Minecraft

Beta has been horrible.. The server log is nothing but " Can't Keep Up, Is the server overloaded??" spam... Everyone has been timing out, getting every java exception under the sun, and overall can't stay connected for very long. Nothing about Beta is fun really, unless you enjoy finding eggs to spam around while playing in F5 staring at your ugly Xmas tree cloak, only to time out and lag anyways, or watch a zombie run as fast as a teleport straight to you because of lag. Or lagged out Creepers that blow you up before you even hear or see them..

Dropping and losing items on death happens even more now than before in Alpha without server side inventory.. Its fucking ridiculous. Not to mention the massive unloaded pillars of missing terrain everywhere that ruin the landscape of the world... Did anything get fixed at all in Beta? So far nothing is better, and nothing works smoother.. lol If I was Notch I would have made sure at least one feature was working better than it had been.. Oh well... Let us all hope the next update improves things rather than introducing exclusive developer cock rings and some other random useless feature like egg throwing.. ;)

I am restarting the server. Hopefully that helps performance for two or three minutes... =/

Edit: I can barely access the server it is so lagged out.. Anyone online will be booted as this lag is too unbearable..

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue with server lag on my server at all.

The only issue myself and fellow server players have had is black screening every 30 mins or less.

What are the specs for your server? I've got mine on an extra dedicated box, 8 cores, 8gb ram (6 allocated to MC).

I haven't had an issue with server lag on my server at all.

The only issue myself and fellow server players have had is black screening every 30 mins or less.

What are the specs for your server? I've got mine on an extra dedicated box, 8 cores, 8gb ram (6 allocated to MC).

Provision Host dedicated server. All VPS are on minimum 16 gigs of ram, 8 core server setups.. I dedicate 1024 ram for java. Server is OpenVZ on cent os 5

Even when I start my private server back up where HashLand was running before, its just as bad.. Slightly better for me only because I am connecting through localhost.. However the server log Can't Keep Up! messages are just as frequent, and the lag, warping monsters, and unloaded pillars of land are all happening on my private server as well.. This has nothing to do with the provider, and everything to do with the Beta client and server.

In Alpha, it was very smooth, with only the occasional crash or time out.. Now the server just idling with no players is spamming the Can't Keep up message... The Beta is beyond help at this point, and I can only tell people to wait, or log in and deal with crashing, losing items from death and avoiding pillars of unloaded terrain... :p

I restarted the server, hopefully that will help things for a while.. It has been over 24 hours since the last restart, so perhaps that is what I will need to do more often to keep the server running smoother.

Edit: Just realized the new /pspace Private Space addition doesn't keep the items you stored in there after a server reboot... So everyone that used that space has now lost all the items in there.. Even though the dev said items in that space won't disappear when you reboot the server.. Yay for integrity, and Boo to my assumptions that it would actually work as intended.. Sorry people.. =/

Last edited:
Provision Host dedicated server. All VPS are on minimum 16 gigs of ram, 8 core server setups.. I dedicate 1024 ram for java. Server is OpenVZ on cent os 5

In Alpha, it was very smooth, with only the occasional crash or time out.. Now the server just idling with no players is spamming the Can't Keep up message... The Beta is beyond help at this point, and I can only tell people to wait, or log in and deal with crashing, losing items from death and avoiding pillars of unloaded terrain... :p

Hmm I was having the same issues as you when I had it on a VPS, I decided to jump on a christmas deal for a dedi in NY over @ WHT and haven't had a can't keep up issue yet.

Edit: Just realized the new /pspace Private Space addition doesn't keep the items you stored in there after a server reboot... So everyone that used that space has now lost all the items in there.. Even though the dev said items in that space won't disappear when you reboot the server.. Yay for integrity, and Boo to my assumptions that it would actually work as intended.. Sorry people.. =/

Oh sh*t. That's where I put Santa's GIFTS!!!! :rolleyes:

Hmm I was having the same issues as you when I had it on a VPS, I decided to jump on a christmas deal for a dedi in NY over @ WHT and haven't had a can't keep up issue yet.

So you were on Beta before on the old server which was VPS and moved to a new dedicated host in Beta, and now the lag is completely gone? I cannot find one thread where server administrators running VPS servers are the only ones complaining about the poor performance of Beta.. Seems to me the performance is bad, crashing is consistent with all servers, regardless of its setup...

The biggest point I keep trying to make is, Virtual, dedicated servers SHOULD NOT have a major performance variable between the two, unless the hardware and bandwidth is incredibly varied between them.. Minecraft is just a poorly coded java game, and therefore it is close to impossible to get accurate performance reliability from any server at this point.

