• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake

Fanatical is offering a 25% discount for pre-ordering if anyone's interested, but I know the rule...

$69.99 $52.49 for Standard
$79.99 $59.99 for Digital Deluxe

Lol, one of the pre-order bonuses is a white tuxedo uniform...that is also obtainable through in-game progress. You'd think they could at least offer something unique.

As far as the actual game goes, I know there are some folks who are excited about this. I bet it's going to be pretty good. It may take some patches to refine some rough edges though, if the previous MGS PC games were anything to go by. Guess we will see.
 
Fanatical is offering a 25% discount for pre-ordering if anyone's interested, but I know the rule...

$69.99 $52.49 for Standard
$79.99 $59.99 for Digital Deluxe

Lol, one of the pre-order bonuses is a white tuxedo uniform...that is also obtainable through in-game progress. You'd think they could at least offer something unique.

As far as the actual game goes, I know there are some folks who are excited about this. I bet it's going to be pretty good. It may take some patches to refine some rough edges though, if the previous MGS PC games were anything to go by. Guess we will see.
Don't know whether to laugh or cry at the fact that a 25% discount makes the price only marginally cheaper than what RRP used to be.
 
So I never played this - worth indulging? I wasn’t a fan of MGS V with constant missions etc which felt similar all the time and a lot of busy work. This a linear experience like MGS2?
 
I'll end up trying this but 3 was my least favorite out of the first 3 games.
 
Reviews are looking great so far

Surprised they pulled it off

Is it going to be a stutter fest on PC is my big question
 
Skimmed some reviews. Apparently some hitching in cutscenes according to Gamespot. Skimmed over the review and could not figure out what platform they were on. I fear the PC version will have performance issues. UE5 + a developer not known for great ports seems like we may see some issues.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
So I never played this - worth indulging? I wasn’t a fan of MGS V with constant missions etc which felt similar all the time and a lot of busy work. This a linear experience like MGS2?
Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. Its linear. And after the first chapter, hits an extended groove of amazing setpieces and detailed gameplay.

Some of the boss fights are all-timers. And overall, the collection of bossfights is very good.

The newer style 3rd person camera de-emphasizes the need for recon work. And will allow you to be faster and may make some of the gameplay features feel a bit extraneous, rather than essential. Such is an issue with remakes/revisions. You can instantly switch to the old camera. But I dont think many will stick with it.

If you are willing to experiment anyhow, the game has a lot of interesting things/scenarios/gameplay possibilities to find "under the surface".

The original E3 video is brilliant. Because, this is all actual gameplay you can do. Just framed with more cinematic camera angles, to make an E3 video.


View: https://youtu.be/hXUono66wxI?si=oTDX2dyrsudUh0I4
 
Last edited:
Reading about 60 frame rate cap and no wide screen support. In 2025, that is just inexcusable. Especially for a UE5 game, I'm not sure why a UE5 game would require such limitations. Hope there is a day 1 patch. If not, hopefully a mod can at least remove the frame rate cap.
 
Reading about 60 frame rate cap and no wide screen support. In 2025, that is just inexcusable. Especially for a UE5 game, I'm not sure why a UE5 game would require such limitations. Hope there is a day 1 patch. If not, hopefully a mod can at least remove the frame rate cap.

I would be shocked if this isn't modded literally day 1.
 
Reading about 60 frame rate cap and no wide screen support. In 2025, that is just inexcusable. Especially for a UE5 game, I'm not sure why a UE5 game would require such limitations. Hope there is a day 1 patch. If not, hopefully a mod can at least remove the frame rate cap.
It has to do with the original engines gameplay logic since UE5 is just handling the rendering and audio.
 
Kid at work was waiting for this game for a few months. Not sure if its worth the wait.
 
I loved the original game when it came out and played through it a few times over the years, but not sure I would want to pay full price for a remake. My understanding is that it is a lot of the same experience as playing the original, just much updated graphics. I already have the original and the master collection versions so I will probably wait for a massive sale before considering getting this one.

