Mining Motherboards

I bought 2 of these a while back and been using it with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075N9255W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

717dKkqLoFL._SL1000_.jpg

So with two sets of these with powered risers on a cheapo Celeron board like this...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157730

Would an 8x GPU setup be feasible?

Basically, I want to build a cheapo rig with a pile of 1050 Tis. I've got a good 850W PSU and a bunch of DDR3 sitting around, so I just need a cpu, motherboard, and powered risers to get up and running.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Rediculous. I have Asrock 13slot mobo, and seven of eight 1050ti's plugged into switched ports.
Riser multipliers use the same ASMedia switches as this mobo. Why would only AMD work???

Thats at least 15Mh Ethash per card, and two with Samsung (+800 mem) can reach 15.5Mh.
For this hash, and non-AMD GPU, a fully populated sevenway ASMedia switch isn't necking
enough to measure any different than a regular Southbridge PCIe slot in the same system.

--------------------------

Burning peripheral cables and the buck regulator of risers is more the problem with 1050ti's...
Seen pics of some 2017 risers that appear to have an extra pair of MOSFETs, maybe to deal
with the regulator overload. Don't own one like that yet, so can't confirm or deny.

I probably ought to put little heatsinks on mine that havn't cratered already. Spend for a card
with real power from above may be cheaper than trying to bandaid this problem from below.

Most have lil 8pin buck chip on the 6pin end of the riser. w 1050ti, a crater wating to happen.
I've blown out two, and maybe thas just bad luck or bad quality, or maybe not made for 75W.
The one I'm talking about has Q3 Q4 helping, again thats not owning one yet to say for sure.

Older MOLEX risers omit this buck converter and may not be a problem. But you still should
never connect more than two 1050ti a peripheral cable, and probably not more than one.

Your 850W supply is a good size for qty8 of 1050ti, my rig draws 550W from the wall.
But careful how you distribute the GPU load, or modular peripheral connectors will burn.

Attachments

• SIPOLAR.jpg
    SIPOLAR.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 1050tiCrater.jpg
    1050tiCrater.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Rediculous. I have Asrock 13slot mobo, and seven of eight 1050ti's plugged into switched ports.
Riser multipliers use the same ASMedia switches as this mobo. Why would only AMD work???

Yeah, weird. There's not a ton of info out there, but there are definitely a few claims of not working with NVIDIA cards.

On this kit...
https://www.amazon.com/Ubit-Riser-Adapter-Powered-Extension/dp/B0746H1KY3

The seller and one of the reviewers claim it works with 1070 and 1060, respectively.

Seen pics of some 2017 risers that appear to have an extra pair of MOSFETs, maybe to deal
with the regulator overload.

That does seem to be what they're claiming. Looks like it's the version 007C of the riser...
617LBpU1zHL._SL1000_.jpg

Spend for a card with real power from above may be cheaper than trying to bandaid this problem from below.

Very few 1050Tis seem to have external power connectors, though.

Most have lil 8pin buck chip on the 6pin end of the riser. w 1050ti, a crater wating to happen.
I've blown out two, and maybe thas just bad luck or bad quality, or maybe not made for 75W.

What do you have the power limit set to on your cards? Full 100%?

Last edited:
I hold back to 70% due to cable and riser issues.

Probably won't buy any more modular supplies either.
Just another expense that doesn't earn anything,
a needless weak link that can potentially go wrong.

Last edited:
This is my setup. Notice the bigass exhaust fan. The cards on the bottom and top left are 1060's, which pull so little wattage that denser is pretty easy.

rqdxBGB_d.jpg

WTH are the yellow and black cables, they look to be your 6 or 8 pins?

Wish I had that many free circuits next to eachother, I've got a lot of 6-10 GPU rigs through the house, keeping my wattage per circuit below 1440W

Take a longer look at the 3Gb 1060's. Anything core related they're a crazy bargain and fit into the 60-70w power envelope easily with a proper power connector provided. I have a couple 1050 ti rigs and I'm not going to build anymore of them unless they drop in price to about $120. I have 3 vegas and some 1070 ti's coming in this week. Vega seems like the card that'll get my focus for a while.

