die as it needs to already. If you think win 7 is nothing but a purdy GUI and new DX, those people need to go read up on windows 7 and what is under the hood.

You serious? The Win7 default UI is ugly, Aero is a needless waste of resources and several of the new services are unnecessary.

The great thing about it is that you can choose to remove all that. Like you say yourself, the reason you should want Win7 is because of what's under the hood; not all the useless junk they've thrown on top of it to make it seem 'new'.
 
You serious? The Win7 default UI is ugly, Aero is a needless waste of resources and several of the new services are unnecessary.

The great thing about it is that you can choose to remove all that. Like you say yourself, the reason you should want Win7 is because of what's under the hood; not all the useless junk they've thrown on top of it to make it seem 'new'.

I happen to like looking at an OS that is purdy. Why do I want to stare at a pile of ugly (XP) all day? If Aero is draining your resources, you need to upgrade to a computer that was built in the last 5 years.

Even Vista is much better than XP, despite all the ridiculous hate it receives.
 
I didn't use Vista until SP1 and generally found it real good. I only once had one major issue with it. Win7 is the first time I adopted a MS OS from the day it was released. No regrets, but I have one app that needs XP or earlier so it runs in virtual XP. Just finished a build for my son. He was noticably disappointed when I told him I wouldn't put XP on it. He's had it a week now and loves it. I put a 6850 in it and he says it look real nice and plays everything he's tried so far without trouble. I don't think MLAA was an issue for him but he has it just the same.
 
Windows 7 is only a .1 rev. to Windows vista. Don't belive me then goto cmd and type "Ver"

Windows version 6.1

Windows Vista was version 6.0

I am still waiting to see windows 7 which will be called windows 8 but under the version command it should be version 7.0

As for gaming yes Windows 7 is faster for crossfire support but slower for desktop compared to xp64 that is. But my only problem is windows 7 has too much processor limiting in it.
 
I finally made the jump from WinXP to Win7 this month in anticipation of the upcoming HD6970 after nine years of using it as my main OS. Talk about hardware driving software sales. :)

WinXP is at EOL, it has nothing to do with hardware sales.
 
Nothing beat a Win7 install with a USB key on a SSD :).. 6 minutes from INSTALL button pressed to Desktop! :) and most of the time all the drivers are there (unless it's a USB wireless key or a printer/scanner)
 
WinXP is at EOL, it has nothing to do with hardware sales.
Even though Microsoft stopped selling it in October WinXP will be supported until April 2014. Millions of people still use it, daily. It's not quite dead yet.

I wanted to try out DX11 with the upcoming HD6970, so I ended up buying Win7. So yeah, it actually did have something to do with hardware sales, at least in my case. Otherwise I could've happily used WinXP until 2014 when lack of security updates would've forced me to upgrade.
 
Windows 7 is only a .1 rev. to Windows vista. Don't belive me then goto cmd and type "Ver"

Windows version 6.1

Windows Vista was version 6.0

I am still waiting to see windows 7 which will be called windows 8 but under the version command it should be version 7.0

The reason they kept the Kernel ID so close is for compatibility reasons. If they changed the kernel to 7.0, programs which are made to check kernel versions will refuse to load unless they've been updated. Numbering it 6.1 means that the vast majority of programs will run without issue. Windows 7 is clearly built off the framework laid by Vista, but it has many under-the-hood changes that when added together make it a much more acceptable OS. It's not just a "service pack" as many try to make it out to be.
 
I absolutely hate using XP now. The complete lack of multi-task capability or whatever I/you want to call... it's just absolutely horrible. I'm talking about having a million things open, and just hovering your mouse over the icon in the task bar, and fading the windows in/out until you find what you need (and quickly). That, and the search bar in the start menu (again quickly). And no yearly reformatting, since this OS stays fast - and my computer is the messiest is has ever been. Game over XP.
 
I wanted to try out DX11 with the upcoming HD6970, so I ended up buying Win7. So yeah, it actually did have something to do with hardware sales, at least in my case. Otherwise I could've happily used WinXP until 2014 when lack of security updates would've forced me to upgrade.

No it did not. The 6870 is officially supported in XP by ATI.

You wanted to use DX11 which is a feature of Win7 and can only be run under with Win7.

You could have kept using XP with a 6870 but you're desire to use DX11 is what forced you to upgrade to Win7. So new software drove you to upgrade, not the hardware.
 
Who would want to use a 1gb card with XP anyways? You could only have like 2gb of Ram then.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
Who would want to use a 1gb card with XP anyways? You could only have like 2gb of Ram then.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Not in XP x64, but who still wants to use XP period? It's time to move on, direly. :rolleyes:
 
I happen to like looking at an OS that is purdy. Why do I want to stare at a pile of ugly (XP) all day? If Aero is draining your resources, you need to upgrade to a computer that was built in the last 5 years.

