Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Silly question, but if you buy the basic package now, can you upgrade later to get the other aircraft and scenery?

I believe so, in the in game store I see the three versions as packages, I bought the high tier so I cant see beyond "already owned" but they are available in the in game market.

There's a freaky gaping chasm in Microsoft Flight Simulator, with an airport at the bottom of it

This yawning chasm appears to first have been found by ReversedWindow on Reddit, who was brave enough to taxi an airplane right on down inside it.

As you plunge into the pit you can actually see a small airstrip at the bottom. That's Lagoa Nova, which is apparently a small airfield in Brazil

you can also set it as your departure airport, which spawns your plane on the airstrip way down in the hole. Be warned: taking off from it will be next to impossible, but at least you'll be able to briefly visit another dimension.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www....r-with-an-airport-at-the-bottom-of-it/?espv=1

I'm a little bummed the Computer AI is broken with the new version, I enjoyed having FS running while working and using it as a screensaver.

Damn it! I jumped out of bed to get my saturday morning time in and it’s stuck at 0% on an update. Sigh.

edit. PfblockerNG was blocking it!! Oh well

I delivered a PC for my dad to play this with and he’s having fun. I explicitly told him to shut the game down when he wasn’t playing because of power consumption and heat production.

He used to pilot light aircraft IRL and I am interested in seeing if he goes all in on accessories (controls, VR headset). He’s playing on True To Life with an Xbox One controller which is a decision.

I delivered a PC for my dad to play this with and he’s having fun. I explicitly told him to shut the game down when he wasn’t playing because of power consumption and heat production.

He used to pilot light aircraft IRL and I am interested in seeing if he goes all in on accessories (controls, VR headset). He’s playing on True To Life with an Xbox One controller which is a decision.
you have no idea how many times i have to tell my dad that.. he'll finish his flight then walk away and just leave FS20 or XP11 open for days on end..

you have no idea how many times i have to tell my dad that.. he'll finish his flight then walk away and just leave FS20 or XP11 open for days on end..
I enjoy kicking on nav mode for a multiple hour flight and walking away and trying to time coming back for the approach! Fun to me for some reason.

I enjoy kicking on nav mode for a multiple hour flight and walking away and trying to time coming back for the approach! Fun to me for some reason.
He's loving using the mouse to manually set all the controls for autopilot. Spending most of him time in the Daher TBM 930 and he even downloaded the pilot handbook for the plane. I did show him there were a plethora of add on panels and whatnot he could buy for the game and mentioned he might get a kick out of VR.

Steam's counter isn't necessarily accurate and it has him at 76hrs which makes me suspect the warning about idling the game went right on by. His choice.

He's loving using the mouse to manually set all the controls for autopilot. Spending most of him time in the Daher TBM 930 and he even downloaded the pilot handbook for the plane. I did show him there were a plethora of add on panels and whatnot he could buy for the game and mentioned he might get a kick out of VR.

Steam's counter isn't necessarily accurate and it has him at 76hrs which makes me suspect the warning about idling the game went right on by. His choice.

don't get the panels, they don't work correctly in fs20 yet. hell they barely worked in xp11, requires to many damn scripts to setup because logitech is a worthless ass company that doesn't support their products.

if he really wants to get into flying and not just something to do for a short period of time, take a look at the honeycomb stuff. not super high end but also not logitech junk. if you want super budget then take a look at the CH yoke(doesn't have the deadzone issue the logitech pro has)/rudder pedals, i can even ship him the extra set of CH rudder pedals i have unopened because i was an idiot and accidentally ordered 2 sets and can't be bothered to sell it.

Honeycomb yokes are in stock here at the original MSRP if anyone is looking:
https://store.x-plane.org/-Honeycomb-Alpha-Flight-Yoke-and-Switch-Panel_p_1091.html

Also, Microcenter has the Logitech pro rudder pedals in stock:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/477273/logitech-pro-flight-rudder-pedals

It's been just about impossible to get flight gear since FS2020 launched, so I jumped on these. I never used any kind of flight hardware before so hopefully it's a nice step up from the PS4 controller that I am using now.

Honeycomb yokes are in stock here at the original MSRP if anyone is looking:
https://store.x-plane.org/-Honeycomb-Alpha-Flight-Yoke-and-Switch-Panel_p_1091.html

Also, Microcenter has the Logitech pro rudder pedals in stock:
https://www.microcenter.com/product/477273/logitech-pro-flight-rudder-pedals

It's been just about impossible to get flight gear since FS2020 launched, so I jumped on these. I never used any kind of flight hardware before so hopefully it's a nice step up from the PS4 controller that I am using now.

definitely good choices. i do like the logitech rudder pedals, i'm just a cheap arse and have stuck with the CH ones.

