• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Microsoft DirectX 11 Screenshots

This certainly shows potential. Now, if it will be implemented in a non-resource hungry way, I'd be extremely impressed.
 
I'm still more impressed by this and the girl at 6:11 in this clip. Once we have enough capacity to render things at lifelike fidelity, the trick to making things believable will be animations. It also goes a long way towards making things lifelike even at lower fidelity.
 
I'm almost positive those are fake. that heath ledger was created with zbrush and is pre-rendered. have a look...

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=63019&page=6&pp=15

i think i've seen the others on other 3d graphics forums, but can't be positive. maybe it'll look this good, but I wouldn't go by those images

:O
....

And wow those are so amazing.. I can't believe it's done with a graphics program. If I could change one thing in my life it would be to transfer my computer skills into THAT :eek:

Coolest thing I've seen in a long long time
 
People need a bit of perspective on things.

DirectX is an API which is designed to support graphics over many generations of video card hardware, screenshots like these are examples of what can be done with the API, you guys need to stop assuming this is the sort of thing we'll immediately see upon release, thats just not how it works at all.

DX11 will probably be released with no hardware support what so ever, the first round of video cards to officially support DX11 will run most of the features so slowly that it will be next to useless outside of specific tech demos. After a minimum of about a year we'll start to see games that actually use DX11 features although probably only a tiny fraction of the effects will use DX11 specific techniques, a year or so later cards will become mainstream and games will start to support it more, it could be up to another year or so before it becomes standard to use it in games and probably another year before its min requirements, for years after that it will be improved upon to push the limits of the technology.

You're missing a key point there. The days of Direct X are not far from the end, as GPUs get more and more programmable. There's just no need to use a dedicated and proprietary API, when we can just program everything directly into the GPU. Obviously this won't happen from one day to another, but it will happen.
 
Why is MS (and most any other game developer out there) shoving all their resources in to consoles like the XBox? One of the biggest reasons is because of the 2000lb. gorilla that is piracy on the PC, and company shareholders and publishers pushing the issue because of media hype. Any fucktard can download BitTorrent and pirate a game for Windows, crack it, and go. Doing the same on a console is a lot more involved. First, you have to hunt down a mod chip online, and then tear apart your console and solder it in place - most people either don't have the skill and equipment, or they just don't want to go through the extreme hassle and risk bricking their hardware or getting hit with the banhammer from MS themselves, again, bricking their console.

It kills me to have to say it, but pretty much every developer out there is either developing multiplatform titles or even once PC focused devs are abandoning PC development all together (I'm pointing at YOU Epic Games).

Like it or not, consoles are where the big f'ing money is at, and in the land of capitalism, that's where you go or your buisness will die.

LOL, bringing piracy to this discussion is very funny, especially since it's not the big reason why developers are shifting interests to consoles.
Developers are shifting interests to consoles, simply because consoles appeal to a wider audience, since they are more accessible than having a decent PC and thus provide a higher source of income, regardless of how much piracy there is on the PC. There could be 0 piracy on the PC, that the consoles would still yield more profits than the PC.

With that out of the way, you missed my point. And that point was simple. If MS is focused on the Xbox, which doesn't and won't support DX11, MS is also not giving developers many reasons to adopt it, much like it didn't give developers reasons to adopt DX10. And in a day where GPUs are highly programmable WITHOUT third party APIs, MS really needs to focus on giving developers reasons to keep using DX or they WILL lose one of their "milk cows" eventually.
 
Microsoft lost all credibility with DX10. "Games will run twice as good with more effects under DX10, you won't believe how real things look" Blah, blah. All we got were failed implementations and unkept promises. 2 years later and games are still being made in DX9 and any game that also runs in DX10 runs 20% slower and looks marginally better at best. MS = FAIL. Next.
 
Microsoft lost all credibility with DX10. "Games will run twice as good with more effects under DX10, you won't believe how real things look" Blah, blah. All we got were failed implementations and unkept promises. 2 years later and games are still being made in DX9 and any game that also runs in DX10 runs 20% slower and looks marginally better at best. MS = FAIL. Next.

