Metro: Exodus

Just finished the game. I enjoyed the story, but was similarly disappointed in the AI. If you had Dead Space level AI/jump scares, this game could have been incredible. Oh well, still worth the price of admission IMO.

Anybody know where I can get a physical copy of this - or is it already too late???

Not sure, I ordered an aurora ltd edition, and it is still not shipping, something is going on here, the shop said it had been delayed, could have to do with the switch to the epic launcher.

Not sure, I ordered an aurora ltd edition, and it is still not shipping, something is going on here, the shop said it had been delayed, could have to do with the switch to the epic launcher.

LoL, it's taking time to paste all those Epic Games labels over the top of the Steam logos on the packages.

LoL, it's taking time to paste all those Epic Games labels over the top of the Steam logos on the packages.

Finally arrived this morning, now finding time to play between Wow, Destiny 2, Apex legends and Anthem.

Also no sticker on there, the code is on the manual and is marked as Epic sdtore so it seems they printed new manuals at least.

Just finished it. It was a totally enjoyable experience. The best of the series so far imo. The atmosphere, the lighting was some of the best I have seen in a game. I just became so immersed in the whole post apocalyptic world. Loved the open world aspect to some of the maps and the tight confines of the others. Just an all round great game.

Well I'm pissed. I'm stuck between to fences and it saved me there. Any ideas before I restart the chapter?

There's a short rock ledge I can't climb over and it may require following the storyline to get over it. I'm just exploring right now so does anyone know if you can drag or put objects that you can climb up on like barrels or anything? If a cutscene is required to get to the top of the ledge then I'm out of luck. But I thought I'd ask in case there's no cutscene involved.

There's a short rock ledge I can't climb over and it may require following the storyline to get over it. I'm just exploring right now so does anyone know if you can drag or put objects that you can climb up on like barrels or anything? If a cutscene is required to get to the top of the ledge then I'm out of luck. But I thought I'd ask in case there's no cutscene involved.

if you're talking about the Caspian Sea, there is part of the main mission with Damir you need to do and he will give you a lift up.

Yes in the Caspian map, thanks. I'll try to do that part with Damir separately, if not then I'll just keep going from where I am now which is in the extensive tunnels a few parts after the lighthouse section.

Yes in the Caspian map, thanks. I'll try to do that part with Damir separately, if not then I'll just keep going from where I am now which is in the extensive tunnels a few parts after the lighthouse section.

You still have a bit of a way to go before you meet up with him. Just keep doing the main mission.

So after spending around 9 hours exploring the Caspian Desert I died and reloaded my only save (playing on Ranger Hardcore), only to find out the game saved mid animation, which led to apparent corruption and now I can't use anything including guns, inventory, map, etc.
9 hours down the drain, the only way to fix it is to restart the entire chapter.
Back to playing Ace Combat 7 I guess.

Just finished at 41hrs.
What's up with a couple of the bandits always surrendering at the end of a massacre? Begging me not to kill them and saying I'm to good for them?
Motherfucker you know I'm going to off your ass for trying to take me out and plus I want your loot.

The spiders in the Dead City, with such intense radiation that your flash light doesn't work, nothing but your lighter and Molotov's to fry them bastards makes for a intense sphincter tightening experience.

Only one CTD and no game breaking bugs.
Rocking the CPY Edition = win/win for me.

Man I got the bad ending and was so pissed at the ending. Didn't know there's good ending as well. Although, there's not that much difference between the two except for
Artyom surviving but the scene is the same.

SLI WORKING FIX!

Just wanted to put this out there. Been playing this game for the last few weeks and almost 2 the end and found an awesome guy on Youtube who posted a video to get SLI working finally.

Wish I would have found it sooner, but followed his vid, and sure enough I can play 4k on extreme and my 1080 Ti's are working correctly and I can for the most part stay north of 60 FPS! No flickering or other issues I can see. The fix he found was disabling screen space reflections. Anyways, here's the link to the vid for any of you guys who run SLI and want to try it out!

