Microsoft Expected to Post Sharp Profit Rise

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Thanks to strong demand for Windows based PC and laptops, Microsoft is expected to report a ”sharp” rise is quarterly profits. Analysts forecast Microsoft to post a 66 percent rise in quarterly net profit to $4.35 billion.

"We're looking for Microsoft to continue to have positive results. Last quarter was one of the best we've seen from it in a very long time and we think the company is certainly headed in the right direction," said Andy Miedler, technology analyst at Edward Jones.
 
Hell yea. It just proves that what people want are Windows and Microsoft products. HAIL TO THE KING!
 
Hell yea. It just proves that what people want are Windows and Microsoft products. HAIL TO THE KING!
I dunno dude, I think Linux made some serious cash this past quarter. It's pretty expensive compared to Vista, but I think it's worth it to be able to use OS X on a PC. I mean, it's not exactly OS X, but I heard Linus Torvalds is the same guy who made OS X. Once I save up enough money, I'm going to buy Linux everything for my PC. Operating system, keyboard, mouse, display...the whole kit 'n caboodle. I would just stick with my Microsoft®™© products but I heard Microsoft deliberately put computer chips into all of their hardware products so it wouldn't work with Linux. Does anybody know if this is true or if it's just a rumor?
 
I dunno dude, I think Linux made some serious cash this past quarter. It's pretty expensive compared to Vista, but I think it's worth it to be able to use OS X on a PC. I mean, it's not exactly OS X, but I heard Linus Torvalds is the same guy who made OS X. Once I save up enough money, I'm going to buy Linux everything for my PC. Operating system, keyboard, mouse, display...the whole kit 'n caboodle. I would just stick with my Microsoft®™© products but I heard Microsoft deliberately put computer chips into all of their hardware products so it wouldn't work with Linux. Does anybody know if this is true or if it's just a rumor?

What are you talking about?

OS X is not Linux FYI.

Microsoft products do work with linux.

Linus Torvalds created the Linux Kernel not OS X.

OS X is a competitor to Windows created by Apple.
 
What are you talking about?

OS X is not Linux FYI.

Microsoft products do work with linux.

Linus Torvalds created the Linux Kernel not OS X.

OS X is a competitor to Windows created by Apple.

I'm sure he was being facetious. :rolleyes:
 
I'm sure he was being facetious. :rolleyes:

Probably, and I was being thick headed and not getting it. Sorry to finalgt if I did not get it.

Too much stupid book work today! My brain is going crazy! :p
 
This really proves that Microsoft in it's creation of Windows truly brought computing to the masses. In the old school days it was command line 101 and for a long time into the ms-dos days until Windows rolled around. Not until Windows 3.0 or 3.1 did people start to catch on that this is not only an OS, but had an appealing facade that people could try and relate to with respect to actually running a computer and not feel like a n00b. It took time, but Microsoft for the most part got it right with Windows. Once Windows 95 hit the shelves the doors blew wide open and computing for the masses truly took off. Think about it, Microsoft has created a computing environment that the average joe user can use with minimal effort and in a matter of a few weeks find themselves immersed in that medium. This is why Microsoft is king of the hill and Apple has to resort to goofy commercials to get people to come over to their neck of the computing woods.

Hell, any of you remember when people were waiting in long lines at midnight for Windows 95? You don't see the effete Apple masses doing that. I take that back. It happened to the iPhone, 12 years later, but it happened :D. Either way, big kudos to Microsoft. My portfolio loves you.
 
I dunno dude, I think Linux made some serious cash this past quarter. It's pretty expensive compared to Vista, but I think it's worth it to be able to use OS X on a PC. I mean, it's not exactly OS X, but I heard Linus Torvalds is the same guy who made OS X. Once I save up enough money, I'm going to buy Linux everything for my PC. Operating system, keyboard, mouse, display...the whole kit 'n caboodle. I would just stick with my Microsoft®™© products but I heard Microsoft deliberately put computer chips into all of their hardware products so it wouldn't work with Linux. Does anybody know if this is true or if it's just a rumor?

