Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I don't understand how Zarathustra[H] doesn't understand the appeal of linear mechanical switches, but that's his opinion. :D I like them because sometimes it's nice not to have to feel that tactile bump/click if you want a smooth typing experience, and they offer a far superior feel and durability vs. membrane switches.
Not to flame, but to bring a bit of humor to the thread...

Opinions are like... everyone has one and they all stink (even mine in the eyes of some others) :p

That said, I also like bucking spring keyboards. I use a IBM model M at work everyday. I prefer a tactile pop at every keystroke. I used a Cherry keyboard with the blacks for around 15 minutes and couldn't stand it or get used to it at all. Something about not having any tactile feedback at all felt very odd to me.

...I don't think I can agree that the fact that someone posted "They're terrible. Tiring to use." is a lie...
Yeah I'm taking the piss, but it's one of those things that is being frequently stated as a fact, not opinion on so many forums. If any poster writes "I don't like the black switches because..." that's fine, it's opinion stated as opinion. Many of these posts inc. the one highlighted are claiming as gospel that black switches are terrible, not for typing, only for gaming, tiring etc

I feel slightly bad for picking on 'thesecond' and the "see a doctor comment" was going too far (sorry)

For the record I've taken the piss out of other posters for saying the same thing, and the other myth that "blue switches aren't for gaming" which is equally nonsense. The opinions stated as facts arguments re switch types is on par with the console vs PC and 16:9 vs 16:10 type arguments.

IanM said:
Yeah I'm taking the piss, but it's one of those things that is being frequently stated as a fact, not opinion on so many forums. If any poster writes "I don't like the black switches because..." that's fine, it's opinion stated as opinion. Many of these posts inc. the one highlighted are claiming as gospel that black switches are terrible, not for typing, only for gaming, tiring etc

The opinions stated as facts arguments re switch types is on par with the console vs PC and 16:9 vs 16:10 type arguments.

Agreed, my friend. Many people do state such things as fact and his statement could have been worded more carefully. A lot of people do state their opinion like it's the law and everyone who disagrees is wrong or crazy.

IanM said:
...the other myth that "blue switches aren't for gaming" which is equally nonsense.

+1. My first keyboard had blues and I used it for gaming without a problem. I do enjoy the tactile feedback of blues and even though many proclaim they aren't good for gaming I like the fact that (unlike linear switches) you can clearly feel where the key is going to actuate which helps with pre-loading the keys. I can see where reds or blacks might be better for double taps, which is the common complaint, but as I said it isn't an issue for me.

Before I post up my impressions, would any of you like pictures? Maybe comparision pics between the K60 and the Choc Mini?

Let me know if you want me to provide any information as requested.

Linear switches still have a lot of advantages over membrane switches, I don't see why anyone would point to tactile feedback as the sole reason for using a mechanical keyboard... Linear switches still require less pressure than membranes and they don't wear out unevenly like membranes, they also accurate halfway thru travel like every other MX switch and don't require you to bottom out on every key stroke like membranes. In short, linear switches still feel worlds apart from membrane dome switches, and there's nothing subjective about that particular statement.

+1. My first keyboard had blues and I used it for gaming without a problem. I do enjoy the tactile feedback of blues and even though many proclaim they aren't good for gaming I like the fact that (unlike linear switches) you can clearly feel where the key is going to actuate which helps with pre-loading the keys. I can see where reds or blacks might be better for double taps, which is the common complaint, but as I said it isn't an issue for me.

hehe, and I do all my gaming on buckling springs.

I have never found myself limited by it, in fact I prefer it to everything else I've used.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, (if old news, sorry) but I emailed Maxkeyboards about a custom keyboard, with MX Blue switches, and Jerry wrote back and said they were going to launch a new model near the end of September or early October called the Nighthawk X7, with default cherry mx blue switches and white leds. Price point around 145 - 149.

Zarathustra[H];1039005361 said:
hehe, and I do all my gaming on buckling springs.

I have never found myself limited by it,

Yeah, I gamed for a while on buckling springs and thought that worked well for me.

Hey guys, quick dumb questioin:

I have a Das Keyboard, but my computer has no ps/2 slot.

Would the http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/124184 ps/2 to usb converter give me n-key rollover?

Thanks in advance!

There are some USB keyboard controllers that DO support Nkey rollover (well, something like 22key rollover, which for all intents and purposes makes no difference) but they are not used very often. I forget which type they are, but I'll poke around and try to find out.

The linked ones are likely not going to provide more thank 6KRO, as clickykeyboards specializes in Model M's, and model M's aren't NKRO to begin with, so a fancy adapter would be wasted on the Model M.

