Minecraft

I think the other night when I bought it, it had said something like 100,000 in the last 24 hours. I should've taken a screenshot.

Doubtful. Highest I saw it lately was 10,000. It's closer to 5k now.

I just started playing Dwarf Fortress two weeks ago and now this? Jesus..

Any lawyers, pm me. I may need a divorce soon. ;)

I respect people and their various likes and dislikes, if you enjoy minecraft awesome have fun.. but I just happen to find it mind numbingly boring.. just not my cup of joe i suppose

This is a really nifty game. I was concerned it would get boring fast, but it's like legos for adults.

I haven't even done a whole lot of tunneling underground yet. I just keep strip mining a nearby hill and expand my fort. :D

i got this game and thought it was incredibly boring, until I set up a server for my friend and I to play together. The game instantly turned into awesome. We built a fort and a huge chimney. Then he had to log off, so I found a deep cave nearby and made a cool underground maze for him to find later. We plan to add 5-8 friends to the server, and then I think it will be very hard to put down.

There's something to be said for strip mining and building giant staircases to the bottom of the world and building massive mines, I almost have enough Iron to start laying mining track down there... somehow its fun.

Lego for Adults.
First-Person Dwarf Fortress
Etc

going to buy and download tonight. my g/f will be at work all night so i should have plenty of free time to dive in. this sounds like exactly the game for me. there's no explicit point. you can just let your imagination run wild and go at your own pace. pretty stoked!

I just started a new world. And spawn in front of a mountain with a huge vertical. I HAD to build something inside it.

minecraft1.jpg

After digging everything out , I did the face of the castle.

minecraft4.jpg

took me a good 2 hours I think. I had to gather a lot of sands and coal to make glass. Now i will do the inside with multiple levels and glass/wooden floor. I will end all this with a huge balcony overlooking the area.

Last edited:
So does the survival mode now work with multiplayer? Have been holding off on this until then.

It works, but health isnt quite implemented yet, so you dont die. There are a bunch of other glitches too.

It works, but health isnt quite implemented yet, so you dont die. There are a bunch of other glitches too.

Hmmm... is there a bug log anywhere that you know of?

I'd love to play this with a friend or two - and we could go on the honor system for health since we know each other very well ;) but what other glitches could be gamebreaking?

So i ventured a bit too deep into a mine system and lost all my stuff including my shiny new crystal sword and a ton of iron and coal i found. So i gear up and make run just to die the second i get my stuff back.

This game can be so frustrating at times XD

So i ventured a bit too deep into a mine system and lost all my stuff including my shiny new crystal sword and a ton of iron and coal i found. So i gear up and make run just to die the second i get my stuff back.

This game can be so frustrating at times XD

The good news is that it's a little bit like EQ1 where you can do a corpse run to get most all of your stuff back (except when you fall into lava).

I just started a new world. And spawn in front of a mountain with a huge vertical. I HAD to build something inside it.

minecraft1-vi.jpg

After digging everything out , I did the face of the castle.

minecraft4-vi.jpg

took me a good 2 hours I think. I had to gather a lot of sands and coal to make glass. Now i will do the inside with multiple levels and glass/wooden floor. I will end all this with a huge balcony overlooking the area.

Please please please post pics when you're done. Or post more if you feel like it. Awesome tower.

I feel like an architect!

Here is a picture of the inside from the ground. Its not THAT massive , but i will add 3-4 levels underground.
minecraft5.jpg

Here is a picture from an access point from the other side of the mountain. I will post a video of the whole area demonstrating how i kept the area totally untouched , except for the tower.

minecraft6.jpg

I dont want to put much lighting from on the outside. Mostly torches around the entrance. I want all the light to come from the inside of the building ! Just cant wait to work on it again!

Here what it looks like from the other side of the pond. You can see my four furnace working hard to make glass and stone , and my big chest full of dirt and cobblestone.

minecraft3.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like an architect!

Here is a picture of the inside from the ground. Its not THAT massive , but i will add 3-4 levels underground.

Here is a picture from an access point from the other side of the mountain. I will post a video of the whole area demonstrating how i kept the area totally untouched , except for the tower.

I dont want to put much lighting from on the outside. Mostly torches around the entrance. I want all the light to come from the inside of the building ! Just cant wait to work on it again!

Here what it looks like from the other side of the pond. You can see my four furnace working hard to make glass and stone , and my big chest full of dirt and cobblestone.

Dude, update your avast. You're still running 4.8...

get most all of your stuff back (except when you fall into lava).

Speaking of which, I was down in a massive cave system and had a small room setup with a workstation and a furnace. I had a bucket of lava equipped and died when I right clicked to activate the workstation...:mad:

I've been contemplating getting the game to try to build a little 3d land mass I've been picturing in my head for awhile. But I dunno if i have the patience to place it block by block and then have it look like a blocky version of what I picture.

Wondering if this game will progress to a point where you could use it to create a game inside of it. Like create a little ugly 100 player or so MMO type game with a fairly big world. Restrict some of your destruction so you don't have some guy literally destroying your world over night, but leave it so people could tunnel into other people's bases and such.

That'd be an interesting way to sandbox ideas for possible future game ideas.

I've been contemplating getting the game to try to build a little 3d land mass I've been picturing in my head for awhile. But I dunno if i have the patience to place it block by block and then have it look like a blocky version of what I picture.

Wondering if this game will progress to a point where you could use it to create a game inside of it. Like create a little ugly 100 player or so MMO type game with a fairly big world. Restrict some of your destruction so you don't have some guy literally destroying your world over night, but leave it so people could tunnel into other people's bases and such.

