Mass Effect 3 Discussion Thread

Like the story, hate the feel.

The FOV makes my head spin, mouse felt shitty and imprecise in this game.

If you go through the demo thread for ME3 in the other forum, you'll see we've been able to modify the game files just like ME2 (though it is harder in ME3) and change things like FOV, visual settings, ammo, armor, etc.

The downside is we may never be able to use it if EA is using Origin to check the game files for modifications and banning for it.

The reason I suspect this is that modding any of the game files affects both SP and MP, and I dont think they're going to want people to simply walk through all the MP with unlimited ammo and inifinite shields (which can be done atm).

Only time will tell, but if they arent file checking, FOV is one of the easiest things to modify atm.

Yeah there's no major improvement in the graphics/sound department, not to mention the feel of the game and shooting mechanics. All of those areas were vastly changed between ME1 and ME2. But like you say, being just like ME2 is anything but a deal breaker.

I seem to be having problems breaking from cover effectively. When I do I tend to roll into another barricade and not do what was intended. Seems a bit more sluggish and I'm not sure why.

Only played the single player at this point but man, it was awesome watching the result of the dreadnaught being destroyed in low atmosphere. And the end of the initial story break when Shep is leaving was harsh. Those Reapers sure are bastards

Well I am glad to hear that the FOV can be changed easily. But if they set it like you mentioned where everything is in one file, that's just dumb on all counts. And if they set it where they will ban people because they alter the file, then they can go fuck themselves. Low FOV means no sale to me, even if it's Mass Effect. I am done and done with scrub low FOV in games. I am a PC gamer, I don't have a scrub 19" 4:3 TV set, and I am getting tired of lazy devs not doing standard things for the PC like every other competent PC game on the market: adjustable FOV and other graphics settings.

Having said that, and to give weight to my point above:

Every single game developer needs to watch this from beginning to end. There is no excuse for ANY game to have a scrub 60 degree FOV in this day and age of WIDESCREEN monitors.

TotalBuscuit shows the devs that they are liars and blatant bullshitters in regards to the "reasons" why they have low FOV.

TotalBuscuit ftw.

Every single game developer needs to watch this from beginning to end. There is no excuse for ANY game to have a scrub 60 degree FOV in this day and age of WIDESCREEN monitors.

TotalBuscuit shows the devs that they are liars and blatant bullshitters in regards to the "reasons" why they have low FOV.

TotalBuscuit ftw.

Generally speaking, those are the same kinds of BS talking points and excuses we always hear when it comes to PC versions of games that were made for primarily with the consoles in mind.

Good for Total Biscuit. It's ALL BS.

Generally speaking, those are the same kinds of BS talking points and excuses we always hear when it comes to PC versions of games that were made for primarily with the consoles in mind.

Good for Total Biscuit. It's ALL BS.

I love it when he just anal rapes the entire argument from the community liaison (shes not a rep if she only argues from the devs POV) that the demon arms can't be done in a wider FOV and he then goes to show that is the most bullshit argument anyone can make. Locked FOV is total bullshit from every perspective. There is no reason for FOV being locked at all. Design your shitty games right. Sorry for sidetracking the OP, but this is a major flaw in an otherwise "must buy" game. And it's a game killer for a lot of us.

For some reason I was never bothered by Mass Effects small FOV, propably because its in 3rd person. But otherwise yeah, the squashed FOV is bullshit.

I love it when he just anal rapes the entire argument from the community liaison (shes not a rep if she only argues from the devs POV) that the demon arms can't be done in a wider FOV and he then goes to show that is the most bullshit argument anyone can make. Locked FOV is total bullshit from every perspective. There is no reason for FOV being locked at all. Design your shitty games right. Sorry for sidetracking the OP, but this is a major flaw in an otherwise "must buy" game. And it's a game killer for a lot of us.

2KElizabeth is entirely useless when it comes to answering questions. She failed completely on every possible level when Bioshock 2 released. She was alright with liaising with Bioshock 1, but not great. It fell mostly to actual developers answering questions.

For some reason I was never bothered by Mass Effects small FOV, propably because its in 3rd person. But otherwise yeah, the squashed FOV is bullshit.
Well 1st person or 3rd person... there's a right way to do things and wrong way to do things. Just compare the perspective in ME to that in ME3:

gameplay.jpg

MassEffect3Demo-2012-02-14-19-55-58-16.jpg

Probably the same reason they opted not to support controllers, they figured the amount of PC gamers who care enough about FOV to actually not buy the game wasn't worth the minimal amount of work necessary to include it. TotalBisquit has it right, unless you all commit not to buy the game (as he has with Darkness II) to the extent that it affects their profits measurably, don't expect them to change their ways.

Well 1st person or 3rd person... there's a right way to do things and wrong way to do things. Just compare the perspective in ME to that in ME3:

gameplay.jpg

MassEffect3Demo-2012-02-14-19-55-58-16.jpg

Holy crap that looks cramped! :eek: I reaaally hope EA allows us to fix that. My memory fails me now but did ME2 have as small FOV as ME3 seems to have?