The only ps2 to usb converters I know of that allow for nkro are Soarer's converter and Hasu's converter. Both are teensy based and require assembly. None of the commercial ones allow for nkro.

6kro is good enough for most situations, so I suggest trying the das via the native usb first. If you notice issues then build a Soarer's converter. No sense in spending money when you don't have to.

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510.html

Zarathustra[H];1039007368 said:
I forget which type they are, but I'll poke around and try to find out.

I can't find any PS2 USB adapters that are NKRO. The Choc Mini uses one of the USB controllers that allows for NKRO, but I just can't find any in adapters.

Do you really need NKRO?

With USB 6KRO, you can press up to 6 regular keys and 4 modifier keys (shift, alt, etc.) at the same time and still have all of them register.

In real use this should be more than enough...

Zarathustra[H];1039007368 said:
There are some USB keyboard controllers that DO support Nkey rollover (well, something like 22key rollover, which for all intents and purposes makes no difference) but they are not used very often. I forget which type they are, but I'll poke around and try to find out.

The linked ones are likely not going to provide more thank 6KRO, as clickykeyboards specializes in Model M's, and model M's aren't NKRO to begin with, so a fancy adapter would be wasted on the Model M.

Whatever Corsair is using? I think they claim NKRO over USB, never bothered to test it tho.

The only ps2 to usb converters I know of that allow for nkro are Soarer's converter and Hasu's converter. Both are teensy based and require assembly. None of the commercial ones allow for nkro.

6kro is good enough for most situations, so I suggest trying the das via the native usb first. If you notice issues then build a Soarer's converter. No sense in spending money when you don't have to.

http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/xt-at-ps2-terminal-to-usb-converter-with-nkro-t2510.html

Has anyone EVER documented a REAL need for greater than 6kro?

In any case, I consider Soarer's mod a great one for old keyboards but silly for 6kro Epeen.

Accidentally unseated one of the stabilizer clips on my KBT Pure LE while modding with some soft rubber 0.4mm o-rings from wasdkeyboards... Had to disassemble the keyboard entirely, unscrewed the PCB. It was a great way to spend the evening, and I have a wider knowledge of keyboard assembly in general now.

I highly recommend the o-ring mod to anyone with a backlit cherry keyboard. I questioned it's validity until now... The sound and feeling is sublime on this keyboard now, and the keys feel more responsive with the reduced travel. Not sure if it's hubris or not, but the stabilizers feel less wonky, maybe a manufacturing issue on the KBT Pure, or I'm imagining it.

Don't be a noob like me and think you know what you're doing when you pop out the stabilizer clip to get the keycap off though. :D

Mostly posting because I had an awesome night doing it, and it definitely increased the quality of the keyboard in my opinion.

Has anyone EVER documented a REAL need for greater than 6kro?

In any case, I consider Soarer's mod a great one for old keyboards but silly for 6kro Epeen.

Not sure. Personally I am happy with my old 2KRO Model M's. Other than in testing for KRO I have never noticed it being a limitation.

Accidentally unseated one of the stabilizer clips on my KBT Pure LE while modding with some soft rubber 0.4mm o-rings from wasdkeyboards... Had to disassemble the keyboard entirely, unscrewed the PCB. It was a great way to spend the evening, and I have a wider knowledge of keyboard assembly in general now.

I highly recommend the o-ring mod to anyone with a backlit cherry keyboard. I questioned it's validity until now... The sound and feeling is sublime on this keyboard now, and the keys feel more responsive with the reduced travel. Not sure if it's hubris or not, but the stabilizers feel less wonky, maybe a manufacturing issue on the KBT Pure, or I'm imagining it.

Don't be a noob like me and think you know what you're doing when you pop out the stabilizer clip to get the keycap off though. :D

Mostly posting because I had an awesome night doing it, and it definitely increased the quality of the keyboard in my opinion.

I used to have a Geekhack Wiki on that. Would have saved you lot of time! ಠ_ಠ

Bookmark THIS!
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK..._the_pros_remove_filco_style_wire_stabilized/

I used to have a Geekhack Wiki on that. Would have saved you lot of time! ಠ_ಠ

Bookmark THIS!
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK..._the_pros_remove_filco_style_wire_stabilized/

That was actually my point of confusion... I looked around on the internet and I saw people detaching the metal part of the stabilizer... My stabilizer didn't seem to attach to the underside of the keycap like that, so logically, I detached it from the stabilizer mount instead. Then I realized it was going to be next to impossible to pop the metal bar back into the stabilizers so I took the pcb out.

