Mafia III

Aside from the fps problem it seems like they did a great job... Hard to tell at 30fps, obviously.
Decent amount of video options including an FOV slider.

I did notice the key prompts are wrong. It's telling me to press "Q" for an action I rebound to "F", for example.

The graphics are pretty bad with some horrible textures and some things pop in almost right in front of you including some shadows. And overall the game looks like its being rendered at a much lower resolution as it is blurry and fuzzy looking.

The graphics are pretty bad with some horrible textures and some things pop in almost right in front of you including some shadows. And overall the game looks like its being rendered at a much lower resolution as it is blurry and fuzzy looking.
That's caused by the AA.

Kind of baffling that 2K thought that it could include a 30 fps cap without anyone noticing or complaining in the first place.

It helped them that all the reviews got locked down until release date or after which is, as others have said, usually a bad sign with few exceptions.

Looks like they just bungled the PC version. Hangar 13 appears to be a new 'console' game studio. I guess this will be a learning experience for them.

Looking forward to playing this game once all the bugs get fixed.

I'm interested in the story since it takes place in the south, most games like this seem to take place in either the north-east tri-state area or the west (California). Considering the comments about the visuals and the frame rate deal, guess I'll wait for the sale; >2 months!

I noticed this too. The graphics is pretty terrible. It basically looks like SR4. And even the gameplay seems similar, with the prompts and gui. If they told me it's the same engine I'd believe it.
The game style is much closer to GTA. Even the first few missions seemed like they took a lot of hints from there.
I don't want to say it's bad, but it's certainly not great so far.

I can't say I'd have noticed the 30fps cap if I wasn't told about it.

I just processed a Steam return because cut scenes and lock picking were messed up with eyefinity trips. I kind of wanted to like the game during the 20 minutes I played it.

I might buy again if they fix trips.g

The game's story has me hooked. Everything else is really just bad. Gameplay is just downright atrocious. 30 fps caps are abysmal. Driving is OK. How clouds keep illuminating the city is retarded since it changes instantly lol. Graphics are bad.
If it weren't for the story, I would have just uninstalled it. I am hoping patches fix this game since it has potential.

I love this game personally. I could never get hooked on Mafia I and II no matter how much I tried (and god knows I've tried to get into those games).

I LOVE the soundtrack. Absolutely love it.

Copied and pasted from Steam:

A message to our PC players

OCTOBER 6 - JOSEPHB2K
UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]:
We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

Original post:
We know how important having options that best suit your PC’s performance capabilities are. The team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second. We are currently working on an update for PC that will give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates. We’ll share more details about the update, and when you can expect it to arrive, very soon. In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you. We’re actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance. It’s been an incredible journey developing Mafia III and we couldn’t be more excited to get the game in your hands and hear what you think!

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/

^^ When that patch hits and clears, I'll be happy to buy in. :)

Last edited:
Copied and pasted from Steam:

A message to our PC players

OCTOBER 6 - JOSEPHB2K
UPDATE [10/6 / 6PM PT]:
We currently have a patch running here at the studio that includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options in the video menu, among other improvements for the PC version of Mafia III. We’re verifying the patch now to ensure everything is working as expected. If everything goes well, we expect the update to go live this weekend. We will be keeping the PC community up-to-date on the status of the patch throughout the weekend and thank you for all the feedback!

Original post:
We know how important having options that best suit your PC’s performance capabilities are. The team has been hard at work ensuring that Mafia III’s performance is consistent across all platforms, and right now the game runs at a solid 30 frames-per-second. We are currently working on an update for PC that will give players the option to play Mafia III at higher framerates. We’ll share more details about the update, and when you can expect it to arrive, very soon. In the meantime, the team welcomes feedback and would like to hear from you about what performance adjustment options are important to you. We’re actively considering a number of additional post-launch improvements on PC that would give players more control over how they can tailor the game’s experience to suit their rig’s performance. It’s been an incredible journey developing Mafia III and we couldn’t be more excited to get the game in your hands and hear what you think!

https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-a-message-to-our-pc-players/

^^ When that patch hits and clears, I'll be happy to buy in. :)

Yeah lemme know. I'll buy it once it's verified that it works.

PATCH IS OUT! UNCAPPED FPS.

Steam Community :: Group Announcements :: Mafia III

PC players, reboot Mafia III because patch 1.01 is now available for download. This patch includes 30, 60, and unlimited frames-per-second options on PC. To select your framerate, just head to the display menu in-game. Just make sure to tailor the framerate settings to the power of your machine. This patch also includes improvements to keyboard remapping, so head to the controls menu to check out the options. Note: this patch resets keyboard mapping to default, so any changes you made to the controls previously will need to be customized after installing the patch.

We aren’t done with fixes and updates and will continue to listen to our community for ways to improve your experience in New Bordeaux. And check here [mafiagame.com] to see what content updates we have in the works, including outfit swapping, races, and more.

You i5 users are screwed if running uncapped. The game eats 4 cores for lunch and is not very smooth if you become cpu limited.

GameGPU shows 70fps minimum for a stock i5. Seems about right, at 30fps I was seeing around 30-40% utilization.

GameGPU shows 70fps minimum for a stock i5. Seems about right, at 30fps I was seeing around 30-40% utilization.
I am telling you what the actul game feels like. With HT off on my 4770k the cpu was fully pegged the whole time and not even close to as smooth as with HT on. With HT on it never went below 60% and was in the upper 70% range at a times. You will not get a good experience with an i5 if you are running fully uncapped.

So the game needs a beefy CPU and GPU to run unlocked fps? What res were you running misterbobby?

