Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake

Mixed reviews
$70 price tag (plus tax! :rolleyes: ) is probably not helping much. I sure as hell will never even consider spending that much on a game. I very rarely will spend $60, if it's something I'm really interested in and/or really need something to play at the moment.
 
Someone post an FPS cap removal mod if one becomes available.
I heard you can edit the config file to get 120 fps but then the game runs in slow motion. Which means they somehow tied gameplay logic to the frame rate and unlikely it's going to be modded out. They really didn't know what they were doing when they made this game.
 
No sprint button in is painful, Snake runs so damn slow. The linearity makes it a bit more bearable though. Also, I can't believe we still have to deal with loading transitions between areas, especially considering how tiny the areas are. This is definitely a wait for sale kind of game IMO. There's no excuse for charging $70 when it's still using 20 year old PS2 code under the hood.
 
Are the loading transitions like Half Life 2 where you walk and there is an invisible wall that pauses the game to load something? Or is it more like loading another level when you pass into another area like say, Splinter Cell?
 
Are the loading transitions like Half Life 2 where you walk and there is an invisible wall that pauses the game to load something? Or is it more like loading another level when you pass into another area like say, Splinter Cell?

As you near a transition point, it goes into a cinematic view with letterboxing and the game takes control away from you as Snake automatically runs into the next area. During this, the screen fades to black with a title of the next area. Here's an example:


View: https://youtu.be/OQOB8iHOM70?t=1828
 
Ultra wide & frame rate cap fix:

https://codeberg.org/Lyall/MGSDeltaFix/releases

If someone wants to try it and see how it works, let us know.

Tried it. Appears to work well in my limited testing. But the game struggles to maintain 60 fps anyway on a 4090 so I'm not sure how useful it will actually be. Nice and smooth when staring straight down at the ground though.

Potential downside, I noticed the LAT value on the nvidia performance overlay double from 30ms (no mod) to 60ms (mod). It didn't seem to double consistently across the board though. For example, in a more detailed area I've seen the LAT spike to 70ms regardless of whether or not the mod is installed.
 
So much for not interfering with Kojima's work.
They removed EVA's jiggle physics...

https://xcancel.com/Mangalawyer/status/1960450461863174591
https://x.com/Mangalawyer/status/1960450461863174591

1000003826.jpg



 
They decided to keep the loading screens because they didn't want to be seen as "interfering" with Kojima's work. They were afraid of fan backlash? WTF?

https://www.videogamer.com/news/konami-gated-areas-metal-gear-solid-delta/
If you're going to change the core gameplay to be an over-the-shoulder third-person action game, removing loading screens seems like a pretty minor QOL change.

BTW, I "demoed" this game and it feels absolutely awful to play on PC. 60 FPS frame cap sucks and the performance is shit even despite that. No reason anyone should be paying for this in this state, let alone $70.
 
Konami curse strike again

Call me when GOTY edition is $5 with all patches included
Same. I can't believe they're charging $70 for this. Imo, I'd say $50 would be a more appropriate launch price, but even then meh...def wait for sale and patches
 
Does this game offer a first person option?
I saw some screenshots showing first person gun animation
 
As you near a transition point, it goes into a cinematic view with letterboxing and the game takes control away from you as Snake automatically runs into the next area. During this, the screen fades to black with a title of the next area. Here's an example:


View: https://youtu.be/OQOB8iHOM70?t=1828

The entire game is only 8.5 hours long? It has ~4 hours worth of cut scenes according to a quick Google search. Hard pass on this one.
 
Time and time again, when I don't preorder a game, I often forget the game even exists. And too often, I don't even purchase the game until months, even years down the road. Still haven't purchased STALKER 2 and many other games after they were released...

no preorders.jpg
 
Tried it. Appears to work well in my limited testing. But the game struggles to maintain 60 fps anyway on a 4090 so I'm not sure how useful it will actually be. Nice and smooth when staring straight down at the ground though.

Potential downside, I noticed the LAT value on the nvidia performance overlay double from 30ms (no mod) to 60ms (mod). It didn't seem to double consistently across the board though. For example, in a more detailed area I've seen the LAT spike to 70ms regardless of whether or not the mod is installed.

What resolution, 4K? I tried it though the mod does not seem to work. Put the files in MGSDelta\Binaries\Win64.

Seems like there may be some issues with the mod though.

Also, when you select the question at the start (I selected MGS2) does that change your character's look? Because Snake looks like Liquid Snake (blonde hair guy) for me.

