[Microsoft] Windows 8 for $14.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone signed up and received the free media center add on upgrade yet? I know it says up to 24 hours, but it's been 2 days since I signed up and still no email.

Ok i got an issue, installed chrome , and when i go to flash content, I have to click on it to load/play. It is like click-to-play is enabled, but it is not, i checked. Any idea? maybe some sort of safety feature? I tried IE and flash loads up fine.

Okay for those of you wondering, I dug this up after searching around the internet

http://www.zdnet.com/how-the-new-windows-8-license-terms-affect-you_p2-7000003028/

Basically the new Windows 8 OEM policy is....there is no activation or transfer limit....you may upgrade your motherboard and components as much as you want. This is totally awesome...and props to Microsoft for stepping up!

Pretty sweet, and to be clear, this actually applies to OEM licenses as well as upgrade licenses like the one people are purchasing in this thread. Apparently add-ons like Media Center are still tied to the machine somehow tho (possibly to the existing install only?).

Pretty sweet, and to be clear, this actually applies to OEM licenses as well as upgrade licenses like the one people are purchasing in this thread. Apparently add-ons like Media Center are still tied to the machine somehow tho (possibly to the existing install only?).

Yup, it's nice to see Microsoft stepping up and selling software for a great price....and without crazy DRM schemes...I'm pretty sure alot of people pirated past Windows due to outrageous pricing....not many people were fond of forking $100 and some change...for a one time use of Windows tied to your system forever :eek:

Btw, I now have two keys of Win 8 using the OP's method. I got the first key with zero hassles. I was never asked to input my OEM key and it allowed me to pay with no hassle....the 2nd time around, it stopped me and asked for a key. I tried a few difference computers and still the same result. It just wouldn't let me any further without punching in my OEM WIN 7 key....so I just went ahead and did it....worked like a charm after that....so my guess is, after the first key, they will start to screen you....the first one is a freebie according to most people in this thread though....seconds usually get screened :p

For those of you that upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8, how long did the upgrade process take once you got it downloaded? I have homework to do tonight that necessitates me having my computer up and running. I don't really want to have to wait until friday to install this.

Yup, it's nice to see Microsoft stepping up and selling software for a great price....and without crazy DRM schemes...I'm pretty sure alot of people pirated past Windows due to outrageous pricing....not many people were fond of forking $100 and some change...for a one time use of Windows tied to your system forever :eek:

Btw, I now have two keys of Win 8 using the OP's method. I got the first key with zero hassles. I was never asked to input my OEM key and it allowed me to pay with no hassle....the 2nd time around, it stopped me and asked for a key. I tried a few difference computers and still the same result. It just wouldn't let me any further without punching in my OEM WIN 7 key....so I just went ahead and did it....worked like a charm after that....so my guess is, after the first key, they will start to screen you....the first one is a freebie according to most people in this thread though....seconds usually get screened :p

I bought 2 keys for my desktop and laptop (may buy a third for my wife's laptop). I was never asked to enter any Win 7 key. I think its entirely random, that gets tied to your email/IP address.

For those of you that upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8, how long did the upgrade process take once you got it downloaded? I have homework to do tonight that necessitates me having my computer up and running. I don't really want to have to wait until friday to install this.

If you're going to do a true upgrade -- it all depends on how much data it's got to back up and how fast your machine can do it.

A straight up install of Win8 from a fast USB drive to an SSD should take less than 10 minutes. If you're upgrading, it'll have to move your data around so it will most likely be considerably longer.

Has anyone signed up and received the free media center add on upgrade yet? I know it says up to 24 hours, but it's been 2 days since I signed up and still no email.

Took mine right around 24 hours to get I got it late last night.

Ah. My windows 7 install is from when Win 7 first came out. I'd been intending to do a reinstall to clean things up, but I just didn't want to have to re-install in reconfigure all my programs. This may be the opportunity to do it. Sounds like a project for sunday.

If you're going to do a true upgrade -- it all depends on how much data it's got to back up and how fast your machine can do it.

A straight up install of Win8 from a fast USB drive to an SSD should take less than 10 minutes. If you're upgrading, it'll have to move your data around so it will most likely be considerably longer.

Yeah I did a fresh install from an older USB 2.0 drive to my SSD took me like 15min to get to my desktop.

