Microsoft, your cargo plane full of rubber dog$#!t fail has arrived.

cgrant26

2[H]4U
The new Microsoft Flight is a heaping pile of fail.

For any of you that have been fans of the MS Flight Sim series, don't waste your time with this.

I'll start this with the only good point:

It's free to play.

Now the bad:

It's more game than simulator.
Dumbed down to console levels.
No more fan-created content.
All add-on content will be DLC.
Requires Gawful.
DLC is overpriced.

Oh well, back to FSX.

I'm new to flight games and I guess that explains why I think it's pretty good so far.
It's easy to start off with either a mouse or 360 gamepad. It's free so if it's too dumbed down for the FS vets just delete it if you don't like it.
As a flight newbie I find it a just right mix of fun while learning basics.

If I get into it I might buy the P-51 and some other stuff. If I don't nothing lost.

My dad was looking forward to this, he's been doing the flight simulator thing since way back, think Chuck Yeager game. This will probably break his heart, but oh well, hopefully no one buys this and forces them to come back with a newer version worthy of the Microsoft Flight name.

not to be to harsh but this is pretty much typical "Flight sim Snobbery"

I mean i love flight sims and flight games

I play FSX, DCS A10, blackshark, Freefalcon (and BMS), HAWX, Comanche 4, F22 TAW, Orbiter etc.. etc..

A game is meant to be fun

The only way to get an actual real simulation of a plane is to fly the real thing (check out the Falcon 4.0 Appendix, you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about). So even games like FSX , DCS etc.. all have "Game" elements to them. the Snobbery in the flight sim community sometimes can be a real let down. For a community that has been dwindling from its peak for the last 15 years it never ceases to amaze me how arrogant the community can be.

In the end enjoy the game for what it is. I haven't tried MS Flight yet but i'm sure if you take it for what it is, its a great game

and if microsoft flight sparks someone to want to try a game that is more hard-core in the simulation elements than that is great... it can only help build a community and genre of games that i want to get bigger.

I thought MS Flight was not supposed to replace any flight sim?

It's not. It is supposed to be more of a game than a sim. MS Flight sim was only every popular with the hard core sim types. They loved it, and hell it has seen use in professional environments, but regular gamers didn't give a shit. It was extremely boring because, when done right, flying a passenger plane is not supposed to be exciting. You take everything nice and smooth and most of it is done on autopilot.

So MS Flight is designed to be more of a game, less of a simulator. Less on the realism, more on the excitement/fun.

This will, however, make the hardcore sim fans all kinds of sour about life. They aren't interested in such a thing, they want more MS Flight Simulator, which is probably not forthcoming.

That's pretty normal actually. The smaller a community gets usually the more hardcore and vocal the remaining members are. During the Amiga's dying days the Amiga zealots were the most insufferable people out there. They really thought the world should revolve around their platform of choice and hated on everyone and everything that didn't support it (which at that point was pretty much everyone and everything). They were just better and they knew it, and if you'd all stop being so stupid you'd realize it too, and so on.

Also this is something of a phenomena in the sim community in that people almost seem to get in a contest to see who can out hardcore everyone else and demand more realism, more detail, etc. It can go to the point of making things almost nobody wants to play, even the people doing the demanding.

For something like that have a look at Vega Strike, an OSS game that was designed around the idea of being kinda like an Elite reincarnation but is more or less something nobody gives a shit about. There are a very vocal group of people who want more realism in the sim engine (with regards to physics and movement and such) no matter what, even though such things make the game rather hard and un fun to play.

It's not. It is supposed to be more of a game than a sim. MS Flight sim was only every popular with the hard core sim types. They loved it, and hell it has seen use in professional environments, but regular gamers didn't give a shit. It was extremely boring because, when done right, flying a passenger plane is not supposed to be exciting. You take everything nice and smooth and most of it is done on autopilot.

So MS Flight is designed to be more of a game, less of a simulator. Less on the realism, more on the excitement/fun.

This will, however, make the hardcore sim fans all kinds of sour about life. They aren't interested in such a thing, they want more MS Flight Simulator, which is probably not forthcoming.

I remember when I got one of my first computers, which was supposed to be bundled with age of empires something (II I think) but I was all dissapointed because it came with MS flight simulator something... So it was teh first game I had on it. There was only so many times you could crash a passenger plane unrealistically into different things before I ran out of things to do. :D

not to be to harsh but this is pretty much typical "Flight sim Snobbery"

I mean i love flight sims and flight games

I play FSX, DCS A10, blackshark, Freefalcon (and BMS), HAWX, Comanche 4, F22 TAW, Orbiter etc.. etc..

A game is meant to be fun

The only way to get an actual real simulation of a plane is to fly the real thing (check out the Falcon 4.0 Appendix, you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about). So even games like FSX , DCS etc.. all have "Game" elements to them. the Snobbery in the flight sim community sometimes can be a real let down. For a community that has been dwindling from its peak for the last 15 years it never ceases to amaze me how arrogant the community can be.

In the end enjoy the game for what it is. I haven't tried MS Flight yet but i'm sure if you take it for what it is, its a great game

and if microsoft flight sparks someone to want to try a game that is more hard-core in the simulation elements than that is great... it can only help build a community and genre of games that i want to get bigger.

There is a big difference between a flight sim game and an arcade flight game, and they both caters to very different group of audiences.

Flight sim games attempt to bring a simulation experience as close as possible to the general users. No any fan of arcade flight game is going to sit through the process of firing up an A-10 the way you have to in DCS A-10. Neither will they read through that "thick" A-10 flight manual. But these are the things a fan of flight sim will do.

There's no such thing as a middle ground. Either you try to come up with the best simulation current desktop technology allows (which is way beyond what a casual gamer would put up with), or you make an arcade flight game which is not what the flight sim fans would want because they know a desktop PC is capable of so much more, as DCS have proven.

So its not unreasonable for the fans of flight sims to want a more realistic flight sim which we all know is possible today.

And there's no reason to say we should all enjoy a game for what it is. If that's the case, then that would apply to every game where we just say, enjoy it for what it is. Can we not have negative opinions about video games that are not up to our expectation?

why-is-this-thread-back-again.jpg

They kind of said it wasnt going to be a sim from the start. I'm surprised you were expecting it to be.

bummer - was looking forward to another flying game. Guess I'll have to stick with FSX. Definitely not surprised considering it was free.

As long as you don't expect MS Flight to be a simulator like the previous incarnation....you'll be okay. It's a shame though...was looking forward to FSX +1 for this release. Goodbye sims.

I have no problem with MS making a flight based game. Hell, it's basically what they did with Combat Flight Sim. What pisses me off is that they shut down Aces studio and abandoned the flight simulator franchise despite the fact it had 20 years of solid profitability and a very loyal fan following.

FS may not have been for the majority, but it made money. Why kill it? Why not make both, instead of alienating a loyal customer base?

I just don't get it.

Back