If they're making more money they're obviously doing something right. It's just like 90% of the PC world using Windows. If something were better it would have the 90% market share. But there isn't. So Microsoft makes lots of money because Microsoft makes good products. Maybe if Linux was any good more than 3 people would use it.
 
now we just need a mac vs a pc commercial firing back at the mac dude... :D
 
If they're making more money they're obviously doing something right. It's just like 90% of the PC world using Windows. If something were better it would have the 90% market share. But there isn't. So Microsoft makes lots of money because Microsoft makes good products. Maybe if Linux was any good more than 3 people would use it.
I could try to continue speaking to you, but if I go any further than this, the right side of my brain will shrivel up and dry into a vacuous grey husk and the left side of my brain, drunk with double the requisite operational amount of blood (and power) stolen from its freshly deceased counterpart, will turn its attentions towards grander schemes and systematically rebel against my vital organs. It would start small, maybe with the pancreas, and upon finding success dispatching such an impotent foe, it would discover a newfound lust for conflict and escalate its ambitions higher and higher up the chain until it has vanquished all of its perceived foes but my lungs and my heart. And the left side of my brain would stand before my lungs and my heart impudently - its visage marred by its terrible misdeeds, the veins to which it owes its continued existence knotted and gnarled - and my lungs and heart would understand mutually, without communication, the sacrifice that must be made and simultaneously deprive the terrible left side of my brain of both its oxygen as well as its plasma...and the left side of my brain would pulse in horror as it found itself throbbing pathetically in rebellion of the inevitable ebb of life from its form, and I would collapse at my keyboard, wholly unaware of the sacrifice made by my more noble organs to prevent the left side of my brain from attempting to engage somebody named "L33t Masta" in an e-argument.
 
If they're making more money they're obviously doing something right. It's just like 90% of the PC world using Windows. If something were better it would have the 90% market share. But there isn't. So Microsoft makes lots of money because Microsoft makes good products. Maybe if Linux was any good more than 3 people would use it.

lol, linux is very good for what it is made for. It is not good for the masses, but that is because user friendliness is not its strength.

Linux is the master of the server rooms though and runs most of what you look at everday surfing the internet, downloading files, getting emails, etc. and is the work horse OS.
 
The vast majority of computers ship with a MS os and many also ship with MS productivity software. Prolly more computers have MS office installed than the total number of nix and OS X machines combined I would guess.

If computer sales go up, (server, personal, workstation, business, or otherwise), MS's profits go up. Hardly difficult to figure out.
 
I could try to continue speaking to you, but if I go any further than this, the right side of my brain will shrivel up and dry into a vacuous grey husk and the left side of my brain, drunk with double the requisite operational amount of blood (and power) stolen from its freshly deceased counterpart, will turn its attentions towards grander schemes and systematically rebel against my vital organs. It would start small, maybe with the pancreas, and upon finding success dispatching such an impotent foe, it would discover a newfound lust for conflict and escalate its ambitions higher and higher up the chain until it has vanquished all of its perceived foes but my lungs and my heart. And the left side of my brain would stand before my lungs and my heart impudently - its visage marred by its terrible misdeeds, the veins to which it owes its continued existence knotted and gnarled - and my lungs and heart would understand mutually, without communication, the sacrifice that must be made and simultaneously deprive the terrible left side of my brain of both its oxygen as well as its plasma...and the left side of my brain would pulse in horror as it found itself throbbing pathetically in rebellion of the inevitable ebb of life from its form, and I would collapse at my keyboard, wholly unaware of the sacrifice made by my more noble organs to prevent the left side of my brain from attempting to engage somebody named "L33t Masta" in an e-argument.

Sorry Finalgt...but he did not deserve that and your post made you look like a silly little kid.