So the game needs a beefy CPU and GPU to run unlocked fps? What res were you running misterbobby?
I tested at 1440p and 1080p. At 1440p an i5 will probably be fine as there was much less hitching from cpu being pegged due to being more gpu dependent. At 1080p though just panning around was not always very smooth as the cpu was just too burdened if running without vsync or being capped in some way.

Here goes nothing...

EDIT: Looks good. You have an FPS choice right there in the display menu: 30, 60, and Unlimited. I went for 60 with v sync off since I'm on a 60hz monitor.

So far everything looks and runs great. I like what I see here. Story is compelling.

Last edited:
Here goes nothing...

EDIT: Looks good. You have an FPS choice right there in the display menu: 30, 60, and Unlimited. I went for 60 with v sync off since I'm on a 60hz monitor.

So far everything looks and runs great. I like what I see here. Story is compelling.
You cant possibly think the graphics look good though. This game is pretty atrocious looking for how demanding it is. I cant even maintain 60 fps at 1440p wth an oced gtx 1080 and it eats 4 cores for lunch as I mentioned a little while ago. This game looks like an i3 and gtx 960 should max it out and never drop below 60 fps.

You cant possibly think the graphics look good though. This game is pretty atrocious looking for how demanding it is. I cant even maintain 60 fps at 1440p wth an oced gtx 1080 and it eats 4 cores for lunch as I mentioned a little while ago. This game looks like an i3 and gtx 960 should max it out and never drop below 60 fps.

Ok, by "great" I meant I'm not seeing any disasters.

Let me be more specific:

I agree with you.

The demand definitely exceeds considerably what I'm looking at for sure but this isn't a "bad/ugly looking game."

It's certainly not Witcher 3 nor is it GTA5 graphically, for that matter.

It's going to need at least one performance related patch and likely updated GPU drivers from the vendors as well.

Well lots of things just pop in or fade in as you get close and most of the textures are 512x512 which is pretty bad. There is nothing graphically impressive or even very modern looking about the game so I am at a loss as to why it is demanding at all.

Right here the texture above the fire looks like its from a 2002 game and everything is just so blurry at times. And that is with AA on low as medium and high make the game even softer and fuzzier.

image ru

^^ Yup, I've seen some of that. Demand is totally unjustifiable. I am listening to my card running pretty good right now. More than it should be for the likes of this.

He was right about the CPU, even with everything on the lowest @ 60fps cap, I'm pretty much locked at 100% with stutters. Officially the most CPU intensive game I've seen in my life, congratulations 2K and Hangar 13 lol.

Looks like I'm shelving this for a few months until they release more patches and I do my new build... Wow.

It's funny, if I turn off the fps lock in-game and use my own 30fps lock (rivatuner), it still runs my CPU at 100%. If I use the in-game 30fps lock, it drops down to 30%.
This means their game engine is doing something whacky as soon as you turn off the cap. Probably trying to fix the game speed or physics to run at 60fps and putting a ton of overhead on the CPU.

You gotta tweak the graphics options to get GPU usage down. I don't see too much of a difference and at least you can gain a few frames there.

Also, DSR is not an option since the UI doesn't scale.

Last edited:
It is sad when one of the worse looking games to come out needs an i7 and Titan X just to maintain 60 fps at 1080p. A system like that can run Ryse at 4k and get 60 fps and that game is on a whole other level when it comes to graphics. Even Mad Max looks better than Mafia 3 and I can run that at 60 fps at 4k with a gtx 1080 yet cant maintain 60 fps in Mafia 3 at just 1080p.

I'd love to know what the hell is going on there to have that kind of wonky and disproportionate demand.

That fireplace scene is just atrocious. The textures look like clay dolls.

It's performance like this that makes me sad for PC gaming and angry at developers. We shouldn't award them in any shape or form by purchasing these games. And DO NOT pre-order!

Guru3D performance review. Nvidia sponsored and optimized title according to the review. Hope they do better next time.
Mafia III VGA Graphics Performance Benchmark review

upload_2016-10-9_20-16-15.png

upload_2016-10-9_20-21-22.png

upload_2016-10-9_20-21-44.png

I watched my buddy stream some of the game and I was completely engrossed just watching him. I think the game is too good to skip also, but I can wait for the developer to release some patches before I buy it.

The game itself is very good. Gameplay is fun...story is excellent... the graphics and performances issues need to be addressed and I'm confident they will be.

I'd love to know what the hell is going on there to have that kind of wonky and disproportionate demand.

Same as most other games like that...totally unoptimized for PC.

Seriously, to get over 60 FPS in this game you have to have a $1200 card? Are you kidding?

Same as most other games like that...totally unoptimized for PC.

Seriously, to get over 60 FPS in this game you have to have a $1200 card? Are you kidding?

Depends on settings, resolution, etc. I'm not sure I'd state that it egregiously, but there's definitely a pretty wonky and unmerited for-what-you're-getting disproportion here.

I saw Nvidia put out an updated driver for this game, Shadow Warrior 2, and a couple of others. I'm using it. I don't think it's any earth shattering difference.

The devs are going to definitely have to attack it on their ends. To their credit they came after this fps pretty quick so we'll see what they do since the problems are far and widespread by now.

Depends on settings, resolution, etc. I'm not sure I'd state that it egregiously, but there's definitely a pretty wonky and unmerited for-what-you're-getting disproportion here.

I saw Nvidia put out an updated driver for this game, Shadow Warrior 2, and a couple of others. I'm using it. I don't think it's any earth shattering difference.

The devs are going to definitely have to attack it on their ends. To their credit they came after this fps pretty quick so we'll see what they do since the problems are far and widespread by now.

The Game Ready drivers are nothing but a marketing gimmick. In most cases they don't have a major impact on the games they're supposedly released for. Game improvements from drivers tend to come from drivers released weeks or months after a game is out. When Nvidia has more time to tweak things.

Back