Edit: After placing the files in the directory above, open:

MGSDeltaFix.ini

And put true instead of false:

[Uncap Framerate]
; Disables 60fps framerate cap.
; Note that uncapping the framerate is currently untested and may cause issues.
Enabled = true

With DLSS Quality at 1440, the intro area gives me a 75-85 frame rates. Even Black Myth gave me something like 120+ frame rates without ray tracing.
 
Last edited:
I just noticed there's a $15 day 1 dlc that is basically some skins. Lmao, they smokin' some stewpid over there at Konami HQ. Who's buying this shit?
 
So far the game runs smooth at 4K/Ultra/DLSS-Q, am about to do The End fight. I use legacy cam, so it's probably the modern camera that people are complaining about performance.
 
Controls and camera angle are atrocious. I am using the modern camera style, but it is just horrific. You can't peak around corners or anything which kind of makes 3rd person entirely useless. This is typically what your camera angle looks like. Notice the character is only showing a tiny bit in the far left. By the time your camera catches up to the character, he is already around the corner and spotted.

Metal Gear Solid Delta  Snake Eater Screenshot 2025.08.28 - 13.09.20.75.png

Equipping things is just horrific, most things require 3 or so presses to use. Even turning around or walking through a door is near impossible, Snake has a 3-4 foot radius to turn so often you just can't turn right into a door, you have to turn around, re-align a few times, and then walk straight through it. Which is horrible in most games, even worse in a game about quickly evading enemies. The result is you're typically spotted before the camera shows where your character is or your character can't walk through a door or around an obstacle to hide. I know the older MGS games are known for horrible controls but this is just unplayable, unless you want to hold down the trigger with your AK.

Performance is bad, but that is the least of my concerns after putting a few hours into it.

For the FPS fix mod, it will cause some issues. There is a cutscene with a scientist that finishes and results in you being stuck in their door. Camera will focus on a door and you can't do anything. Quit the game, remove mod files, reload, walk through door. Save. Quite, reload game and put mod files back. That will get you through it. Apparently the Ocelot fight is sped up as well. Was wondering why he moved so quickly. There might be some other issues to.

IMO wait for the FPS mod to fix more things. But the control scheme will never get fixed without a massive mod overhaul, and that is the biggest issue.
 
Yeah, I watched Mack's review earlier and he was complaining about the controls/equip menus also. I never played the original. Is that something new to this remake, or a carryover from the PS2 game? I can see how it would have been more acceptable back in the day on a controller with far fewer buttons, but seems like that's something that could have been streamlined for a modern remake. Or if they insisted on bringing it over from the original version for true-ness/nostalgia's sake, then at least have options for modern & classic menus and controls or something.

The consensus seems to be that it's still a very good game at its core, but the price is just too high considering the game's relatively short length and the current issues it has. I've seen a lot of folks balking at these $70 and $80 prices, so hopefully we see somewhat of a pullback there and not just the axing of any project that's not a flagship or "safe" IP.
 
Yeah, I watched Mack's review earlier and he was complaining about the controls/equip menus also. I never played the original. Is that something new to this remake, or a carryover from the PS2 game? I can see how it would have been more acceptable back in the day on a controller with far fewer buttons, but seems like that's something that could have been streamlined for a modern remake. Or if they insisted on bringing it over from the original version for true-ness/nostalgia's sake, then at least have options for modern & classic menus and controls or something.
I watched his review earier myself, my thought was he must've never played an MGS game before🤷‍♂️. That's the way the controls have been ever since the original on PS1, and iirc the game would pause when you were scrolling through the inventory anyway, so I don't really see this as an issue. I'd imagine you'd just hold a key and then use mouse wheel on PC???
 
I watched his review earier myself, my thought was he must've never played an MGS game before🤷‍♂️. That's the way the controls have been ever since the original on PS1, and iirc the game would pause when you were scrolling through the inventory anyway, so I don't really see this as an issue. I'd imagine you'd just hold a key and then use mouse wheel on PC???

M to open the map would be nice, instead of going to a pause menu, then moving a cursor over to the the Map section. Lots of things like this are just dated and extremely poorly done.

As a stealth game it is awful. I don't really consider it to be a stealth game. It always turns into a guns blazing type of situation because all of the stealth tools are entirely impractical, except firearm suppressors. If you want to equip a tool it will not be done fast enough. Things like the CQC for interrogation are worthless. The enemy has to be 100% still, you need to be standing, not moving, 100% perfectly aligned behind them. You can't be off to the side slightly. You'd have to hope an enemy soldier walks, stops and stands still for 5+ seconds, so you can slow walk up to them, align (almost impossible with the camera/controls), then stand, and then execute. The problem is by the time you align another soldier spots you, or the enemy soldier you're behind makes a slight movement ruining your perfect alignment. So you'd have to slow walk away, slow walk back, stand up again, etc. Can't it be done in theory? Yes, I've done it once. But its practically impossible.