Say what you will about Microsoft, but I love this company because almost everything it makes is damned good, user friendly, and works. Sure, they have their flaws, but I have to say between windows and OS X, it's windows. Flaws and everything. At least microsoft acknowledges security holes and fixes them. Xbox 360. I had the RROD on my xbox and I still think it is the best console Ive ever owned. Zune. Have had ipod and rio karma and zune beats them all, even if it is one of microsoft's weaker efforts.

The point is, If Microsoft wasent this good, if they did not do what they did right, and if they did not care about their competetion, then the arrogance from that would have toppled them eventually.
 
OS X is not Linux FYI.
Built on *nix though... He wasn't entirely wrong.

$4.35 bil profit on $4.39 bil revenue.
:eek: Now that is some strong profit...

now we just need a mac vs a pc commercial firing back at the mac dude... :D
That's the thing I was thinking about today. Apple advertises the death out of their machines. How many Windows commercials have you seen?
In the past 7 years or so, I haven't seen ANY. I've seen an Office 2007 commercial twice- that's it.

Plain and simple truth is Microsoft doesn't have to rely on advertising and false truths (looking at you- Apple), and corny ads to sell their products.

At least microsoft acknowledges security holes and fixes them. Xbox 360. I had the RROD on my xbox and I still think it is the best console Ive ever owned. Zune. Have had ipod and rio karma and zune beats them all, even if it is one of microsoft's weaker efforts.
Security holes... And with all the reports and such coming out- Apple is one of the worst out there on the market for speed in actually patching their holes!

Zune is a weak effort. However having used many types of players (Creative, Apple, iRiver, etc) the Zune is the best one I've got. When it first came out I called it a PoS, but my how my opinions have changed.
In all honesty I think it is the easiest player to use, even more so than the iPod.

Xbox 360 kicks butt. I just recently got one a month or two ago, I can't believe I didn't get one sooner. I haven't touched the Wii in forever ;)
 
I could try to continue speaking to you, but if I go any further than this, the right side of my brain will shrivel up and dry into a vacuous grey husk and the left side of my brain, drunk with double the requisite operational amount of blood (and power) stolen from its freshly deceased counterpart, will turn its attentions towards grander schemes and systematically rebel against my vital organs. It would start small, maybe with the pancreas, and upon finding success dispatching such an impotent foe, it would discover a newfound lust for conflict and escalate its ambitions higher and higher up the chain until it has vanquished all of its perceived foes but my lungs and my heart. And the left side of my brain would stand before my lungs and my heart impudently - its visage marred by its terrible misdeeds, the veins to which it owes its continued existence knotted and gnarled - and my lungs and heart would understand mutually, without communication, the sacrifice that must be made and simultaneously deprive the terrible left side of my brain of both its oxygen as well as its plasma...and the left side of my brain would pulse in horror as it found itself throbbing pathetically in rebellion of the inevitable ebb of life from its form, and I would collapse at my keyboard, wholly unaware of the sacrifice made by my more noble organs to prevent the left side of my brain from attempting to engage somebody named "L33t Masta" in an e-argument.

So rather than post something PRODUCTIVE you chose to post a long winded speech about how I just won. Alright.

Sorry Finalgt...but he did not deserve that and your post made you look like a silly little kid.

Say what you will about Microsoft, but I love this company because almost everything it makes is damned good, user friendly, and works. Sure, they have their flaws, but I have to say between windows and OS X, it's windows. Flaws and everything. At least microsoft acknowledges security holes and fixes them. Xbox 360. I had the RROD on my xbox and I still think it is the best console Ive ever owned. Zune. Have had ipod and rio karma and zune beats them all, even if it is one of microsoft's weaker efforts.

The point is, If Microsoft wasent this good, if they did not do what they did right, and if they did not care about their competetion, then the arrogance from that would have toppled them eventually.