Even Vista is much better than XP, despite all the ridiculous hate it receives.
Ugh, I couldn't care less about purdiness. I just wants something that functions well with as few bells and whistles as possible. I don't really spend my time actually looking at my OS. And it's not about it draining my resources, with a qx9650@3.8ghz and 8gb of DDR3 I feel my computer can handle most things pretty well. I just don't feel like wasting those resources on something which, if anything, just annoys me.

And like I said in my previous post that you quoted, I found Vista perfectly fine after having tweaked it to my likings, so I agree with you there. Though 'much better' might be a bit of an exaggeration.
 
Ugh, I couldn't care less about purdiness. I just wants something that functions well with as few bells and whistles as possible. I don't really spend my time actually looking at my OS. And it's not about it draining my resources, with a qx9650@3.8ghz and 8gb of DDR3 I feel my computer can handle most things pretty well. I just don't feel like wasting those resources on something which, if anything, just annoys me.

And like I said in my previous post that you quoted, I found Vista perfectly fine after having tweaked it to my likings, so I agree with you there. Though 'much better' might be a bit of an exaggeration.

If that's what you want, I suggest you use Linux. ;)

XP is old and obsolete, period. The only excuse to continue using it is if one doesn't have the money to afford Win 7, but even then, every version of Ubuntu that is out right now is sooo much better than XP.
 
If that's what you want, I suggest you use Linux. ;)

XP is old and obsolete, period. The only excuse to continue using it is if one doesn't have the money to afford Win 7, but even then, every version of Ubuntu that is out right now is sooo much better than XP.

Think you must have understood. I've been using Win7 since beta and have always been liking it. This was more a discussion about the aero theme and whatnot. I just expressed my preference towards the 'classic windows' style that Win7 offers.
 
Think you must have understood. I've been using Win7 since beta and have always been liking it. This was more a discussion about the aero theme and whatnot. I just expressed my preference towards the 'classic windows' style that Win7 offers.

Ah, ok, that's cool.

Yes, Win 7 > XP > Vista :D
 
A lot of mindless one-liners here; 'XP needs to die', 'it's old', 'outdated crap'. But can someone actually give me a REASON to upgrade to 7 besides dx11/trim support?
I KNOW xp is old, but being old is no crime as far as I know. What kind of new functionality does 7 offer that will make me dump XP in the trash ASAP?
 
A lot of mindless one-liners here; 'XP needs to die', 'it's old', 'outdated crap'. But can someone actually give me a REASON to upgrade to 7 besides dx11/trim support?
I KNOW xp is old, but being old is no crime as far as I know. What kind of new functionality does 7 offer that will make me dump XP in the trash ASAP?

64bit memory addressing.
 
64bit memory addressing.

lol ok

xpcropped.jpg


Why do so many threads have to turn into an xp vs 7 fight? Its like everyone who uses 7 is so insecure about defending themselves and their right to prettiness or whatever. Just get over it, dumb thing to argue about.
 
A lot of mindless one-liners here; 'XP needs to die', 'it's old', 'outdated crap'. But can someone actually give me a REASON to upgrade to 7 besides dx11/trim support?
I KNOW xp is old, but being old is no crime as far as I know. What kind of new functionality does 7 offer that will make me dump XP in the trash ASAP?

I feel like we're looking at this the wrong way. Since the majority of users seem to agree windows 7 is superior to vista and xp, what reason(s) do you have for not upgrading?

I ask this since the reasons you haven't upgraded might be reasons specific to you and not all users (ie outdated hardware that isn't supported in vista/7).
 
lol ok

Why do so many threads have to turn into an xp vs 7 fight? Its like everyone who uses 7 is so insecure about defending themselves and their right to prettiness or whatever. Just get over it, dumb thing to argue about.
Why are you so insecure about using XP that you have to put down Win7 users when they're excited about a new OS and encouraging fellow enthusiasts to check it out? See how that works? :rolleyes:
A lot of mindless one-liners here; 'XP needs to die', 'it's old', 'outdated crap'. But can someone actually give me a REASON to upgrade to 7 besides dx11/trim support?
I KNOW xp is old, but being old is no crime as far as I know. What kind of new functionality does 7 offer that will make me dump XP in the trash ASAP?
I can't answer your questions in entirety because I have a limited scope of usage. I do a lot of gaming on my PC and I also use an SSD, so DX11 and TRIM were reason enough for me to upgrade. If those aren't reasons for you, there's a lot "under the hood" that Win7 offers over XP. Just things I've used in my work/play over the last 15 months or so have been its superior resource monitoring/management, ease of networking/home-networking, power profiles/power management options tweaks (e.g. run powercfg in a command prompt with the variables -energy - output C:\Power.rtf and check out the report it generates, so awesome), free Win XP virtualization, and probably a lot of minor stuff I can't think of off the top of my head. I also like the GUI/interface better, but that's more of a subjective thing.