I have office 2007 installed on the win7 machine i want to upgrade to windows 8. I do not have the original disk and I think I can grab the serial from it still. Will I be able to transfer that office install over to the new windows 8 installation? Is there any tool that could help me with this?

I have office 2007 installed on the win7 machine i want to upgrade to windows 8. I do not have the original disk and I think I can grab the serial from it still. Will I be able to transfer that office install over to the new windows 8 installation? Is there any tool that could help me with this?

I use SIW to grab my serials before I format or upgrade.

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.php

There is a free version, just buried on the page

Quick question about the payment process. Can I pay and enter the -$25 code and not download it? I want to buy it and save it for a year or more (like I did with 7).

And will this work on custom built PCs?

You can get your key and download it and not install it.

Thanks for the heads up, I bought the full upgrade ($40) for my desktop and now using the $15 upgrade on my notebooks.

Just upgrade to Windows 8. It works great.

Quick question about the payment process. Can I pay and enter the -$25 code and not download it? I want to buy it and save it for a year or more (like I did with 7).

And will this work on custom built PCs?

Correct....you can download an ISO and burn it onto a blank media....then just save it for later....thats what I am doing with my gaming rig...I want Win 8 to mature a little further before jumping on board....my already converted my laptop though

I go to enter the code and get a message at the top of the page, "access to your account has been suspended." Anyone else getting this issue?

I go to enter the code and get a message at the top of the page, "access to your account has been suspended." Anyone else getting this issue?

Yeah go to your e-mail and get the promo code from there. Then download windows upgrade assistant (link should be in the same e-mail) and proceed to buy Windows 8....you won't get a chance to punch in the promo code until the very end, so don't sweat it....keep clicking next without fear!

so it took right at 2 days for my code the 1st time.. So I re-submitted using a different email & it took another 2 days.. So the 24 hour turn around is bogus..

I received my media center key. 24 hours after signup.

Said screw it as i could'nt get anymore then 1 win8 Pro key and just broke down and bought it from microcenter.com as they still have there $38.88 sale on Windows 8 Upgrade retail software. Local pickup only though.

will it work with my windows vista cd key?

Try punching in your info and see if it even asks you for a key...most users here say MS doesn't even check for validity of a previous windows key....if it does, just go ahead and punch it in....you just have to make sure that vista key is OEM....aka, from your laptop or OEM machine, or OEM software.....someone earlier mentioned it didn't accept their "retail" windows 7 key

Try punching in your info and see if it even asks you for a key...most users here say MS doesn't even check for validity of a previous windows key....if it does, just go ahead and punch it in....you just have to make sure that vista key is OEM....aka, from your laptop or OEM machine, or OEM software.....someone earlier mentioned it didn't accept their "retail" windows 7 key

wont take it..

says, "Windows vista home prem sp1 64-bit english 1pk dsp oei dvd" on the paper cover. top, "OEM system builder pack">

I'm sorry but I guess it won't work for Vista. After reading through the thing again, you need a Win 7 OEM key in order to get past the screen where MS asks for the key....majority of people in here says MS doesn't check for validity....its all random...I bought two keys and the first one never asked for anything...the 2nd time it asked for my key, which I gladly gave....I already had a win 7 OEM key

I'm sorry but I guess it won't work for Vista. After reading through the thing again, you need a Win 7 OEM key in order to get past the screen where MS asks for the key....majority of people in here says MS doesn't check for validity....its all random...I bought two keys and the first one never asked for anything...the 2nd time it asked for my key, which I gladly gave....I already had a win 7 OEM key

i tried it at work and then at home.....guess i have to pay more. :(

I just tried it again for the hell of it on a different laptop and got as far as when it asks for your Win7 key.. Used the one that came with my Laptop which was Win7 Home edition and double checked the code and hit sumbit and no go!

haha.. whatever.

As much as I dislike Windows 8 (well, the idea of Metro really) I hope this is still going on Thursday when I get paid...

So it never asked if I want 32bit or 64bit and it's downloading very slowly through this Windows 8 download agent thing. Ugh!

i had to enter my key twice, but it went through! thanks for the link! OEM Win7 Pro.

So it never asked if I want 32bit or 64bit and it's downloading very slowly through this Windows 8 download agent thing. Ugh!

It downloads whichever you are currently running. if running 32bit, it downloads 32. 64bit, 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back