Mass Effect: Andromeda

Hotfix patch 1.07 was just released today on all platforms.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/Info-Hotfix-18-05/td-p/6068373

No official patch notes, but here is what people have found:
  • Fixes server disconnect when sending strike teams on APEX missions
  • Fixes crash on UNC Outlaw when nearing signal source
  • Athletic casual outfit will now unlock for all eligible players (specifically those who bought the Super Deluxe Edition after patch 1.06)
  • Fixed issue that prevented completion of Nomad upgrade/shield crafting quest (travel back to Tempest to trigger completion)
  • Removed the unintentional "pity" timer for ultra rares in Expert Packs in multiplayer ("pity" timer is only supposed to apply to Premium Packs, which guarantees 1 UR for every 10 packs purchased)
  • (PC Only) Fixed UI positioning using "non-standard" high resolutions (since when is 2560x1440 a "non-standard" resolution?)

I don't get point 3. I don't remember them revealing that as a cause for the initiative.

Well, (spoilers of course):

Technically, Jien Garson had the idea for the Andromeda Initiative prior to the outbreak of the Reaper threat. It's mentioned a few times that she was an eccentric trllionaire; however, it's also established that the Initiative was losing traction, running out of money, and likely wouldn't happen. Once the Reapers appeared, a mysterious benefactor came out of the woodwork and funded the entire project on an accelerated timeline. Most of this is revealed through the Jien Garson VI (when you enable her secret log) and the Alec Ryder memories.

• Athletic casual outfit will now unlock for all eligible players (specifically those who bought the Super Deluxe Edition after patch 1.06)
  • Fixed issue that prevented completion of Nomad upgrade/shield crafting quest (travel back to Tempest to trigger completion)
  • Removed the unintentional "pity" timer for ultra rares in Expert Packs in multiplayer ("pity" timer is only supposed to apply to Premium Packs, which guarantees 1 UR for every 10 packs purchased)
  • (PC Only) Fixed UI positioning using "non-standard" high resolutions (since when is 2560x1440 a "non-standard" resolution?)

Still no fix for Task: Watchers. Been stuck at 99% completion for weeks now. I also wouldn't mind seeing proper UI graphics for 4k resolutions.

Well, (spoilers of course):
Exactly, that's why it's not why the initiative was created, it only contributed to it's actual realization. That's an entirely different thing that I find perfectly acceptable.

That athletic casual outfit is extra cringy, why did they have to add headphones? The only way it could be more tacky if it was a beats product placement.

Exactly, that's why it's not why the initiative was created, it only contributed to it's actual realization. That's an entirely different thing that I find perfectly acceptable.

I admit my wording was wrong. It is not the reason the Initiative was created, but rather the reason it was realized - Just semantics as far as I am concerned.

However, my problem was not with the content of the reveal, but rather that it was put at the end of the game and positioned as a narrative twist that was meant to surprise players. It should have been revealed, like my first suggestion, in the opening segments of the game. I actually think that it was a great reason for the initiative and, at the very least, helps to tie the overall ME universe together.

I agree with a lot of the above post. 3 is the only point I disagree on and even then I'd agree if done correctly. 5 I sort of agree with but again only if done right.
So what if the Remnant are like mini Reapers in Andromeda and the Scourge is the realization of the Dark Energy subplot from the original trilogy? Only instead of consuming the galactic races to save the galaxy, the Remnant and whoever put them there found a way to ward off the dark energy while allowing life to flourish while still using Eezo?

At the very beginning of Andromeda you find a log on the floor that describes communication array failures and other damage while Hyperion was still in transit. Maybe a Reaper did follow the ark?

Just a thought.

So what if the Remnant are like mini Reapers in Andromeda and the Scourge is the realization of the Dark Energy subplot from the original trilogy? Only instead of consuming the galactic races to save the galaxy, the Remnant and whoever put them there found a way to ward off the dark energy while allowing life to flourish while still using Eezo?

At the very beginning of Andromeda you find a log on the floor that describes communication array failures and other damage while Hyperion was still in transit. Maybe a Reaper did follow the ark?

Just a thought.

That's a really cool idea. I completely forgot about the dark energy subplot. I've been meaning to do another playthrough of the original three. If I was a member of a race of hyperintelligent superbeings and potentially millions of years old, I'd probably take notice of an ark (or several) skipping town.

I admit my wording was wrong. It is not the reason the Initiative was created, but rather the reason it was realized - Just semantics as far as I am concerned.

However, my problem was not with the content of the reveal, but rather that it was put at the end of the game and positioned as a narrative twist that was meant to surprise players. It should have been revealed, like my first suggestion, in the opening segments of the game. I actually think that it was a great reason for the initiative and, at the very least, helps to tie the overall ME universe together.

