Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered (PC)

I hope they don't, but I can see it. Sony is a big developer/publisher, and have strong must have titles. They're also a lot bigger than a gaming company so can probably afford it. I would much prefer if they just continued to use Steam.

Valve refuses to lower their 30% cut even though they could more than afford to do so, this is the result. Valve themself is the driving force of the fragmentation of launchers on the PC platform. Which isn't necessarily exactly a bad thing, as history has shown over and over one company should never have an effective monopoly.

Valve refuses to lower their 30% cut even though they could more than afford to do so, this is the result. Valve themself is the driving force of the fragmentation of launchers on the PC platform. Which isn't necessarily exactly a bad thing, as history has shown over and over one company should never have an effective monopoly.
Valve lowered their cut for big sellers years ago....

Steam has become the defacto standard because no other store is even close to it in features. The other launchers are either mediocre at best (Origin, Xbox Gamepass, Galaxy) or complete and utter garbage (Uplay, Windows Store, Rockstar's thing, EGS). Add in features that it has helped to pioneer and it's easy to see why customers go there. A handful of companies have even brought their games back to Steam after running their own stores/launchers so it must be a pretty decent deal.

As to Spider-man. I've put 8 hours into it and I think I'd give it a 6/10 at this point. Graphics are nice, sound is nice, the city looks nice but suffers a lot from being filled with monotonous chores. I already feel like I've seen and done everything there is to do as slowly crawling around buildings looking for backpacks, taking photos, chasing birds, and fighting dudes in the same looking construction sites seems to be the majority of the game. Web slinging through the city is enjoyable for a bit but fast travel is better. As is common with Superhero stuff the power level is all over the place; Spider-man is simultaneously strong enough to hold up a crumbling building but weak enough that lifting one side of a car is hard. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and it's not really challenged me yet. I'm going to try to finish it but IMO it's kind of a mid-tier game and not even fit to sniff the butt of the top dogs like God of War and Elden Ring. As for comic-based games I'd rate it as Arkham Asylum <<<<<< X-Men arcade < Guardians of the Galaxy < this Spider-Man < Everything else.

Last edited:
Valve lowered their cut for big sellers years ago....
Only for copies sold past 10million dollars right ? ie only for the big pubs who don't need the assistance. How about they throw a bone for the indies and doubleA's that are actually trying to be experimental and original and artistic with their games, rather than releasing "Ubisoft Open World game #373".

For 99.999% of game developers, Valve did NOT lower their cut in any way shape or form. Valve is absolutely providing an amazing service, but taking advantage of their 'effective monopoly' to not reduce their cut to something more reasonable is why other pubs will make attempts at their own launcher. Sure they might fail and come running back, but its why they try in the first place.

I remember when portal 2 came out on the ps3, they had the ability to sign into steam and get it on your pc too. That's as far as they went, it coulda been a great pairing, incorporating both steam and PlayStation. Nothing ever came of it though, probably because they couldn't settle on a deal.
They're both corporations and both greedy, so if Sony makes a launcher, will they do better than steam and charge less to attract more devs?

As to Spider-man. I've put 8 hours into it and I think I'd give it a 6/10 at this point. Graphics are nice, sound is nice, the city looks nice but suffers a lot from being filled with monotonous chores. I already feel like I've seen and done everything there is to do as slowly crawling around buildings looking for backpacks, taking photos, chasing birds, and fighting dudes in the same looking construction sites seems to be the majority of the game. Web slinging through the city is enjoyable for a bit but fast travel is better. As is common with Superhero stuff the power level is all over the place; Spider-man is simultaneously strong enough to hold up a crumbling building but weak enough that lifting one side of a car is hard. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and it's not really challenged me yet. I'm going to try to finish it but IMO it's kind of a mid-tier game and not even fit to sniff the butt of the top dogs like God of War and Elden Ring. As for comic-based games I'd rate it as Arkham Asylum <<<<<< X-Men arcade < Guardians of the Galaxy < this Spider-Man < Everything else.

Was waiting for someone to post actual gameplay thoughts and not just graphics. Looks like I'm waiting for a deep sale on this one. Suspected it was all graphics and not a good story with copy/paste side content.

I'd rate the guardians game over this game, personally. Although the guardians game isn't really an open-world experience. However, that's why I think it's a better game. It's more focused.

Was waiting for someone to post actual gameplay thoughts and not just graphics. Looks like I'm waiting for a deep sale on this one. Suspected it was all graphics and not a good story with copy/paste side content.

The story is amazing. Gameplay is a ton of fun as well, but yes it can get repetitive if you try to do everything. I wouldn’t call all the side stuff copy/pasted but it is an open world game with some of the same open world problems. The game wouldn’t be as popular as it is if it was all flash and no substance.

I'd rate the guardians game over this game, personally. Although the guardians game isn't really an open-world experience. However, that's why I think it's a better game. It's more focused.
Ha! I guess I put it all backwards. I'd put Guardians just above this; I agree that it's more focused and therefore a better experience. Same with Arkham Asylum.

I may end up feeling that way too, I will play Spider Man eventually. Probably will be the next game I play.

