Mantle is here

From The Tech Report

So anyone who already has a fast CPU and/or is playing at high resolution wont see much more than a 2% increase in performance... ok then.

At least with a single GPU. I wonder what kind of gains someone running 2,3 or 4 way crossfire setups could see, as even a decent CPU will start to become the bottleneck at that point.

adding additonal GPUs furthur constrains your CPU, regarless of how powerful it is.

So, back to good uplift again.

20% of 200fps is only get you to 240fps.

lol

From The Tech Report

So anyone who already has a fast CPU and/or is playing at high resolution wont see much more than a 2% increase in performance... ok then.

that's what I was saying earlier...I currently have a 6 core CPU + GTX 580 (1920 x 1200)...the 580 is not the highest end GPU today but Mantle will be basically useless for me...and when I upgrade to Maxwell (or AMD's next refresh) then it'll be even more useless

man, are the drivers out yet? ... going home and downloading the SS demo :)

Why is it that they're pairing awesome GPU with meh CPU - and meh GPU with awesome CPU? Why not do an apples to apples and only change 1 variable at a time?

We will see what happens when Mantle and the driver are in the hands of unbiased or semi-unbiased reviewers. Until then who truly knows what Mantle will do in BF4. DICE has a tendency to use marketing fluff when discussing BF4 and the tech in it; so I will take their numbers with a grain of salt.

However, to quote Stan Grossman:
"If these numbers are right, this looks pretty sweet."

unless you have xfire, then you will see big gains.
Don't ever plan on running dual-GPU. Too many issues (not to mention the added noise).

Doesn't look like Mantle will really benefit me. Oh well.

adding additonal GPUs furthur constrains your CPU, regarless of how powerful it is.
Not really, crossfire overhead isn't THAT bad.

I think what you meant to say is that adding additional GPU's gives you enough headroom that you might end up CPU limited again.

This is way early to get discouraged, some show different results.

example i7-3970x / 2 R9 290x had a 58% increase!
was @ 1080p but, that is still a great increase for an i7

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2092189/amds-performance-boosting-mantle-pc-gaming-tech-launches-with-battlefield-4.html
50% increase to what, though? No specifics are given.

If that's a 58% increase to MINIMUM framerate, that's significant.
If minimums are exactly the same, but maximum is higher (thus leading to a 58% in AVERAGE framerate), then it's still worthless to me.

Minimum FPS is the important metric, average can be artificially inflated and doesn't tell me anything.

Edit: Also, the article you linked agrees with the article I linked, here's an expert from the article you just linked:
that lone R7 isn't pumping out enough power to bottleneck the processor. And your reward for installing Mantle in these cases? A mere 2.7% increase in performance
What I'm seeing, over and over, is if you already have a fast CPU (or you're gaming at decently high resolution), Mantle does almost nothing.

Last edited:
Don't ever plan on running dual-GPU. Too many issues (not to mention the added noise).

Doesn't look like Mantle will really benefit me. Oh well.

I think what you meant to say is that adding additional GPU's gives you enough headroom that you might end up CPU limited again.

50% increase to what, though? No specifics are given.

If that's a 58% increase to MINIMUM framerate, that's significant.
If minimums are exactly the same, but maximum is higher (this leading to a 58% in AVERAGE framerate), then it's still worthless to me.

Minimum FPS is the important metric, average doesn't tell me anything.

The increase in minimum's is what I'm taking away from the original performance gains statement. CPU limitations come into play at different times, I have a feeling that Mantle will be great for anyone in a very busy scene.

It has nothing to do with xfire overhead.

AMD has said even highend will see 5% (average) uplift.

The rule of thumb is the greater the performane delta between CPU and GPU, the more uplift you will see.

If you are at parity with your CPU and GPU, ie no uplift and CPU and GPU are both at the same usage, and you add a second card, you just moved the performance delta, so you will see uplift.

Has anything been stated about Steam support for Mantle? I'm really tempted to build a steambox, and I'd love if this would boost FPS there as well.