I didn't mind that at all. I always suspected it had something do with it. What bothered me is that they teased it trough half the game and still wouldn't reveal who was the benefactor.

The obvious choice is the IM, but my secret theory is that it's Saren, he started working for the reapers initially to try to find a way to beat them, so maybe this was the way he found, my worst nightmare is if they reveal it to be Liara aka the shadowbroker.

I didn't mind that at all. I always suspected it had something do with it. What bothered me is that they teased it trough half the game and still wouldn't reveal who was the benefactor.

The obvious choice is the IM, but my secret theory is that it's Saren, he started working for the reapers initially to try to find a way to beat them, so maybe this was the way he found, my worst nightmare is if they reveal it to be Liara aka the shadowbroker.

That would be doubtful given that Liara didn't know the Reapers were back until the events of Mass Effect 1. If the arks launched shortly after Mass Effect 2, then I don't think she'd have had the time to start using the Shadow Broker's resources to move up the Initiative's time table. I can't remember, but if they launched just prior to 2, or close to that then there is no way she'd have had the resources to do anything to help the Initiative. It just doesn't
fit.

Saren is a potential possibility, but again it seems unlikely. While he had the knowledge concerning the Reapers, I doubt he had the financial resources to contribute significantly. If anything, the "seemingly" unlimited budget mentioned in Andromeda matche's Cerberu's MO.

Not knowing who the benefactor is really bothered me too. They didn't even tease a possible identity. For all we know it's the rogue AI from the Citadel in ME1 that was skimming credits off the gambling machines (assuming he didn't blow himself up).

I never even thought of Saren. That would add an incredible layer of subtext to the first game, but I feel you. I think they're going to reveal it as either the IM or Liara-broker or, even worse than both of those, just some wealthy dude who we've never seen and never get to see. My personal secret not-at-all-true theory is that the benefactor is a Reaper (or someone indoctrinated by them) that saw the potential for the initiative to spread the Reaper's particular form of preserving life to another galaxy. What can I say, I really liked the Reapers, but I know they weren't popular for everyone.

That would be doubtful given that Liara didn't know the Reapers were back until the events of Mass Effect 1. If the arks launched shortly after Mass Effect 2, then I don't think she'd have had the time to start using the Shadow Broker's resources to move up the Initiative's time table. I can't remember, but if they launched just prior to 2, or close to that then there is no way she'd have had the resources to do anything to help the Initiative. It just doesn't fit.

Good point. She doesn't fit at all in the timeline. I'm pretty sure the Andromeda Initiative launched within a year after the events of ME:1, as I remember a conversation between two former Cerberus folks complaining that the IM was caught up in the crazy pursuit of bringing people back from the dead - AKA project Lazarus.

Good point. She doesn't fit at all in the timeline. I'm pretty sure the Andromeda Initiative launched just after the events of ME:1, as I remember a conversation between two former Cerberus folks complaining that the IM was caught up in the crazy pursuit of bringing people back from the dead - AKA project Lazarus.

Those two also never knew that Project Lazarus succeeded. Therefore, the timeline points to a pre-ME2 launch of the Arks.

Those two also never knew that Project Lazarus succeeded. Therefore, the timeline points to a pre-ME2 launch of the Arks.

True enough. Which means the arks launched after the SR1 was hit by the collectors but before Shepard wakes on the Cerberus base.

Another multiplayer fix found:
  • Fixed issue that prevented common weapon challenges from completing

I think if I go back through my three playthroughs- I should be able to complete them all to 100% if they fix Watchers. I did try it after 1.06, and it was definitely still not completing.

(that said, has anyone reached 100%?)

OK, I'm done with the Uprising novel. And when I say done I don't mean finished. Done, as in I can't be bothered to suffer trough it any longer. It's garbage. Initially I thought it was better than Deception, but it's not. It's far worse, only for different reasons.
Each time I started reading it took no more than a few pages to make me completely mad, and close the book immediately. I wanted to tear it to pieces, burn it, then stomp on the ashes.

And surprise surprise as I looked at the biography of the writers it was revealed that one of them is a social justice writer. Further proof that rabid progressivism is cancerous, it perverts everything, and makes it unfit for consumption.

I'm actually surprised amazon reviews for the book are 50 percent 5 star. And the worst was 3 star, until now that is.

OK, I'm done with the Uprising novel. And when I say done I don't mean finished. Done, as in I can't be bothered to suffer trough it any longer. It's garbage. Initially I thought it was better than Deception, but it's not. It's far worse, only for different reasons.
Each time I started reading it took no more than a few pages to make me completely mad, and close the book immediately. I wanted to tear it to pieces, burn it, then stomp on the ashes.