The story is amazing. Gameplay is a ton of fun as well, but yes it can get repetitive if you try to do everything. I wouldn’t call all the side stuff copy/pasted but it is an open world game with some of the same open world problems. The game wouldn’t be as popular as it is if it was all flash and no substance.
I think I'm at a 5/10 now. My opinion of it has gone down for every hour I play. Personally I find the story to be not great so far. I just unlocked the Black Cat sidequests and was so bored of it during the first one that I quit afterwords. So far there have been 2 camera minigames; the location one which is <Travel Here, Press Up, Left Trigger, Right Trigger> and the Black Cat one which is <Travel Here, Press Up, Look for the thing, Left Trigger, Right Trigger>. The camera minigame was done better in Lego City Undercover. Combat seems interesting at first but ends up with you doing the same few moves on every single enemy. Sure there are tougher enemies but they're generally just "Press R1 three times before you start your combo". Two hours ago I wanted to finish it; now I don't know if I care enough to. Wait for a sale unless you're a huge Spiderman fan IMO.

Nah, they just realize there is more money. They won't ditch the console though. You'd never catch a traditional Japanese company like that getting in a situation where they are dependent on a western company like Microsoft for their primary platform.
Sony Interactive Entertainment is run by California and has been since 2016. Sony Corporation may still be a Japanese company, but SIE is almost wholly American now.

Sony Interactive Entertainment is run by California and has been since 2016. Sony Corporation may still be a Japanese company, but SIE is almost wholly American now.
Which ultimately falls under Sony... I see what you're saying, but I doubt they are making massive decisions like that independent from the mothership.

At least for the high FPS junkies, I think using the dynamic resolution scaling option is pretty fantastic. It's as smooth as butter and even toggling it off and on I'm not noticing a difference in fidelity. It seems to totally eliminate those little micro-hitches when swinging totally across town.

I value image quality over frame rates...ray-tracing and every graphical setting maxed out (1440p)...as long as I'm getting 70+ fps I'm fine...I have a 144hz G-Sync display so that helps as well

I value image quality over frame rates...ray-tracing and every graphical setting maxed out (1440p)...as long as I'm getting 70+ fps I'm fine...I have a 144hz G-Sync display so that helps as well

sounds like you value both image and fps otherwise youd be fine with 30fps and gsync probably isnt doing anything if your fps is that low. unles it has an 80fps range...

At least for the high FPS junkies, I think using the dynamic resolution scaling option is pretty fantastic. It's as smooth as butter and even toggling it off and on I'm not noticing a difference in fidelity. It seems to totally eliminate those little micro-hitches when swinging totally across town.

i hope its smoother than all the vids im seeing, they look 30fps-ish.

You can set it to whatever value you want. I think there are 7-8 choices (it might be dependent on your monitor), but you can choose at least 30, 45, 60, 80, 90, 100, and 120fps. 60 and 120 are the only settings I've messed with and they look great, but I imagine YMMV if you're rocking really old hardware and telling it to push 120+ fps.

sounds like you value both image and fps otherwise youd be fine with 30fps and gsync probably isnt doing anything if your fps is that low. unles it has an 80fps range...

no...I value image quality over frames...I was using the 70 number as an example not an exact figure...there's not a noticeable difference once you get past a certain FPS but you'll always notice the lower image quality, AA etc...

Last edited:

My floor is 50 FPS with G-SYNC. When the framerate starts to drop under that is when the low FPS becomes too noticeable. I've always tried to aim for an average of 70-80 FPS since first getting a G-SYNC monitor if a higher framerate isn't achievable with my desired quality settings.

I used to be "60 or nothing." Once I got a TV that could do 120fps, I find myself wanting more. I will say that I can only barely see a difference once things go over 80, though. The difference between 100 and 120 is minimal if I can see a difference at all. I can (obviously) see differences between 100 and 240 but it takes a huge jump like that to truly be noticeable. Plus, almost nothing modern can pull FPS like that. Well, that and my TV can't do it anyway. My friend's son has a monitor that can, and only ancient games can actually take advantage.

Detailed settings vary with me. At 4K, I don't think AA matters all that much to me anymore. Shadows? Couldn't care less most of the time - just as long as they're there. Clouds? Not unless it's a flight simulator. Just give me cranked object detail and detail settings that revolve around what I'm going to be seeing most of the time. If a detail setting ever causes major dips in my FPS (even with gsync), that's getting turned down/off.

