Mass Effect: Andromeda

I think there was a conscious decision made to go with the character models the way they are (other than animations maybe). Someone at Bioware/EA must actually like the semi-cartoony "artsy" models. Compare even the old 10 year old ME1 human models to the ME:A ones, and the ME:A ones look just pitiful by comparison. When I went back and looked at the ME1 models again, I said screw it and canceled my preorder. Yeah, the game will probably still be fun, but there's zero excuse for the ugly models and crappy animation with 5 years between ME3 and ME:A. I have many hundreds of hours into the first 3 games, over 300 showing on ME2 alone. I just can't see rewarding Bioware and EA for what they've done in those past 5 years. I'm going to play ME1 through ME3 again instead. Think I'll try the MEHEM ME3 mod this time.

Last edited:
Resolution scale is Super Sampling AA. It will buckle your PC if you turn it up too much.

Maxed out at 4K. I can see why you were getting 5FPS.

Resolution scale is Super Sampling AA. It will buckle your PC if you turn it up too much.

Maxed out at 4K. I can see why you were getting 5FPS.

That's a weird thing to call it. At 1.00 it looks amazing but I take a performance hit everywhere but multiplayer. In the MP game the maps are small enough that my machine can handle it. I'm not sure that's what the setting really is though. The settings are things like 720P, 1080P etc. I think it might render the game at a lower resolution and then scale it to fit your monitor. That would explain why everything looked like it wasn't at a native resolution and why FXAA looked so bad. At 1.00 the game appears to be sharp and looking like it should. Unfortunately, I take a big hit doing that at 4K. It's playable everywhere (not 60FPS smooth) but that desert planet. On that world I get 25-35FPS.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/17/battlefield_4_video_card_performance_iq_review/6

Brent explains it in the BF4 review. "Moving on to the newest and most significant configuration addition to Battlefield 4, we look at resolution scale which is simply an implementation of Super Sample Anti-Aliasing (SSAA)."

You can turn off AA. and turn up resolution scale. To me thats the best AA and looks so badass.

Too bad my 980ti can't handle it in this game. I usually run it on BF1 around 130%

giphy.gif

That's just hideous (both character models, the animation and the gun screwup). I just can't give Bioware/EA my $$ for something like that, it's a matter of principle. WTH were they thinking?? I don't care how great the game might be otherwise, just pitiful.

Damn. That looks horrible. Wtf is going on with ea? Looks like I did the coding on the animation and designed the character models. I can't code BTW. Wow. That makeup too. Just yeah. If there is lots of talking and I have to look at that? Damn. Disappointing to say the least. Sad about this.

Last edited:
The bullshit character models and art style have me shocked that someone actually signed off on this game at Bioware. How the hell could anyone look at this and think it looks good???? The people look absolutely hideous!!! What the hell. I am so sad that I paid money for this bullshit.

All of the good talent left in the years after EA acquisition. Now they were taking too long to finish the game and EA forced them to rush it out.

Rofl, some of these animations look like they belong in a steam early access game!

ExcellentThickAsianpiedstarling.gif

UnlinedFelineHorsechestnutleafminer.gif

U6qGkiX.gif

5qOu2Zd

Shrubs literally grow in front of your eyes...

source.gif

The shrub thing is not something that happens on my system. Not that I've seen anyway.

The bullshit character models and art style have me shocked that someone actually signed off on this game at Bioware. How the hell could anyone look at this and think it looks good???? The people look absolutely hideous!!! What the hell. I am so sad that I paid money for this bullshit.

I'm getting mine refunded on release day & then I'll hunt down another new game to play.

The shrub thing is not something that happens on my system. Not that I've seen anyway.

I've seen some popping, but also experienced longer load times while running off an old spinner. I've since moved the game (and symlinked back) to an SSD, which may alleviate some of this.

I've seen some popping, but also experienced longer load times while running off an old spinner. I've since moved the game (and symlinked back) to an SSD, which may alleviate some of this.

I run the game off my Intel SSD 750 1.2TB drive. Load times are virtually non-existent.

So the Game play is good?
In the comic book field if you don't like someone's Art you write to Marvel Image or DC comics hoping they change the artist next month.

Last edited:
Rofl, some of these animations look like they belong in a steam early access game!