And surprise surprise as I looked at the biography of the writers it was revealed that one of them is a social justice writer. Further proof that rabid progressivism is cancerous, it perverts everything, and makes it unfit for consumption.

I'm actually surprised amazon reviews for the book are 50 percent 5 star. And the worst was 3 star, until now that is.
Here's all you need to know about K.C. Alexander:

Well, I am a pansexual nonbinary fierce motherfucker and I will write what I know. Keep up.
upload_2017-5-19_9-28-12.png

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/201...ale-or-why-i-stopped-internalizing-your-shit/

ok, this is off topic as hell. this person, she is whatever she is. she does not however own the rights to mass effect. your beef is with whoever chose her to produce essentially fan fiction. Sci-fi created based on games or tv shows tends to suck. Why would you expect anything different?

I think if I go back through my three playthroughs- I should be able to complete them all to 100% if they fix Watchers. I did try it after 1.06, and it was definitely still not completing.

(that said, has anyone reached 100%?)

1.07 hotfix just came through so that should help. Prior to these patches I don't think that was possible because of some glitched sidequests and such.

I'd be interested to know as well. Some people in this thread have done pretty hardcore multiple playthroughs. Is it even possible to hit a 100 percent?

ok, this is off topic as hell. this person, she is whatever she is. she does not however own the rights to mass effect. your beef is with whoever chose her to produce essentially fan fiction. Sci-fi created based on games or tv shows tends to suck. Why would you expect anything different?
I don't know what is your point. I don't care who choose her to write the novel I have a beef with the novel, and the novel is supposed to be the prequel for this game, so it's very much on topic.
The novels written by Drew Karpyshin were excellent. So your blanket statement is invalid, as usual for blanket statements.

The book by Dietz was crap, but only because he was lazy, and didn't study the lore before writing the novel.
But this is an entirely new level of bullshit. Someone using a book contract to push their political agenda disregarding what each character should be and appropriating a renowned fictional universe for that is not acceptable. And I will call it out, and like it or not this is the most on topic place for that.

If we don't stand up against this it will trickle down into the games themselves. And I won't stand for that. Better squash this pest before it ruins everything.

For all we know she was chosen for exactly that reason. you can be sure that the rights holders had veto power over anything she wrote and it was approved regardless. the book and the game though are two separate entities. not sure why you are complaining about a book in a thread about a game. I guess you must be one of the 3 people that bought that book....

I don't know what is your point. I don't care who choose her to write the novel I have a beef with the novel, and the novel is supposed to be the prequel for this game, so it's very much on topic.
The novels written by Drew Karpyshin were excellent. So your blanket statement is invalid, as usual for blanket statements.

The book by Dietz was crap, but only because he was lazy, and didn't study the lore before writing the novel.
But this is an entirely new level of bullshit. Someone using a book contract to push their political agenda disregarding what each character should be and appropriating a renowned fictional universe for that is not acceptable. And I will call it out, and like it or not this is the most on topic place for that.

If we don't stand up against this it will trickle down into the games themselves. And I won't stand for that. Better squash this pest before it ruins everything.
Dietz is a horrible writer, period. You could see it in the Halo novels he authored, as well. By contrast, Eric Nylund's Halo novels were superb.
For all we know she was chosen for exactly that reason. you can be sure that the rights holders had veto power over anything she wrote and it was approved regardless. the book and the game though are two separate entities. not sure why you are complaining about a book in a thread about a game. I guess you must be one of the 3 people that bought that book....
The books tie directly into the lore. In the original trilogy several things that were covered in the books go from a simple mention to directly influencing the story in the game. I think it is very important to keep the books honest as much as the games.

Reactions: M76
like this
As Armenius have already said, the novels tied to the game used to be excellent. They expanded the story, they gave a huge boost to the original trilogy elevating background characters to new levels So there used to be quality there. (except for Deception, which was simply bad due to bad writing, but had no ulterior motives)
I don't think the game's creators even had a say in the book's approval or writers. The book versions of the characters who are also in the game don't even resemble the game's versions. They're completely twisted to serve one purpose and one purpose only: promoting identity politics.
I still don't know what is your point. Whoever approved it or didn't the problem exists. I cannot believe a few posts about that book causes you so much discomfort, that you have to become self appointed forum police. And not even for any good reason as the tie in novel for the game is absolutely on topic to the game's discussion.

So, while I wait for more content (and/or fixing The Watchers), I decided to start an NG+ of The Witcher 3.

If you thought ME:A's lipsyncing was bad... holy hell. I have to wonder why every studio doesn't just put a camera on every voice actor for every line so they can get this right. It's worth doing right, IMO.

