Microsoft Will Remove OEM Bloatware For A Fee

HardOCP News

[H] News
It is pretty damn sad that there is even a market for a service like this. But, given the fact that we've been harping on OEMs for years about bloatware, I can't say we are surprised.

Now, Microsoft is doing something about the situation. In a program unknown to most computer users, the company has been using its small chain of retail stores and its online computer store to sell customized versions of popular PC models that have been streamlined for a cleaner look and better performance. It calls these machines “Signature” PCs.

Seems pointless. The manufacturers include bloatware so they can reduce prices to consumers and remain competitive with other manufacturers, then the consumer pays to remove the bloatware?

It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Seems pointless. The manufacturers include bloatware so they can reduce prices to consumers and remain competitive with other manufacturers, then the consumer pays to remove the bloatware?

It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Lol, pretty much.

Download illegal copy of OS

Format C:

Reinstall OS using illegal copy, using your LEGAL CD key, activate, no bloat, all win. (yet for some reason that is still illegal)

Format C:

Reinstall OS using illegal copy, using your LEGAL CD key, activate, no bloat, all win. (yet for some reason that is still illegal)

downloading a copy of windows from anywhere is not illegal, using an invalid key is.

also, I would just download the iso you're looking for from digital river instead of using some possibly shady torrent site

downloading a copy of windows from anywhere is not illegal, using an invalid key is.

also, I would just download the iso you're looking for from digital river instead of using some possibly shady torrent site

In the parlance of the day, +1

I have only bought 3 pre-built PC's...for other people as gifts. First thing I do is spend about three hours removing preinstalled crapware.

Maybe this will save some time.

I was able to download an official W7 ISO direct from MS when I won a legit key from a tech blog site.That said, I'd suggest avoiding the shady torrents as well.
With a little research you can find official direct MS links, you just have to provide your own key.

I was able to download an official W7 ISO direct from MS when I won a legit key from a tech blog site.That said, I'd suggest avoiding the shady torrents as well.
With a little research you can find official direct MS links, you just have to provide your own key.

This.

Everyone should download a W7 SP1 integrated ISO direct from MS.

Aren't these the exact same machines at the exact same price? I'm not sure if MS is actually charging a premium price for this, I believe this is just part of the deal you get for purchasing at an MS Store... I might be incorrect though...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/ASUS-ZENBOOK-UX31E-ESL8/productID.244365200/parentCategoryID.44066900/categoryID.50787200/list.true

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+13.3%26%2334%3B+Zenbook+Ultrabook+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+128GB+Solid+State+Drive+-+Radiant+Silver/3757001.p?id=1218429942878&skuId=3757001&st=zenbook&cp=1&lp=1

Format C:

A quick edit:

- Download *legal* Linux ISO
- Format C:
- Install Linux and enjoy

Protip: Write your OEM for a refund of the windows tax.

:D

As handy as that is now, it did not apply when I installed W7 way back when.

Also in my case it wasn't an OEM issue it was me buying a copy (student price) and literally waiting so long the company removed the copy you could download from them. Luckily they sent me the CD key when I bought it.

However it does say something to even the whole digital distribution model for software when it's easier to find (key word there.. FIND) a copy "illegally" than it is to find a legit copy. Needless to say "Windows 7 ISO" did not have the same search results return when I did it whenever the hell I installed it :D

I have mix feeling about like what others have said. OEM bloatware does help keep prices down, but nontechnical buyers/users will see PCs as sluggish POS. PC Decrapifier is a great program but to well known to those buyers.

I like what HP did with their recovery system where it lets you chose between a factory reinstall or a basic install were it will only have the system drivers and support software with the OS.

This.

Everyone should download a W7 SP1 integrated ISO direct from MS.

My interpretation of this post is that it's free to download the actual installation. Am I right? Could you guys please provide a link or some info if I'm right?

Thank you, and much appreciated.

Format C:

Can't you just boot into the partition of the hard drive and reinstall it yourself or is that also plagued with bloat

Usually the data in recovery partitions will reinstall the OS with the associated bloatware, yes. Downloading an ISO from DigitalRiver, mounting it and running the Windows installer from within Windows is generally the easiest way if you want a "fresh install".

I have mix feeling about like what others have said. OEM bloatware does help keep prices down, but nontechnical buyers/users will see PCs as sluggish POS. PC Decrapifier is a great program but to well known to those buyers.

I think this is the name of the game as well. We have to admit that everybody here knows this but will your mom or cousin? Well, they will because of us but you get my point. They are running on margins about as thick as a human hair and some OEM's need to do this to stay competitive. But HP puts this bloatware then Dell goes with that then they go with some more, and then some more, and...

This isn't anything new, as I know Costco at least has been selling these 'Signature'-branded PC's since at least last October or so (as my last laptop I bought was a Signature-branded 14" Acer TimelineX) and almost all the laptops sold there now have this treatment. Not that I cared since the first thing I did after getting it was to replace the HD with an SSD and put a fresh copy of Win 7 Ultimate on it but hey. :p

The only computers I ever buy pre-built are laptops.

First thing I do is flip them over, snap a picture of the Windows key from the sticker with my phone.

Grab my Windows CD and do a clean reinstall.

(if it's mine, I do a dual boot Linux and Windows)

Format C:

Having the Windows OS isn't what determines whether it is illegal, but the license you use does.

Best Buy/Geek Squad have been offering this "service" for years, although I don't think they charge quite as much as M$ is trying to extort ($30 vs $100).

PC Decrapifier works just fine.

>get stuck cleaning a new bloatware pc
>enter audit mode [SHIFT+CTRL+F3]
>delete bloatware
>seal
>power back on
done

Yup. I think It's actually a good idea too. Dell is pretty good about not having much bloat but pretty much every other OEM is awful. Toshiba and HP are among the worst.

I just got a new Samsung laptop and the only extra programs were Norton's, Windows Live something or other and their Eco-config program thing. The Norton's was not installed and you just had to tell it not to install, the Windows Live thing I ignore and the Eco-config lets me get to most settings a little quicker than trying to find them through W7 menus(can't find anything in W7 since it isn't where it should be like in Win2K). I also like the fact that the Samsung came with the mat finish screen instead of the stupid glossy one that ever other one had in the stores.

A quick edit:

- Format C:

:rolleyes:
Because, as we all know, Linux is a well established desktop system that has been widely adopted for it's ease of use, hardware compatibility, and low total cost of ownership.

/sarcasm off

:rolleyes:
Because, as we all know, Linux is a well established desktop system that has been widely adopted for it's ease of use, hardware compatibility, and low total cost of ownership.

/sarcasm off

The only thing not true in there is the wide adoption rate. It can be very easy to use, hardware compatibility, to me, has been pretty good on my wide array of deployments and the total cost of ownership is usually free.

All you need is an OEM MS ISO and your COA key from your machine. I wipe every new system I get. At work we usually swap out the spindle drive for a Crucial M4. So it's not exactly an extra step for us.

All you need is an OEM MS ISO and your COA key from your machine. I wipe every new system I get. At work we usually swap out the spindle drive for a Crucial M4. So it's not exactly an extra step for us.

Not too many people have the MS OEM version iso's.

Wrong, downloading windows from any location other than MS and a URL they provide is illegal.

A quick edit:

- Format C:

Then fail as you realize you just made a terrible, terrible mistake and installed a paperweight as your OS.

I've bought a number of retail Windows devices over the last couple of years. Honestly the stuff on them wasn't as bad as it's been in the past, with the exception of Norton most of the stuff was useful and didn't kill performance. And it was simple enough to just uninstall things I didn't want. The bloatware issue seems to be much better than a few years ago.

Back