Now I realize there are at least 2 different kinds of stabilizers. :D

So I finally decided that I'd likely never be happy with a non buckling spring keyboard.

I ordered two Unicomp customizers yesterday, one classic (original size) and one ultra classic (compact), as well as some other stuff I needed from them.

I can't wait to get them :)

Buckling spring is my favorite switch. I love my beige Unicomp Space Saver. Strangely enough, my second favorite switch is the topre switch.

Can't wait to see pics of the customizers!

Buckling spring is my favorite switch. I love my beige Unicomp Space Saver. Strangely enough, my second favorite switch is the topre switch.

I loved the buckling spring. Next favorite is the Cherry MX Blue. I just can't understand the appeal of the Topre switches.

Thinking about it, I guess they aren't strictly customizers. They are Unicomps standard items, actually a really good deal at $79 a pop, compared to many of the keyboards mentioned here.

I'll be customizing one of them with a red esc. key though, just because I like the look :p

That, and I feel good about doing my small part to help keep Unicomp alive :p

I just bought 4 unicomp black classic 104s yesterday! I'm pumped! They'll be replacing a das pro silent, a mionix zibal 60 with cherry blacks, an iOne with cherry blues, and an iOne with cherry browns.:D

I'll post some pics when they come in next week. :)

Great Keyboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little history here as well as how to get colored keys:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/search?q=unicomp&restrict_sr=on

And a Picture Album:http://imgur.com/a/v7CHv#0
RJ4zN.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a lot of the colored command keys are only for the 101.

I just re-placed my order for a Unicomp Black/Black/Blank EnduraPro. I wouldn't be against certain keys being a different color though.

Great Keyboards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A little history here as well as how to get colored keys:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/search?q=unicomp&restrict_sr=on

And a Picture Album:http://imgur.com/a/v7CHv#0
RJ4zN.jpg

I'm still disappointed that they no longer do white lettering on black keys.

I know they had wear issues since they were pad printed, but there are plenty of more modern processes that overcome this, including double shot molding (though I have from a reliable source that a set of double shot molds for a Model M / unicomp 104key keyboard would be a $60,000 upfront investment, which might be something Unicomp is too small to absorb, even if it could be profitable long term.

The only reason I am replacing my black Model M13 Trackpoint II is because I am concerned about wearing out the last set of keys I was able to find anywhere on the internet, and I want to keep this relatively rare keyboard in mint condition.

The IBM Model M by mattlach, on Flickr

Anyway, how do you like the ultraclassic compact Unicomp?

I got one each of the classic and the ultraclassic just in case I didn't like the more compact model. I can always figure out something to use the one I don't winde up using on my primary rig for. I might even give it to my stepson, and use the keycaps from my older beige water damaged Model M to give him contrasting WASD keys.

For mine, I got a red Esc key from Unicomp, just for shits and giggles (it was cheap enough). I'll pop it in and see how I like it when I get the keyboards (should be delivered later today)

I also got one of these for $2 from Unicomp for shits and giggles:

ibmmouse.jpg

My only regret is that now I no longer have a working beige model M to pair it with. I may have to pick one up on eBay.

Zarathustra[H];1039025847 said:
I also got one of these for $2 from Unicomp for shits and giggles:

ibmmouse.jpg

My only regret is that now I no longer have a working beige model M to pair it with. I may have to pick one up on eBay.

Did you ask Unicomp if they had any extra Model Ms, maybe in the back somewhere? They're the kind of company that really goes the extra mile for the enthusiast market... including the occasional discovery of old IBM stuff, like NOS Model Ms for instance... ;)
They'll do that kind of thing for most anyone, but your best best is politely asking for goodies on top of a regular order, say, for a Space Saver or Customizer or what have you...

Last edited:
So, I just got my Unicomp keyboards, and they don't feel right to me.

Less clicky than my Model M, but more clacky if that makes any sense.

It's been many years since I used one, but it's almost a bit reminiscent of my old Dell keyboard with ALPS switches (but in more of a Model M way).

After some poking around, I think I figured out what is going on.

Unicomp has reverted to the old style two part keys. Every other Model M I have ever used has had the one part keys.

I switched some of my old Model M 1 part keycaps over to the new Unicomp and it confirmed my suspicion. With the one piece keycaps everything felt right again.

I'll give myself some time to get used to it, but right now, I'm not sure I like it. It is kind of nice to have a Windows key though, so I can take advantage of the shortcuts (like windows left/right to snap windows to half the screen)

Are there any good sources of one piece keys for these things so I can swap them all out?