If I had to switch server hosts just to drop VPS and move to a dedicated, I will just stop running a server, as I have never heard of a game as simplistic as Minecraft, that forces people to run the server on a dedicated, non-vps server in order to get any stability or performance. Maybe I am wrong there.. Either way, HashLand has been down constantly throughout December, and I'm not looking to switch hosts 2 weeks after I already switched, and go through the process of uploading my world to another host.. If I am forced to, HashLand is done, as I don't have the patience to go through another host transfer. Someone else can take over if that happens :p

So you were on Beta before on the old server which was VPS and moved to a new dedicated host in Beta, and now the lag is completely gone? I cannot find one thread where server administrators running VPS servers are the only ones complaining about the poor performance of Beta.. Seems to me the performance is bad, crashing is consistent with all servers, regardless of its setup...

The biggest point I keep trying to make is, Virtual, dedicated servers SHOULD NOT have a major performance variable between the two, unless the hardware and bandwidth is incredibly varied between them.. Minecraft is just a poorly coded java game, and therefore it is close to impossible to get accurate performance reliability from any server at this point.

If I had to switch server hosts just to drop VPS and move to a dedicated, I will just stop running a server, as I have never heard of a game as simplistic as Minecraft, that forces people to run the server on a dedicated, non-vps server in order to get any stability or performance. Maybe I am wrong there.. Either way, HashLand has been down constantly throughout December, and I'm not looking to switch hosts 2 weeks after I already switched, and go through the process of uploading my world to another host.. If I am forced to, HashLand is done, as I don't have the patience to go through another host transfer. Someone else can take over if that happens :p

I think the main reason the lag is gone is the memory allocation. Since I have 8gb to work with, I allocate 6gb to MC. It seems there is a memory leak in the most recent beta patch.

Edit:

Browsing the MC forums I see a bunch of people "Why is my server lagging I have 8gb of ram" but they are only allocating 1024 still in their startup.

I think the main reason the lag is gone is the memory allocation. Since I have 8gb to work with, I allocate 6gb to MC. It seems there is a memory leak in the most recent beta patch.

Yeah there is a memory leak in Beta, seemingly worse than the memory leak issues in Alpha. Yeah most likely your allocation of 6 gigs for Minecraft is helping the performance a lot. I am going to up my server ram allocation later on today and see how that improves things. You wanna PM me your new host site, as I would like to check it out. :) Thanks.

He had a major bandwidth issue when he added serverside health, and a major memory issue when he added serverside inventory -- seems like everytime he adds something new he does a very poor job of optimizing it.

I saw my bandwidth usage spike to 10x what it was prior, and I had to stop my server because I run it outta my house, and I have a limit on my upstream per month.

That's actually one of the problems with Provisionhost the way I look at it anyway. They do say that Hashland has 1.5 GB dedicated RAM, and ofc it has one core, but they are a reseller so the actual server is provided by some other company which is nicely masked by Hostnoc.net so you have no good way to figure out which company actually runs the servers.

Anyway, the main issue I see is that there is no way to know whether it's a dedicated core, and what the disk I/O situation is. Call me paranoid, but I do have trust issues with VPS resellers because at the end of the day consumers most often also have no good way to verify that they are actually getting the resources which they are paying for. No way to verify that the account actually has 1.5 GB of dedicated RAM or whether it is shared among other VPSes. The CPU could easily be shared and most likely is, as is the disk which could be a RAID or just a single disk, there's just no way to know.

Santa giveth and Santa taketh away.
It's all good, I kept most of the stuff in my character inventory.

:( There goes all my good stuff

Here's what I came across wrt OpenVZ and java apps:

First of all, when [an] OpenVZ [VPS] says “256MB guaranteed”, it actually means around 232MB of “privvmpages”, 14MB of “kmemsize” and other miscellaneous resources. When an application calls malloc(), the allocated amount will be added to “privvmpages”. However when “privvmpages” hits the limit, malloc() will fail with a NULL. When the host server ran out of memory, then processes in VE (virtual environment, OpenVZ’s term for a VPS) that exceeded “oomguarpages” will be terminated, although I do not think it will ever apply to VPSLink.

There are a few problems and a few advantages with OpenVZ’s approach to memory management. One of the biggest problem is the amount of memory an application uses and the amount of memory an application allocates is actually different, and the difference can vary a lot depending on the application. Take Java for example, it usually allocates a huge chunk of memory — usually everything it can see the host node has — but it might only use/commit a small fraction of allocated memory. It can usually render a Java program unusable as you will pretty much hit the privvmpages limit straight away. A bit of tweaking on bootstrapping parameters might fix it, but it is definitely not as clean as Xen or a dedicated server. In fact, almost all applications that use internal memory allocator suffer from this issue under OpenVZ.

So when you run out of memory there's no recourse, the app will crash. On Xen it will start to swap, which isn't optimal but it will prevent a crash.

Oh sh*t. That's where I put Santa's GIFTS!!!! :rolleyes:

Same here. Crap :(

edit: actually I just logged in and checked - all my items are still there. But maybe I put the items in here before the server reboot? I don't remember...