So, while I wait for more content (and/or fixing The Watchers), I decided to start an NG+ of The Witcher 3.

If you thought ME:A's lipsyncing was bad... holy hell. I have to wonder why every studio doesn't just put a camera on every voice actor for every line so they can get this right. It's worth doing right, IMO.

Money. And time. but mostly money.

welp, I finally went and finished the game. was expecting some hot lesbian sex with suvi, was disappointed. lol. there is about 15 of those additional tasks, but fuck that, too much bullshit.

so questions, being as I miss things...
Who was the benefactor? Who killed jean (the founder) or whatever her name was?

Story threads for future DLCs and games. I never expected all that to be answered right away and I would have been disappointed if they had crammed all that in there since some of that clearly hints to something even bigger.

I don't know how and why this FUD about this future of the series is looming all based off of a Kotaku anecdotal article. The sales have been good... they simply are diverting and all resources to their Destiny wannabe game "Project Dylan" and everything else is sent to the backburner. That's all it is.

15 Reasons Why Mass Effect Andromeda Is The Series’ Best Game

http://screenrant.com/mass-effect-andromeda-best-game-in-series/

I disagree with that article on so many points.

Uh, no. Easily way behind the other 3 in the series.

Agreed.

welp, I finally went and finished the game. was expecting some hot lesbian sex with suvi, was disappointed. lol. there is about 15 of those additional tasks, but fuck that, too much bullshit.

so questions, being as I miss things...
Who was the benefactor? Who killed jean (the founder) or whatever her name was?

The only good sex scenes are with PeeBee and Cora as far as I know.

The benefactor isn't known by the end of the game. Signs point to it being Cerberus or the Illusive Man directly. I seriously hope the writers can do better than that. In Mass Effect 2, Joker asks the question: "Cerberus is a three headed dog, so how come only one guy is in charge of it?" This got me thinking. I'd like to see the writers reveal additional Cerberus leadership and give us new characters. Either way, the benefactor, whomever it is killed Jien Garsen.

Nope.................Nope............Nope.......Nope.....Nope...Nope.NopeNopeNopeNope and then I stopped scrolling down.

That was my reaction to that :-D

There were a couple things I sort of agreed with. The combat and multiplayer are better than ever and I do think the open world aspects of the game are well executed. Andromeda never gave me that "lost sense of direction" feel I get from other open world games. I think the characters in the game are good and will grow on us overtime if given the chance through sequels. I can't say those characters make Andromeda a better game. All I can say is that their interactions feel more natural in some cases and better executed in some areas. Other than that, I can't agree with the articles points. The game does feel ripe with missed opportunities but its definitely not any worse than the previous trilogy on that front. ME3 was an epic failure on that front so I will concede Andromeda is a better game than ME3 but that's only because of the game's final hour or so that I feel confident in saying that.

Nope.................Nope............Nope.......Nope.....Nope...Nope.NopeNopeNopeNope and then I stopped scrolling down.

That was my reaction to that :-D

Actually I'm in a mood. So here goes:

1. Nope, I think the Tempest is a terrible ship, and it's very classist. Which is ironic coming from a game with social justice ideals. The only person who has an actual cabin on the ship is the pathfinder, and it's fucking huge. It's not a cabin it's a loft or penthouse even. Completely unwarranted, while noone else not even the XO has an office. On the Normandy the captain's cabin was humbler by a very large margin. And even there I thought the SR2's cabin was a bit much.
    The rest of the crew only gets bunk beds in the common area, or try to use some cargo hold or other room as a living space, which is unfair to the crew IMO The Normandy has a proper mess hall, proper workstations for the crew on the bridge with seating. Here no seating, if the ride gets rought I guess they can hold on to their beds. No mess hall but a small one person space of a kitchen.
    And then there is a the huge unnecessary indulgence the meeting room, or dome or whatever that is. Which is completely useless you can just as well use the bridge for meetings for the crew size. Or even the penthouse. It's a waste of space, and has no functionality apart from the vidcon which could be at a number of other more convenient places.
    The engineering is a safety hazard, no way they can properly contain the drive core in the open like that.
    And don't get me started on the idea that they didn't even have the option of arming the ship. When you're venturing into the unknown the least you can do is be prepared to defend yourself, and not be at the mercy of whoever. I mean would the Enterprise in Star Trek go where no man has gone before without any kind of weapon? Hell no.

So overall the Tempest is a terrible ship. It might look sleek but in space functionality should be first. This looks like it was designed by a committee.

2. multiplayer does not count for me in a story driven SP game.

3. OK I'll give them this, it does look better than the previous games. But hey, five years later it better be. So this doesn't make it a better game either.