Has anything been stated about Steam support for Mantle? I'm really tempted to build a steambox, and I'd love if this would boost FPS there as well.
You mean SteamOS support for Mantle? I believe AMD has said they plan on releasing Mantle drivers for Linux.

Any free performance is good performance, and if you think about it helping out the budget CPU's is a great idea for PC gamers. More performance out of budget machines means possibly bigger market share and more PC exclusive or optimized titles if more choose to buy a lower cost PC over a console for gaming.

This would only help me for two games (BF4 and DA3 when it comes out) as most of the games I play aren't frostbite engine, but I can't complain about what was made in the past. Maybe I'll pick up a 270X to play around with when this releases fully.

It has nothing to do with xfire overhead.

AMD has said even highend will see 5% (average) uplift.

The rule of thumb is the greater the performane delta between CPU and GPU, the more uplift you will see.

If you are at parity with your CPU and GPU, ie no uplift and CPU and GPU are both at the same usage, and you add a second card, you just moved the performance delta, so you will see uplift.
Right, so you agree with my assessment, that "I think what you meant to say is that adding additional GPU's gives you enough headroom that you might end up CPU limited again."

You mean SteamOS support for Mantle? I believe AMD has said they plan on releasing Mantle drivers for Linux.

Yeah SteamOS is what I meant. Thanks for clarifying. I don't know anything about Linux really, but it doesn't seem like it has as well a fleshed out 3D API as windows. Maybe this will have a bigger impact there than on windows.

well its available in the game.

Like everyone else though we need the 14.1 driver :-( Still waiting. Hopefully It will be available soon. Then I'm sure after a few hours there were be multiple reviews up.

Right, so you agree with my assessment, that "I think what you meant to say is that adding additional GPU's gives you enough headroom that you might end up CPU limited again."

yes, i agree.

However, i would venture to say you will DEFFINITELY see some uplift.

There are no publicly-announced plans for Mantle support on Linux.

I think it would be highly unlikely.

Most likely they will, eventually, as they have said "Cross Platform" support.

Scince the only other platforms are OSX and Linux, you can make some assumptions here.

How long that will take is anyones guess.

frame latency will be lower and more consistent.

also there's no way a 1ghz oc on a 4770k will net u 50% increase in crossfire.
Won't have to delid your cpu to get your haswell to 5ghz just to get 5fps extra.

However, i would venture to say you will DEFFINITELY see some uplift.
Fastest mantle-capable rig I can throw together with the parts I have is a Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz + a Radoen HD 6970 + 5760x1200 resolution.

That's extremely GPU bottlenecked, I don't foresee Mantle doing much of anything there.

Fastest mantle-capable rig I can throw together with the parts I have is a Core i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz + a Radoen HD 6970 + 5760x1200 resolution.

That's extremely GPU bottlenecked, I don't foresee Mantle doing much of anything there.

Mantle isn't supported by amd 6000 series cards. You'll need at least a 7000 to use mantle.

So if I'm understanding correctly, then Mantle only significantly contributes to a lower end CPU with higher end GPU(s), correct?

For example, someone with an A10 or i3 and dual 290X will realize a much larger benefit (est 20-60% gain) than someone with an i7 and a single 290 (est 0-10% gain), right?

Last edited:

Since mantle will NEVER work on a 6xxx series card, i guess you will never know.

lol

All kidding aside, obviously a 7xxx, or R9 will be less gpu constrained.

Since i have a 2500k, and a 290pro, i will certainly let you know.

Pretty sure that 69XX-series and before are not GCN and therefore not Mantle-compatible.

Mantle isn't supported by amd 6000 series cards. You'll need at least a 7000 to use mantle.
Well, there goes that, then. Guess I'm out of here, Mantle officially does nothing for me :p

Already upgraded my main rig to a GTX 780, anyway. The GPU bottleneck with an HD 6970 was too severe.

Point still stands, though. Anyone with a decent CPU probably isn't wooed right now.

Back