Scarily i think you actually believe microsoft is to blame, when in doubt blame X evil company.
 
well here are the main things about this direct x apis. It is mostly for developers to use features easier. The direct x api might be more optimized and output fast code in newer versions but still the main thing is hardware.
 
Software always takes the better part of two years to catch up to the hardware. You all been living under a rock?

Explain Crysis. When the game came out it 07, hardware at the time could not run with graphic settings on "very high" and maintaining 30fps using 1650x1080 and up resolution. Even current hardware still has problems (depending on resolution).

I stated this because you said "software always".
 
They'd get a better following if people stopped using XP. It's dated, nearly unsupported, and is a thing of the past. Grow up and move on.

That's exactly what I said in my last post. People are caught up in a proverbial feeding frenzy to knock Vista, many of which have never used it and actually got hands on time with it. I'll never go back to XP...
 
Very true, you'd be surprised how many people I talk to that are only buying a Mac because they're under the impression that Vista is some horrible mess.
 
Agreed, prolly look alittle less than that. Example - Crysis.

Keep in mind that Crysis was designed for SM2.0, aka the DirectX 9 codepath. They just used DX10 to throw in nifty little enhancements at a HUGE performance drop. We've yet to see a game that uses the DX10 codepath to develop its intended user experience.

You're missing a key point there. The days of Direct X are not far from the end, as GPUs get more and more programmable. There's just no need to use a dedicated and proprietary API, when we can just program everything directly into the GPU. Obviously this won't happen from one day to another, but it will happen.

How much is Intel paying you?
 
:O
....

And wow those are so amazing.. I can't believe it's done with a graphics program. If I could change one thing in my life it would be to transfer my computer skills into THAT :eek:

Coolest thing I've seen in a long long time

Heh funny find. This is 'busted' basically. I do similar work (not character design, but use same applications, zbrush/mudbox/3dmax etc. etc.) and basically anyone with adequate skill can create images like this. Directx 11 has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Show me a demo with that level of detail running around in a REAL TIME engine and I might be impressed.

Tbqfh I don't know why they'd even use this image for promo, given that its a still render there's nothing here that can't be done in dx9, period.
 
Very true, you'd be surprised how many people I talk to that are only buying a Mac because they're under the impression that Vista is some horrible mess.

Amazing what word of mouth and Apple commercials will do to guide the sheeple...
 
Heh funny find. This is 'busted' basically. I do similar work (not character design, but use same applications, zbrush/mudbox/3dmax etc. etc.) and basically anyone with adequate skill can create images like this. Directx 11 has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Show me a demo with that level of detail running around in a REAL TIME engine and I might be impressed.

Tbqfh I don't know why they'd even use this image for promo, given that its a still render there's nothing here that can't be done in dx9, period.

Sorry I'm going OT, but how hard is it to learn to design using those programs? I've got a huge urge to get Blender tonight and learn some tutorials, but I remember trying a couple of times and there was just too much to learn!
 
I doubt we will ever see that sort of detail in a game with in 10 years, those are super high rez and zoomed in screen shots.

Who wants to play a game at super high rez stairing at ledger's face? I know most of the games I play are zoomed out and couldn't care less if the guy i just shot really shows a bullet hole through his head.

If games can come within even 25% of that ledger screen shot I'll be just as happy.

I do agree, such detail becomes redundant in actual gameplay

But I don't think its impossible to have such detail in 10 years time. Only 10 years ago, we had cards like TNT2 and Vodoo 3000, we're shooting blocky aliens and men. Compare that to Crysis today, its scary to think what we can do in the next 10 years:p
 
Sorry I'm going OT, but how hard is it to learn to design using those programs? I've got a huge urge to get Blender tonight and learn some tutorials, but I remember trying a couple of times and there was just too much to learn!

Well, it's definately not something that gets picked up over the weekend. but let me say this, knowing how to use an app. won't make you a good designer / artist. Work on the foundation skills first if you don't already have them (practice drawing basically). That said, esp. given that blender is free just go for it. Sure there's a lot to learn but we all have to start somewhere. It's quite safe to say that most people in the biz are self taught anyway, it's a very 'hard knocks' industry.
 