Even the non-lethal weapons are pointless because you need to get so close to effect someone that they spot you, and telepathically alert everyone on the map. The dialogue doesn't even match. I was at a section where they mentioned people indoors won't have radios, so I equipped a scientist uniform, opened a door, and a scientist immediately IDed me and my pen-silence thing couldn't put them to sleep... because you need to be within arms distance from them. Essentially roll of the dice, if someone is behind a door, you'll be auto detected. About the bit with radios, the dialogue doesn't make sense, because once they see you from the corner of their eye (or before your camera shows them) everyone in the area is automatically alerted. I thought they didn't have radios?

You can't say it is an old game either. Splinter Cell Chaos Theory came out around a year later, and you could do 10 times the amount of things this game offers with regards to stealth. Map design is superior, controls are superior, take down and interrogations are feasible. This plays like a bad 3rd person shooter, emphasis on bad for a 3rd person shooter which are inherently bad.

I don't really see why people like this game. Nostalgia for MGS1/2? Or were those as poorly done as this? Because this is a legitimately bad game. Almost like there was zero concept of what they wanted to do and threw some slop together as a poor imitation of the James Bond games of the era. 5/10 game at best.

Also so of the bosses are laughably easy. As in their cutscenes are longer than their fight. I just emptied an M16 into a boss who was jumping around like a monkey and killed him in around 2 minutes or less.
 
I don't really see why people like this game. Nostalgia for MGS1/2? Or were those as poorly done as this? Because this is a legitimately bad game. Almost like there was zero concept of what they wanted to do and threw some slop together as a poor imitation of the James Bond games of the era. 5/10 game at best.
It's because it's Kojima man and he's like the most visionary game dev/director out there and all that bullshit. I personally always thought he was a little overrated ttytt. Not that I didn't have fun with MGS 1 and 2 back in the day. I never played 3 so really why I'm interested in the first place. I hear what you're saying and would tend to take your word for it.
 
engine.ini

Hardware Lumen [SystemSettings]:
r.Lumen.HardwareRayTracing=1
r.Lumen.Reflections.HardwareRayTracing=1
r.Lumen.ScreenProbeGather.HardwareRayTracing=1
r.LumenScene.DirectLighting.HardwareRayTracing=1

Ray Reconstruction [SystemSettings] (also add "nvngx_dlssd.dll" file to "MGSDelta\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\nvidia\DLSS\Binaries\ThirdParty\Win64":
r.NGX.DLSS.denoisermode=1

Frame Generation [SystemSettings]:
r.Streamline.DLSSG.Enable=1

Reflex [SystemSettings]:
t.Streamline.Reflex.Enable=1
t.Streamline.Reflex.Mode=1

DLSS/FG Quality Improvement [SystemSettings]:
r.Streamline.DilateMotionVectors=1
r.NGX.DLSS.AutoExposure=1

Personally I'm using Hardware Lumen and Reflex, with DLSS at 0.833 scaling on my 5090, no issues, looks and plays great.

DLSS Swapper should look like (if using Ray Reconstruction):
1756651598557.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I"m a huge MGS fan and was planning on getting this day 1. But I def can't support games in such a poor state like this at launch. No ultrawide support, 60 FPS lock or broken game functions if you unlock it, sub-par performance on all platforms = no buy. Mods are a nice option, but they should only be optional and not required to get standard features. And I urge everyone to not buy games launching like this so publishers finally get the message they can't put garbage out and expect profit just because the game is part of a beloved series.

In the current state, this is a $30 game at best and I won't even consider buying until it's under that and/or they update the game with standard features and better performance.
 
Last edited:
I"m a huge MGS fan and was planning on getting this day 1. But I def can't support games in such a poor state like this at launch. No ultrawide support, 60 FPS lock or broken game functions if you unlock it, sub-par performance on all platforms = no buy. Mods are a nice option, but they should only be optional and not required to get standard features. And I urge everyone to not buy games launching like this so publishers finally get the message they can't put garbage out and expect profit just because the game is part of a beloved series.

In the current state, this is a $30 game at best and I won't even consider buying until it's under that and/or they update the game with standard features and better performance.

I wondering if the FPS mod messes with grabbing people. The game was so short I ended up just finishing it, but I would recommend to wait for a few patches or for the FPS mod to make improvements. There is one door that will not open with the FPS unlocked, the new version of the mod allows you to instantly toggle it on/off without restarting the game to get around it.

Took me around 13 hours.
 
Back
Top