According to The Register, gamers are launching mod projects to convert the data set used by Bing over to the data set used by Google before loading those assets into the game. You can see a video tutorial on how to pull off this asset-switching here, if you’re curious about improving your own image quality.

End-users have begun to notice that the data sets available from Google are better. In some cases, they’re much better. It’s not that the Bing sets are necessarily bad — reviewers and players alike were excited by the unparalleled detail, even if the game’s notable bugs have also generated their share of headlines.

In a plaintive post titled “Can we talk about photogrammetry quality,” user MegaRiceBall734 writes:

In regard to photogrammetry, we often talked about number of cities or places that have it on Bing vs. Google. However, when I was examining the same area on both platforms, to my surprise (or not), the quality of photogrammetry on Bing is a lot worse, both in texture quality and polygon counts. This is probably why sometimes I feel the autogen is even because the polygon count could be higher and the texture is definitely sharper.
He then provides some specific examples of photogrammetry comparisons between the Bing and Google data sets.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ers-are-replacing-bing-maps-data-with-googles

According to The Register, gamers are launching mod projects to convert the data set used by Bing over to the data set used by Google before loading those assets into the game. You can see a video tutorial on how to pull off this asset-switching here, if you’re curious about improving your own image quality.

End-users have begun to notice that the data sets available from Google are better. In some cases, they’re much better. It’s not that the Bing sets are necessarily bad — reviewers and players alike were excited by the unparalleled detail, even if the game’s notable bugs have also generated their share of headlines.

In a plaintive post titled “Can we talk about photogrammetry quality,” user MegaRiceBall734 writes:

He then provides some specific examples of photogrammetry comparisons between the Bing and Google data sets.

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...ers-are-replacing-bing-maps-data-with-googles
it's very region based, some of the image sets from google are better than bing and some are worse, it's not 100% one or the other. even in XP11 i have some areas that are stitched together using map images from 3-4 different sources. royal pain in the arse to do but looks insanely better.

it's very region based, some of the image sets from google are better than bing and some are worse, it's not 100% one or the other. even in XP11 i have some areas that are stitched together using map images from 3-4 different sources. royal pain in the arse to do but looks insanely better.
but it wouldn't affect areas where photogeometry aren't used and are using generic building models, right?

but it wouldn't affect areas where photogeometry aren't used and are using generic building models, right?
nvm i retract what i wrote, was still reading through that thread, completely different from what i was thinking.. figured it was similar to what ortho does in xp but it's just replacing the building models which makes sense that googles is better since it's 3rd party provided imagery and not AI created.

The second world update for Microsoft Flight Simulator is live now, and it brings a variety of visual improvements to the United States of America...the USA will benefit from hand-crafted versions of four new airports (Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth, Friday Harbor, and New York Stewart), a Discovery Flight pilots can take across its eastern seaboard, a Bush Trip over the Alaskan wilderness, and "an improved digital elevation model with resolution up to one meter, along with new aerial textures for significantly better appearance in several states across the country."

there are also 50 high-fidelity points of interest to gawp at as you fly past...World Update II: USA is available for free...

Patch 1.11.6.0 release notes...
Release Notes (1.11.6.0) World Update II: U.S. Now Available! - Microsoft Flight Simulator

Last edited:
I love the additions but I really wish they would fix AP, controller rudder issues and other things that have been around since launch :(

I ended up uninstalled the game. After they broke computer AI control a few updates back I wasn't interested in playing. I would normally set a route to fly and take over during meetings at work.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is getting a UK-focused update in January...It will include 50+ points of interest...Full VR support is coming in December...The team is also working on DirectX 12 support, which is part of the Xbox release of the game...Helicopters also planned for 2022...

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1332097392615845888

499.jpg

500.jpg

501.jpg

anyone using a Steam Controller to fly and if so, how well does it work, for the smaller planes in particular

Depending on the carrier (both cell and airline), it may have been free. But I'd like to know also!

Microsoft Flight Simulator is now playable in VR

Microsoft Flight Simulator is now playable in virtual reality, with support for every major headset on the market...the news was announced by Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, who calls this "the deepest and most immersive virtual flight experience in the new simulator to date."...

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/12...d=_ekakbp1jv0kft0hekk0sohznxf2xsex6ofvrs3j200

You don't even need rudder pedals for FS2020 because aircraft fly permanently with auto-rudder.

They either didn't model adverse yaw into the FS2020 or it's bugged.

I enjoy the game, recently just got my Honey comb bravo quadrant. Still need to get better at landing

World Update 3, which will introduce new terrain and map data for the UK—England, Wales and Scotland—will release on February 16th...

Game is really nice, although there are a few bugs here and there.

I'm using this guy and it's worth every penny!

1613096171567.png

Back