I got the RROD too but Microsoft was nice enough to repair it for free :D. I imported a Zune to canada so I wouldn't have to use an iPod. It's features attracted me more. Bigger screen especially. And what people don't understand is that Microsoft has to be doing something right for them to continue to be successful.
 
I'm just waiting for someone to say or imply something about Microsoft using its weight to snuff out competitors.


*twiddles his fingers*
 
So rather than post something PRODUCTIVE you chose to post a long winded speech about how I just won. Alright.



I got the RROD too but Microsoft was nice enough to repair it for free :D. I imported a Zune to canada so I wouldn't have to use an iPod. It's features attracted me more. Bigger screen especially. And what people don't understand is that Microsoft has to be doing something right for them to continue to be successful.

saaayyy.. speaking of Xboxes and Microsoft.

I wonder if it occured to the Apple camp that they haven't a console to call their own ;)
 
I'm just waiting for someone to say or imply something about Microsoft using its weight to snuff out competitors.


*twiddles his fingers*

Don't bother. He has a skull about 2 inches thick and has nothing but Microsoft propaganda crammed into the tiny remaining space. Typical troll.
 
I'm just waiting for someone to say or imply something about Microsoft using its weight to snuff out competitors.


*twiddles his fingers*

They just have better products than the competition. That's the beauty of an open market :D

Also
This message is hidden because Nemesis999 is on your ignore list.
 
They just have better products than the competition. That's the beauty of an open market :D

Also
This message is hidden because Nemesis999 is on your ignore list.

There is no competition because MS bought them all out. They have nice products, but very little of can be accredited to MS.
 
There is no competition because MS bought them all out. They have nice products, but very little of can be accredited to MS.

So they invest in small buisnesses and develop them. Whats so wrong with that? The small buisnesses get money and Microsoft gets a great product for them to market with better quality and features than what there would have been on the original.
 
Hell yea. It just proves that what people want are Windows and Microsoft products. HAIL TO THE KING!

s/want/are forced to buy/

also, their products are so well designed that >30% of all Xbox360 .... hmm, you know why it's called 360?
from the store to you to the store ... it does a repair 360 every month :)

and well Windows7 due out... maybe in 18months and Vista only having 10% marketshare....

What MS counts as a sale doesn't necessarily transfer to product being used. Its called the MS-tax for a reason *cough* My IT having stacks of Vista discs but have only just rolled out XP *cough* sales of Vista \o/


but yer they report a profit
 

yeah eeyrjmr Microsoft's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy their product :rolleyes:

Amusing to say the least when you all claim Linux and OSX can do everything Windows can. But better.

You should be fired from the IT department for withholding Vista CD from your company in favor of XP due to personal crusade against Microsoft.
 
Computer OS can be related to vehicles by fuel type.

Diesel = Linux/Unix, without this the world would come to a grinding halt but for the most part the every day Joe has no desire to use the work horse version.

Gas/Petrol = MS Windows, easy to find, most products are made for this fuel(OS) type, it is the main Consumer fuel of preference.

Hybred = OSX, face it, without intel chips(gas) the OSX world would be much further behind then it already is in terms of compatibility, heck you can run Windows on the new Apple computers duel booting.

CNG/H2/Electric = Solaris, very few products out there, almost none for consumer end, most are used as utility or service vehicles such as area utility company's running their service trucks on CNG.

Windows 3.11 was my first stint into a GUI OS, before that it was all DOS. Why did I drop DOS like a bad habit? Windows was easy, I didn't have to memorize a few dozen commands to be able to do simple tasks. Ease of use is why windows took such a big chunk of the market share, that and compatibility of hardware, you can build your own computer and put MS on it, you cant do that with Apple computers.

All in all I like Vista64, it looks cool and for the most part has most of the major bugs knocked out with SP1 that came out yesterday. Vista is not for everyone, unless you are building a new mid to top end computer stick to XP SP2, trying to upgrade the OS on your P4 computer is where most of the "problems and slowness" come from.
 