Here's what I came across wrt OpenVZ and java apps:

So when you run out of memory there's no recourse, the app will crash. On Xen it will start to swap, which isn't optimal but it will prevent a crash.

I've been reading similar articles as well.. Xen still costs more, and the memory leaks are the fault of the game, not the VPS.. You are right about resellers and hosts though. I've talked in detail to the owner of PH, and he assures me every VPS is allocated the same, and no hardware is being pushed past a certain limit, so they can ensure the performance they advertise is what you should get. Perhaps I am being naive and taking this guys word for it, but I still maintain if the software wasn't so buggy, the server would be no problem.

If you read a lot of the server support forums, everyone from private servers, VPS, and massive dedicated setups are experiencing similar symptoms and issues. Those with dedicated setups with 4+ gigs of ram allocated to java and minecraft do reasonably better, however not a complete turn around in performance.

As for now, I am sticking with the host and VPS as it should be adequate for our small amount of players once the software is more stable.. If I start to see a gap in performance over the next few months between dedicated and VPS hosts, I will definitely consider switching over to a dedicated host.. Until then, nobody can prove one is massively better than the other, and the price is still higher than what I pay for the VPS I have atm. We'll see! =)

but I still maintain if the software wasn't so buggy, the server would be no problem
Absolutely. There actually is a bug report filed for it at the official Mojang support site but seeing that close to a million people bought MC and less than 700 find this bug important I don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon.
http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topics/smp_server_memory_leak

Do you have SSH access to your VPS? If so can you run: cat /proc/meminfo and post the results here?

Same here. Crap :(

edit: actually I just logged in and checked - all my items are still there. But maybe I put the items in here before the server reboot? I don't remember...

Yea, must have been after. My stuff is all gone.

There ya go Thuleman.. What does this say? Bad? Good? lol Seems around what I was told it would be.. I dunno how to interpret what I am seeing.. 16gigs of total? 1.6 free? I dunno..

MemTotal: 1572864 kB
MemFree: 168688 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 0 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 0 kB
Inactive: 0 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 1572864 kB
LowFree: 168688 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 824 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 0 kB
Mapped: 0 kB
Slab: 0 kB
PageTables: 0 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 0 kB
Committed_AS: 0 kB
VmallocTotal: 0 kB
VmallocUsed: 0 kB
VmallocChunk: 0 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

There ya go Thuleman.. What does this say? Bad? Good? lol Seems around what I was told it would be.. I dunno how to interpret what I am seeing.. 16gigs of total? 1.6 free? I dunno..

MemTotal: 1572864 kB
MemFree: 168688 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 0 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 0 kB
Inactive: 0 kB
HighTotal: 0 kB
HighFree: 0 kB
LowTotal: 1572864 kB
LowFree: 168688 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 824 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 0 kB
Mapped: 0 kB
Slab: 0 kB
PageTables: 0 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 0 kB
Committed_AS: 0 kB
VmallocTotal: 0 kB
VmallocUsed: 0 kB
VmallocChunk: 0 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB

that says you have 1.5 total, and .168 free

virtual machines also have a hard time keeping the time accurate, so your time might of actually changed instead of being overloaded. Besides the fact that you only have 168 MB of ram free...

that says you have 1.5 total, and .168 free

virtual machines also have a hard time keeping the time accurate, so your time might of actually changed instead of being overloaded. Besides the fact that you only have 168 MB of ram free...

Sounds like terrible memory.. Obviously not worth my time. I will switch hosts when I have the time soon. Of course I am lied to by everyone on the forums supporting this company, and the company itself.

I love liars during the Xmas season, it is so fitting... since everyone is looking to rob you blind before the new year anyway.. :rolleyes:

Can't trust anyone, and my family wonders why I am anti-social most of the time.. I tell them its because most people are looking to take advantage of you. Case in point:

So anyone that knows a better host, let me know. I'm obviously at the mercy of everyone's honesty, so I hope I can trust someone's recommendation from here. :)

I am running a vps from vps.net.

I don't have that much experience with them (only 4 months so far), and I haven't done any extensive tasks... But so far, they have been extremely stable and delivered on everything they said.

I would recommend giving them a look.

Sounds like terrible memory.. Obviously not worth my time. I will switch hosts when I have the time soon. Of course I am lied to by everyone on the forums supporting this company, and the company itself.
Well I don't know, I mean you did sign up for 1.5 GB and that's what you have. That only 168 MB are free is probably a function of the MC server running and gobbling up whatever memory there is left after the OS has been loaded.

Also, as a general point of information, it may be worth to switch to Mineserve as server software. It appears to be working right: http://mineserver.be/
EDIT: Nevermind, not useful in production since beta update.

