Minecraft

Looks like the site is still getting hit.

EDIT: Finally got back in and on SulSeeker's server. Apparently there is a group of twits calling themselves the "Chaos Wolves" that came in and griefed a bunch of stuff. Joy.

Last edited:
Looks like the site is still getting hit.

EDIT: Finally got back in and on SulSeeker's server. Apparently there is a group of twits calling themselves the "Chaos Wolves" that came in and griefed a bunch of stuff. Joy.

have they destroyed a lot?

McAdmin has a great UI for stuff, and has a built-in backup scheme. Mine runs every 4 hours or something like that.

Measures are being taken to combat greifing.

All in all, I'm an easy going guy, I mean I help out mining blocks and making glass and generally playing the game as it should be played (I.E. not spawning everything under the sun... save for water/lava.)

We shouldn't have to police the server, but I realize this is the wide open internet, if someone's project gets ruined and I figure out who's responsible, they will be banned. I have no tolerance for it.

Measures are being taken to combat greifing.

All in all, I'm an easy going guy, I mean I help out mining blocks and making glass and generally playing the game as it should be played (I.E. not spawning everything under the sun... save for water/lava.)

We shouldn't have to police the server, but I realize this is the wide open internet, if someone's project gets ruined and I figure out who's responsible, they will be banned. I have no tolerance for it.

thanks! great work sul

I would just make it so anyone that wants to do stuff other then look around has to get permission and "user" rights from the admin(s). That way, if greifing happens, you have a list every possible suspect.

Wow - that would suck! Hope you had a backup to revert from. +1 for severely limiting the default rights of new users.

The only people who were given the link to my friend's server that I'm playing on are people we know in real life, so any griefing there can be easily be dealt with because I know where they live! Playing online with complete strangers would be a different story.

I need to update the screens of our map - lots of headway has been made since the map went online.

I wish Notch would get a better hosting solution. I know he can afford it, lol.

I wish Notch would get a better hosting solution. I know he can afford it, lol.

he absolutely can afford it . I have confidence in Notch , he will fix this problem. I prefer to wait and have something worth it.

Lol, a guy who sold 400.000 copies of his 10€ game, and who hasn't even leased an office for him and his 2-3 to be colleagues, can definitely afford better hosting :) My guess is he hasn't gotten around to it yet, he's a newly started indie dev after all

is it still down? I just tried to jump on and all i get is little window saying Error.

I don't blame the guy for taking it slow and cautious, it is not the best time to go crazy and lock himself into leases with the chance that the interest for the game will die off. It's a good way to end up out of business, especially if you're unfamiliar with all the costs that may be involved.

Denial of service attacks are probably not something he planned for.

Actually, they do have an office, and a CEO / business head / couple more programmers / artist, too. I think they're up to six employees? So certainly not big, but expanding from the original one man team. Don't think they're all working on Minecraft exclusively, though.

I'm just not a huge fan of his attitude about it. He said he would go back to coding and just let the hosting provider sort it out.

I don't blame the guy for taking it slow and cautious, it is not the best time to go crazy and lock himself into leases with the chance that the interest for the game will die off. It's a good way to end up out of business, especially if you're unfamiliar with all the costs that may be involved.

Denial of service attacks are probably not something he planned for.

taking it slow is a good idea. The guy only have 1 product that generates profit. He NEEDS to think carefully , if not he could go under even with all the money he made.

I'm just not a huge fan of his attitude about it. He said he would go back to coding and just let the hosting provider sort it out.

What else should he be doing? If the internet connection went down at your house, what more could you do besides call Comcast (or whomever) and yell at them, then wait for them to fix it.

I'm glad hes coding :). More updates to the game is what has me interested.

What? He stopped playing Civilization V and generally just fucking around and got around to actually do some work? :eek:

Actually, they do have an office, and a CEO / business head / couple more programmers / artist, too. I think they're up to six employees? So certainly not big, but expanding from the original one man team. Don't think they're all working on Minecraft exclusively, though.

From what i understand the crew he has hired are not working on minecraft at all but where hired for a new project. That would at least explain why as he hires more the updates actually slow down.

Honestly im getting a bit annoyed at the lack of updates. It went from weekly updates to whenever he gets around to it. Its like people forget its still alpha software and make excuses fro him but this is bad form. I really hope he gets his shit together and gets on finishing this before playing with his new little company.

The way i see it is he took a lot of peoples money on what is basically a paid alpha test now he needs to actually finish the game we paid for.

Ya $14 is not shit in the long run but its the last $14 he will get from me unless he gets going.

For a game that people pay for and a hosting service that I assume he pays, I just expect them to be a little more on the ball about things. Hell, his site gets slow just for a few thousand people a day buying the game.

Needs...better....hosting. Simple.

Honestly im getting a bit annoyed at the lack of updates. It went from weekly updates to whenever he gets around to it. Its like people forget its still alpha software and make excuses fro him but this is bad form. I really hope he gets his shit together and gets on finishing this before playing with his new little company.

I think that may simply be due to the fact that he's getting into a much more difficult phase of the project. Minecraft is $14 well spent as it is, I don't see why people are getting riled up about slower updates. You paid for the game as it is with free updates as a bonus.

I do agree that he needs better hosting.

I think that may simply be due to the fact that he's getting into a much more difficult phase of the project. Minecraft is $14 well spent as it is, I don't see why people are getting riled up about slower updates. You paid for the game as it is with free updates as a bonus.