The first major patch for the game is out today. It adds a host of new features including New Game + that includes a range of customization options to alter the experience. For PC further improvements of DLSS are included, along with performance improvements for ray tracing. Summary below.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/ranger-update

New Game +

On completion of the campaign, you can now re-play in New Game+ mode, granting access to all weapons and attachments unlocked through prior play-throughs.
New Game + also allows to you to adjust a range of variables to create your own personal and uniquely challenging experience, and comes with new Achievements / Trophies.

Developer Commentary
Available through New Game +, enabling Developer Commentary allows you to find special tape players on which members of the 4A Games team discuss some of the design choices that went into making Metro Exodus in that area.

Improved Controller Responsiveness
While the Hotfix changes were already well received, we’ve added a 4th Controller Sensitivity Preset with more tweaks to sensitivity, improved aim assist, and better ‘dead zone’ per platform.

Platform Specific Improvements and New Features
We’ve added Mouse and Keyboard support for Xbox One, further improved RTX and DLSS support on PC, Dual Shock Controller Light support for PS4 and many more.

General Performance, Balance and Gameplay optimisations
A raft of improvements across the board that improve the overall gameplay experience based on bugs reported, desired polish, and direct feedback/feature requests from the community, including things like a Volume Slider specifically for VO, and more.

Crash / Bug fixes and improvements
We’ve fixed numerous crashes – some from your descriptions, and some from the crash dumps you have submitted to us. We’ve only listed a few below, but you should expect a big improvement to stability in this update. Thank you for continuing to help us out!

Full Ukrainian localisation added
We’re proud to offer Metro Exodus fully localised for Ukraine, the country where 4A Games was born.

Nice...still slooowlly moving thru the first area with the feeling that a new patch was inbound. Looking forward to check out the new DLSS improvements with hopefully even less blurriness.

Lol.

Apparently if you have a Steam pre-order key for this game, they are going for a premium on G2A for people who really want to play it, but want it in steam.

I saw one at over $80 the other day.

Edit:

I forgot we could post news. I posted it here.

Last edited:
How would you even have a Steam pre-order key? Anyone who bought it there originally had the game added to the library automatically.
I guess if you bought a key for a friend maybe? idk.

How would you even have a Steam pre-order key? Anyone who bought it there originally had the game added to the library automatically.
I guess if you bought a key for a friend maybe? idk.

Not sure. Maybe some early shipments of physical brick and mortar units that still had the Steam key in them?

The first major patch for the game is out today. It adds a host of new features including New Game + that includes a range of customization options to alter the experience. For PC further improvements of DLSS are included, along with performance improvements for ray tracing. Summary below.

New Game +

On completion of the campaign, you can now re-play in New Game+ mode, granting access to all weapons and attachments unlocked through prior play-throughs.
New Game + also allows to you to adjust a range of variables to create your own personal and uniquely challenging experience, and comes with new Achievements / Trophies.

Developer Commentary
Available through New Game +, enabling Developer Commentary allows you to find special tape players on which members of the 4A Games team discuss some of the design choices that went into making Metro Exodus in that area.

While the Hotfix changes were already well received, we’ve added a 4th Controller Sensitivity Preset with more tweaks to sensitivity, improved aim assist, and better ‘dead zone’ per platform.

We’ve added Mouse and Keyboard support for Xbox One, further improved RTX and DLSS support on PC, Dual Shock Controller Light support for PS4 and many more.

A raft of improvements across the board that improve the overall gameplay experience based on bugs reported, desired polish, and direct feedback/feature requests from the community, including things like a Volume Slider specifically for VO, and more.

We’ve fixed numerous crashes – some from your descriptions, and some from the crash dumps you have submitted to us. We’ve only listed a few below, but you should expect a big improvement to stability in this update. Thank you for continuing to help us out!

We’re proud to offer Metro Exodus fully localised for Ukraine, the country where 4A Games was born.

I really loved using the crossbow. It will be cool being able to use it at the beginning of the game.

I just want to comment that I completed my EVGA Step up yesterday. I had a EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition and I stepped up to a RTX 2080 TI XC Gaming and the difference in performance is incredible. I'm getting north of 60fps with everything on Ultra settings @ 4K even with Ray Tracing on Max. This is an incredible experience.... was playing on 1440p before and would get frequent dips below 60 and even some into the 40s and 30s in some areas. Now it's nonexistent. Despite the price gouging this generation this level of performance is unreal.

