Mafia III

capsule_184x69.jpg

Jul 11
Release Date and Details: “Sign of the Times” DLC takes Mafia III to a dark place
Mafia III - JosephB2K

f8e354daeb66bec6a666f67922342d50be613a99.jpg

The burnt-out shell of Sammy’s is littered with bodies, the result of a ritual sacrifice gone wrong. It’s up to Lincoln Clay, Father James – and you – to unravel the clues and free a woman from the grips of a bloodthirsty cult. “Sign of the Times” is a dark trip into the drug-induced underbelly of New Bordeaux. What can you expect out of “Sign of the Times” when it arrives on July 25? Keep reading to learn all about the third installment of Mafia III’s Season Pass content.

Faster, Baby!” had you ripping through rural Sinclair Parish with high-speed chases and stunt driving. “Stones Unturned” took you on an explosive buddy action adventure with John Donovan by your side. Now, as a mysterious cult surfaces in the city, “Sign of the Times” draws you into a creepy game of cat-and-mouse that feels more like a 1960s-inspired psychological thriller. There’s a few new gameplay elements introduced, as well as gear to earn and cars to add to your fleet.

We spoke with Bill Harms and Ed Fowler, Hangar 13’s Narrative Director and Senior Writer, and found out more about what’s to come in “Sign of the Times.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go2AmSXy8KE

TRUTH IS AS STRANGE AS FICTION – Bill Harms, Narrative Director

The inspiration for “Sign of the Times” is pretty clear. The late 1960s was a time of social and civil unrest – which we cover extensively in the game – but also of hallucinogenic experimentation and crazed cults, the horrible memory of the Manson Family being the most infamous. We were inspired to tell a story that represented that element of the time period, which led to The Ensanglante you tangle with in New Bordeaux.

But, even we have to admit that this is a pretty different experience going from Lincoln’s story of revenge against the Italian Mob, taking down corrupt officials in “Faster, Baby!” or helping your old war buddy in “Stones Unturned.”

I see each of the DLC stories as three different journeys for Lincoln and how he’s wrestling with his own grief and finding a way forward. You have someone like Lincoln who felt powerless in stopping the betrayal early in the game. In “Sign of the Times,” you have him finding someone who needs help – that’s not able to put the pieces of the puzzle together – and he can actually do something for her.

Part of it is seeing himself in that character – Anna – and the common ground of going through traumatic experiences. This isn’t some quest for revenge or redemption, but Lincoln tries to find some kind of peace for her that he’s not able to find for himself.

There’s definitely a different feel for this part of Lincoln’s story. It’s more internal, there are points you’re hearing Lincoln talk to himself as he hunts for clues. More importantly, he’s not in full control of this situation – and there are times when he won’t even know what’s real and what isn’t. Unlike the one-man war that Lincoln wages against the Marcanos, he doesn’t have an inside line. No knowledge of The Ensanglante or what they do. He’s trying to piece things together at the same time as the player.

NEW WAYS TO PLAY – Ed Fowler, Senior Writer

From the moment that the “Sign of the Times” DLC kicks off, you’re in for more deliberate pacing. There’s a mystery to solve with Lincoln searching for stray objects left behind, strange writing – you’ll even examine bodies for clues. By eyeballing the environment and using a blacklight flashlight to uncover hints, you’ll zero in on where The Ensanglante operate and what the hell their endgame is for New Bordeaux. At key points in this DLC, we have these investigation zones where you’ll methodically look for clues that reveal more of the truth… and it can quickly turn a corner where you’ll be dealing with cult members in tense firefights.

There’s crazed, knife-wielding cultists that will taunt you and jump out from nowhere. Not to mention throwing knives you’ll be able to silently hurl back at them. As you scour new locations inside New Bordeaux city limits, you’ll also fight off well-armed psychopaths as they attempt to slow down your search.

Speaking of slowing down, “Sign of the Times” introduces slow-motion gunplay. Once triggered, you have a few extra seconds to take down enemies. However, for those able to skillfully pull off headshots, you’ll extend the slow-mo timer – so take aim!

and

FULL STORIES HEADLINES

capsule_184x69.jpg

Jul 18
You Can Rebuild Sammy’s in Sign of the Times
Mafia III - JosephB2K

Ever since fans set foot in New Bordeaux, they've wanted to make Sammy’s a place all their own – now you can in “Sign of the Times” for Mafia III.

A big part of the story behind this DLC is, of course, investigating a cult operating out of New Bordeaux. “It all starts with Lincoln going back to visit the burned out remains of Sammy’s to get some closure,” explains Senior Writer Ed Fowler. “This felt like the right way to start the story, but also a great call back to an extremely important location in Lincoln's life and the player's experience in the main game. So once we landed on that location, we knew that was it. There was no better place to begin a story like this.” The way it works: After you get to the bottom of what the Ensanglante is planning, you’ll be able to come back to Sammy’s and really deck the place out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_hUxg2CtkE

All the hard-earned cash earned from your side businesses and whatever you *ahem* get while on the streets can be put into refurbishing Sammy’s to its former glory. Rebuild the bar, get a new jukebox – put Sammy’s back together just like you remember it from the very beginning of the game. But you can also start adding more to it.

