Mass Effect: Andromeda

That looks promising.
I'd say exact the opposite. It looks like DA:I in space and maaan those animations are bad (facial animations are terrible but the rest aren't great either). I didn't get any wows from this trailer. Visually it doesn't look that great either.

I dunno. This series has never let me down before, hopefully it will continue to be that way. The combat and exploration both look good to me. I didn't like the warp move she was doing through I've been seeing way too much of that shit with FFXV's warp blade lol. Yeah the facial animations are ugly but that doesn't affect the gameplay, so whatever.

Finally, verticality! If only they would offer crossplay for coop...
I'd say exact the opposite. It looks like DA:I in space and maaan those animations are bad (facial animations are terrible but the rest aren't great either). I didn't get any wows from this trailer. Visually it doesn't look that great either.
I disagree. To me, it looks like they took the best elements from the first three games and improved upon them immensely. I'm officially hyped, especially after that Vanguard gameplay.

Seconded. I'm watching on a $@#& monitor now, but I liked that enough to rewatch in 1440p tonight. I am excited for this, despite the fact that it could go terribly wrong. It stands just as much possibility to go very right.

Seconded. I'm watching on a $@#& monitor now, but I liked that enough to rewatch in 1440p tonight. I am excited for this, despite the fact that it could go terribly wrong. It stands just as much possibility to go very right.
I won't let the social justice politics ruin this one for me.

Looks amazing. I can't wait!

IF...big IF not trying to overhype this.... Bioware is bringing the big guns, their A game, and what I think I see promised here all told.... Game of the Year 2017 crown might be this game's to lose.

I'm really stoked. I agree with others: So far what I see is a "best of the first three games brought up" backbone with DA:I tricks/lessons learned on a Frostbite engine that isn't woefully handicapped for crap hardware like what happened to DA:I.

Seriously what's not to like?

Last edited:
New demos and gameplay videos seem like it's a very standard Mass Effect game with some cues from Dragon's Age Inquisition. I don't know why I was expecting something different.

new trailer looked fantastic to me...the best line from the trailer- "every planet has its own story"...the environments look huge, detailed and varied...I get more of a ME1 vibe but with more interesting exploration

The animation in the final game will be just as disappointing, if not worse. They are simply in over their heads, as demonstrated by how long they took just to unveil this "spectacular" footage.

Graphically it looks rather great, as to be expected. Facial animations do look off, which is odd. ME3 looked more natural on an older engine. It does matter in ME games since we spent a lot of time looking at characters speak. Gameplay wise I am not too sure. It seems like it will be big, empty and shallow gameplay wise and possibly even story wise. Hard to really tell from a single trailer, but it has that "lets do repetitive missions to build a new base" vibe to it.

I'm confused. How can we have settlements populated with krogans, humans, and turians, if we're supposed to be the first prospectors in Andromeda from the milky way galaxy. Not that I'd mind, in fact I feared that we could only interact with weird new aliens trough the entire story, but this makes no sense in light of what I thought about the story until now.

OK. So I watched it on my phone in the bathroom at 6 am. I said promising. It could be decent but yeah. Waiting on the release. DaI mod rings a bit too true.

The animation in the final game will be just as disappointing, if not worse. They are simply in over their heads, as demonstrated by how long they took just to unveil this "spectacular" footage.
This is BioWare. It will almost certainly stay like that.

I absolutely loved ME1 and ME2. The last 10 minutes ruined ME3 and almost the whole ME ip (they had to totally abandon everything and pick different galaxy). Funnily ME3 was a downgrade graphically in some cases (eye rendering took pretty massive step backwards for example) and animations looked bad in some cases. Maybe console limitations...

DA:I was initially a positive experience but after playing a bit it felt really lifeless and boring. Combat didn't feel good either. They totally ruined the conversation in that game and side quests too. So if this does end up being DA:I in space....

I'd be extremely happy with ME2 like game (content wise) but with improved combat, graphics etc.

new trailer looked fantastic to me...the best line from the trailer- "every planet has its own story"...the environments look huge, detailed and varied...I get more of a ME1 vibe but with more interesting exploration

Yeaaaaaaaaaah I will take that claim with a large grain of salt in light of the labyrinth of grand lies weaved about ME3. And I struggle to understand why people laud over the exploration elements of ME1, it was basically the same recycled environment with a scattering of boxed structures occasionally strewn about coupled with underwhelming and vacuous plots. The only dev I trust at this point to competently design and implement side missions in an open world sandbox RPG is CDProjekt.

Last edited:

I absolutely loved ME1 and ME2. The last 10 minutes ruined ME3 and almost the whole ME ip (they had to totally abandon everything and pick different galaxy). Funnily ME3 was a downgrade graphically in some cases (eye rendering took pretty massive step backwards for example) and animations looked bad in some cases. Maybe console limitations...

DA:I was initially a positive experience but after playing a bit it felt really lifeless and boring. Combat didn't feel good either. They totally ruined the conversation in that game and side quests too. So if this does end up being DA:I in space....

I'd be extremely happy with ME2 like game (content wise) but with improved combat, graphics etc.