4. I had no problem with the way scanning was implemented in ME2 / ME3. It was better that way imo. more realistic even. You don't expect the first pathfinder to go down in the trenches and drop mining drones on actual deposits? Hell no that's just a job for the grunts. You find planets with potential rich resources from orbit and mark them with probes that's it. Which was the way in previous games.

5. It might have more missions but the overall quality of missions is not that good. I'd have preferred less with more attention to detail. As in every mission should be at the complexity of the loyalty missions. If that makes the game 30 hours instead of 70 be it. Noone complained that the previous games were only 30 hours long.

6. There is nothing new here the same kinds of choices were always there, but we still don't have story altering choices. And the same applied to romance as well, you didn't choose the right answer once then romance was off the table.

7. The loyatly missions were the only good side missions in the game. This still doesn't make this the best ME game. They just reached back and did something that worked in the past. And apart from these missions the crew is just background decoration that you have no real connection to. In Me2, the characters get some depth even before you go on their mission. Here I had zero connection to any character until after their loyalty missions.

8. Just bull fucking shit. There are no words how much I hated the new conversation system. It's more of a lottery than ever before. To know which response will be the one you're most OK with. It was actually better with the hints turned off so I could randomly stumble upon good comebacks from Ryder, because following logic never worked with the responses.
    With the paragon / renegade system at least you knew that choosing renegade will get the job done no matter the consequences, and paragon will also achieve a desirable outcome while still remaining morally superior. Here you have no clue what response will yield acceptable results and which in embarrassment.

9. Crafting and equipping different gear is not customization you moron. And you can actually create acceptable looking characters with the character creator, so wrong again.

10. I already explained why I hate profiles in my review won't repeat myself here. Short version: It takes away the heart of RPG specialization if you can switch classes on the fly whenever you want.

11. About the only character on the ship I liked was the pilot, Kallo.
    Drack: Ok I'm fine with him
    Cora: Worships the asari like some gods, her constant whining about how the asari pathfinder willl put everything right was annoying as hell, all the while they treated her like an outsider all along while she worked with them. Pathetic lack of self-confidence. At least she has hope for improvement, the rest are hopeless
    Vetra: Ruthless merc turned goodguy? I don't buy it.
    Liam: The broguy who tries way too hard to be friends with everyone, he's not just clumsy but irresponsible too.
    Jaal: He's like a spoiled child who goes sulking each time something doesn't go his way, really immature and annoying.
    Peebe: No class at all, childish, irresponsible, someone else will clean up after me kind. I want nothing to do with her.
    Suvi: You be happy with your deity, I don't want a threesome.
    Gil: The poster guy for gays, who I think is a fake, only wants to be edgy. He just rubs me wrong, I always feared he'll stab me in the back for some reason.
    Lexi: Everything wrong with the game is written on your face literally.

12. I didn't know what to make of Ryder. I think the best I can say about him/her is that I've come to terms with the weaknesses by the end, but that doesn't mean I've grown to like the character. Shepard I was proud to control. Ryder was embarrassing most of the time.

13. You've go to be kidding me. Story, LOL

14. Exploration. Were if there was actually anything interesting to find during exploration. Sadly nothing of sorts. I've explored the whole star cluster only to find nothing but mineral deposits and yet more meaningless ship wreckages or satellites to scan. And the same goes for planet exploration. Nothing of interest to find. ME1 wih the bland terrains offered more surprises and felt more rewarding.

15. Coming from ME3, the combat is not really better. The AI actually seems worse. They don't use cover as efficiently, and they act completely irrationally. The combat is easier than in previous ones. And it just doesn't feel as rewarding when you beat remnants as it did to beat packs of regenerating vorcha and warren. Or the feeling when you shoot off the arms or legs of mechs. Here everything just point and shoot until hp reaches zero, no finesse, no satisfaction.

1. Nope, I think the Tempest is a terrible ship, and it's very classist. Which is ironic coming from a game with social justice ideals. The only person who has an actual cabin on the ship is the pathfinder, and it's fucking huge. It's not a cabin it's a loft or penthouse even. Completely unwarranted, while noone else not even the XO has an office. On the Normandy the captain's cabin was humbler by a very large margin. And even there I thought the SR2's cabin was a bit much.
    The rest of the crew only gets bunk beds in the common area, or try to use some cargo hold or other room as a living space, which is unfair to the crew IMO The Normandy has a proper mess hall, proper workstations for the crew on the bridge with seating. Here no seating, if the ride gets rought I guess they can hold on to their beds. No mess hall but a small one person space of a kitchen.
    And then there is a the huge unnecessary indulgence the meeting room, or dome or whatever that is. Which is completely useless you can just as well use the bridge for meetings for the crew size. Or even the penthouse. It's a waste of space, and has no functionality apart from the vidcon which could be at a number of other more convenient places.
    The engineering is a safety hazard, no way they can properly contain the drive core in the open like that.
    And don't get me started on the idea that they didn't even have the option of arming the ship. When you're venturing into the unknown the least you can do is be prepared to defend yourself, and not be at the mercy of whoever. I mean would the Enterprise in Star Trek go where no man has gone before without any kind of weapon? Hell no.