Last edited:
So anyone that knows a better host, let me know. I'm obviously at the mercy of everyone's honesty, so I hope I can trust someone's recommendation from here. :)

Not used it for this purpose (honestly never heard of anyone hosint minecraft here), but I've heard good things in general about Fastsh.it - reasonable packages for cost and UNLIMITED bandwidth (but I think the memory allocations are kinda small, I dont remember off the top of my head)

i have all day to check for new provider Jax. Stuck at my job for the next 2 days :D

Ojax, run that again without having your minecraft server on.

Your host seems fine for what you ordered. :)

For what I have, I am paying 30 Bucks "Canadian" a month. That gives me a 25 slot Minecraft VPS server with 1.5 gigs of ram allocated for java. Before Beta, the server was fine, with almost no real bad lag or crashing..

All other suggestions or links have been to server hosts that are minimum twice per month.. Perhaps what I am paying now will never be enough per month to run a proper Minecraft server... So I guess I should just start paying 60 - 100 a month just for some simple game like Minecraft and its server.. To me though, that seems friggen stupid and over priced for a game that looks like the inside of an asshole, and has just entered Beta.. In other words, I'm not paying more money per month to curb the problems of the software.. More than likely the server I have now, will be fine once the game becomes more stable is my point. Maybe not.. I sure don't feel like moving hosts, and paying double per month just to see if performance is drastically improved.. Keep in mind performance will only get better as the game progresses, and is it worth it for me to move hosts, when the host I have now might just be completely fine once the software isn't so buggy.

At this point, I'd rather learn how to roll back to Alpha and put a link up to the players who want to roll back their client to Alpha and play on the server. Since really, nothing added in Beta so far has been better, or worth the amount of bugs we have now... I would be just as happy with MC without egg throwing, ugly capes, leaf-LAG decay, and server-shit inventory... Since that is all that was added in Beta.. Along with twice the amount of bugs and performance loss.. :p

Do I sound ridiculous? Or do I sound like I make sense.. I can't tell, I am worn out, and my mind is sketchy atm.. :(

For what I have, I am paying 30 Bucks "Canadian" a month. That gives me a 25 slot Minecraft VPS server with 1.5 gigs of ram allocated for java. Before Beta, the server was fine, with almost no real bad lag or crashing..

All other suggestions or links have been to server hosts that are minimum twice per month.. Perhaps what I am paying now will never be enough per month to run a proper Minecraft server... So I guess I should just start paying 60 - 100 a month just for some simple game like Minecraft and its server.. To me though, that seems friggen stupid and over priced for a game that looks like the inside of an asshole, and has just entered Beta.. In other words, I'm not paying more money per month to curb the problems of the software.. More than likely the server I have now, will be fine once the game becomes more stable is my point. Maybe not.. I sure don't feel like moving hosts, and paying double per month just to see if performance is drastically improved.. Keep in mind performance will only get better as the game progresses, and is it worth it for me to move hosts, when the host I have now might just be completely fine once the software isn't so buggy.

At this point, I'd rather learn how to roll back to Alpha and put a link up to the players who want to roll back their client to Alpha and play on the server. Since really, nothing added in Beta so far has been better, or worth the amount of bugs we have now... I would be just as happy with MC without egg throwing, ugly capes, leaf-LAG decay, and server-shit inventory... Since that is all that was added in Beta.. Along with twice the amount of bugs and performance loss.. :p

Do I sound ridiculous? Or do I sound like I make sense.. I can't tell, I am worn out, and my mind is sketchy atm.. :(

You sound allright... not too edgy like usual! :D

By the way... Pirate cove is EXPANDING. I mean EXPANDING. Come visit us to get your land for building around the second boardwalk that will feature a boat TWICE the size of the main cove.

By the way... Pirate cove is EXPANDING. I mean EXPANDING. Come visit us to get your land for building around the second boardwalk that will feature a boat TWICE the size of the main cove.

sounds like my house is at a nice location than :-D

Ok, I cannot connect to hashland, wtf? Is it down? What is the address again, maybe i am typing it wrong...

Corsair Bay is now open for anyone to build! Warp Corsairbay

Build!

Last edited:
Corsair Bay is now open for anyone to build! Warp Corsaibay

Build!

What server is that on?

has hardcraft server been changed?

Hey babyblue! I'm actually not sure what is happening to the Hardcraft server, and it might be down...

A lot of us have switched to the server I am running, HashLand. The address is in my signature, and you already have builders rights on the server =) Check out spawn for information on all the stuff on the server :)

Corsair Bay is right near Pirate Cove, and both areas are community build areas, where we all loosely follow a similar build and block style, but lots of room for personality, flair, and size! =)

where we all loosely follow a similar build and block style, but lots of room for personality, flair, and size! =)

Unless you're vexx. ;)

So since Corsair Bay is on the opposite side of Pirate Bay from the lighthouse. Does that mean I need to build another? lol.

Back