Shout out to EVGA and their awesome customer service and Step Up program. They have secured a lifelong customer from me.

Last edited:
It's not. I just tried myself. When you enable DLSS with HDR the picture basically goes SDR. So at first glance it seems like it's working, but it's readily apparent once you jump in and can immediately tell it's not HDR and just the standard SDR picture.

If this was their 'fix' it's pretty shameful to be honest.

It's not. I just tried myself. When you enable DLSS with HDR the picture basically goes SDR. So at first glance it seems like it's working, but it's readily apparent once you jump in and can immediately tell it's not HDR and just the standard SDR picture.

If this was their 'fix' it's pretty shameful to be honest.
Damn, that is disappointing to hear. They should be called out for this on their social media.

Damn, that is disappointing to hear. They should be called out for this on their social media.
Not enough people have HDR monitors and RTX cards, honestly. It's just really lame because this is supposed to be the benchmark game for RTX features, and one is absolutely broken.

New Game +

Developer Commentary

Just saw the same over at DSOG and was about to post here. I had to scroll thru all the 'fixes' but about halfway down it stated DLSS and HDR fixed. Gonna go test now.

I replayed the first mission all the way thru the escape from Moscow. DLSS+HDR are definitely fixed! I was finally able to play it in 4k with all the bells & whistles. Kept RTX on high since as usual Ultra causes too much of a performance hit. Average 60fps most of the time with stock GPU settings. There were some definite drops into the low 50's and even high 40's on a couple of occasions and stock clocks ~1840-1980Mhz. At the section where you and Anna sneak in to steal the train I restarted the game, alt-tab breaks Atmos so had to do restart, and changed to my OC settings in AB. These usually will hold 2040-2100mhz. That extra oomph kept it mostly 60fps with dips ~55fps.

Really looking forward to replaying this now. Happy to say that with this and SOTTR we now we have 2 games with HDR, DXR, and Atmos checked off.

I replayed the first mission all the way thru the escape from Moscow. DLSS+HDR are definitely fixed! I was finally able to play it in 4k with all the bells & whistles. Kept RTX on high since as usual Ultra causes too much of a performance hit. Average 60fps most of the time with stock GPU settings. There were some definite drops into the low 50's and even high 40's on a couple of occasions and stock clocks ~1840-1980Mhz. At the section where you and Anna sneak in to steal the train I restarted the game, alt-tab breaks Atmos so had to do restart, and changed to my OC settings in AB. These usually will hold 2040-2100mhz. That extra oomph kept it mostly 60fps with dips ~55fps.

Really looking forward to replaying this now. Happy to say that with this and SOTTR we now we have 2 games with HDR, DXR, and Atmos checked off.

It’s definitely not fixed for me on a 2080ti. It just is showing the picture in sdr now instead of before. You might want to look closer and make sure. It’s pretty obvious when HDR is working for the sunlight and fire.

It’s definitely not fixed for me on a 2080ti. It just is showing the picture in sdr now instead of before. You might want to look closer and make sure. It’s pretty obvious when HDR is working for the sunlight and fire.

Not sure why it's not working for you. One of the ways I can confirm that HDR is enabled is that the AB overlays changes colors for HDR(deep red)/SDR(light orange) and it's absolutely red. Not sure if it matters but I'm using 419.67 driver with this. I'm on a different rig right now but I'd verify that your client updated also. I remember one of the first updates to Exodus didn't automatically update like it should on some of my rigs. It was pretty annoying since some took a day or so extra before the launcher acknowledged the update. I agree it is obvious when HDR is working the lack of washout on the blacks is amazing.

edit: I am using a 2080TI. It's a Strix 2080TI listed in my sig.

SLI WORKING FIX!

Just wanted to put this out there. Been playing this game for the last few weeks and almost 2 the end and found an awesome guy on Youtube who posted a video to get SLI working finally.

Wish I would have found it sooner, but followed his vid, and sure enough I can play 4k on extreme and my 1080 Ti's are working correctly and I can for the most part stay north of 60 FPS! No flickering or other issues I can see. The fix he found was disabling screen space reflections. Anyways, here's the link to the vid for any of you guys who run SLI and want to try it out!

Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure if it's the same vid I saw a few weeks ago on another thread but this one was pretty easy to follow. I've got an oddball laptop MSI GT80 Titan w/ 2x980m's in SLI and just did this. Can now mostly play in 1080p 60fps with it.

Not sure why it's not working for you. One of the ways I can confirm that HDR is enabled is that the AB overlays changes colors for HDR(deep red)/SDR(light orange) and it's absolutely red. Not sure if it matters but I'm using 419.67 driver with this. I'm on a different rig right now but I'd verify that your client updated also. I remember one of the first updates to Exodus didn't automatically update like it should on some of my rigs. It was pretty annoying since some took a day or so extra before the launcher acknowledged the update. I agree it is obvious when HDR is working the lack of washout on the blacks is amazing.

edit: I am using a 2080TI. It's a Strix 2080TI listed in my sig.

No man, it's absolutely not working correctly yet. The overlay being washed out is expected, as the game launches in HDR output. You'll see what I mean if you simply toggle DLSS in game. The colors get washed out and loose the contrast as if it's just SDR being pushed over when you enable DLSS.

It's not as broken as before, but it's still 100% broken because it isn't HDR.

So.... I just completed the game last night and I had a question about the ending...

So, was there an explanation for all the supernatural stuff at the end? The glowing orbs of light that would show up outside, the hallucinations of Anna, the people walking around the Metro... It seems like I just get back to the train and that's that. I thought for a couple moments that the aliens from the first game would show themselves again or something.

No man, it's absolutely not working correctly yet. The overlay being washed out is expected, as the game launches in HDR output. You'll see what I mean if you simply toggle DLSS in game. The colors get washed out and loose the contrast as if it's just SDR being pushed over when you enable DLSS.

It's not as broken as before, but it's still 100% broken because it isn't HDR.

I'll check it out this weekend as I'm starting a new play thru. I had toggled on/off from the menu in 4k for both hdr and dlss and hadn't noticed it do the washout effect/gamma jump like it did before. Sounds like your describing a placebo effect more like instead of actually engaging HDR. Instead it's countering it's own side effects from before. Honestly, the first time around I did a lot of testing with turning everything, including Windows HDR, on/off. I also tested in 1440p, 4k, 4096x2160. It had seemed like back then the game was somehow forcing it's own HDR sollution on top of Windows. Kind of reminded it you doubled up on filters on a video or picture. I'll let you know what I see after this weekend and who knows, maybe others will speak up on their experiences.

As we all know HDR in windows is a hot mess and each engine has it's own way of dealing with it. So far the two best games I've seen use it are RE2 and SOTTR. RE7 said it enabled it but other than the game I had a hard time confirming it and the same for MEA. I think BFV had it but I spent so much time testing RT/DLSS I can't remember if I checked it for HDR. To date, I think these are all the games I have that have it.

So.... I just completed the game last night and I had a question about the ending...

So, was there an explanation for all the supernatural stuff at the end? The glowing orbs of light that would show up outside, the hallucinations of Anna, the people walking around the Metro... It seems like I just get back to the train and that's that. I thought for a couple moments that the aliens from the first game would show themselves again or something.

Hadn't heard of this ending but I know there's multiple ones. I started a new play thru yesterday and on the train after it's left Moscow I wandered outside before clicking on the map to start the next mission. Firstly you can have a conversation with Anna's dad. Secondly a bunch of the guys are on the front of the train and one of them drifts onto tangents of random connections and how firing the missiles at the dark ones led to this moment. That was the most acknowledgement of the previous supernatural stuff I heard any of the characters mention so far. I was actually quite shocked I didn't notice anything about the dark ones in this game. Without giving too much away on my first play thru the only person I couldn't save was Duke and the final ending I got was more typical for the ending of a drama/war movie.