That'd be an interesting way to sandbox ideas for possible future game ideas.

you can actually do that. Find a good server with good people and then build away!

Well I started the game last night for first time - started on a map with a bunch of big devil's-tower looking mountains all over, and started building dirt castles on the top of each hill and connecting them with bridges. I decided to build my first stone structure on top of the highest hill - started building a big stone tower with a spiral staircase up the middle, but I guess I ran into the top of the map, 'cause i got about 30 feet up, and it wouldn't let me build any higher! Guess I need to start building on a lower hill next time. :p

Tonight I'm planning on starting my first mining operation and digging into the caves below my castle-system. Hopefully will find some iron for better tools, and should have plenty of stone soon to replace all my dirt walls.

I'm loving this game so far! Can see myself killing a ridiculous amount of hours on this, since I really love the creative aspect. I am going to have to get used to 3 hours of sleep a night because of this game. :D

Well I started the game last night for first time - started on a map with a bunch of big devil's-tower looking mountains all over, and started building dirt castles on the top of each hill and connecting them with bridges. I decided to build my first stone structure on top of the highest hill - started building a big stone tower with a spiral staircase up the middle, but I guess I ran into the top of the map, 'cause i got about 30 feet up, and it wouldn't let me build any higher! Guess I need to start building on a lower hill next time. :p

post some screens of this madness! I love seeing what people can come up with. It inspires me!

I wasn't very smart when I created my latest map... I wandered quite a ways before I decided to "settle down" and create a massive floating castle.

Naturally, I don't want to leave my home in the clouds but my spawn point is super far away. Is there a way to change your spawn location?

In the meantime, to make sure I could always get home safely even if I died in the middle of the night, I decided to create a tunnel between my spawn and my castle. Only took about 4 hours lol. Ironically, I hadn't actually died at all on that map until I was finishing the final stretch of the tunnel and got ambushed by a creeper...

Well I'm proud of my tunnel. It's bright and roomy and it takes about 4 solid minutes of running to travel its length... but I'd still rather move my spawn point. It would make my compass SO much more useful. Possible?

post some screens of this madness! I love seeing what people can come up with. It inspires me!

Thanks for the interest! Mine's kindof crappy looking 'cause I'm just getting started and don't know what I'm doing too well yet, but here’s a few shots of the results of my first 4 hours or so in the game of MineCraft! :) Mostly just playing in the dirt, and a little stone-work – I have yet to venture underground at all and haven’t found any iron or other exotic materials yet. Here you can see my first two platforms and way up on the far hill will be the site of my main castle. I’m planning on replacing all these “battlement” type walls with stone as soon as I’ve mined enough for that project.

4-Hour-Overview.jpg

Here’s pic of the stairway leading to the top (need to replace all of this with stone-work and actual stair-pieces), and the start of a massive bridge to connect the next hill and start the next fort over there. There’s a pretty cool looking waterfall over there that I plan to incorporate into the next castle layout.

LargeBridge.jpg

Here’s my sad little attempt at a massive Orthanc-style tower at the top/center of the main fort mountain – I was planning on building it several times taller than this, but the game had other ideas. Apparently this hill was already fairly close to the top of the map-height, ‘cause I built it this high, and then it wouldn’t let me place any blocks past that top layer.

Tower1.jpg
Tower1-Stairs.jpg
Tower1-Top.jpg

My next step is to head underground and start mining for iron and lots more stone to speed up the castle-building. I really like spiral staircases, so I’ll probably be building a lot more of these throughout this map. Here’s the schematic I made today for my spiral mine-shaft that I’m planning to start tonight somewhere near the base of my current castle-structures (the light/dark blue colors denote stair-levels, and the middle is hollow all the way down). Planning on just drilling straight down with this pattern (need to play around and figure out which grade I want to use) ‘till I hit bed-rock, and will also be placing doors off the side-platforms to lead into any cave formations I find along the way.

spiral-schematic-1.jpg
spiral-schematic-2.jpg

fuuuuuuucccccccccccccccccc

I hate dieing. I think I am going to make a video for you guys.

Just got the game last night and I hate that I enjoy it this much.

A few questions - is there a way to specify a respawn point? I built up a mud stockade on some random mountain peak and when I died (some spiky thing blew up? - wtf is that about?) I respawned me and I forgot where I was calling home base from that location. So I had to start a new base.

It also took me a bit to realize I could make wood picks but now I am currently whistling while I burrow a hole in some spot from base 2.0 (still can find base 1.0).

Oh, and what can I do for getting more health? Stabbing cows with a sword doesn't seem to generate anything. I get very low random drops on pork. Can I coral some pigs and make them generate more pigs?

Oh, and what can I do for getting more health?

Increasing health or regaining lost health? The former, not possible, the latter, by eating pork chops (raw or cooked).

Stabbing cows with a sword doesn't seem to generate anything. I get very low random drops on pork.

It's random.

Can I coral some pigs and make them generate more pigs?

I don't think that's possible.

What's the software you used to draw this?

Flash. :) Probably not the the most optimal tool for this application, but it's what I had open at the time and am pretty fast with, so it worked ok for me. Could probably do this easier in MS-Paint if you just zoom way in to the pixel level, but I wanted to be able to draw the high-res circle over it for reference.

...The mine-spiral is looking pretty good so far, but it's going reeely slow! Somehow didn't figure it'd take near this long to dig a 20x20-block hole! :eek:

I also finished the big bridge - will post more pics later.

Last edited:
Back