MGS and MGS 2 where the ones I fired up right away from the master collection as I hadn't played those in 2 decades. IIRC I played through the HD collection version of MGS 3 and felt it was good, but the experience was much more special when it originally came out. Games have moved on quite a bit since then and the MGS games feels dated, even if the core gameplay is still fun.
 
  • Like
Reactions: horse
like this
It has to do with the original engines gameplay logic since UE5 is just handling the rendering and audio.

Does it? I thought it was a complete remake. I know a lot of work goes into this regardless, but $70 seems a bit high if they're reusing systems from the old game and just upgrading the visuals. So this is more like the recent Oblivion remake than a proper remake?
 
Does it? I thought it was a complete remake. I know a lot of work goes into this regardless, but $70 seems a bit high if they're reusing systems from the old game and just upgrading the visuals. So this is more like the recent Oblivion remake than a proper remake?
It's Konami. The people who stopped making games to double down in gambling machines.

Now their investors are wondering why they aren't making Fortnite money so they're reluctantly making games again.


Silent Hill 2 remake was a fluke, it seems.
 
Does it? I thought it was a complete remake. I know a lot of work goes into this regardless, but $70 seems a bit high if they're reusing systems from the old game and just upgrading the visuals. So this is more like the recent Oblivion remake than a proper remake?
Many/most of the animations and all voicework, are original.

They did update some animations. Such as some of the CQC. They added better crouch walking. Some extra crawling/prone options. Etc.
 
I mean it's probably just an Unreal console variable at the end of the day. I don't see it being rocket surgery.

Might be as simple as using that tool that unlocks the console and "t.MaxFps 0"
Physics, scripting, and AI are probably tied to the frame rate.
 
Physics, scripting, and AI are probably tied to the frame rate.

This is what I am worried about. If it is reusing this much from the original, it is more of a remaster instead of a remake. A very detailed remaster, but still, a remaster. I assumed they were rebuilding everything to run in UE5. Seems like it is mostly just the graphics, textures/3D models and animations. Seemingly some of the animations still look a bit stiff as I assume they're still using some older animation under the hood and didn't rebuild the animation system from scratch.
 
Does it? I thought it was a complete remake. I know a lot of work goes into this regardless, but $70 seems a bit high if they're reusing systems from the old game and just upgrading the visuals. So this is more like the recent Oblivion remake than a proper remake?
I was incorrect on my previous post. The game is a full remake in UE5. I read some more into it and found that the animations, specifically the mo-cap data were 30 fps, so the best they could do was interpolate them to 60 fps. If I were to guess the game would probably play fine if we unlocked the framerate but the animations will probably be limited to interpolated 60. The animations might not be perfectly smooth even at 60 fps, we'll have to see.
 
I was incorrect on my previous post. The game is a full remake in UE5. I read some more into it and found that the animations, specifically the mo-cap data were 30 fps, so the best they could do was interpolate them to 60 fps. If I were to guess the game would probably play fine if we unlocked the framerate but the animations will probably be limited to interpolated 60. The animations might not be perfectly smooth even at 60 fps, we'll have to see.

30 fps is pretty typical for animations - I think it's literally the Unreal default when importing.

It is trivial to interpolate to any arbitrary framerate. The engine is already doing this for free at runtime.

There's either something else going on, or they just don't give a shit about the port.
 
30 fps is pretty typical for animations - I think it's literally the Unreal default when importing.

It is trivial to interpolate to any arbitrary framerate. The engine is already doing this for free at runtime.

There's either something else going on, or they just don't give a shit about the port.

Yeah they really have no excuses for the animations and no legitimate excuse for locking a 3D game to a framerate, especially using UE5 which handles all of it for you. You basically have to go out of your way to lock things up "properly", but there is also nothign preventing idiots adding code or blueprints that tie framerate to things. These guys just suck at making games.
 
Yeah they really have no excuses for the animations and no legitimate excuse for locking a 3D game to a framerate, especially using UE5 which handles all of it for you. You basically have to go out of your way to lock things up "properly", but there is also nothign preventing idiots adding code or blueprints that tie framerate to things. These guys just suck at making games.
It's Konami... so... yeah.
 
Back
Top