Mafia II demo.

My point is simple. Every time a big multi-platform game comes around everyone posts comparison shots and the PS3 always look shitty.

But the reality is that it doesn't.

Sometimes there are differences, but they are for the most part very minor.

The games very rarely look blurry, washed out, etc.

It's just a misrepresentation I'm sick of.
the PS3 version of some games do look washed out and blurry compared to 360 and pc though. Ghostbusters looked like complete ass on the PS3 even though it was the lead platform.

anyway the ONLY reason I posted that screen and video was because there are supposedly no difference between pc and console version except resolution options and physx according to 2k. so its clear after seeing that video that just the resolution makes a massive difference since everything else is supposedly the same.

This post makes me laugh: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79397

How does removing the timer equate to stealing the game? The demo's area is very small, there's only one mission, only a few guns available, and anyone can just reload the demo to obtain a full ten minutes again. Removing the timer simply makes the demo more enjoyable, IMO.

Why is it the PS3 always looked washed out? This game, Ghostbusters, and GTA IV looks like someone turned down the contrast.

Bad porting and lazy developers. With Ghostbusters, the PS3 version ran at a lower resolution and with far less shaders and they blurred it all to cover it up.

Ok so turning on physx for only Vito's clothing and not the NPCs and running physx at medium with all settings at high and 16x af but no AA @ 2560 x 1600, I was able to get a constant 60 FPS throughout the whole demo, even during the fat guy mission. Not bad, but it still should run much better on these 2 gtx 480s.

And outside of gameplay, this is what i got on the benchmark with those settings:
benchmarkresults.png

the PS3 version of some games do look washed out and blurry compared to 360 and pc though. Ghostbusters looked like complete ass on the PS3 even though it was the lead platform.

anyway the ONLY reason I posted that screen and video was because there are supposedly no difference between pc and console version except resolution options and physx according to 2k. so its clear after seeing that video that just the resolution makes a massive difference since everything else is supposedly the same.

Ugh. Did you play ghostbusters on the ps3 or are basing this off some comparison at a game site?

I wonder if there's a demo I can fire up tonight.

I already proved this shit wrong plenty of times, as others have. I don't feel like getting together all the links again so there's no point.

Ugh. Did you play ghostbusters on the ps3 or are basing this off some comparison at a game site?

I already proved this shit wrong plenty of times, as others have. I don't feel like getting together all the links again so there's no point.

Then make a thread to it, so you can always just say *here*

unless if you don't think it will survive [H]'s scrutiny as an independant thread... :p

j/k, but the thread idea will help shut up some people, lol.

yeah everybody else is lying and its a big conspiracy by reviewers. :rolleyes:

"Xbox 360 wins this by a landslide. If we didn’t know any better we would have thought the Ghostbusters was developed on the Xbox 360 and ported, poorly, to the PlayStation 3. However all sources indicate the PS3 was the lead, and so you’ve got an issue on your hands. Either someone is lying, or the porting team does better work then the lead team. Don’t believe the lies, buy this game on the Xbox 360". http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974

the PS3 version of Ghostbusters was so bad that they even released a patch for it to up the res.

"We were moved -- genuinely moved! -- by Terminal Reality's efforts to improve the lackluster visual quality of the PS3 version of Ghostbusters with a recent patch. However, while the implementation of multi-sampling anti-aliasing and a slight bump of resolution make the PS3 title look prettier than its launch iteration, a recent Digital Foundry comparison came to a startling conclusion. Even post-patch, the game fails to deliver on its promise of 720p resolution or equality with the 360 version of Ghostbusters." http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/31/ghostbusters-ps3-patch-is-close-to-720p-but-no-cigar/

Ok so turning on physx for only Vito's clothing and not the NPCs and running physx at medium with all settings at high and 16x af but no AA @ 2560 x 1600, I was able to get a constant 60 FPS throughout the whole demo, even during the fat guy mission. Not bad, but it still should run much better on these 2 gtx 480s.

And outside of gameplay, this is what i got on the benchmark with those settings:

I wonder what you need for an A rank with phsyx and AA on? It's only a demo and there hasn't been time for Nv and ATi To get their buisness together. Also it's only a demo, The quake 3 demo still wont run at all on anty machine I have, but the game works fine. Should see higher frame rates after release, like with 2033 etc. Es[ecially with proper physx patching.
Is it me or do none of the options really seem to change anything but framerate. On Low everything still looks the same just runs quicker...I exited and entered again. There is no AA that I can tell of. Still It's a demo.

Hey and I just noticed the demo is patching. Probably a fix for the timer breaking, but this might help with some of the issues...

yeah everybody else is lying and its a big conspiracy by reviewers. :rolleyes:

the PS3 version of Ghostbusters was so bad that they even released a patch for it to up the res.

Buddy do you even read? Ghostbusters might be one legit example where there were large differences. If a game runs at 480p it runs at 480p, I won't argue that.