I have a couple 1050 ti rigs and I'm not going to build anymore of them unless they drop in price to about $120.

Today's Shell Shocker has a dual fan MSI for $130. That's what had me seriously looking at them.

Today's Shell Shocker has a dual fan MSI for $130. That's what had me seriously looking at them.
yeah I picked up one simply because I had space for 1 more in one of my rigs. They are a pretty solid bargain but I myself wouldn't build a new 5+ card rig around them until they get a bit cheaper.

even at $130 that same $260 could just get a 580 which yeah it'll probably get about the same on eth as the pair of 1050's. Other algo's like cryptonight the 580 pulls much further ahead. If you're doing bulk 1050's you're getting nicer risers the white ones I use are usually like $8 and let you use like any power connection.

Unless you're really new on mining the 1050 is going to be more hassle than they're really worth. The 1060 3gb is a pretty great value but north of $200 I'd say nope. I've picked up random cards down in the $180 range which were very worth it.

Last edited:
So, any results with the el-cheapo yet?
Did BIOS have support for above 4G decoding?

I actually went with this one instead:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157616

Reading into the Celeron board, it wasn't possible to populate all 3 PCI-E slots with video cards while I was able to find evidence that the AMD board can.

Just got the board in yesterday, but haven't done anything with it yet. I'll check the BIOS, though, and see if there's an option for that. I actually changed my plan and ordered a Vega 56 which is scheduled to be here today (and a AIO Vega 64 for my gaming/mining rig to replace my GTX 1080). Looks like I got lucky to get it the Vega 56 for $400 as the prices are rising fast.

Well a day or two ago, during the peak, I cashed out my first ETH. Holding the rest for higher payout.
So after fees, transferred a little over $312USD to my new Mastercard Debit. Plus another $20 still
there from the day I opened the account, all to go absolutely nuts with.

There are things I wanted to buy from foreign websites, would never risk any cards I need to live on.
Maybe Aliexpress isn't all that risky a front, but never having used it before, perhaps I've over worried.
Point is: Today 11/11 was some kind of huge Chinese shopping holiday, blew it on experimental items.

One Onda D1800 BTC

One 4way PCIe switch (probably ASMedia under that sink) styled 4 upcie cables to one mobo slot.

Qty5 SIPOLAR ver007C risers (thinking with six GPUs, one could go directly on my B350+ mobo)

A non-modular 220V 1600W ATX supply with three fans (140intop+80outfront+80outback).
The ad clearly sais for 110-260V, but photo also just as clearly sais for 220-260V, go figure.
Both agree active power factor corrrection, so will probably work 110V at reduced power?
I'll attempt to measure the truth or fiction of that at work, on professional equipment.

Pair of 50Vin 5Aout buck converters with full color display, similar to a bench supply only smaller.
Already own a pair of 48VDC 2A cordbricks to go with. OK, this had nothing to do with mining...

A threeway ATX supply relay with power and reset buttons.

A power meter (for home use) with US plug that I suspect might handle 220V.
The plug appears typical round 220V socket with a US adaptor shoved inside.
I don't plan to measure accurately with it. Just to monitor everything is normal.

Four 6pin splitter cables, or maybe it was two. Had to adjust some quantities toward the end.

A 90deg DVI adaptor, fan power bus, probably other stuff I forgot.
One ETH buys way more strange junk than I ever thought it could...

Any sellers attempt to rip me off, will find the card I just used about empty.
The whole idea behind setting up this separate mining & paranoia account.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So far as Ali sends reports to my email, six of my eight orders have shipped, and two are lolligaggin.
Looks like my switch and power supply are held up, everything else already onway via the slow boat.

So, I see Spotswood offers a rack to fit Onda D1800. Not sure why its not on his page, but the pics
were posted to bitcointalk. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2399481.0

I was just gonna throw mine down on a slab of plywood, maybe in a cheap Rosewill with the drive
cages ripped out. But then again, should have learned last time, closed coffins don't ventillate easily.
Do I want to spend to look professional? Or just focus on minimal function at lowest possible cost?

And maybe I junped the gun a little, as it appears that an 8GPU Onda definately exists. Can find no
link to actually buy one yet, but philipma1957 over there showed off a brand new shipment of ten...