This really proves that Microsoft in it's creation of Windows truly brought computing to the masses. In the old school days it was command line 101 and for a long time into the ms-dos days until Windows rolled around. Not until Windows 3.0 or 3.1 did people start to catch on that this is not only an OS, but had an appealing facade that people could try and relate to with respect to actually running a computer and not feel like a n00b. It took time, but Microsoft for the most part got it right with Windows. Once Windows 95 hit the shelves the doors blew wide open and computing for the masses truly took off. Think about it, Microsoft has created a computing environment that the average joe user can use with minimal effort and in a matter of a few weeks find themselves immersed in that medium. This is why Microsoft is king of the hill and Apple has to resort to goofy commercials to get people to come over to their neck of the computing woods.

Hell, any of you remember when people were waiting in long lines at midnight for Windows 95? You don't see the effete Apple masses doing that. I take that back. It happened to the iPhone, 12 years later, but it happened :D. Either way, big kudos to Microsoft. My portfolio loves you.

I would like to set something straight here. Neither Windows 3.0, 3.1 nor 3.11 were operating systems. They were nothing more than graphical front ends loaded from DOS. None of previous iterations of Windows were operating systems either. The first actual graphical OS from MS was Windows 95 (or possibly NT 3.51 as I don't actually have any experience at all with it).

I will not bash Windows 95 because it was for the most part revolutionary in regards to MS's previous OSes. Instead of being the glorified GUI menu program Windows 3.1 was, Windows 95 was actually a complete operating system. It offered much more than any previous version of Windows. I won't say it was actually easier to use than 3.1, but it was much more powerful.

I don't necessarily see Windows 95 being a big turning point for personal computing. Trust me, it wasn't the user interface that kept a lot of people from using computers, it was the price of the total system. Computer hardware today is literally dirt cheap compared to what it was ten or more years ago. Price has pushed adoption. It just happens that MS was the most used OS provider by this time.

You can thank Apple for keeping their system closed and proprietary and IBM for opening up their platform for allowing MS to become as big as it has. IBM PCs and clones paved the way for MS to be put on so many systems.

I won't give MS credit like others. Without hardware, your software is worthless. MS just happened to support the platform which took off and grew exponentially. As the initial leader MS has been able to keep the position through inertia as much as innovation.

I will not call all MS products crap, but I won't praise them for everything either.

 
So they invest in small buisnesses and develop them. Whats so wrong with that? The small buisnesses get money and Microsoft gets a great product for them to market with better quality and features than what there would have been on the original.

The have a history of buying out a small company, firing its workers and taking whatever IP they want and embedding it into their products without recognizing where it came from.

If the small company didn't want to play that game, MS would just steal the IP and change enough to make it seem like their own. Anyone remember Stac Electronic? Or how about Central Point Software (later acquired by Symantec)? Oh yeah, and what happened to Netscape? Hell Windows itself would have never existed if Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn't work out a business deal to provide office software for the Macintosh.

Don't get me wrong, they seem to have come a long way from their roots. I like MS products as much as the next guy. But they're not number one because they make such great products. They're number one because of their business tactics and the only alternative (Mac OS) in the beginning was 2-5 times more expensive and completely unable to work with already in place infrastructure (MS-DOS, which is also another product MS bought and made their own).
 
I would like to set something straight here. Neither Windows 3.0, 3.1 nor 3.11 were operating systems. They were nothing more than graphical front ends loaded from DOS. None of previous iterations of Windows were operating systems either. The first actual graphical OS from MS was Windows 95 (or possibly NT 3.51 as I don't actually have any experience at all with it).

I will not bash Windows 95 because it was for the most part revolutionary in regards to MS's previous OSes. Instead of being the glorified GUI menu program Windows 3.1 was, Windows 95 was actually a complete operating system. It offered much more than any previous version of Windows. I won't say it was actually easier to use than 3.1, but it was much more powerful.