But my problem lies within the constant posting of washed out blurry pics. It's just not what you see when you actually play the game, hence bullshit, deceit, lies, whatever.

You posted a pic of the ps3 looking more blurry and washed out than the 360 and it's just not the way the game looks.

Same thing with Resident Evil 5, same thing with BOTH Assassin's Creeds, Same thing with Read Dead Redemption.

Oh you found 1 game that had a lower res. But guess what, I bet you it wouldn't look washed out on my tv.

Keep playing your consoles on a shitty lcd though.

Then make a thread to it, so you can always just say *here*

unless if you don't think it will survive [H]'s scrutiny as an independant thread... :p

j/k, but the thread idea will help shut up some people, lol.

Would be a good idea.

Buddy do you even read? Ghostbusters might be one legit example where there were large differences. If a game runs at 480p it runs at 480p, I won't argue that.

But my problem lies within the constant posting of washed out blurry pics. It's just not what you see when you actually play the game, hence bullshit, deceit, lies, whatever.

You posted a pic of the ps3 looking more blurry and washed out than the 360 and it's just not the way the game looks.

Same thing with Resident Evil 5, same thing with BOTH Assassin's Creeds, Same thing with Read Dead Redemption.

Oh you found 1 game that had a lower res. But guess what, I bet you it wouldn't look washed out on my tv.

well you keep enjoying your PS3 on that magical TV of yours and I will stick to pc gaming on my "shitty lcd". ;)

It's okay man, let it go. Who cares how good the Xbox and PS3 look or don't look? They are always inferior to the PC and this is a PC forum.

yet again we have another guy smoking. seriously dude i have both consoles and for at least GTA4, the PS3 version looks TERRIBLE compared to the 360 version as i had BOTH versions. one i got seperately for my 360 and another that was bundled on my ps3.

Fifa 10 is another game that looks better on the 360.

This post makes me laugh: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79397

How does removing the timer equate to stealing the game? The demo's area is very small, there's only one mission, only a few guns available, and anyone can just reload the demo to obtain a full ten minutes again. Removing the timer simply makes the demo more enjoyable, IMO.

I'm downloading because she said not to.

Considering that she's a well-known pathological liar, it's assumed that the opposite of whatever it is she says is actually true. Thus, she encourages downloading and utilizing demo timer cracks.

EDIT: Translation of Elizabeth's post is as follows:
guys,

I've seen a couple links to supposed demo timer removal methods. Not only do these often work perfectly well and rarely contain viruses, removing the demo timer means you are enjoying our game. If you post these, you will be performing a great service to the community.

Think of the devs at 2K Czech who have spent years slaving over this game and respect them. Remove the demo timer. The full game will be out in 14 days. Don't wait till then - removing the demo timer will be worth it. You will receive a fully finished game with a great deal of bugs (I can't guarantee the experience will be better) and you will be supporting the team who are complete strangers to you, and the people who worked so hard to bring you Mafia II.

Last edited:
Anyone have a bug where after you get out of the burning warehouse and into the car all the other buildings and cars are invisible until you get 3 feet away and then they pop into view?

2K Elizabeth is a company lackey. She lost me when she refused to communicate to the developers how much 360 controller support in Bioshock 2 meant to some of us. I just hope that 2K Marin doesn't get to work... or rather 'ruin'... Bioshock 3. Send it back to Boston.

Nvidia just released a PhysX driver wich apperantly now allows PhysX to be rendered on the GPU not the CPU and they will also be patching the demo on steam later on I'm currently at work will be trying it when I get home.

I wonder if this PhysX thing isn't maybe more hassle than it's worth? The effects are pretty neat when they work - but it's never really anything mind blowing, is it?

I look at the cloth off the trench-coats, for example, and I think, wow, that's pretty neat - but is it really worth 20 frames per second?

Well some of the effects do add some eye candy but you are right not worth 20-30 fps sacrifice for stuff that you wouldnt even see through all the game.

anyway can someone confirm the patch ? post maybe a benchmark result with it.

Well some of the effects do add some eye candy but you are right not worth 20-30 fps sacrifice for stuff that you wouldnt even see through all the game, anyway can someone confirm the patch ? post maybe a benchmark resault with it.

Yes it does update the problem but there was a manual fix fix it that I had already applied. Here's some benchies: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1539027

I dont understand how you average 15 FPS on 1920*1080 high PhysX and same settings on 5760 X 1080 you average 40 FPS didnt you notice that?

Is no one else having this problem? I changed the brightness when I first started the demo, and when I exit the game, everything but my mouse cursor is dimmed. In-game everything looks normal, but when I quit everything gets messed up to the point where restarting my computer is the only option. Any help?

Is no one else having this problem? I changed the brightness when I first started the demo, and when I exit the game, everything but my mouse cursor is dimmed. In-game everything looks normal, but when I quit everything gets messed up to the point where restarting my computer is the only option. Any help?
yes plenty of people are reporting that and it seems to be an ATI issue. just hit control alt delete after the game and then cancel and go right back to the desktop.

Back