M3A2 Beta Project: Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, that was me that sent you the email. I hadn't gone through all of your posts in here so I didn't really know much about the layout. But I really like the psu placement and the H60 would fit perfectly in front of the gtx 670 mini. I already have all the parts except the cpu and the gpu (hopefully it's released soon).

Noted!

I have been asked about putting an AIO like the H60 in there. It should fit with a short GPU, like a 6.75" card. The push/pull configuration could intake through one side of the case and just exhaust right out the other side.

I'll have to look into that further. Shouldn't be hard, just have to add one more vent, since there is already a vent on the GPU side.

That sounds awesome, really gives quite a few options for cooling. Can't wait for the second run ;)

Yup, that was me that sent you the email. I hadn't gone through all of your posts in here so I didn't really know much about the layout. But I really like the psu placement and the H60 would fit perfectly in front of the gtx 670 mini. I already have all the parts except the cpu and the gpu (hopefully it's released soon).
Ah, okay. I got a Delivery Status Notification (failure) response when trying to replay to that email, sorry. It says my reply was blocked. Sorry about that.

That sounds awesome, really gives quite a few options for cooling. Can't wait for the second run ;)
I'll have to try fitting one in there to confirm tube routing, but it would be really great to have that option if one so desired.

I got the new USB3.0 ports in! Further apart for greater capacity for those USB devices that might be a little chubby around the mid section ;)

And nice short cables, just enough for good routing and very little extra to deal with, nice :D

That looks sweet!!
Yes!
That lil guy looks nice and clean
That's what were going for :D
were those made specially for you? they look great!
No they weren't, but it was good hunt finding what I really wanted. They're damn near perfect for this design!
I like the USB 3 ports. Did you get the Samuel 17 I sent?
I did! Check your PMs ;)

Everybody thank Updawg for entrusting me with his shiny new Samuel 17! And you can thank him again if it leads to actually getting it to fit the M3A2!

1...2...3... "Thanks Updawg!"

Last edited:
1...2...3... "Thanks Updawg!"

standing-ovation.gif

Update #1:
Today I got a nice heavy shipment of extruded aluminum! That means I've got enough material to make a few more cases 4-5. But I still want to make the first batch before I go offering any more. I'm happy to have these pieces in hand and ready to machine :)

Update #2:
The CNC machine is moving and the spindle has power and is cutting nicely! I'm currently controlling the spindle on/off and speeds manually. I'm waiting on a few parts from Mouser to be able to control the spindle drive via the PC. But I cut the side vent pattern of the M3A2 into a piece of wood. Makes me excited! You can see my CNC build log here over in the work log section.
Don't mind the burrs, my speeds/feeds were a little off, but the cut itself is nice straight and smoooooth:

yeah you get weird results with wood because it's fibrous unlike metal. i wouldnt worry about it. your spindle speed and feed speed will be very important when cutting though.

yeah you get weird results with wood because it's fibrous unlike metal. i wouldnt worry about it. your spindle speed and feed speed will be very important when cutting though.
I figured that's what it might be, thanks for confirming. Plus, the router bit is an up-cut helix, so it's not pulling down and shearing those little stray fibers, its splaying them up. But I need an up-cut helix for the aluminum so I don't pack the chip load as it cuts.

But I must say, that little test into cutting wood makes me want to do other wood projects eventually. A wood/aluminum case would be fun. Burlwood and brushed aluminum anyone?

I like the M3A2 design, if the whole thing is metal including the front. Kinda xbox-ish. if you start producing these let me know.

In addition to those long pillars as vents, can you work different patterns? Like circular mesh, grid, or howeycomb.

I feel a cockroach can get in there.

In addition to those long pillars as vents, can you work different patterns? Like circular mesh, grid, or howeycomb.

I feel a cockroach can get in there.
Haha, I think one would want to address the cockroach problem first.

But yes, different patterns can be done, including hex/honeycomb mesh inserts.

Okay, I got a chance to work on the design more today:

1. Lowered the motherboard/GPU 1.6mm for additional CPU clearance. I believe this will yield 70mm, but I need to confirm this.
  2. Updated USB3.0 to new style with ports further apart.
  3. Changed mounting of USB3.0 for no visible screws.
Still working on:

1. Confirming actual CPU clearance.
  2. USB3.0 unit is wider and interfering with 3.5" HDD. Working on eliminating interference.
  3. Drive brackets (ODD and SSD/DD) redesign for better functionality and ease of fabrication.

Will the lowered mobo height interfere with an msata ssd placed in the rear of an asrock z77e-itx motherboard?

And how is the liquid cooling placement coming along?

Thanks and keep up the awesome work.

Will the lowered mobo height interfere with an msata ssd placed in the rear of an asrock z77e-itx motherboard?

And how is the liquid cooling placement coming along?

Thanks and keep up the awesome work.
The standoffs are 0.187" or 4.7mm, leaving that much room between the bottom panel and the back of the motherboad. Anyone with a Z77E-ITX want to measure their boards with an mSATA in it?

Liquid cooling is still in the works. I just recently got the time to make the adjustments I've made so far since I've been busy with the machine.

Thanks!

IMAG0555.jpg

Don't have anything to measure it by but here is a case fan screw and those are 10mm long if I'm not mistaken. All you have changed are the motherboard standoff screws right? And as for Cpu cooler height I'll be using the h60, if it fits, in push pull config so I wouldn't need the mobo to be lower.

