Minecraft

The point is; What's been added that suddenly makes it worth twice as much money? Developer capes? Throwable eggs?

it only went up $5 so it's not twice as much. You also probably looking at it the wrong way, it's not we are in beta so now we can charge more yay! it's if you get it in alpha you get a discount.

It's the same concept as pre-ordering a game, pre-order now and get $5 off, or like steam, they do a lot of pre-order this game by this date get 10% off. People don't whine about them releasing the game at the normal price because it's the exact same game it was when they offered the discount.

The point is; What's been added that suddenly makes it worth twice as much money? Developer capes? Throwable eggs?

More lag? chunks not loading? mouse disabled after going from F11 to window? World corruption? Deadmau5 exclusive model and skin? :D That shits not cheap!

it only went up $5 so it's not twice as much. You also probably looking at it the wrong way, it's not we are in beta so now we can charge more yay! it's if you get it in alpha you get a discount.

You can word it however you want, doesn't change the reality of the situation; The game now costs more and includes almost nothing extra. I don't expect to see much more than what Minecraft is right now when it's finally "released".

The game now costs more and includes almost nothing extra.

Yeah, that's what I said, why does it matter? If you already own the game it doesn't apply to you, if you don't have the game it's your own fault for not getting it sooner... it's like missing a sale... I don't get what people are complaining about...

Besides that anyway, he said it a long time ago it was going to happen no one cared then why all of a sudden do people care now...

Besides that anyway, he said it a long time ago it was going to happen no one cared then why all of a sudden do people care now...

Like a fool I assumed the increase in price would come with a comparable increase in content. Fortunately, I wasn't parted from my money this time.

I guess it boils down to when you bought it...

I paid $10 and smp was basically just creative mode.... nothing else worked... now all that works now I have twice the features and content then I did when I bought the game. He should charging $20 instead, definately...

You got a discount for participating in the Alpha testing. He has enough testers now.

Steam/Gamersgate/etc have sales and pre-order discounts all the time. It's not like the developers are obligated to add more content when the price goes up.

Only $10? I guess the USD was really strong that day or the Euro wasn't.

I think the price was around $13? Close enough.

I can understand the frustrations about long-standing bugs and buggy updates, but to say Notch is a terrible person for not developing faster is pushing it, IMO. He's doing a lot better than many other developers. Minecraft has been so much fun that I can put up with some developmental growing pains.

Last edited:
Quick update! I took down the Test world, and loaded up BroVille v9 =)

It is a world map created by a player that has been uploaded for people to play around in and explore for single player, but it can also be added to SMP. So, I decided to run this world until we get our old world back up running with mod support. The city is HUGE with lots to see, signs to read, and passage ways and tunnels and secrets all over the place :) Come check it out!

Edit: So I just ran around the BroVille world. Pretty impressive! An entire city complete with small homes, larger businesses, a harbor with ships, a Hospital, outdoor theatre, and skyscrapers. As well as a non functional mine cart Subway.. Perhaps a mod allows the Subway to be used.. If you ask me though? What we have started in our world inside Pirate Cove could be much larger. ;) If we all expanded and worked on creating a city growing outwards from Pirate Cove, our world would rock the shit outta this place. :p

arr4ws if you are willing, I am ready to expand Pirate Cove! We can also, as a server, decide together an area somewhere that we all work on to create a town or city. Each of us could add our own style and flair, some buildings homes, others landscaping or designing outdoor attractions. This would be a cool way to build and design together as a server community, rather than always hidden away in our personal lairs. We can do both! Hell if someone wants to create their own town or city by themselves I'd be excited to see that too! I love the natural surroundings, don't get me wrong, but I love seeing and exploring these massive cities and towns.. Since the world is so big, we could have 5 - 10 cities, twice the size of BroVille all connected through mine cart tracks or boat waterways... I always think big, and outdoing BroVille is now starting to look like my next project. ;)

Just logged in and saw this. It's impressive but I agree, we could make something crazier with multiple people adding things. I think we just need a road system or something made by one person so that others can easily know where/what to build.

We can also, as a server, decide together an area somewhere that we all work on to create a town or city. Each of us could add our own style and flair, some buildings homes, others landscaping or designing outdoor attractions. This would be a cool way to build and design together as a server community, rather than always hidden away in our personal lairs.

The issue I see with that is the difference between folks who can spawn their blocks and folks who have to mine for them. Like I said during the discussion on the server, I don't want the ability to spawn stuff, but at the same time I am a bit sore that where one has to spent time and effort to mine the other can just wave the wand and have it all.