U6qGkiX.gif

5qOu2Zd

source.gif

Hilarious!

I'm getting mine refunded on release day & then I'll hunt down another new game to play.

Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 is consuming all my time. Worthy game to consider.

I run the game off my Intel SSD 750 1.2TB drive. Load times are virtually non-existent.

How's SLI usage?

Super excited for next week. Game looks awesome. None of the art style bothers me at all, I'm more of a "read subtitles and cruise through dialogues so I can get back to the action" guy anyways.

I can say that the gameplay and fighting are fun. The art style for the worlds is beautiful too. It's just the human character models and glitchy movement that sucks. It's shockingly bad.

I can say that the gameplay and fighting are fun. The art style for the worlds is beautiful too. It's just the human character models and glitchy movement that sucks. It's shockingly bad.

And that really sums up the game's visuals nicely. It's one of the most gorgeous game ever made but falls short whenever you see a human who isn't in their armor. The Asari chick above seems to have ok facial animation (better than most anyway) but her movements are so badly out of sync its comical. She reminds me of those old Kung-Fu movies with the bad English dubbing.

Last edited:
ROFL, how did this even pass the first QA testing? Those kind of animations aren't something that should show up even in a beta. I can forgive an occasional glitch to occur but it's blatantly obvious especially the walk/run stuff.

lol I know. I'm so conflicted because I love the ME games so I will keep playing. I just can't understand how they ever passed this game through QA

I have to admit that this doesn't look good. I eventually learned to live with the horrible animations and lip-syncing in Mankind Divided, but Mass Effect is built on having tons of conversations and personal interactions. The art style doesn't bother me as much as the animation.
Hopefully there are some mods that can change enough of these things enough to "fix" it.

U6qGkiX.gif

5qOu2Zd

source.gif

Wow... I mean, just fucking wow!!! I've been giving the game the benefit of the doubt, but I believe that time has passed. Will be downloading in a couple hours. Gotta see this for myself before passing final judgment. But, it don't be lookin' good.

On a positive note, because I'm a positive kinda guy, it looks like I won't need to invest in a 1080 Ti for MEA. If I'm going to spend a lot of $$ on a GPU, it'll be for a game that deserves it.

Wow... I mean, just fucking wow!!! I've been giving the game the benefit of the doubt, but I believe that time has passed. Will be downloading in a couple hours. Gotta see this for myself before passing final judgment. But, it don't be lookin' good.
Same here, this is just plain unacceptable. What were they thinking? I mean who was it that looked at this and said "this will be our masterpiece"?
Time for another directors cut. But this time they need to fix animations.

I was watching AngryJoe stream it last night and much of the dialog was just plain awful. That's worse than the glitchy animations IMO.

I was watching AngryJoe stream it last night and much of the dialog was just plain awful. That's worse than the glitchy animations IMO.
I bet that the dialogue feels much worse thanks to the glaring animation issues and lifeless plastic eyes. It feels like the animations barely match the dialogue (in the videos that I've seen).

Same here, this is just plain unacceptable. What were they thinking? I mean who was it that looked at this and said "this will be our masterpiece"?
Time for another directors cut. But this time they need to fix animations.

And replace the faces please.

I bet that the dialogue feels much worse thanks to the glaring animation issues and lifeless plastic eyes. It feels like the animations barely match the dialogue (in the videos that I've seen).

Some dialog is cringe worthy. I'll give you that. Most of it is on par with the rest of the series so far.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Some dialog is cringe worthy. I'll give you that. Most of it is on par with the rest of the series so far.

Right. Inconsistent writing and dialog is nothing new to this series, either. Or any Bioware game or frankly the bulk of videogames in general if we get down to it.

FemShephard to Garrus: "I'll test your flexibility" in some of the worst innuendo ever attempted.

Are you kidding me? Who should have gotten shot for that line?

Inconistent writing, dialog, animations...nothing new.

Not making any excuses but I really can't get over how disproportionately shrill and over the top some of the criticisms are although I guess I should be used to it by now.

I've had a good laugh at some of the kneejerking and shrill reactions. No kidding, the animations aren't from Pixar! No kidding, the second coming of Shakespeare did not do the writing!

Hell, we can still have meltdowns and pissing contests over ME3's original ending even now. Amazing.

Last edited:
Back