...snip...

Don't have anything to measure it by but here is a case fan screw and those are 10mm long if I'm not mistaken. All you have changed are the motherboard standoff screws right? And as for Cpu cooler height I'll be using the h60, if it fits, in push pull config so I wouldn't need the mobo to be lower.
Ah, thanks for the pic! Fan screws will, however, come in a variety of lengths. That may be a short one, like a 6mm or so. Hard to tell.

Last edited:
Did a little digging online and found the actual dimensions of the ssd. It is 50.8 x 29.8 x 3.6 mm

Hope that helps

The fan on the back of GPU seems useless, it can be removed and add storage space

Or

rise the GPU to the top of case, and put 2 smaller fan on the side, this way the GPU will get much better airflow. A PCI-E Riser with a bit longer cable will be required

I have received more materials, enough to make a few more M3A2 Beta cases! I will be making these available first to those who contributed at the “On The List” level. There are limited quantities. Expected ship date is still the end of May barring any unforeseen issues or delays.

If you’ve contributed at the “On The List” level and are interested in a case, please use the Contact Me feature on the M3Cases.com website.

http://www.m3cases.com/contactme.htm

The fan on the back of GPU seems useless, it can be removed and add storage space

Or

rise the GPU to the top of case, and put 2 smaller fan on the side, this way the GPU will get much better airflow. A PCI-E Riser with a bit longer cable will be required
I wouldn't go as far as to say useless. That fan forces air over the drives mounted behind the GPU. Which, in combination with the drive bracket acting as a heat shield, prevents the drives being greatly effected by the heat generated by the GPU. It also helps generate positive pressure throughout the case.

Removing the fan would make room for a 3.5" HDD, but as pointed out by Necere this area can be a bit of a hot spot, and not an ideal place to a spinning HDD without proper air flow. This is also why the SSDs shown are separated, to keep them from being directly over the GPU chip area and a fan added to move cooler air through that area.

However, you can choose to not mount a fan there and easily fit in a 3.5" HDD if you wish. I'll add mounting holes to accommodate this.

Or

By moving the GPU all the way to the top and placing 2 fans beneath it, you've essentially eliminated the areas to mount any drives. No room above, and no room below without blocking air flow to the GPU.

Last edited:
Why did I have to find out about this the day that the indiegogo event ended? Oh well, only 13 on "the" list so I'll be camping outside in line for one :)

What's the status of the ultra-mini?
I suppose it's close to "complete". I can design around and around in circles to infinity, but eventually I just have to make one. If after a week or so all the recently available M3A2 Betas are not claimed by contributors, then I will make an Ultra-Mini. Since the project originated and remains focused on the M3A2, I feel I need to make these first. :)

Last edited:
I did some tweaking to the drive layout today just to see if I could get all the drives away from the GPU. This is what I came up with:

Personally, I like this configuration better. It puts all the drives on one bracket towards the front, away from direct heat of the GPU. It also allows the fan more room to breath for better air flow around the case.

And the proverbial total view shots:

What is the spacing like between the graphics card and the 3.5" drive? If it is close and people are worried about contact what if the 3.5" was on top and the two 2.5" drives are on the bottom. This way since most 2.5" ssds are plastic you won't worry about them shorting the card. However, this point might be completely moot if there is adequate spacing between the card and the drives.

I will definitely be buying one of these, it's perfect.

I'll be putting in modest parts:
i5 2500
P8Z77-I
830 128, 830 256 (both ontop of the psu for extra room?)
660 Ti

I don't know yet:
CPU cooler
PSU
Fans

Will all the holes come with easy maintenance dust filters?
Ill be using one fan only (maybe) as an exhaust (pulling heat from the cpu and gpu)

thanks.

What is the spacing like between the graphics card and the 3.5" drive? If it is close and people are worried about contact what if the 3.5" was on top and the two 2.5" drives are on the bottom. This way since most 2.5" ssds are plastic you won't worry about them shorting the card. However, this point might be completely moot if there is adequate spacing between the card and the drives.
Define "adequate". Haha, its close. Right now it is less than 2mm. This allows for a 9.5mm thick SSD + about 1.7mm of space between the SSD and 3.5" HDD.

Because it is close to the back of the GPU, I did consider using a rubber pad on the drive bracket to prevent shorting.

I could also switch the 2.5" and 3.5" to have the top of the SSDs towards the back of the GPU.

I will definitely be buying one of these, it's perfect.

I'll be putting in modest parts:
i5 2500
P8Z77-I
830 128, 830 256 (both ontop of the psu for extra room?)
660 Ti

I don't know yet:
CPU cooler
PSU
Fans

Will all the holes come with easy maintenance dust filters?
Ill be using one fan only (maybe) as an exhaust (pulling heat from the cpu and gpu)

thanks.
Great!

At this time, filters are not included. After the first test case I may have a better idea of filtering and will include them if I can determine a reasonable means of doing so. But no, filters just aren't in the budget for this run.

I'm pretty sure only two PSUs will fit:

SILVERSTONE ST45SF
SILVERSTONE ST45SF-G
Personally, I will be using the non-modular in my build.

Same here, the ST45SF-G's fan is louder than the ST45SF. That and I got the ST45SF for $55 @ NCIX vs $80+ for the loud modular one.

There is 1.6mm between the drive bracket and back of the GPU. I think a rubber bumper/piece here would be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back