Last edited:
I finished all the DLC for ME2 over the long weekend. Shadow Broker is probably the best, and it probably represents the best value considering its length and added features. Overlord was damn fun, though I wish it were longer and had omitted that intolerable firewalker POS. Arrival is almost requisite for what it adds to the storyline, though I felt it rather tedious and awkward played without squad mates. Overall, I'd rate Arrival -- in terms of fun -- last, even behind Kasumi's loyalty quest.

I wonder how ME3 will incorporate ME2's DLC. The Shadow Broker's ship was pretty awesome; I hope it makes a return. I also wonder if Kasumi and Zaeed will be present in ME3.

Last edited:
Which is the DLC where you had to fight a high-powered Asari in a (final?) boss battle?

Which is the DLC where you had to fight a high-powered Asari in a (final?) boss battle?

Lair of the Shadow Broker. She's not actually a final boss, but she's arguably tougher than the Shadow Broker himself.

Ah then yes, that's also my favorite DLC. Is that the same one where you start off at a dinner party?

Some days I wonder if EA does stuff like this just to make people to be mad at them.

EA can live with people being mad if the number of dollars they receive increases rather than decreases. For all the complaining about DLC and other money-making schemes, people still buy it.

As the saying goes, vote with your wallet... but don't be surprised when you lose that vote.

EA can live with people being mad if the number of dollars they receive increases rather than decreases. For all the complaining about DLC and other money-making schemes, people still buy it.

As the saying goes, vote with your wallet... but don't be surprised when you lose that vote.
Doesn't really matter to me what the mob does. I was just about to preorder the regular edition yesterday even though funds are tight. But with this move, I'm just gonna wait until I can get the entire game for $50. I'll probably wait until they release the other inevitable non-vital (read vital) DLC additions to the main storyline.

Anyone notice how EA mysteriously canceled its "preorder ME3 and get BF3" promotion which was supposed to last till March?

Holy crap that looks cramped! :eek: I reaaally hope EA allows us to fix that. My memory fails me now but did ME2 have as small FOV as ME3 seems to have?

No. The FOV was a bit wider in ME2.

Doesn't really matter to me what the mob does. I was just about to preorder the regular edition yesterday even though funds are tight. But with this move, I'm just gonna wait until I can get the entire game for $50. I'll probably wait until they release the other inevitable non-vital (read vital) DLC additions to the main storyline.

They've never released a copy of ME2 yet with all the DLC contained in it, so if you're going to wait for a version of ME3 like that, I wouldn't hold your breath.

They have no incentive to do a "complete" package when they make far more money keeping it all seperate.

They've never released a copy of ME2 yet with all the DLC contained in it, so if you're going to wait for a version of ME3 like that, I wouldn't hold your breath.

They have no incentive to do a "complete" package when they make far more money keeping it all seperate.

It means he'll be waiting for the basic game to hit ~$20, and then he'll have to buy all the DLC separately and at full price, like you say.

It means he'll be waiting for the basic game to hit ~$20, and then he'll have to buy all the DLC separately and at full price, like you say.

Ah, then he may not wait quite as long, but it'll be a while before it hits around $20 I bet, esp with the way EA likes to price stuff. We can hope though.

I do expect EA to dump out DLC like a machine gun spits out bullets to milk as much out of the game as they can. I'll be amazed if they don't put out at least double the amount of DLC that they did for ME2. Visual packs alone are quick and easy to pump out and they sell like crazy for easy money.

Essentially... though I really don't mind buying DLC missions that are actually genuinely new content. I do have a problem paying for something that was clearly finished and withheld from the main game to make more money.

I suspect that at some point this summer I'll be able to buy it for $30-35, which is fine with me.

I have to replay ME2 twice before the 6th. Lost my complete ME2 save for my renshep and I started a new ParaShep from ME1. I'm using the space bar so much during conversations.

I have to replay ME2 twice before the 6th. Lost my complete ME2 save for my renshep and I started a new ParaShep from ME1. I'm using the space bar so much during conversations.

I was doing this a week or two ago. Just for fun, I pressed "investigate" for a change, and some blue chick asked Miranda during her loyalty quest something like, "Does Cerberus really let you whore around in that outfit?" LOL, I hadn't remembered that line from my first playthrough.

No. The FOV was a bit wider in ME2.

As far as I can tell they're both FOV=70. I've bound keys to 70/80/90, and when I set 70 I see no change at all from default in either ME2 or ME3. On my 4:3 CRT I prefer playing ME3 at FOV=80, but I find 70 tolerable. I've been playing ME2 a lot lately, so I've likely just gotten used to ME's normal FOV.

I am starting to think the same thing, if EA/Bioware are intent on nickel and diming me with plot relevant DLC as soon as the game is released then I am more than happy to cancel my preorder and pick up the game when its on sale for $10.

I am in no hurry to play ME 3 and in any event possess such a massive back log of AAA games that I will be more than occupied in the mean time.

Back