I do agree that he needs better hosting.

I dont know about you but i bought minecraft on the promise that it was going to be a finished product. It lacks quite a bit and has too much potential for him to squander.

I dont know about you but i bought minecraft on the promise that it was going to be a finished product.

if you wanted a finished product then perhaps you should of waited until it was finished before buying it. He's a single person, working on a game by himself all while juggling real life crap and getting a business off the ground (and now dealing with entitled brats that are attacking his server).

Of course the game 'lacks', it's still in Alpha... patience

I'm satisfied with it as is in terms of features. Bugs definitely need to be fixed.

That said Notch has been giving a decent stream of blogs about the Halloween update. He is busy as some has said but also this update seems to be far more substantial than previous updates.

I think I would prefer larger, better thought out and tested updates to getting an item of the week and little else.

FML, people love to whine.

#1 There is nothing an individual can do about a DoS attack. All you can do is hope your host resolves the problem as best as possible.

#2 Who cares about the lack of updates. There is going to be a HUGE update coming soon which more than makes up for it. Plus the game was only $12.

I dont know about you but i bought minecraft on the promise that it was going to be a finished product. It lacks quite a bit and has too much potential for him to squander.

Where did you read that promise? lol.
What about "Alpha" or "Indev" sounds like "finished product"?

Try reading about what your buy next time.

I know its typical of fanatics to blindly defend their obsessions but i payed for something and am unhappy about whats going on. I have the right to be unhappy about it and am not going to let some fanboys tell me i dont.

Im not launching any attacks against him all im saying is the lack of updates is cause for concern and if he dont step it up im not willing to support him anymore.

from minecraftforum

Here is the reason Minecraft is down. Taken from 4chan…

“Minecraft is currently experiencing a stimulation provided by us.

It’s purpose is to send Notch a clear message of how the future of minecraft will turn out unless he gets to work, namely by influencing the amount of sales taking place, due to the attacks.

Start providing your customers with the updates that you promise them.

We have roughly 83,000 bots available, and preserved for this seizure, we could if we wanted to keep this going for weeks, however we have decided to give it a week, and see whether or not your attitude, and commitment will change, we believe it will when money stops rolling in for the time being…

anyhow, no we’re not from roblox, or any other minecraft clone, not to mention none of us have been around 4chan for years, and nor has any real 4channers for that matter, its all newfags now, and has been for quite a few years.”"

OK. Lets de-construct this shall we. Minecraft ‘fans’ are attacking the site to make Notch update more.

Right.

Notch does two things. 1. Makes minecraft. 2. Maintains the site.

If he is too busy repairing the site then HE ISN’T GOING TO BE ABLE TO MAKE THE GAME! Good grief, do you not have any braincells between any of you?

You paid £8 for it (if, in fact, you did pay). It’s in alpha. It’s an indie game. You think he does this for money? No, he loves building games, playing games. He talks to the community and finds out what we want, not what will sell best.

Not only that but he has a huge update headed here on Halloween. How does that not satisfy you?

People like you ruin it for everyone. It’s not big or clever. It’s pissed alot of people off plus notch might just now drop support for the game. End it there.

Well done you selfish, insignificant, ignorant twats.

/rant

This confession may turn out to be a bunch of crap. Whatever it is, I can’t get the server going. If you get no comic tonight, you know who to go for

You geniuses know that what he is selling is a fucking PREORDER that includes an alpha right?

We are not buying the alpha.

We know. That's the point. And the Alpha/Indev are the only builds available. So what's you;re point? Where does it say "final version"?

Notch USED to add one or two minor features per week.

Now he's adding about 10-15 features within the next month.

Whats changed? You're getting more features added overall....?

If the halloween patch sucks or something, then fine, but hes hard at work on a massive update that'll add a LOT to the game. 6 new blocktypes, portals to hell, new enemies, new recipes, etc.

I really don't get the cause for concern here. I mean, if you assumed this game would go from alpha to final within a month or 2, then your expectations are outta wack. Get a sense of perspective, please. This is a one man show building a game, on his own. You knew that when you paid for it. If you didn't, thats on you.

If you're unhappy with the progress of his development, then stop playing the game and come back in a year.

I know its typical of fanatics to blindly defend their obsessions but i payed for something and am unhappy about whats going on. I have the right to be unhappy about it and am not going to let some fanboys tell me i dont.

Im not launching any attacks against him all im saying is the lack of updates is cause for concern and if he dont step it up im not willing to support him anymore.

I'll blow twice that on a movie that lasts 1.5 hours (including snacks). Perspective.

Please cry all you want. The game was $12 and so far can easily provide more than $12 worth of entertainment. There is a huge update coming out soon and Notch has had a lot of issues with scaling. I agree he needs to get all the ball because it might hurt his long term prospects but I dont think he ever though it was going to get this big.

I mean look at the bullshit he has to put up with the clowns on 4chan.

Yeah, as much as it would normally be against my nature to pay for a pre-release version of a game that's a complete gamble as far as future support, I really can't complain.

I've already gotten my money's worth several times over on this game even in the alpha version, as far as time spent and enjoyment of the gameplay. So even though I'm looking forward to any future updates that happen, if it ends up staying as-is from here out, I still say it was money well spent!

I'm too new to the game to say whether or not I trust Notch to make any reasonable progress in the future, but it's really a great game in its current state anyways, so I don't really think it matters.

Back