I don't necessarily see Windows 95 being a big turning point for personal computing. Trust me, it wasn't the user interface that kept a lot of people from using computers, it was the price of the total system. Computer hardware today is literally dirt cheap compared to what it was ten or more years ago. Price has pushed adoption. It just happens that MS was the most used OS provider by this time.

You can thank Apple for keeping their system closed and proprietary and IBM for opening up their platform for allowing MS to become as big as it has. IBM PCs and clones paved the way for MS to be put on so many systems.

I won't give MS credit like others. Without hardware, your software is worthless. MS just happened to support the platform which took off and grew exponentially. As the initial leader MS has been able to keep the position through inertia as much as innovation.

I will not call all MS products crap, but I won't praise them for everything either.


Actually MS's first GUI OS was OS/2 1.1. Granted they partnered with IBM and only deserve half the credit for it. Even then Presentation manager was still just a front end, but the graphical API was an integral part of the base OS unlike DOS/Windows was at the time.
 
s/want/are forced to buy/

also, their products are so well designed that >30% of all Xbox360 .... hmm, you know why it's called 360?
from the store to you to the store ... it does a repair 360 every month :)

and well Windows7 due out... maybe in 18months and Vista only having 10% marketshare....

What MS counts as a sale doesn't necessarily transfer to product being used. Its called the MS-tax for a reason *cough* My IT having stacks of Vista discs but have only just rolled out XP *cough* sales of Vista \o/


but yer they report a profit

No one forces you to buy Windows. And do you know how to speak proper english? I can't even begin to try and understand what you're trying to say about the 360. If it's about a couple red rings of death then maybe you need to look into the repair process. They repair them FREE for up to 3 yearspast their purchase date. II boought mine a year into it's life so I should be alright until the next XBOX comes out. And Windows Vista has had the best launch of any operating system. Even Bill Gates says so. And if your IT dept has stacks of Windows Vista discs but they aren't being used, you made a bad decision by buying them.
 
No one forces you to buy Windows. And do you know how to speak proper english? I can't even begin to try and understand what you're trying to say about the 360. If it's about a couple red rings of death then maybe you need to look into the repair process. They repair them FREE for up to 3 yearspast their purchase date. II boought mine a year into it's life so I should be alright until the next XBOX comes out. And Windows Vista has had the best launch of any operating system. Even Bill Gates says so. And if your IT dept has stacks of Windows Vista discs but they aren't being used, you made a bad decision by buying them.

Try going to Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway/Emachines, Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, or many others and get a system without some version of Windows bundled in. Oh wait.. you can't. You're not forced to use it, but you are forced to buy it, In some rare cases you can get a system without an OS, I know both Dell and Gateway have tried that from time to time, but generally push so few systems without an OS that they don't keep the option around for long.
 
Try going to Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway/Emachines, Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, or many others and get a system without some version of Windows bundled in. Oh wait.. you can't. You're not forced to use it, but you are forced to buy it, In some rare cases you can get a system without an OS, I know both Dell and Gateway have tried that from time to time, but generally push so few systems without an OS that they don't keep the option around for long.

Then build your own PC. You don't have to buy Windows. Just build your own PC. But why you would want to use an inferior operating system is beyond me. No game support, lack of official drivers, inadequate for todays technological needs. THat about sums up Linux.
 
Then build your own PC. You don't have to buy Windows. Just build your own PC.
Not everyone is able or has time to build their own computer. Some people (especially businesses) need the support that buying a Pre-built offers.
But why you would want to use an inferior operating system is beyond me. {/QUOTE] Inferior? If it's so inferior why is MS starting to model it security system after It? Why does it run on more than half of web servers, including this very forum your posting on? Mind you, I'm talking about *nix in general, not just Linux and its distributions.

