Max Payne 3 -- When Rockstar 'pushes the envelope'

The environments and story in this game are very engaging. 7+ hours went by like nothing yesterday. Here I am now, waiting to play again tonight.

Edit: It's so good, I would want my fiancee to watch me play - she would think it's like a movie.

Agreed, even my wife was watching me play for a while. She said it was "very dramatic." Then she went back to killing zombies in Counter Strike. lol

Agreed, even my wife was watching me play for a while. She said it was "very dramatic." Then she went back to killing zombies in Counter Strike. lol

The story isn't that dynamic. If anything it gets stale towards the end. But I will say that it probably has the best voice acting I have seen in any video game to date. The way the script is written and voiced is amazing.

The story isn't that dynamic. If anything it gets stale towards the end. But I will say that it probably has the best voice acting I have seen in any video game to date. The way the script is written and voiced is amazing.

Dramatic*

Unless you were just making another point...

Opps yea I meant dramatic though. I actually thought it was a little anti climatic

lol, it's still entertaining either way. :)

It was better than what I expected, especially given the amount of crap games that are put out. :(

I'm gonna go off-topic for just this one post since we're on the topic of story and drama. I bought the Walking Dead season pass (for $24.99) on steam, and I have to say, it's WAY better than expected, especially if you enjoy the tv series and comic book series. If you're into pretty solid story telling and making choices, I'd hit that game up.

Figured I'd take advantage of the 'story/atmosphere discussion. Ok, back to MP discussion.

I'm gonna go off-topic for just this one post since we're on the topic of story and drama. I bought the Walking Dead season pass (for $24.99) on steam, and I have to say, it's WAY better than expected, especially if you enjoy the tv series and comic book series. If you're into pretty solid story telling and making choices, I'd hit that game up.

Figured I'd take advantage of the 'story/atmosphere discussion. Ok, back to MP discussion.

Love the TV series. The game is on my Steam wishlist...looks great!

Just starting playing MP3. I was discouraged with the beginning with the amount of cut scenes and the extreme difficulty near the beginning (talking to you stadium scene)

But after I passed a certain point, it did get a little more interesting and shall I say..easy? Playing on normal difficulty. I think what saved it for me was the flashback scene back in NJ. Was just an interesting scene.

I'm not done yet, but I'm enjoying it alot more than I originally did. Doesn't hurt that the graphics look great and it actually runs very well on my dated rig.

I had read this thread before starting the game and was expecting annoying cutscenes... but holy crap they're useless and annoying. Oh look a door. Let's open it taking 1 minute for no reason.

"Still loading"... no you're not. Let me play!.

I alt-f4'd maybe 5 times in 1 hour. It will take me a long time to "Play" (read watch) this game... very disappointed.

I had read this thread before starting the game and was expecting annoying cutscenes... but holy crap they're useless and annoying. Oh look a door. Let's open it taking 1 minute for no reason.

I alt-f4'd maybe 5 times in 1 hour. It will take me a long time to "Play" (read watch) this game... very disappointed.

I guess I'm spoiled with my Samsung 830, but loading time has not bothered me since I jumped into SSD's. Trash your spindle(use it for storage), games (unless they are indie) are likely not going to be getting smaller, at least not the majority of them. :)

I've been running SSD only in my main system for 3 years.

The "Still loading" has nothing to do with actual game play loading, the devs seem to want to force us to watch the cut scenes.

I really want to enjoy the game. But shooting 4 guys per 5 minute of gameplay sucks.

According to reports (I haven't tried it), playing it in Arcade mode lets you skip the story-only cutscenes, but not the actual loading ones.

I've been running SSD only in my main system for 3 years.

The "Still loading" has nothing to do with actual game play loading, the devs seem to want to force us to watch the cut scenes.

I really want to enjoy the game. But shooting 4 guys per 5 minute of gameplay sucks.

I treated it like a movie, so it did not really bother me. The only time it irked me was when I was sucking ass.

I just sat back and watched. I loved the Max Payne story lines in 1 and 2, and 3 was just so badass for me. I accually loved the Cutscenes. Specially maxing every graphic option in Max Payne....just badass.

I had a rule while playing Max Payne 3....everytime there is a cutscene, 1 bong hit. Was a very good trade off if you ask me!