Where it gets interesting is that as you need to hire more staff, you’ll start unlocking side missions. Help a drummer out of a jam and his band will perform at your club. Do a favor for someone and they’ll start working your bar.

And, a nice perk from helping said bartender: You’ll unlock the Samson Harrier. This high-speed hot rod flies off the starting line – and will be a fine edition to your fleet. Provided you can win it in a race.

Mafia3_Sign_of_the_Times_Screenshot_25_(Vehicle_Samson_Harrier).jpg

“After all is said and done,” Fowler adds, “we wanted to provide a bit of closure for Lincoln as we wrapped our last big DLC for Mafia III. You can start playing "Sign of the Times" at any point after the first sit-down and feel like you’ve tried to do right by your adoptive father’s legacy.”

^ Steam is starting to preload the last DLC. Hopefully it's more meaty than the last two.

Even with all its faults, I found Mafia 3 to be an enjoyable game.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
At 11 GB it better have some meat to it, hopefully it also gets some bug fixes and performance improvements. At the very least I hope they fixed the wiretapping bug and junkyard freeze that were added with the other DLCs.

It's a shame that it was released in such poor shape and parts got to be a bit repetitive but there were some well crafted missions(loved the riverboat) and it's much more of a true open world game so some repetitiveness is to be expected. The story wasn't anything spectacular and I agree that it's much less of a mob story than the first two games but there were some interesting characters*, it did a good job of pulling the gameplay together, and I thought the voice acting and cutscenes were very well done.

*I thought your own underbosses were unlikable and too cliche however many of the enemies were well done and your handler is a great character.

like this
Overall the game is good, lumps and all, but I definitely think it could have and should have been more.

I am surprised they still making DLC for this game. I though it was a flop. Game started off great and had potential but fell on it face after the first 3 hour.

They kind of had to release this DLC since they sold a season pass and deluxe version that included it, that said the first two were really quite good(more like the first few hours of the games) even if they did introduce a few nasty bugs.

I am surprised they still making DLC for this game. I though it was a flop. Game started off great and had potential but fell on it face after the first 3 hour.
The game needed more unique missions be it main or side stuff. The DLC made it slightly better, but overall it wasn't enough to make what could have been a 9/10 game.

Just wanted to chime in here and mention that Sign of the Times DLC is really good. It's too bad they didn't include this type of content in the base game.

On a side note, I started replaying Mafia 2 and it's superior to Mafia 3 in nearly every category. Mafia 3 gets a few more points for car handling and gunplay.

mafia 2 was not memorable. did you ever play mafia? I thought it was far superior - except for the car racing.

mafia 2 was not memorable. did you ever play mafia? I thought it was far superior - except for the car racing.
LOL a blast from the past. Oh how much I heard everywhere people raving and ranting about the car racing and how hard it was, I never could wrap my head around that, as to me it was literally the easiest mission of the game. You could lap the entire pack even on the hardest difficulty.

LOL a blast from the past. Oh how much I heard everywhere people raving and ranting about the car racing and how hard it was, I never could wrap my head around that, as to me it was literally the easiest mission of the game. You could lap the entire pack even on the hardest difficulty.

For kb/m. with controllers yes, it is easy

I was only comparing it to Mafia 3.

I've played Mafia. It hasn't aged well and is in dire need of a remaster on PC. That's highly unlikely at this point.

Last edited:
like this
I tried playing this again last week and got to the same point (when you unite your 3 capos) before quitting. It's just too repetitive.

The first Mafia, an open-world action game revolving around the Italian mob, had been developed by a Czech studio named Illusion Softworks for the PC. When it came out in 2002, it found success in Europe but in North America was mostly overshadowed by 2001’s seminal Grand Theft Auto III.
Not for me, Mafia blew everything out of the water, compared to it GTA3 seemed insignificant. I've had some fun with GTA3 at the time, but after Mafia came out I barely touched it. Whereas I've spent years playing with mafia adding mods and with the various game modes like freeride extreme.

Mafia II, out in August of 2010, received mixed reviews and was overshadowed by yet another Rockstar game, Red Dead Redemption, which had come out three months earlier.
Again I disagree. RDR was a console exclusive it could hardly overshadow a PC game. Mafia II was not bad, technically it was almost as good as Mafia 1 at it's time. I still got a fair bit of enjoyment out of it. It's problem was that tons of content was cut from it and that left huge gaps in the story. It could've been just as good as the first or even better, by adding a few connecting missions and fleshing out the story better.

The engine, which grew out of the Illusion engine used for the first two Mafia games, went through active development alongside the game
If that is true then it went trough active devolvement not development. It felt nothing like the previous games, physics were utter shit, while mafia I & II boasted simulation level physics.

At first this was a fun activity, but by the fifth or sixth district, it started to feel tedious. And there were ten of them.
That's an understatement, it felt tedious by the second time, and I wanted nothing to do with the game after that.

Apart from that it sounds like h13's management went high on drugs after Mafia 3, pingponging between stupid and ludicrous ideas, digging their own grave in the process.

I tried playing this again last week and got to the same point (when you unite your 3 capos) before quitting. It's just too repetitive.
It's not one of those games you'd replay very often or again. Replay value is near zero unless you're just looking to only do the main story missions, and even then it will become tedious. Steam says I played for 105 hours but it felt like 300.

like this
Back