I don't have a good solution to the issue. Ideally every single player would be on equal footing. In reality that would mean to remove spawn abilities from those who have them now and that would at the very least upset those folks if not make them leave altogether.

This really applies to any server out there. Having two classes of players creates discontent in the long run. It's human nature and unavoidable.

it was me

had a shitty week and wanted to destroy something beautiful, fight club style

figure it would be easy enough to reload the thing afterwards :-P

The issue I see with that is the difference between folks who can spawn their blocks and folks who have to mine for them. Like I said during the discussion on the server, I don't want the ability to spawn stuff, but at the same time I am a bit sore that where one has to spent time and effort to mine the other can just wave the wand and have it all.

I don't have a good solution to the issue. Ideally every single player would be on equal footing. In reality that would mean to remove spawn abilities from those who have them now and that would at the very least upset those folks if not make them leave altogether.

This really applies to any server out there. Having two classes of players creates discontent in the long run. It's human nature and unavoidable.

Almost seems like we need two servers. Or...a line in the sand. A place where there are unlimited blocks, and others places where you have to work for your building blocks.

This I understand completely. I can just take away everyone's ability to spawn, but those who have it won't play without it now... Do I just make everyone the same, and let those who want to leave, leave? There is right now only myself and two others who are able to spawn items. 3 of us out of 10 or so players that have been building on the server.

We could quite easily designate an area where the town that we build there, will only be from mined efforts, and not be contributed by spawned items.

The last option, which I am seriously considering is forcing ALL players on our Main world to the same builder permission group. Nobody will have item spawns, nobody will have magic carpet, and nobody will be able to change the time of day. I am also turning OFF fall damage. The experiences in Vanilla SMP have been much more exciting, dangerous, and add twice as much to the gameplay, and therefore I want that element to stay.

The solution for those who want to just spawn items and build? A portal to another world, where everyone in that world will have spawn ability, access to change the time of day, and monsters, damage, and PVP turned off. Then anyone could take a break and work on another world where everyone has the same item spawn ability... My only gripe with this is, players will only want to build there, as it is easier, leaving our Main world abandoned...

I've said it before, the item spawn ability doesn't just ruin your own chances at a more varied gameplay, but everyone who doesn't have that ability as well.. It creates conflict and bitterness, which is easy to see. I have a lot of decisions to make in the next few hours about everything... I know one thing.. I don't want HashLand to be a CareBear Creative build server only.. The closest I can get to Vanilla with mods and plugins to add to the gameplay, the better in my opinion. Thoughts ?

This I understand completely. I can just take away everyone's ability to spawn, but those who have it won't play without it now... Do I just make everyone the same, and let those who want to leave, leave? There is right now only myself and two others who are able to spawn items. 3 of us out of 10 or so players that have been building on the server.

We could quite easily designate an area where the town that we build there, will only be from mined efforts, and not be contributed by spawned items.

The last option, which I am seriously considering is forcing ALL players on our Main world to the same builder permission group. Nobody will have item spawns, nobody will have magic carpet, and nobody will be able to change the time of day. I am also turning OFF fall damage. The experiences in Vanilla SMP have been much more exciting, dangerous, and add twice as much to the gameplay, and therefore I want that element to stay.

The solution for those who want to just spawn items and build? A portal to another world, where everyone in that world will have spawn ability, access to change the time of day, and monsters, damage, and PVP turned off. Then anyone could take a break and work on another world where everyone has the same item spawn ability... My only gripe with this is, players will only want to build there, as it is easier, leaving our Main world abandoned...

I've said it before, the item spawn ability doesn't just ruin your own chances at a more varied gameplay, but everyone who doesn't have that ability as well.. It creates conflict and bitterness, which is easy to see. I have a lot of decisions to make in the next few hours about everything... I know one thing.. I don't want HashLand to be a CareBear Creative build server only.. The closest I can get to Vanilla with mods and plugins to add to the gameplay, the better in my opinion. Thoughts ?

I'd be ok with minimal changes from vanilla. There are a few things I would really like though. I would like to have creepers nerfed and no fire spreading (for reasons that can be seen on the temp world now). Other than that, you'll just see 1000 torches around my builds because I hate monsters so much. :p

The only reason I (Fweeple) didn't join your server was because of the spawning. I prefer servers that are very close to Survival SP. So, yes, I agree with you.