How's the multiplayer scene looking? I haven't logged into the game in a couple of weeks. I put 30 hours into the game but I just couldn't get into the multiplayer long term. I felt it lacked some unknown components for longevity, plus some obvious ones having to do with some bugginess when the game was new ( I used to get DC'ed in a match or quit after a match and come back to see that my most previous MP game had not been saved and lost whatever experience I had gained)

How's the multiplayer scene looking? I haven't logged into the game in a couple of weeks. I put 30 hours into the game but I just couldn't get into the multiplayer long term. I felt it lacked some unknown components for longevity, plus some obvious ones having to do with some bugginess when the game was new ( I used to get DC'ed in a match or quit after a match and come back to see that my most previous MP game had not been saved and lost whatever experience I had gained)

It's boring, and laggy as shit. If it's not laggy as shit, it's boring. I played two matches, hated it, moved on. My 2 cents.

It's boring, and laggy as shit. If it's not laggy as shit, it's boring. I played two matches, hated it, moved on. My 2 cents.

I found it fun for a bit but it just couldn't keep my attention. That being said I can play CS:S/GO maps over and over all day long. This kind of multiplayer game just doesn't do it for me I guess.

I found it fun for a bit but it just couldn't keep my attention. That being said I can play CS:S/GO maps over and over all day long. This kind of multiplayer game just doesn't do it for me I guess.

You'd think it'd be cool, right? Using the moves from single player, and translating that into online mayhem, with shit blowing up all over the place. It's just dry. Like toast.

You'd think it'd be cool, right? Using the moves from single player, and translating that into online mayhem, with shit blowing up all over the place. It's just dry. Like toast.

Agreed. It just doesn't really work out.

Max Payne as a whole was never about multiplayer anyways.

Agreed. It just doesn't really work out.

Max Payne as a whole was never about multiplayer anyways.

They should have spent the time they put in on the MP stuff on refining the SP stuff to make it more streamlined IMO.

They should have spent the time they put in on the MP stuff on refining the SP stuff to make it more streamlined IMO.

I'm happy with how the game turned out. That being said, with the multiplayer as stale/buggy as it is, I would have much rather seen them spend that money to make the SP campaign even longer and just totally abandon the multiplayer modes.

I'm happy with how the game turned out. That being said, with the multiplayer as stale/buggy as it is, I would have much rather seen them spend that money to make the SP campaign even longer and just totally abandon the multiplayer modes.

Agreed.

It's a shame that major studios think they HAVE to include MP these days. When it's tacked onto a game that's primarily about the SP it often feels tacked on and lackluster. There are exceptions that do both well, but take GTA IV and Saint's Row for example. Multiplayer for those games could have been amazing, but it never took off due to what I'm assuming were flawed implementations. Like you guys said, if you're not willing to do it well and make it worth playing then give us more on the single player side or reduce the price (yeah right).

Maybe I'm in minority, but the further I play, the better this game gets. I could be near the end, chapter 10 I think? Love the flashbacks, flash forwards, storyline, crap, I don't care a out the cut scenes. I'm at work today and was thinking about playing Max Payne tonight. Haven't got that feeling in a couple years. So far great game, even though I admit in first couple chapters I wasn't feeling it.

I really liked the game. It was like playing the lead character in an action flick. I was sad when it ended, wanted it to keep going.

I wanted it but I didn't want to pay $60 so I went on Ebay and I bought it for $23. It was the retail version and it shipped from India (free shipping but took a week to get here). I bought it on mid June 14 and was playing it by 21st.

I'm thinking of buying this game but I'm still not fully convinced. Just how long is it? I take it it has near zero replay value (aside from collectables)?

I'm thinking of buying this game but I'm still not fully convinced. Just how long is it? I take it it has near zero replay value (aside from collectables)?

Few hours, 6-8 at least, typical length for this kind of game I suppose, these days anyway. I replayed on a harder difficulty, was great. Multiplayer is ass (IMO). Overall, it's worth it, and at the $30 price that it dropped down to during the Steam summer sale, it was a steal and a half.

Raudulfr said:

It never ceases to amaze me how much negativity and cynicism there is around here coming into something.

I had about 10 hours on my first SP playthrough on normal difficulty.

Plenty of replay value. Arcade mode, for one. Multiplayer is slowly getting better. I just took down another patch today. I'll have to see what it's for.

I paid full price for this and would do it again in a second. One of the best games to come out this entire year so far.

Last edited:
It never ceases to amaze me how much negativity and cynicism there is around here coming into something.