No game support,
Not everyone uses a computer to play games. Even then most OGL games work in *nix and some D3D can be made to work using a compatibility layer.

lack of official drivers,
most hardware is supported in the latest *nix releases. Just because the manufacturer may or may not provide working drivers, that doesn't mean someone else can't provide drivers that provide at least a baseline functionality.

[Quote[inadequate for todays technological needs.
what needs? Be specific.
THat about sums up Linux.

You really shouldn't partake in discussion you obviously know so little about.

I'm not a Linux nut, I use Windows every day and rarely touch a Linux box in person. But I'm not going to discredit it as an OS though because it has some very strong points. Is it a mainstream desktop OS, by no means. But that doesn't make it a worthless OS.
 
Then build your own PC. You don't have to buy Windows. Just build your own PC. But why you would want to use an inferior operating system is beyond me. No game support, lack of official drivers, inadequate for todays technological needs. THat about sums up Linux.

I already build my own systems and have been doing so for a very long time. The people who can and do build their own systems is a small minority for many various reasons.

At this point I only buy a copy of Windows so I have a halfass idea of what the OS is like so I can fix things on other people's systems.

I don't use an inferior operating system. Your statement that Windows is better than everything else is nothing more than an opinion.

I can play a good number of games under Linux. Two of my favorite games have Linux ports and one of them actually runs a hell of a lot better under Linux compared to XP or Vista.

I have official drivers for my onboard ATI video on one system and official nVidia drivers on my main system with a 7600GT. I get those drivers directly from the ATI and nVidia websites. I also don't have any trouble with any of my other hardware. I haven't tried any really old hardware but so far everything I've connected to my Linux boxen has worked just fine.

How is Linux inadequate for today's needs? It plays the games I want to play either natively or through a compatibility layer. There are only two Windows apps I even run through Wine. The first is utorrent because I have yet to find a better torrent program on either Windows or Linux (and utorrent actually advertises the fact that it works fine under Wine) and Foobar2000. I've been using Foobar for years and it does everything I want for an audio player and it does it well. I have yet to find an application on Linux or Windows that works as well for my uses. As for any other apps, I find that I can do anything under Linux that I can with Windows. I might have to do a little bit of searching to find the application I want, but that's expected. I have libraries of knowledge stored in regards to Windows for how long I used it. I've been using Linux on a regular basis as a desktop OS for less than a year. It's going to take me a little longer to find what I'm looking for as I don't have as much experience.

Basically, Windows is not the end all be all of OSes. It lacks in just as many areas as it shines in. If that's what you want to use, I don't care. However, it's not a good idea to try to trash OSes you obviously know nothing about.

MS deserves recognition for much of what the company has done but it's neither an angel of a business nor perfect. Many of the products currently labeled as MS are just products that MS purchased either to stop competition or to have a product that could compete with someone else's product. I'm not going to say that's necessarily bad, but I don't see MS as a huge innovator. I just see MS as a company with smart business practices when it comes to making a profit.

 
Not everyone is able or has time to build their own computer. Some people (especially businesses) need the support that buying a Pre-built offers.

what needs? Be specific.


You really shouldn't partake in discussion you obviously know so little about.

I'm not a Linux nut, I use Windows every day and rarely touch a Linux box in person. But I'm not going to discredit it as an OS though because it has some very strong points. Is it a mainstream desktop OS, by no means. But that doesn't make it a worthless OS.

If you can't build your own machine then you FOR SURE need Windows. Also the needs of a growing business require professional applications on machines that are reliable and dependable. Linux doesn't have anything as far as professionally coded applications go and while they may maintain a good uptime (Whoopie doo doesn't do anything for people with laptops) they lack the former, which makes it useless. Maybe businesses use proprietary applications that are coded specifically for Windows. And baseline functionality for hardware is not good enough. I know I enjoy having full DX10 compatibility with my 8800GTX in Windows Vista. And windows emulation through wine is clunky, slow and far too much of a hassle when in Windows you can just use the applications and don't have to worry about any errors that you get.
 
Back
Top