Also keep in mind the only game they've really worked on was the MP section of ME3 and I think a few minor areas of ME2. I am sure some staff from Bioware Edmonton is working on this, but I can't imagine many are. ME3's multiplayer was sub par as expected and not really needed. So they don't have a stunning track record to go off of, or much of one at all.

I disagree, ME3's multiplayer was very fun, and you can still pickup groups pretty quickly, which is crazy since it's abandoned at this point. It was not the best thing ever (insert silly 733T speak as needed), but it was fun and challenging.

I disagree, ME3's multiplayer was very fun, and you can still pickup groups pretty quickly, which is crazy since it's abandoned at this point. It was not the best thing ever (insert silly 733T speak as needed), but it was fun and challenging.

Would have been better if the progression mechanics were not a thinly veiled monetised slot machine.

in a RPG, they should stop wasting time on RPG, and actually make a good story.

Would have been better if the progression mechanics were not a thinly veiled monetised slot machine.

While I agree 100% with you about how you got new items, the MP game play was IMO a SHIT LOAD of fun! The different classes were really neat and unique and the N7 characters were a great addition.Whatever they do, I hope they keep the hoarde mode of ME3. It was absolutely a blast!

And I struggle to understand why people laud over the exploration elements of ME1, it was basically the same recycled environment with a scattering of boxed structures occasionally strewn about coupled with underwhelming and vacuous plots

ME1's exploration was cut-and-paste and tedious with grindy resource gathering being the only reward...that's why ME3 looks better because it makes exploring look much more interesting and worthwhile

After playing each map once you literally saw everything the MP mode had to offer. I would've preferred another DLC mission over it. That is just my opinion though.

You (imho) had to play each map with each different enemy at the very least to see every thing, and even then there were differences depending on spawn placement and simple luck... But I do agree that the rng slot machine of weapon sucked to all getout.

The difference in visual flair compared to the battlefield 1 trailer is striking. We see where the extra artistic attention went. Why can't this ever translate into an actual rpg? Too much stuff and different environments to render compared to the other fluff games?

Are pre-orders open yet? I want to make sure EA & BioWare get my money ASAP.

Lol, you have a little troll in you, don't you?

--

The first trailer did give me a real rehashed ME2 feel, and this trailer gives me the same "DA:I in space" feeling others have mentioned. That said I'm not going to speculate, I'll wait for release reviews. I've had some disappointment with BioWare's here and there, but by and large they've made games I enjoyed. I'm not so disillusioned with them that I've stopped hoping they pull a winner out of the hat.

Maybe I missed something, but where are the party members in combat?

I really hope this isn't another hopelessly boring open-world game (ie DA:I etc), please give me a focused storyline with choices, limited exploration, and believable worlds -- not just open-world full of "points of interest" ala DA:I or W3.
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I actually preferred ME2 to ME1 in terms of pacing and gameplay (although all 3 are probably some of the most entertaining and interesting games I've ever played (and probably will ever play for that matter)).

Maybe I missed something, but where are the party members in combat?

I really hope this isn't another hopelessly boring open-world game (ie DA:I etc), please give me a focused storyline with choices, limited exploration, and believable worlds -- not just open-world full of "points of interest" ala DA:I or W3.
Maybe I am in the minority here, but I actually preferred ME2 to ME1 in terms of pacing and gameplay (although all 3 are probably some of the most entertaining and interesting games I've ever played (and probably will ever play for that matter)).
I prefer ME2 too, but I also really liked the exploration in ME1. So either one would be fine, but please don't make it a DA:I style running simulator.

The entire Mass Effect series has serious animation issues. Those issues seemed to get worse with each game in the series too. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic even borrows animations from the Mass Effect games, problems and all. Although as a whole SWTOR is animated better than Mass Effect is. As for your comments about Mass Effect 3 being a downgrade from Mass Effect 2 you couldn't be more right. BioWare didn't want to develop their game across multiple platforms with any more effort than the absolute minimum necessary to make it run on those other platforms. BioWare essentially built the game around the limitations of the XBOX 360. The biggest limitation was the disc capacity. Rather than giving it an extra disc, BioWare reduced the texture sizes of most, if not all the game textures to make the game fit on the discs. Textures were dropped from 2048x2048 to 128x128 in some cases. The biggest hit was to the normal maps. In Mass Effect 2, the normal maps were always half the size, or equal size to the texture layers. The Unreal Engine also has different sized textures for different draw distances. Mass Effect 3 used smaller textures than ME2 did for a lot of these lower resolution textures as well just to save space.

I spent countless hours modding Mass Effect 3's textures. In some cases I'd pull shared textures from ME2 and use those as a basis for mods, or simply convert the ME2 texture to Mass Effect 3. The M-76 Revenant is one such example. The original texture in ME2 was 2048x2048. This had three main texture layers all of which were the same resolution in ME2. In ME3, the main texture was 512x512 and the normal map and the other layer were 128x128! :eek: The texture for ME3 wasn't even usable so I chucked it in favor of the ME2 texture, restoring it for the third game.

Back