Microsoft to Allow Windows XP Downgrades Until 2020

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft is allowing XP downgrades until 2020. In 2020 it will be revised to 2030. In 2030 it will be revised to 2040. In 2040…whatever, you get the point.

Windows XP is dead, Windows XP will live forever! Windows 7 Professional buyers will continue to have an option to downgrade two gens to Windows XP for the next 10 years, according to Microsoft.

Oh good. Ill dig out all my old IDE drives and AGP and throw away all this SATA crap, it will be like the 2000's never happened. Anything to help progress.

Why? Will it even be supported that long?????????

Leopard support lasted what, 4 years??? Sheesh we're going on 10 years with XP right now. I don't know how long Microsoft plans that.

XP will be the Methuselah of the IT world. We'll never see another piece of software with this type of longevity.

We have a lot of low level tape diagnostic and test software that cannot run under Vista/Win7 due to changes MS made to the kernel. Our testing labs will be running WinXP for quite a while.

Let it die... when the government adopts a technologies, it means the old one should be thrown out EVERYWHERE by then... at this rate I will die before XP does...

I work at a big US bank and they have no plans of leaving Xp anytime soon. I remember reading pc magazine with previews of “Whistler”.

If you want to use modern features or hardware, use a modern OS, not a stone-age one.

I run a phenom x4 and pretty decent hardware accross the board, fuck microsoft trying to force me to shell out 200 bucks for a single license of an operating system just so I can use dirext X features.

vista wasn't an upgrade to xp, so that's bullshit, and windows 7 may be a legit OS, but again, fuck microsoft trying to force me to spend 200 bux just so I can play a game. I won't play it.

Nobody's "forcing" you to upgrade. There are going to be games that you can't play, but there will also be plenty that you can.

Groaaaaaaaan. This means business apps will continue to be developed for XP.

Hell, why not dis-discontinue IE6? I hope Microsoft grows some balls and announces this is the LAST EXTENSION EVER. I guess balls are reserved for Apple. Read into that however you like.

I run a phenom x4 and pretty decent hardware accross the board, fuck microsoft trying to force me to shell out 200 bucks for a single license of an operating system just so I can use dirext X features.

Screw <insert car manufacturer here> for making me purchase a new vehicle just to run <insert your favorite alternative energy method here>!!!!!!!!!

And screw those bastards at Maytag for making me buy a new refrigerator just to get the more power efficient components!

And screw those dairy farmers for making me buy milk that's not expired!

:rolleyes:

By the way. Feel free to go to any other platform. Backwards compatibility on OS X is virtually non existent. Backwards compatibility on *nix, good luck with that...

vista wasn't an upgrade to xp, so that's bullshit, and windows 7 may be a legit OS, but again, fuck microsoft trying to force me to spend 200 bux just so I can play a game. I won't play it.
In as much as DirectX is a MS product, I'd say they have every right to do what they want with their products, and charge what they want. And you do not have to pay $200 for W7. I bought my 64 bit OEM W7 Pro at Fry's on sale for $130 including tax.

What?

I'm totally confused as to the point of this...

Firstly, they said support for XP was ending in the next couple of years. Secondly, with the hardware/software that's out now, none of which XP supports (and games today need the extra hardware power), why the hell would anyone want to stick with XP!?

I was a late-adopter of Win7, went 64bit, and would never look back. Running DX10/11 on 6GB of RAM with an i7 950... the smooth, powerful and convenient features of Win 7... sorry, but I cant even see the rational behind running XP anymore, period.

The days of XP and the 32bit OS are long, long dead... let it die.

Only issue I have is the fact that I do have a separate smaller system with XP, due to some progs I need to use not being compatible with Win 7 and/or 64bit OS. No big deal to me, but that's the only reason, and it never connects to the net. I just keep it installed with the few progs I need, and that's it. Don't even need to use it all the time.

Man, XP... just kill it, already.