Hopefully these coincidences can run well above 30fps. Its easy to "render" a picture. Not so much real time movement.

yeah thats just it, all kidding aside you can make somethign as real as you want in CG. I mean think about it, name 1 modern movie that didnt use any CG? Sometimes you can point out with a great digree of obviousness whats rendered and whats not in a movie, but more often than not (at least in my case), you cant. I'm fooled regularly into thinking that something made of nothing more than bits is real. Take a look at some of the stuff thats been done with ray-tracing, you cant tell the difference between it and a real photo sometimes, its just that good, and those are semi-pro's.

The issue is, of course, can you do it on the fly?. When measuring the performance, we need it to be logical to measure in frames per second, not seconds per frame.
 
I feel like this is a joke because dx10 just came out not so long ago and it still isnt the main thing, this is just a joke
 
A joke huh.

DX10 is very different from any other that have been before as noted by the change in gfx card tech.

Even with dx8-9 being a simple progression, most games at the start didn't use dx9 but rather dx8 with a few dx9 features, it is only in the last, what, year that we have been seeing what dx9 can actually do and it has been out for years.

Now, if that was working with similar tech, then how long do you think till people make games with proper dx10 support that can make use of the new gfx card tech?

The joke is people expecting miracles. It is like what was said of the 8800 when it came out, shouldn't think of it as a dx10 card, more like a fast dx9 one, with the latest ATI and Nvidia the same can be basically said.
 
not true now that the core i7 is out the newest line of cards from ati and nvidia can actually get their full potential now. So its just always time before anything happens, you just cant sit around and hope and wait for dx10.1 or dx11 to happen.
 
I'm, sorry, but what does the new intel cpu's have to do with the lag time between an api release to games using the features made available to them?
 
To explain further, i was not meaning just that the gfx cards themselves can't do dx10 and that it was a hardware problem. I was meaning that it is the games that are not coded to take advantage of the hardware and that games are still very much dx9 in nature and that the new gfx cards are able to play them faster than ever before.

So again, what does intel new cpu's have to do with software?
 
Could still be better. His hair doesn't really look real, and his skin is way too shiny, as if he was dipped in some kind of lotion.

Yep, the model itself is fine but someone needs to go back to rendering 101, that looks like shit.
 
Sorry I'm going OT, but how hard is it to learn to design using those programs? I've got a huge urge to get Blender tonight and learn some tutorials, but I remember trying a couple of times and there was just too much to learn!

Get Zbrush or Mudbox (probably zbrush though since autodesk is satan), not blender. Zbrush is NOT 3d modeling but 3d sculpting, and 3d sculpting is a lot more fun for a hobbyist. You're probably not too concerned about learning efficient use of polygons.
 
One any direct x 10 graphics card is coded to run directx 10 games, and is backward compatible for directx 9, so the new intel core i7 reduces the bottleneck and increases performance and thus gives greater performance to the directx 10 cards.
 
One any direct x 10 graphics card is coded to run directx 10 games, and is backward compatible for directx 9, so the new intel core i7 reduces the bottleneck and increases performance and thus gives greater performance to the directx 10 cards.

wtf are you on about, it has nothing to do with my post or this topic really.

A gfx card is just hardware, it is not coded.

What bottleneck are you referring too?
 
If you had 4 gpus in working in quad crossfire and a single core processor you would have a bottleneck
 
Wtf does that have to do with anything???

Also, please explain where this bottleneck would be?
 
I do agree, such detail becomes redundant in actual gameplay

But I don't think its impossible to have such detail in 10 years time. Only 10 years ago, we had cards like TNT2 and Vodoo 3000, we're shooting blocky aliens and men. Compare that to Crysis today, its scary to think what we can do in the next 10 years:p

I think it would be irresponsible to assume that the detail increases of the last 10 years won't be matched or even surpassed by the next 10. Moore's Law is good till 2020.
 
Anyone else feel like that joker looks like it was portrayed by Brad Pitt rather than Heath Ledger?
 
remember the dx10 pics when it first came out?? actual dx10 games look nothing like them. especially that comparison pic of the same image rendered in dx9 and dx10. i wouldn't believe these pics until i saw them in an actual game...which will probably never happen.
 
Back
Top