So overall the Tempest is a terrible ship. It might look sleek but in space functionality should be first. This looks like it was designed by a committee.

2. multiplayer does not count for me in a story driven SP game.

3. OK I'll give them this, it does look better than the previous games. But hey, five years later it better be. So this doesn't make it a better game either.

4. I had no problem with the way scanning was implemented in ME2 / ME3. It was better that way imo. more realistic even. You don't expect the first pathfinder to go down in the trenches and drop mining drones on actual deposits? Hell no that's just a job for the grunts. You find planets with potential rich resources from orbit and mark them with probes that's it. Which was the way in previous games.

5. It might have more missions but the overall quality of missions is not that good. I'd have preferred less with more attention to detail. As in every mission should be at the complexity of the loyalty missions. If that makes the game 30 hours instead of 70 be it. Noone complained that the previous games were only 30 hours long.

6. There is nothing new here the same kinds of choices were always there, but we still don't have story altering choices. And the same applied to romance as well, you didn't choose the right answer once then romance was off the table.

7. The loyatly missions were the only good side missions in the game. This still doesn't make this the best ME game. They just reached back and did something that worked in the past. And apart from these missions the crew is just background decoration that you have no real connection to. In Me2, the characters get some depth even before you go on their mission. Here I had zero connection to any character until after their loyalty missions.

8. Just bull fucking shit. There are no words how much I hated the new conversation system. It's more of a lottery than ever before. To know which response will be the one you're most OK with. It was actually better with the hints turned off so I could randomly stumble upon good comebacks from Ryder, because following logic never worked with the responses.
    With the paragon / renegade system at least you knew that choosing renegade will get the job done no matter the consequences, and paragon will also achieve a desirable outcome while still remaining morally superior. Here you have no clue what response will yield acceptable results and which in embarrassment.

9. Crafting and equipping different gear is not customization you moron. And you can actually create acceptable looking characters with the character creator, so wrong again.

10. I already explained why I hate profiles in my review won't repeat myself here. Short version: It takes away the heart of RPG specialization if you can switch classes on the fly whenever you want.

11. About the only character on the ship I liked was the pilot, Kallo.
    Cora: Worships the asari like some gods, her constant whining about how the asari pathfinder willl put everything right was annoying as hell, all the while they treated her like an outsider all along while she worked with them. Pathetic lack of self-confidence. At least she has hope for improvement, the rest are hopeless
    Liam: The broguy who tries way too hard to be friends with everyone, he's not just clumsy but irresponsible too.
    Jaal: He's like a spoiled child who goes sulking each time something doesn't go his way, really immature and annoying.
    Peebe: No class at all, childish, irresponsible, someone else will clean up after me kind. I want nothing to do with her.
    Gil: The poster guy for gays, who I think is a fake, only wants to be edgy. He just rubs me wrong, I always feared he'll stab me in the back for some reason.

12. I didn't know what to make of Ryder. I think the best I can say about him/her is that I've come to terms with the weaknesses by the end, but that doesn't mean I've grown to like the character. Shepard I was proud to control. Ryder was embarrassing most of the time.

13. You've go to be kidding me. Story, LOL

14. Exploration. Were if there was actually anything interesting to find during exploration. Sadly nothing of sorts. I've explored the whole star cluster only to find nothing but mineral deposits and yet more meaningless ship wreckages or satellites to scan. And the same goes for planet exploration. Nothing of interest to find. ME1 wih the bland terrains offered more surprises and felt more rewarding.

15. Coming from ME3, the combat is not really better. The AI actually seems worse. They don't use cover as efficiently, and they act completely irrationally. The combat is easier than in previous ones. And it just doesn't feel as rewarding when you beat remnants as it did to beat packs of regenerating vorcha and warren. Or the feeling when you shoot off the arms or legs of mechs. Here everything just point and shoot until hp reaches zero, no finesse, no satisfaction.

Jaal is like that because that is how his species is. If you're going to claim I am nitpicking for the overall story being underwhelming or mentioning how whiny the Patherfinder / crew are initially, then I'll nitpick your nitpicks. :p

Though I mostly agree with what you said. I didn't find the characters to be that bad. ME2 had a host of horrid characters (Jack, ect.) and some that were okay but so pointless (Thane). Peebe is annoying but that is her personality. Doesn't make her a bad character though. Gil didn't come off as a flamboyant gay, but my Ryder was female and he made plenty of advances. There was that awkward gay guy on the Nexus asking about Gil; he seemed to be there just to plug a gay person into the story.