Onda_B250_D8P.jpg

Last edited:
Upon viewing a better angle, I now see four additional 1X slots (for risers probably) across the front edge.
And something about support for 16GB, maybe DDR4? The Celeried six slotter maxes at 8GB DDR3.

12Slot.jpg

Found the manufacturer link by increment of existing product number.

http://www.onda.cn/MotherBoard_Specifications.aspx?id=373
http://www.onda.cn/Shopbuy_MotherBoard.aspx?id=373

At time of this post, ¥1099Yuan figures to about $165USD.
What I'm assuming maybe a buy button, google translates [Sold Out].

Sais there 8GB DDR3L? Don't match what was quoted on bitcointalk.
Page could be work in progress with obsolete copy/paste from D1800.
Much clearer photos anyway. Can someone who knows laptop DDR4
zoom in and tell us if that SODIMM is DDR4???

I see an HDMI connector, and button labeled CMOS_BT in the same
corner location the previous board hosted a power button...

---------------------------

Mystery PSU just shipped, leaving only the 4way switch.
Conflicting specs all over the place, could be anything...

JJ Approves. What other specifications even matter?
JJ.jpgJJApproved.jpgJJ.jpg

Last edited:
Negative, sir.

One my rigs has x6 1070s, 4 are being split off a Ubit 4 in 1 card.

Thank you for the correction then. I guess I was repeating too much anecdotal info. I guess a lot depends on motherboard compatibility, slot choice, etc.

i also use those pcie to usb splitter cards. some mainboards that have an onboard splitter chip do not like them. most mainboards can use atleast one of the splitter cards in the primary video card slot, and then use direct connected cards in the others. it is a cheap way to turn a 4 card rig into a 7 card rig.

Has anyone seen this mining motherboard? It cpu and memory, m.2 are on a separate card that plugs into no. 1 pcie slot.

>I don't consider stuff sitting in China actually on newegg/amazon since at that point they're just shitty third parties.

I didn't build the Great Wallmart du Chatenoogy, nor can I see it from space.
$50 for a $13.50 board, yeah definately. Our universe is the same infinite size
it always ever was, just physicists have been shrinking. The human ego simply
cannot deal with it...

No, I opened a separate, well limited bank account for foreign purchases.
Get your butt to a CapitalOne and open a 360 with no fees or minimum.
Clincher for me was zero fee to receive a wire transfer. Don't act on my
word, but JJ's. And read all the fine print for yourself. CAI-NAIO-BITE!

DHL already texted me a heads up on my first package needing signature on
Friday 17th. How you planning to make ROI on US warehoused markups?
Are you absolutely sure they get to your door in time to justify the difference?

Had previously bought Qty3 252CFM Delta fans from SXDCool through Egg.
Free shipping from China Post to USPS took what, three or four days??? I'm
sure it wasn't even close to a whole week.... "SXDOOL" I guess someone in
translation didn't notice the logo's surrounding circle was the "C" in "COOL".

------------------

Aware, but declined to mention the above 9GPU+1CPU backplane because
I havn't been able to identify the OEM yet. Never seen one for individual sale,
only bundled with Pandaminer clones, buried beneath overpriced 1060's.

You got some info that actually leads to a reasonable price?

Last edited:
So, I could buy Qty3 six slot Ondas with plenty of change left over.
I paid $104USD. For 18GPU, maybe equates roughly $411AUD?
Not quite convinced the 9GPU backplane pricing is reasonable.

Gone up slightly, its $110USD now. I dunno Australia shipping...
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...herboard-Support-6-cards-All/32837412605.html

OK, figured out how to change my location. $147AUD free ship...

I don't own either one yet, and in the mail don't count. Do you?
So we are only discussing photos, prices, and assumed value.

--edit-- Price dropped again, back down to sale where I bought.
$104.50USD

Last edited:
Swapped out a Gigabyte H110-D3A board for an Asrock H110 Pro BTC+.

Don't buy the Gigabyte H110-D3A - it's a piece of crap. Nott all stable with more than 5 GPUs.