New patch.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1817070/view/3365897960936503355

Release Notes
  • Fixed various ray-tracing related crashes.
  • Improved Windows version check, to prevent false positives.
  • Visual improvements to HBAO+.
  • Fixed the issue where ray-traced reflections in stainless steel were rendered distorted.
  • Various visual improvements to NVIDIA DLSS.
  • Fixed an issue that could freeze the game if the player would switch between graphics presets during cut-scenes.
  • Fixed an issue where the Side Mission popups would be stretched when playing in a widescreen resolution.
  • Improvements related to stability issues when using Alt-Tab.
  • Fixed various visual glitches.
Known Issues
  • Ray-tracing options may be unavailable in the menu, even with compatible hardware. Ray-tracing is disabled when hardware or drivers are not compatible, or when the DirectX 12 Agility SDK is not functional. We have seen some reports of users that indicate this SDK is not working for them. We are investigating this issue.
  • Some players cannot progress during the Spider-Hack Mission. This is a frame rate related bug that only occurs when well above 60 FPS. While we work on a fix, we have a workaround in place. Restart the latest checkpoint, go to the Graphics Menu, set the game to Exclusive Fullscreen and the Refresh Rate to 60Hz. You should now be able to progress. Afterwards you can switch back to your preferred settings.
  • Some players cannot take a picture of the Empire State Building. Some players have reported being unable to take a photo of the Empire State Building, blocking progression. So far, we have only been able to reproduce this on Intel GPUs. Intel is investigating this issue.

I'm hearing this more and more from people who are playing this on PC...I'm not sure why it got such amazing reviews on console...maybe people have been clamoring for a good Spider Man game for so long that anything resembling a decent game gets graded higher

I'm hearing this more and more from people who are playing this on PC...I'm not sure why it got such amazing reviews on console...maybe people have been clamoring for a good Spider Man game for so long that anything resembling a decent game gets graded higher
The reaction was pretty much the same with God of War, where it was lower than console. The only one where I think it had a better reaction on PC was Days Gone, and it was about the same with Horizon.

Also made by Insomniac, and a PlayStation exclusive. The game was basically designed to be over-hyped.

The reaction was pretty much the same with God of War, where it was lower than console. The only one where I think it had a better reaction on PC was Days Gone, and it was about the same with Horizon.

weird that in terms of prestige Days Gone was the worst of the Sony PS ports but seemed to get much better reviews on PC

New patch.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1817070/view/3365897960936503355

Release Notes
  • Fixed various ray-tracing related crashes.
  • Improved Windows version check, to prevent false positives.
  • Visual improvements to HBAO+.
  • Fixed the issue where ray-traced reflections in stainless steel were rendered distorted.
  • Various visual improvements to NVIDIA DLSS.
  • Fixed an issue that could freeze the game if the player would switch between graphics presets during cut-scenes.
  • Fixed an issue where the Side Mission popups would be stretched when playing in a widescreen resolution.
  • Improvements related to stability issues when using Alt-Tab.
  • Fixed various visual glitches

great news...I was waiting for HBAO+ to be fixed before jumping in...looks like they fixed a bunch of other bugs related to graphics as well...can anyone confirm that HBAO+ is now working?

looks like the Steam forums made some changes to who can post...

"Posting privileges: Only players who own Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered are allowed to post in this forum"

does this new rule apply to all games?...I think it's a good move...prevents people who haven't played the game from trolling the boards

Tough to tell about HBAO+. Some people are posting that it's okay (but still not perfect) and others are saying it's still a mess. I won't be able to try it out until later.

Also people who own the game on Epic...

yeah it's good in one way but it also locks out people who legitimately want to know things about the game before buying (like me)...I had posted a question about HBAO+ a few days ago and went back today after news about the patch came out but was locked out of my own thread because I hadn't bought the game

yeah it's good in one way but it also locks out people who legitimately want to know things about the game before buying (like me)...I had posted a question about HBAO+ a few days ago and went back today after news about the patch came out but was locked out of my own thread because I hadn't bought the game
It's unfortunate, but too many of the game forums on Steam get brigaded constantly by people who have some kind of vendetta against said game. For those who bought the game on Epic, you should be pushing them to add forums to discuss the game on your platform of choice. Turns out being able to discuss the game on your storefront actually is a boon, isn't it?

I had a couple minutes to try out HBAO+ and it does seem to be working now. There are definitely shadows appearing under things where there weren't before. I'd say they're understated and less ever-present vs. SSAO, but they're there. Might be a preference thing or it might only be half fixed.

looks like the Steam forums made some changes to who can post...

"Posting privileges: Only players who own Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered are allowed to post in this forum"

does this new rule apply to all games?...I think it's a good move...prevents people who haven't played the game from trolling the boards
I think it's a terrible policy. I have had to use steam forums several times to get in touch with developers about games from GoG because their devs don't check the GoG forums at all because they are too busy on steam forums.

weird that in terms of prestige Days Gone was the worst of the Sony PS ports but seemed to get much better reviews on PC

Yeah I find that interesting. It honestly had a fairly compelling story. It had some typical open world shortcomings, but that can be said for probably half of all SP games these days.

I think console gamers in general just have lower standards. Generally they cater to more casual gamers and they lack to genre diversity that you find on PC. So I do believe their available sample size is a bit smaller so they have less to reference and compare to.

God of War was an okay game. But the reviews it got were so abnormally high. That it got so many 9s and 10s is just crazy. It was a 7-8 at best.

I had a couple minutes to try out HBAO+ and it does seem to be working now. There are definitely shadows appearing under things where there weren't before. I'd say they're understated and less ever-present vs. SSAO, but they're there. Might be a preference thing or it might only be half fixed.
If HBAO is working properly then there won't be hard lines separating shadows in a darkened area like there is with SSAO. Sounds like working as intended, but I'll check it out tonight.

Back