I agree with point 14. Oddly, ME1's exploration was better. The Thresher Maws and some other unexpected things that I don't recall. ME:A had pretty vistas. But I found Voled to be bare and the second half of Eeos to be barren and pointless. Even on the other planets, you found nothing interesting. Just empty space and enemy camps. Even the terrian itself did not change much when it came to traversing. Also, respawning enemy camps. It was just like Far Cry 2. That one enemy camp on Kadara right next to the spawn point - it is always refilled with two fighting groups each time you get there. And the same damn drop ship keeps landing at the same time.

Tempest wise I agree to a point. I though Ryders room was too big and there was not enough bunks (but you do take on extra crew not anticipated - but still, not designed for excess capacity?). Aside from that, I thought it was fine. Lack of fire power was odd, but it was an exploration ship first and foremost.

Also going to agree with the conversations. Very few "paragon / renegade" actions to. Maybe 3-4 in the entire game? To top it off, the conversations just seem a bit more odd or scripted. Ryder asks a lot, but you just dart from question to question, often with simple responses. The conversations just seem to lack a natural flow. The other games had it to a point, but there are always interactions which are Q/A based. But ME:A seems to fall back onto that style when it isn't necessary with more frequency.

Well said.

multiplayer does not count for me in a story driven SP game.

I'm in agreement once again, that said in comparing ME:A to ME3, the multiplayer stacks up very well outside of balance and map variety, which are things that should improve over time.

1. OK I'll give them this, it does look better than the previous games. But hey, five years later it better be. So this doesn't make it a better game either.
This is a given which is why I didn't even bring it up.

1. I had no problem with the way scanning was implemented in ME2 / ME3. It was better that way imo. more realistic even. You don't expect the first pathfinder to go down in the trenches and drop mining drones on actual deposits? Hell no that's just a job for the grunts. You find planets with potential rich resources from orbit and mark them with probes that's it. Which was the way in previous games.
I'm sorry but planet scanning was lame as hell. I don't have a problem with marking a site via probe, but the way it was implemented felt very tedious. Gathering resources at all in that way is lame. In ME1, you simply marked things you discovered for mining later. That's effectively how it could have looked here, but dropping mining drones when something as small as an OmniTool can manufacturer stuff on the fly isn't unreasonable either.

1. It might have more missions but the overall quality of missions is not that good. I'd have preferred less with more attention to detail. As in every mission should be at the complexity of the loyalty missions. If that makes the game 30 hours instead of 70 be it. Noone complained that the previous games were only 30 hours long.
I can agree with this. Still, I think the more important missions were every bit the quality of previous games or better. The push to the end of the game for example was handled much better than in ME3.

1. There is nothing new here the same kinds of choices were always there, but we still don't have story altering choices. And the same applied to romance as well, you didn't choose the right answer once then romance was off the table.
The reality is that we don't know the potential outcome of the game's choices because we don't have the next installment of the game to see how any of our choices ultimately can or could play out. I will agree that the choices feel as though they carry little if any weight now, but ME1 was the same way without having played ME2 or ME3.

1. The loyatly missions were the only good side missions in the game. This still doesn't make this the best ME game. They just reached back and did something that worked in the past. And apart from these missions the crew is just background decoration that you have no real connection to. In Me2, the characters get some depth even before you go on their mission. Here I had zero connection to any character until after their loyalty missions.
I disagree. I think some of the side content was worth doing, even if it was simple. That said, I will agree that the loyalty missions were great. They never felt like side missions. As for the characters, they do have to grow on you in this game. Everyone in the original trilogy is larger than life and these characters, save for perhaps Drak aren't like that.

1. Just bull fucking shit. There are no words how much I hated the new conversation system. It's more of a lottery than ever before. To know which response will be the one you're most OK with. It was actually better with the hints turned off so I could randomly stumble upon good comebacks from Ryder, because following logic never worked with the responses.
We are going to have to agree to disagree here. I was able to determine the tone of the choice I was making from the text on that choice. I also liked the more ambiguous morality of the game. It's not as polarizing an experience as the variations can be more subtle. Now, I do think this could be improved on by giving us more choices that were clearly in line with Renegade / Paragon dynamics in their extreme opposition, but ultimately I was pretty satisfied with what we got. I realize that I seem to be in the minority on this one. So many people were unable to discern the tone or nature of the responses based on their selections. I simply didn't have that problem.