As an enthusiast, I suppose I could say I'd like to see XP get phased out more quickly so MS doesn't have to spend resources on it, but I doubt they're short on resources :p.
 
Why are you so insecure about using XP that you have to put down Win7 users when they're excited about a new OS and encouraging fellow enthusiasts to check it out? See how that works? :rolleyes:

I rarely see any encouragement, just name calling and derailed/broken threads
 
lol ok
Why do so many threads have to turn into an xp vs 7 fight? Its like everyone who uses 7 is so insecure about defending themselves and their right to prettiness or whatever. Just get over it, dumb thing to argue about.
Are you saying that 64bit addressing is not a good reason to upgrade from Windows XP to 7?

And no, I do not use 7 so I am not insecure about it.

The 64 bit addressing is the main reason I would upgrade to it though, which I do not need, as you do not need either it seems. So, that is why I haven't upgraded to it myself.

This MLAA thing though, could be a reason, that is if I was still on XP any bit.

Did you guys ever get DX10 by the way?
 
Why do so many threads have to turn into an xp vs 7 fight? Its like everyone who uses 7 is so insecure about defending themselves and their right to prettiness or whatever. Just get over it, dumb thing to argue about.

Windows 7 is overall so much better than XP I think that it's XP users that are the insecure ones.;)

But seriously, I think the main issue that 7 users have with XP is that XP is just OLD and it holds back the PC because developers have to support it while it remains a large part of the market. That means less support for things like DX 10/11 and multi-monitor gaming.

I mean look at the title of this thread. Why in the hell do we want developers wasting time supporting a ten year old OS? I'd rather see more new features supported in modern OSes than wasting time retrofiting newer features in a dying OS.

I have nothing against XP but its old and it just time to move on is all.
 
Are you saying that 64bit addressing is not a good reason to upgrade from Windows XP to 7?

And no, I do not use 7 so I am not insecure about it.

The 64 bit addressing is the main reason I would upgrade to it though, which I do not need, as you do not need either it seems. So, that is why I haven't upgraded to it myself.

This MLAA thing though, could be a reason, that is if I was still on XP any bit.

Did you guys ever get DX10 by the way?

You do realize that there is such a thing as Win XP x64, right? XP x64 is 64-bit and fully supports 64-bit memory addressing.


To everyone else:

On that note however, XP is old, and is outdated. It cannot support newer drive formats and standards, it doesn't have TRIM (making it a no-no for SSD users), the GUI is a complete obsolete mess and has been bested by Win 7, OS X 10.4-10.6, and just about every version of Linux in the last 5 years.

Like I said, the only reason to stick with XP at all is if one cannot afford Win 7 or if the system cannot physically run Win 7.

There is no other reason. Win 7 x86 and x64 are better in every aspect of an OS.

Not to mention, XP has been broken by viruses horribly since 2004, even SP2/3 didn't save it, and x64 has no SP3.

I'm not saying Win 7 is virus-free, but it is far less prone to exploitations than any version of XP is.

As for DX10/DX11, it's hype and should be fifth of sixth on the list of reasons why to upgrade. DX10 was cool in a few games, DX11 less so. I remember the huge hype about moving to Vista for DX10, it wasn't worth it and I would have stayed with XP had I known how bad Vista really was. Win 7 is a totally different story and is more than worth the upgrade.
 
At this juncture, it's pretty pointless to argue against Win7; particularly when one acknowledges that MS seems to be slowly phasing out XP. Eventually, you're going to have to make the jump.
 
At this juncture, it's pretty pointless to argue against Win7; particularly when one acknowledges that MS seems to be slowly phasing out XP. Eventually, you're going to have to make the jump.

We're phasing out all of the win xp OSs at my job and are finally making the jump to Win 7 (it's about damn time). ;)
 
You do realize that there is such a thing as Win XP x64, right? XP x64 is 64-bit and fully supports 64-bit memory addressing.
Yep, sure do. But most people running XP are running 32 bit. So the big compelling reason to upgrade would be 64 bit addressing. Other than that, DX10 perhaps if that is something you like and MLAA now.
 
Yep, sure do. But most people running XP are running 32 bit. So the big compelling reason to upgrade would be 64 bit addressing. Other than that, DX10 perhaps if that is something you like and MLAA now.

Only if the user is using more than 4GB of memory though, but yeah, it is so common that now a days, why not. ;)
 
Except that unlike XP, windows 7 requires signed drivers for them to function. And it costs like $500/year to get your drivers signed. Otherwise, you have to turn off UAC and use test mode...

Sort of annoying to have to do this to get third party stuff to work (like XBCD...)

If it weren't for THAT "hold your hand" feature in windows 7, I wouldn't mind it at all...
 
Back
Top