Hadn't heard of this ending but I know there's multiple ones. I started a new play thru yesterday and on the train after it's left Moscow I wandered outside before clicking on the map to start the next mission. Firstly you can have a conversation with Anna's dad. Secondly a bunch of the guys are on the front of the train and one of them drifts onto tangents of random connections and how firing the missiles at the dark ones led to this moment. That was the most acknowledgement of the previous supernatural stuff I heard any of the characters mention so far. I was actually quite shocked I didn't notice anything about the dark ones in this game. Without giving too much away on my first play thru the only person I couldn't save was Duke and the final ending I got was more typical for the ending of a drama/war movie.

So there was definitely no direct mention of the Dark Ones. However, near to the end of the game when you are in that frozen city looking for the cure for Anna there are a bunch of weird things happening... i'd be going through a building and a large bright light would be outside shining through the windows and everything the light would hit would start levitating in space like as if gravity was turned off. Then, Artyom would have a bunch of hallucinations of Anna throughout that whole chapter/section, and then the part in the subway/metro where there are dark silhouettes of people from perhaps of a vision of the bustling of the area from before the war. Also, Artyom regularly has headaches right before something weird happens. ... And then the end for me was Miller dying on the car ride back to the train, and then I pass out once I am brought on the train and I am dreaming of basically a beautiful landscape and Miller is in the dream telling me I need to go back to Anna and take care of her and you look to the left and she is reaching out for you from the dark but then you look back behind you and you see Miller in a beautiful landscape where you end up anyway. Nobody else in my group died I don't think but I can't remember. There are only two endings and it appears as though I got the good ending (I just read what happens in both), but that doesn't matter to my question... I just am confused by all the supernatural stuff. I was thinking just now that maybe the hallucinations were from the large amount of radiation, but the points of light definitely were not a illusion as I saw that at the beginning of the game in the open section of the Volga and another area... but those lights were electric where this was pure light so there is definitely a difference.

So there was definitely no direct mention of the Dark Ones. However, near to the end of the game when you are in that frozen city looking for the cure for Anna there are a bunch of weird things happening... i'd be going through a building and a large bright light would be outside shining through the windows and everything the light would hit would start levitating in space like as if gravity was turned off. Then, Artyom would have a bunch of hallucinations of Anna throughout that whole chapter/section, and then the part in the subway/metro where there are dark silhouettes of people from perhaps of a vision of the bustling of the area from before the war. Also, Artyom regularly has headaches right before something weird happens. ... And then the end for me was Miller dying on the car ride back to the train, and then I pass out once I am brought on the train and I am dreaming of basically a beautiful landscape and Miller is in the dream telling me I need to go back to Anna and take care of her and you look to the left and she is reaching out for you from the dark but then you look back behind you and you see Miller in a beautiful landscape where you end up anyway. Nobody else in my group died I don't think but I can't remember. There are only two endings and it appears as though I got the good ending (I just read what happens in both), but that doesn't matter to my question... I just am confused by all the supernatural stuff. I was thinking just now that maybe the hallucinations were from the large amount of radiation, but the points of light definitely were not a illusion as I saw that at the beginning of the game in the open section of the Volga and another area... but those lights were electric where this was pure light so there is definitely a difference.

I experienced the same. There were a couple repeats of similar supernatural activity in other parts of this game too. I haven't read the books but I have read reviews that explain the 2nd game very much diverges from them. It seems like with this entry the dev's weren't quite sure which points they were going to commit to.

I just finished my first playthrough last night. Ran through pretty quick in less than 2 weeks (ME:A took me several months for contrast), left fully exploring the open areas to another go. Overall really good and reminded me of good parts of Half-Life 2 and the STALKER series. Loved the environments and combat, main story was just OK I thought but the excellent worldbuilding filled it out.

With max everything, high RTX, and 2715x1527 resolution (stuck on v.1.0.0 so 2x DSR with DLSS OFF is sharper than 4x DSR and DLSS ON) ran OK at 48hz VSYNC -not quite locked but close- but sometimes I got a lot of stuttering... Could be a lot of things causing that especially with unpatched version) apparently :confused:
R5 1600 @ stock
16GB 2666
RTX 2080 @ ~1995-2045 core / 8000 mem
when you-know-who has v. 1.0.3 available I'll try and get good 2160P settings and play through again taking more time. Big thumbs up

Back