Thoughts ?
The way I would look at it if it were my server is that I am the one paying for it so the server, mods, and rules will be my vision on how the game should be played. Then players can decide whether they share that vision. If they do they will find a place on my server and if they don't then there are a bazillion other servers out there.

I wouldn't try to please people because there are basically as many different views on how things should be as there are players. So make the server the way you would want to run and play it and then see who joins. I doubt you will have a lack of players especially if you decide to advertise it outside of [H].

Im cool with no item spawning, but keep the market so we can purchase those rare hard to acquire blocks, ie crystal, iron, gold, lightstone, stuff like that. They are useful for adding color and whatnot to some builds.

One thing I would like added to the server that wasnt on the server before this beta debacle, give each player 2 personal warp points, instead of just the one (home). It may keep the listwarps list a little less convoluted.

Ps: I am Zexx

Last edited:
Meh, either way for me Ojax. You can tell those who spawn items, vs those who have to work for the items. It doesn't bother me really.

I only read the last page or two and the OP.

Love minecraft but think it has a hellova lot that needs to be fixed... also needs a SDK, considering how many mods are avalible and how many get broken with every update...

My view on servers + mods:
If you run a pure vanilla server (that's not whitelist), your an idiot. at the least you need anti-griefing tools to prevent assholes from burning/TNTing it to the ground.

Other than that, it's all upto the owners.

I personally run a server with Craftbook and Runecraft mods, planning to add iConomy and Craftians when they mature a little. I also had MagicTricks but feel it's too easy to abuse after _I_ accidentally burried a forest in sand... (I also am adding custom mobs, items, cooking, crafting, etc, however this is slow going because it requires people download a patched minecraft.jar - which people are scared to do for fear it's not safe... hoping hey0 will provide a solution somehow)

Also just an interesting note, until the most recent update, anyone could "spawn" items as long as they had 1 in their possession using the chest duplication hack. Now that beta has rolled around, notch has fixed that (which kills a few of us who were using it to spawn runecraft materials and now cant 'afford' to use things like diamond blocks) so the game is less entertaining but more balanced for a lot of players.

Just my views. Also if anyone is desperately bored and would like to help build a medieval-fantasy world let me know, right now I have 1 town, 1 partially-cleared cave for an underground town, and 1 (somewhat small) castle... need lots more towns and castles and stuff...

Im cool with no item spawning, but keep the market so we can purchase those rare hard to acquire blocks, ie crystal, iron, gold, lightstone, stuff like that. They are useful for adding color and whatnot to some builds.

One thing I would like added to the server that wasnt on the server before this beta debacle, give each player 2 personal warp points, instead of just the one (home). It may keep the listwarps list a little less convoluted.

Ps: I am Zexx

Agreed on both points.

My view on spawning vs non-spawning rights is if the spawners are creating interesting and relevant structures that don't go over board, than there's nothing to worry about. Now if someone with spawn rights decided to make an all gold skyscraper in the middle of Pirate Cove, I would have a problem with that!

My idea for spawn rights is that to get the foundation of something going, spawning is a necessity. Such as the parameter and streets of Pirate Cove. If what's being created with spawned materials will help facilitate people building more (and together), then more power to that user! However, after the initial build is started, it would be nice to see those rights go away. But again, it doesn't really bother me either way.

Though I must say, it would be nice if in Hashland diamond tools were readily available. ;) It just makes harvesting materials (even if it is with a cobble generator), much more enjoyable. That would probably be my biggest request; My time to play Minecraft is pretty limited. The newborn sees to that. So I hate spending that time picking away with a stone pickaxe!

Also fall damage - it sucks when I get hit by a bit of lag, or my computer freaks out and I end up falling to my death because of that!

Just my .02 c :)

Thanks everyone for your input, your honesty and understanding. I will announce what will change, and what will stay the same later today on the HashLand forum.

HashLand is now offline! As I am in the process of installing HMod and our old world! A Merry Christmas to you all! lol :p

I should have the server back up running within the next hour.. Perhaps even less than that. Just a note: The iConomy might not be working as of yet, but will definitely be coming back. All portals are broken as well, but I might be able to fix this before I even have the server back up. NPCs are also disabled until further notice.