The Asrock board on the other hand has been rock solid with 8 RX580s right off the bat. I don't have another 5 GPUs to plug into it, but something tells me it would take em with no problems.

I concur, my Asrock H110 Pro BTC+ runs Qty8 1050ti for days on end without a hiccup.
OTOH, I couldn't get the main 16x slot to work with a riser. Not that I spent a whole lot
of time trying to figure out why. There were plenty of other 1x slots, I just moved over...

I monitor the situation through igp, so's not to burden any mining GPU, and that choice
may have some conflict with the main slot? I'm just speculating, not curious enough to
upset this working rig to re-create a problem thats already been circumvented.

The onboard igp video is DVI-Digital only, and won't convert to VGA passively.
Easily converts to HDMI on the cheap. Can't mine anything, but does save 1Mh.

Last edited:
I ordered one of those Onda D1800's this week to replace a Z170 board. Maybe it will improve stability? I have a 5x RX mining rig on the Z170 that is just not that stable. Would love to improve it and get it 100%

I have 3 - Z170 boards running 12 - GTX 1070 cards each. They run solid, the only there down is when I decide to clean them.

What do you guys like that's MicroATX, has 4 PCIe slots and between $50-$75?

I'm looking at Biostar H110M-BTC - it's $75

Need to do away with 1x slots on small mining boards.
A cluster of USBPCIE with bright orange warning plugs
would use up a lot less space, and improve reliability by
bypassing the adaptors.

One Biostar already did this, but only for the 2nd row.
Don't appear to be an option they actually sell though.
They do occasionally tease impractical prototypes.

Each PCIEUSB standing vertically with little support to
accidental bend-over. For strength, they probably ought
to be in pairs with some finger space between pairs, if
not flat off the front edge in stacked pairs.

So obvious, amazed its not already standard practice.
All I can think, they must worry some idiot will plug USB.
No slot is going to stop an idiot, they always find a way.

----------------edit---------------

My bad. It was a Colorful, and they do sell it.
http://www.colorfly.eu/iGame/C.B250A-BTC PLUS V20.html
At very least they might consider dropping a plastic shroud
over that PCIEUSB cluster to prevent a bending accident.
Or could it be stronger than it looks?

COLORFUL  B250A-BTC V20_08.jpg

Last edited:
Notice in the photo "UPCIE", is that the official abbreviation?
I havn't been consistant in what I've been calling it up till now.
Wasn't even sure it had a name.

Kind of like "Overclocking". People were doing it long before
it had a name. Long before PCs, further back than 1973, first
example I've seen. My father wirewrapped a 20MHz PDP8e
compatible minicomputer of his own design, not a copy. Had
own dedicated airconditioner in the garage attic (vaporphase
blowhole garage mod). And two other people built working
copies of his processor that were clocked even faster still.

But there was no internet to share such ideas. I guess we
had magazines and folks who would run into each other
at the surplus stores. But nobody was on the same sheet
of blotter. We had the technology; what we lacked was a
gimmick.

Decades later, Kyle comes along, gives it a name that stuck.
[H]ARDcore Overclocker's Comparison Page, lest we forget.
Think he gave us "Blowhole" too. A gifter that keeps on givin...

Last edited:
I like this board but they don't sell it in the Good Old USA.

Need to do away with 1x slots on small mining boards.
A cluster of USBPCIE with bright orange warning plugs
would use up a lot less space, and improve reliability by
bypassing the adaptors.

One Biostar already did this, but only for the 2nd row.
Don't appear to be an option they actually sell though.
They do occasionally tease impractical prototypes.

Each PCIEUSB standing vertically with little support to
accidental bend-over. For strength, they probably ought
to be in pairs with some finger space between pairs, if
not flat off the front edge in stacked pairs.

So obvious, amazed its not already standard practice.
All I can think, they must worry some idiot will plug USB.
No slot is going to stop an idiot, they always find a way.

----------------edit---------------

My bad. It was a Colorful, and they do sell it.
http://www.colorfly.eu/iGame/C.B250A-BTC PLUS V20.html
At very least they might consider dropping a plastic shroud
over that PCIEUSB cluster to prevent a bending accident.
Or could it be stronger than it looks?

View attachment 43513

Back