The fact that XP is running longer and harder than any other Windows operating system (of recent time anyway) means that Microsoft obviously did something correct in XP and that they aren't doing as great of job in Vista/7. Otherwise the news and statistics would prove and show it.

What?

Firstly, they said support for XP was ending in the next couple of years. Secondly, with the hardware/software that's out now, none of which XP supports (and games today need the extra hardware power), why the hell would anyone want to stick with XP!?

You answer is below.

We have a lot of low level tape diagnostic and test software that cannot run under Vista/Win7 due to changes MS made to the kernel. Our testing labs will be running WinXP for quite a while.

I work at a big US bank and they have no plans of leaving Xp anytime soon. I remember reading pc magazine with previews of “Whistler”.

This is all about placating businesses. Many business do not want to spend the money necessary (programmer's salaries) to upgrade their apps to run on W7. This is especially true for IE6 web-based apps.

As much as Microsoft would like everyone to upgrade on their schedule, business (which controls what software is used) will continue to use XP until it no longer does what they need. Then, when the majority of businesses finally upgrade, they will stick with that release for another ten years.

For me, it'll be the same as my reason to upgrade from Win 98SE was - when I want to buy hardware that isn't supported by the OS, I'll upgrade the OS. Otherwise, why shell out the Benjamins for a new OS when I can play all the games I currently care about on XP? Not buying Win 7, which I thought was meh while I ran the pre-release trial version, saves me cash to upgrade my box, buy another game, or add yet another GPU for Folding@Home to crunch on. After all, upgrading to Vista for the sake of progress worked out SO well for so many, didn't it? Yes, Win 7 is better than Vista, but other than the DirectX argument, I see no other reason to go from XP to 7 - and that isn't enough of a reason for many of us.

What?

Since when did XP stop supporting anything? You can still use the latest hardware and latest software on XP. It's called drivers for hardware and pretty much all software happens to be built to work with 98, NT, Win2k, XP, Vista, Win7, etc. You have a minor amount of games out there that only support DX10/DX11. Like less than 1%.

I use Windows 7 Pro and Windows XP Pro. I really don't like Win7 Pro and if I could avoid it, I would. I'm paying more for less features. I can't even install multi-language packs. I have to buy Ultimate for that. Seriously? It's fucking Professional. Who the fuck do you think is going to need multi-language packs? The PC elitist who wants the OS that has every function known to man and use like 5% of those extra functions or those in the enterprise market?

I was a late-adopter of Win7, went 64bit, and would never look back. Running DX10/11 on 6GB of RAM with an i7 950... the smooth, powerful and convenient features of Win 7... sorry, but I cant even see the rational behind running XP anymore, period.

Must be awesome to run all your 32 bit programs on a 64 bit OS. How about the like 20 DX 10/11 games on the market? Pfff, the only reason for 64 bit is for more memory. The only reason for Win7 is DX 10/11, which majority of games don't really even use. Then the difference between the DX9 variant of the game and the DX10/11 is almost nothing.

Smooth, powerful, and convenient features of Win7? Aside from 64 bit or DX10/11, can you name me some of these features over XP?

The fact that XP is running longer and harder than any other Windows operating system (of recent time anyway) means that Microsoft obviously did something correct in XP and that they aren't doing as great of job in Vista/7. Otherwise the news and statistics would prove and show it.

XP did so well cause it was nothing more than a reskinned Win2k, with some home user features slapped in and better multithreaded support.

Imagine if major companies still had Windows 3.1 deployed today :eek:

I will go one better. I was at a doctors office the other day. They were still using old yellow screen terminals. Not a PC in the whole place. Freaky. I'm hoping that there was a PC serving those terminals and not an undead Univac that has become conscious and feeds on windows users. :eek:

It's official! XP is now undead.

Cover your brains and get out your shot guns, it just refuses to die!

I hate XP....I wish it would die and wish work would let me put Vista or 7 on my work laptop already...I'm the one pushing new web technologies...let me push the new OS too

Back