Minecraft

The Minecraft server uses VERY little of anything, but can eat Ram pretty quickly.

I have a P4 3.2ghz with 1gb ram (OLD OLD machine) running a server just fine. Usually has 3-4 people on it. The RAM does top out though (800mb used, and I hear a lot of disk activity). I'd say if you have enough RAM, (2gb at least) you should be fine on an older CPU.

No idea what happened to sulseeker's server but there's a huge gap in the world:

Right around here (with the direction I was facing):

Whoever is daring enough and wants to see some amazing sights should visit the areas in yellow. ;)

My ancient a64 3000+ with a gig of ram handles 2 clients flawlessly as well as being a torrent/media server.

Excellent. I have exactly those specs and am currently setting it up. I couldn't get it to work in Ubuntu though, but I suppose I just need some more practice with Linux.

Uh... when you were a kid and you played legos did you just like sit there and go "What does this all mean, what's the point!"

I never liked legos so i guess this games not for me, i built model cars, boats, and helicopters that move and fly as a kid.

so I've been watching my roommate play this game religiously for a few weeks now. I really don't see whats so appealing about it, you just build stuff. can someone explain?

I can't.

I've said this several times before. I watched gameplay videos, I watched friends play, and I hear people talk about it. I said to myself "what is so enthralling? I don't get it. Why is this such a hit??". I kept wondering, then I caved and bought it.

2 weeks later I started my own server for some friends, and I've been playing this almost primarily.

I can't explain why, but I DO enjoy it. Theres a good mix of risk/reward, some rare and hard to find materials, and the feeling of accomplishment when you set out on a task and finish it successfully.

I can't.

I've said this several times before. I watched gameplay videos, I watched friends play, and I hear people talk about it. I said to myself "what is so enthralling? I don't get it. Why is this such a hit??". I kept wondering, then I caved and bought it.

2 weeks later I started my own server for some friends, and I've been playing this almost primarily.

I can't explain why, but I DO enjoy it. Theres a good mix of risk/reward, some rare and hard to find materials, and the feeling of accomplishment when you set out on a task and finish it successfully.

Same sentiment here.

I'm trying to get my friends to play but they are cheapskates.... maybe there'll be a demo or something they can play soon so they can get addicted and pay for it

After seeing people talk about this so much, watching the youtube videos etc I finally caved in and started playing this today. Now it's almost 4am and I can't stop, this is pure crack.

Haha! Can't wait for the Halloween update.

On SulSeeker's server there have been some pretty impressive construction projects started. As minecarts and tracks are not working in multiplayer I have begun construction of an underground canal system for faster transport along the major mining tunnels. It's turning out almost like a spooky carnival ride.

Haha! Can't wait for the Halloween update.

On SulSeeker's server there have been some pretty impressive construction projects started. As minecarts and tracks are not working in multiplayer I have begun construction of an underground canal system for faster transport along the major mining tunnels. It's turning out almost like a spooky carnival ride.

How do you make water flows? doesnt work for me in MP

I was digging a western surface access tunnel the other day, dug my way straight up to the bottom of a lake, flooded my entire tunnel, caused all my torches to go out

I was digging a western surface access tunnel the other day, dug my way straight up to the bottom of a lake, flooded my entire tunnel, caused all my torches to go out

Just block the hole of the lake... water will be gone.

So I finally broke down and purchased minecraft on sunday night. I'm completely hooked (as is my roomate and hopefully this weekend, some more of my friends).

I setup a server for LAN games, but absolutly hate that you cannot die or kill mobs in the SMP game mode. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. Does anyone know if there is some sort of server hack or plugin that will enable monsters and/or working health?

Mobs can still die by being in lava but it's hard to keep them there. Check out Llamacraft though.. it has a few fixes for SMP.

Seems like the server (Minecraft.net, not Sul's) is down and not working

This is why people need to download the EXE version. If the main site is down, it will go to Off Line mode so you can still play.

Not to mention with the exe, you can make the game screen any size you want.

Eyefinity Minecraft anyone?

That rapture video is incredible...

this game give people creative freedom like no other games i hav EVER played.

The halloween patch promises bug fixes in Multiplayer -- No word on exactly which ones though :).

There will also be 6 new block types. I've also heard about floodgates -- objects that interact with redstone to open/close and can cause water/lava to flow or not flow.

Think of the fun possibilities there!!

With all the money they've been raking in they need to team with a hosting provider that can handle such instances in better fashion.

I think hes working on it. Hes juggling that, starting a business, and getting the Halloween patch going

I have been playing on a great server: darkstorm.dyndns.tv

No griefing so you can really build up some great stuff. There are already quite a few impressive structures.

Back