Also! Those massive straight sided pillars that extend past the bedrock is a massive Beta bug. What is happening is that specific chunk of terrain is not being loaded by the server to your client due to this bug. Sometimes, you will be the only one who sees these, while other times, more than one of you may both see it. DO NOT try to enter these areas, as you will crash, die, or both and items will MOST LIKELY be lost. I repeat, Don't jump into these holes! Avoid all minecart tracks for now, as these unloaded chunks are random, can can happen anywhere, including the middle of your home or project. The ONLY solution is to reconnect. If that does not work, Close the entire client, or browser window and restart. If that doesn't work, you can try making sure the java process is shutdown before restarting the client. Hopefully this bug will be fixed ASAP, as it is quite nasty. =/

Open your presents, clean that shit outta the corner of your eyes, have a cup of coffee, hug and kiss your family, and by then the server should be back up. :) If you're christian, or religious, don't be a slacker... give Jesus a thumbs up.. lol ;)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your input, your honesty and understanding. I will announce what will change, and what will stay the same later today on the HashLand forum.

HashLand is now offline! As I am in the process of installing HMod and our old world! A Merry Christmas to you all! lol :p

I should have the server back up running within the next hour.. Perhaps even less than that. Just a note: The iConomy might not be working as of yet, but will definitely be coming back. All portals are broken as well, but I might be able to fix this before I even have the server back up. NPCs are also disabled until further notice.

Open your presents, clean that shit outta the corner of your eyes, have a cup of coffee, hug and kiss your family, and by then the server should be back up. :) If you're christian, or religious, don't be a slacker... give Jesus a thumbs up.. lol ;)

I just tried to log in and saw the updating message. So it'll be vanilla other than hmod/broken iconomy?

I just tried to log in and saw the updating message. So it'll be vanilla other than hmod/broken iconomy?

HashLand is back up running our Main world. Motd colors are broke (not big deal)... Npcs are broke (not big deal)... iConomy is busted to piss ( Big deal, fix asap? )... Few other minor plugin problems as well.. Lag from hell, so expect to learn2reconnect often until we get a new update or 12... Sometimes this involves closing the entire client and logging back in, not just d/cing and rejoining the server.

There is also a massive bug where large pillars of terrain are missing, not loaded for whatever stupid ass reason bug... Don't jump into these like its some Cuboid mine shaft.. You will bug out and die, or not, or crash, or drop items, and lose items... If you enjoy crashing and losing your shit, I suggest you seek one out, and build a diving board.

I liek Eggnog and dark rum at 9:13am... and huge overblown gag gift, moose head slippers. :cool:

About item spawning,

as far as im concerned , i did spawn a lot of stuff. I spawned blocks to build my huge needle when the server was not as popular as it was now. When the concern about spawning items was fully on, i decided to make a project where the item were really basic. Thats why i made pirate cove. The project took me a good 15 hours to complete and another 5 for the boat only. I dont mind going vanilla all the way. I would comply completely.

But, as far as im concerned , the server is fun right now. Since minecraft is a different experience for everyone, we cant satisfy everyone. sadly...

That's what we use on my server. Makes it so we can have a fully functional train station without boosters that take up space. And the ICs make things a lot simpler.

Wish they had one for Single player -- honestly half (if not all) of these should be in by default. Theres SO much more you can do with minecarts that haven't been done yet.

There needs to be a lot more recipes in vanillla IMO :)

There needs to be a lot more recipes in vanillla IMO :)

Recipes are easy to add (from a JAVA standpoint) the problem is when you add a recipe to YOUR client, only YOU can use it unless EVERYONE adds it to their client. That's what's kept most servers from adding massive numbers of new blocks/items/recopies/mobs/etc - that EVERY CLIENT has to be patched. (Tho I understand Hey0 is working on a solution, and even Notch himself wants to *eventually* get it where clients auto-download a content-pack from the server they join)

Have you guys seen Craftbook? Looks pretty cool!

http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/CraftBook

I've looked into that plugin before. Works fine for people who study up on how to create and use the commands... I could put it on HashLand, force players to learn how to use the commands they are allowed to use.. Redesign my cart tracks.. Could be very possible..

Anyone on HashLand server check out the link.. When enabled you are not forced to use it, but will be able to use the features I give people permission to use, like Flood gates, doors, locks, bridges etc..

Lemme know what you all think! =)

Yeah, Hashland is unplayable for me, it's crashing with "read whatever" errors all the time.

Yeah, Hashland is unplayable for me, it's crashing with "read whatever" errors all the time.

Is all the time once per 30 minutes or more often? I'm crashing a lot more than usual but it's somewhat bearable.

Back