1. Crafting and equipping different gear is not customization you moron. And you can actually create acceptable looking characters with the character creator, so wrong again.
I agree with you here, though I'll say I liked the crafting system minus some issues with the menus. The character creator is a pain in the ass to work with. I realize you can make good looking characters out of it but its way harder to do than it should be. The presets are all awful as well.

1. I already explained why I hate profiles in my review won't repeat myself here. Short version: It takes away the heart of RPG specialization if you can switch classes on the fly whenever you want.
I like the concept of the profiles but felt their execution was clunky and even limiting to say the least. Having access to only three skills for each profile was a bad idea. As to the second part of your statement, I disagree. Tropes of the RPG genre aren't worth clinging to. I don't think that specialization in that way adds anything substantial to the game. RPG's should stand on their character's story, and gameplay. You can try and argue that the specialization in some way adds to the game play, but I disagree with that.

1. About the only character on the ship I liked was the pilot, Kallo.
My thoughts on each character:
Kallo: I liked him, I thought he was interesting as were his dynamics with other members of the crew.
Drack: Drack is the best new character in the game. I thought he would probably be some bland Wrex / Grunt combo or a copy of a previously seen Krogan but he was far more than that and very entertaining.
Cora: I agree with your sentiments about Cora. Her reverence for Ryder as the Pathfinder and constant whining or referencing to her not-so secret Asari crush were irritating. She has some genuinely good moments where this stuff doesn't happen but they are hard to miss given the plethora of awful moments that plague her interactions.
Vetra: She's not a ruthless merc. I'm not sure where you get that. Ultimately, I thought she was a DietFemGarrus at first but she turned out to be more than that. Now, she's not as interesting as some other characters but I think a good base is there. She's probably better developed than Garrus was in his first appearance.
Liam: Spot on assessment. Still, the humor and back and fourth with Ryder has genuinely entertaining moments and value.
Jaal: Stereotypical and formulaic outsider Alien who's more at home with random humans than his own people. He's a big disappointment to me despite the fact that he's handled well for being what he is. The cultural differences and how those were handled in conversation were well done. Even if they ultimately aren't the most interesting character interactions in Andromeda.
PeeBee: I think she's a fun character despite seemingly being created to be Liara's evil twin. Shorter, less pretty, smaller boobs, same occupation, race, and polar opposite personality.
Suvi: Fair assessment. I found her interactions difficult to get through and on my NG+ I spacebar everything she says.
Gil: Turns out he's a homo that's not really a homo. He's got a crush on a girl which was odd to listen to. I think he's supposed to be some sort of statement about gender identity or pansexuality or some other shit I don't care about.
Lexi: I couldn't agree more.

1. I didn't know what to make of Ryder. I think the best I can say about him/her is that I've come to terms with the weaknesses by the end, but that doesn't mean I've grown to like the character. Shepard I was proud to control. Ryder was embarrassing most of the time.
I'm equally confused about him. I think this can vary somewhat based on how he's played. If you play him more defiantly, and more sarcastically he can have a definite personality. One that I actually like as it strangely resembles me a lot of the time. That said, I can see how this would be hard to achieve if you really can't get the gist of the conversation options down and play it accordingly.

1. You've go to be kidding me. Story, LOL
Here is where I disagree with you, and the author of that opinion piece. There is a story here but we can't evaluate it as a whole because we don't have all the parts for it. Sadly, we may never have them all if BioWare/EA shelve the franchise. The story was better than ME3's and arguably ME2's. That said, presentation and characters made those earlier games what they were and this game is lacking in those areas comparatively.

1. Exploration. Were if there was actually anything interesting to find during exploration. Sadly nothing of sorts. I've explored the whole star cluster only to find nothing but mineral deposits and yet more meaningless ship wreckages or satellites to scan. And the same goes for planet exploration. Nothing of interest to find. ME1 wih the bland terrains offered more surprises and felt more rewarding.
I've had conversations about this with many people who champion open world games as being better by virtue of being open world alone. People often talk about hours and hours of exploration and how interesting it is despite not being able to point to anything they've found that wasn't just a filler or waste of time. There are camps and things to find, but rarely does going to the far reaches of the game's boundaries yield any fruit or payoff for going there. I've found this to be a common issue with open world games.

1. Coming from ME3, the combat is not really better. The AI actually seems worse. They don't use cover as efficiently, and they act completely irrationally. The combat is easier than in previous ones. And it just doesn't feel as rewarding when you beat remnants as it did to beat packs of regenerating vorcha and warren. Or the feeling when you shoot off the arms or legs of mechs. Here everything just point and shoot until hp reaches zero, no finesse, no satisfaction.
I disagree. The combat is generally better and more variable for the player. The cover system is more intuitive and less intrusive. I will agree with you in that the AI isn't better, but it does do certain things such as flanking better.

Back