I had about 10 hours on my first SP playthrough on normal difficulty.

Plenty of replay value. Arcade mode, for one. Multiplayer is slowly getting better. I just took down another patch today. I'll have to see what it's for.

I paid full price for this and would do it again in a second. One of the best games to come out this entire year so far.

I have to agree, it's the best game (for me at least) so far. Idk about 10 hours, that's kind of pushing it :p , but I just couldn't stand the multiplayer. Much better ways to spend time if someone has limited time to game. Overall, the game was worth 2 playthroughs for me, and that's a solid 15-16 hours right there of gaming.

I paid $30 via an Amazon deal they had going on for a while -- 100% worth it!

I'm about 90% done with the game, havent played in a week because of work and some travel. Is the game worth $60 dollars? if you are super impatient and want to play it "now" then I would say it actually is worth it.

If you can snag it for $40, do it! Or just wait for another $29.99 deal. I've only played a few minutes of multiplayer - if I want some multiplayer action I will go for BF3, but might try to get more into it.

Story/voice/action/camera work is amazing.

Great game, though I'm not sure I agree with the replay value unless you do MP. Personally, having only really played SP, I have no real desire to play through it again after the first playthrough. YMMV, though, obviously.

I have to agree, it's the best game (for me at least) so far. Idk about 10 hours, that's kind of pushing it :p , but I just couldn't stand the multiplayer. Much better ways to spend time if someone has limited time to game. Overall, the game was worth 2 playthroughs for me, and that's a solid 15-16 hours right there of gaming.

That Rockstar Social Club says I came in around 9:50ish on SP play. I don't know if that counts arcade mode, too, though.

That Rockstar Social Club says I came in around 9:50ish on SP play. I don't know if that counts arcade mode, too, though.

I think you afk'ed for 2 hours, maybe throw in some lunches and a long poo break. ;)

Its about 10 hours, give or take. Though it is a good 10 hours. Aside from the SP there is an arcade mode which from what I understand is essentially the same, but with time restrictions and similar. There is also an MP but I never played that. If you're interested in buying a copy PM me.

WTF is with the machine gun guy on the roof, I unloaded the full machine gun you got from the guy on top of the stairs(only 36 rounds) into his head and this guy just keeps lulzing around. I hate when these games add stupidly retarded boss fights that make zero sense. /rant

I finally finished this movie.

took around 9hours at my end. In around 40 sessions.

I kept pressing alt-f4 during cut scenes. I have zero desire to replay this game. While the gameplay was fun, I couldn't stand non-skippable cut scenes at all. The story ones were "ok". The random small cut scenes where he opens a door (and switches back to a handgun!) are not needed at all.

I finally finished this movie.

took around 9hours at my end. In around 40 sessions.

I kept pressing alt-f4 during cut scenes. I have zero desire to replay this game. While the gameplay was fun, I couldn't stand non-skippable cut scenes at all. The story ones were "ok". The random small cut scenes where he opens a door (and switches back to a handgun!) are not needed at all.

Yep. Way too much unskippable BS. Which is a shame, because the gameplay itself is really good.

Yep. Way too much unskippable BS. Which is a shame, because the gameplay itself is really good.

It's a shame they haven't patched that up yet. Certainly in Arcade Mode I shouldn't even see cutscenes if I don't want to. That kind of defeats the purpose of even playing Arcade Mode IMO.

WTF is with the machine gun guy on the roof, I unloaded the full machine gun you got from the guy on top of the stairs(only 36 rounds) into his head and this guy just keeps lulzing around. I hate when these games add stupidly retarded boss fights that make zero sense. /rant

Yeah, that is where I am. Tough as nails. Not sure what to do. Got to replay that part over and over, getting a bit tedious.

Yeah, that is where I am. Tough as nails. Not sure what to do. Got to replay that part over and over, getting a bit tedious.

Alright I just killed him. I really don't know what I did differently, but I used the MG from the guy at the top of the stairs and aimed at his goggles instead of just his head. That did it for me after about the second or third volley.

Also, I just beat the game...after 6 hours and I wasn't even rushing it. I played on Normal because I like it to be balanced between fun and slightly difficult. I don't really have any incentive to play it again, the game play got a bit lame since it was basically the same thing the entire game. Story was kinda good though, I enjoyed it especially since it felt like no character was safe, no matter how important they seemed.

Back