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1039025833 said:
I'm still disappointed that they no longer do white lettering on black keys.

I know they had wear issues since they were pad printed, but there are plenty of more modern processes that overcome this, including double shot molding (though I have from a reliable source that a set of double shot molds for a Model M / unicomp 104key keyboard would be a $60,000 upfront investment, which might be something Unicomp is too small to absorb, even if it could be profitable long term.

The only reason I am replacing my black Model M13 Trackpoint II is because I am concerned about wearing out the last set of keys I was able to find anywhere on the internet, and I want to keep this relatively rare keyboard in mint condition.

The IBM Model M by mattlach, on Flickr

Anyway, how do you like the ultraclassic compact Unicomp?

I got one each of the classic and the ultraclassic just in case I didn't like the more compact model. I can always figure out something to use the one I don't winde up using on my primary rig for. I might even give it to my stepson, and use the keycaps from my older beige water damaged Model M to give him contrasting WASD keys.

For mine, I got a red Esc key from Unicomp, just for shits and giggles (it was cheap enough). I'll pop it in and see how I like it when I get the keyboards (should be delivered later today)

Since they make the Enduras with the track point, do you think the keys from it would work on your M13? Then you could just save the last set of nice keys and just beat up grey ones for now.

I like the Compact version. All the goodness of a Classic Model M in a more modern size and still room for pencils/pens.

Weird they changed the name from Space Saver to Ultra Classic. What is THAT supposed to mean?

And regarding the keys I still plan someday on spray coating my M13 keys. The lettering on the M13 is flakier than Randy Travis after a few drinks.
lWcsb.jpg
[/IMG]

I like the Compact version. All the goodness of a Classic Model M in a more modern size and still room for pencils/pens.

Weird they changed the name from Space Saver to Ultra Classic. What is THAT supposed to mean?

And regarding the keys I still plan someday on spray coating my M13 keys. The lettering on the M13 is flakier than Randy Travis after a few drinks.
lWcsb.jpg
[/IMG]

If we group buy a double shot mold for $60k, I k ow a company that will mold us black keys with white lettering. Other than that I have no idea.

I just wish I could get the grey keys that current Unicomps come with in single piece rather than two piece configurations. I really don't like the two piece key cap feel. It's softer and clackier and less precise feeling than my 52G9700 or M13 Trackpoint II, both of which have single piece keys and I love.

lWcsb.jpg
[/IMG]

Also, this is why Unicomp doesn't sell the black keys with white lettering anymore. Since they are pad printed they fade too fast.

All the other key colors are sue sublimated which seems to last forever, but it's tough to due a black key white :p

Zarathustra[H];1039027057 said:
Are there any good sources of one piece keys for these things so I can swap them all out?

try Unicomp? AFAIK they have tons of 1-piece keys, probably in different colors, too. Don't hold me to this, just a suggestion.

Another option would be perusing eBay, asking Model M sellers to check for 1-piece keys until you hit the jackpot and finally find one... Shouldn't take too long if you focus on newer, post-1391401 models with attached cords and such.

try Unicomp? AFAIK they have tons of 1-piece keys, probably in different colors, too. Don't hold me to this, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check in with them. They may still have some older 1 piece keys in stock (the customizes used to come with them I understand) but as of today, everything they are making new appears to be two piece.

This is probably the right choice for them, as most people seem to prefer the two piece keys (and they appear more expensive to make), I'm just an oddball.

Maybe I can find an owner of an older customizer with 1 piece keys who wants to swap? :p

Another option would be perusing eBay, asking Model M sellers to check for 1-piece keys until you hit the jackpot and finally find one... Shouldn't take too long if you focus on newer, post-1391401 models with attached cords and such.

Problem is, most of those keycaps are going to be the ivory/taupe color scheme, not dark grey or black. I already have a full set of those keycaps from my 52G9700 that was water damaged (roof leak at work) but they look like absolute crap on a black keyboard.

I appreciate your suggestions.

i dont like the loud noises mechanical keyboards make :S

There are some quiet ones, especially like cherry MX browns with o-rings. They really don't make any real noise, but feel much more precise than a rubber dome keyboard.

Don't let your aversion to noise stop you from trying a mechanical board. I - for one - happen to like the tactile clickyness of buckling spring type keyboards, but there are many who prefer the quieter ones.

The biggest problem with mechanical keyboards is that once you get used to them you can't go back anymore.

In a way, ignorance is bliss. (or if not bliss, at least a little bit cheaper)

Back