M3A2 Beta Project: Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
In for $20 contribution. :D

For those who are getting a case, please upload detail pictures once you've got the case up and running. Since this is beta, I would like to know the tolerance/fit of the components.
Thank you sir! I greatly appreciate that, it makes a huge difference. :)

And yes, I'm hoping that those who get a case will provide feedback and pictures to help the project along and make improvements where needed.

come on guys. just 42 hrs left and the campaign is a little short :(
Yes, please! Even $1 makes an impact. There are still some significant costs ahead for me, so the more successful the campaign the further the project can go towards producing the M3A2 and its derivatives in larger volume and lower cost, which is the end goal.

As someone who has an aluminum case with much thinner panels than this one, I'd have to say durability would be one. My lian li case managed to get pretty banged up with normal use. As soon as I saw the panels that he was using, he just sold himself another case whenever he can make more, lol.

Agreed. My Lian-Li with 2mm panels is almost comically light-weight when empty, but who cares. Once you load it up with everything an extra 3 or 4 pounds in case weight doesn't really matter. And there's something to be said for solid, sturdy construction. It's not like I plan on dropping the thing or throwing it around, but it's nice to have something well made.

As for the finish, I might just have to toss a coin. I really like both types. Maybe I'll have to see your finished products to decide, or maybe I'll choose whatever is less common so that we'll have some variety in the beta designs.

If he makes more of them, I might anodize it myself for a unique finish
Is this something you would do yourself? I've read into doing anodizing in my own shop, but I'm leery about getting a consistent finish between parts and having the room at have all the tanks setup at the ready. Plus, from what I gather, the margin of error between a good anodized finish and a crappy one is pretty narrow (i.e. easy to screw up and arduous to undo).
forgot to say, contributed myself just now. best of luck.
Ah thank you kind sir! That's a huge help. HUGE! :D

contributed! I want one of these even more than the Ncase M1. In the typical [H] manner, I will get both :D
I really like that this a truly minimalist case. I am also really looking forward to the smaller version with for short cards!

Is this something you would do yourself? I've read into doing anodizing in my own shop, but I'm leery about getting a consistent finish between parts and having the room at have all the tanks setup at the ready. Plus, from what I gather, the margin of error between a good anodized finish and a crappy one is pretty narrow (i.e. easy to screw up and arduous to undo).

Depends on how you are anodizing, it is easy to screw up but most of it is in the temperature control, the time you run the reaction and the uniformity of the aluminum surface finish.

Ah thank you kind sir! That's a huge help. HUGE! :D

No problem, I really like the product and will do my part to be able to be able to purchase one

oooh, I want a white one =P.
Yeah, I like the idea of a white one with the chrome/blue led power button, maybe brushed aluminum feet. Niiiiice...

contributed! I want one of these even more than the Ncase M1. In the typical [H] manner, I will get both :D
I really like that this a truly minimalist case. I am also really looking forward to the smaller version with for short cards!
Haha, that is [H]! And I'm flattered. That NCase M1 is a hell of a case, really well thought out.

I'm a chemist by trade, thats why I believe I could do it myself safely.
Cool. It seems to be a pretty straight forward process with pretty basic materials. I'll probably dabble with it eventually, but for now will leave it to the experts ;)

Last edited:
Possible to have a cutout on the motherboard tray (if there will be one) to access the back for mounting plates and such?

Final Hours Over At Indiegogo:
Okay ladies and gentlemen, less than 24 hours to go on the crowd-funding. We are so close! And it is all due to your generous contributions, both financially and technically. This is an exciting venture to be stepping off on and it really means a lot to have the community of enthusiasts that I've grown to be a part of back me up.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed and spread the word about the M3A2 Beta project! Now, let us forge ahead for the final hours and finish strong!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Possible to have a cutout on the motherboard tray (if there will be one) to access the back for mounting plates and such?
As you suspect there is not motherboard tray per se. The motherboard mounts to the 3mm bottom panel. The standoffs are pressed in to milled holes, not visible from the outside of the case. (PEM thread inserts, love'm!)

I suppose an access panel is possible on the bottom panel. But you'd have to not mind seeing it if you opted to stand the case up vertically. To shave a few milimeters off the case height and still maintain decent CPU cooler clearance, little sacrifices like 'no dedicated motherboard tray' have to be made.

Assembling your system:
A nice characteristic of a bolt-together case is ease of access, especially when you first build your system. You can basically mount the motherboard and power supply to the bottom panel, power on and troubleshoot, then build the case up around it.

Just contributed a small amount. Hopefully it'll go toward bringing the mini to market!
That's no small amount, thank you! I'd like to eventually make the Mini as well. I think I'll learn a lot making the M3A2 that will help with subsequent designs, including the Mini. M3A2 Mini.... "M3A2ini"? Hahaha..

As you suspect there is not motherboard tray per se. The motherboard mounts to the 3mm bottom panel. The standoffs are pressed in to milled holes, not visible from the outside of the case. (PEM thread inserts, love'm!)

I suppose an access panel is possible on the bottom panel. But you'd have to not mind seeing it if you opted to stand the case up vertically. To shave a few milimeters off the case height and still maintain decent CPU cooler clearance, little sacrifices like 'no dedicated motherboard tray' have to be made.

Nah not worth it, it's not like someone should expect to change their HSF too much anyways :)

It's just for slightly easier initial install.

Done, matched my M1 donation. Now to scrounge around enough to buy at least one of the cases. :eek:

Contributed. The world needs more ventures like this. I'm glad sites like Indiegogo and kickstarter have sprung into existence.

Done, matched my M1 donation. Now to scrounge around enough to buy at least one of the cases. :eek:

Contributed. The world needs more ventures like this. I'm glad sites like Indiegogo and kickstarter have sprung into existence.

Thank you and thank you!

It's been an active past 48 hours on the campaign and its very invigorating to share in your all's enthusiasm!

Where was this case two months ago. I needed something like this.

Where was this case two months ago. I needed something like this.
Correction, you need something like this. Present tense. Jedi mind trick...50% of the time it works every time.
Probably keeping its creator up at night...
And it still keeps me up at night. Part excitement and part stress. But I enjoy it. Sometimes more than sleep
CMadki4, your contact us page is down: http://www.m3cases.com/contactus.htm however your contact me page is up: http://www.m3cases.com/contactme.htm
Ah, thanks for posting. I fixed it, but for whatever reason the links in sidebar opening in a new window. A webmaster I am not...

I'm looking for a low profile card that actually consumes two PCI slots, not just one with a bigger heatsink/fan that consumes the spot next to it. Do they exist?

Yes, there are many of them, for some strange reason. Some are obvious like this one. Some are more subtle like this one that isn't a full double slot, but does intrude into the second slot.

Yes, there are many of them, for some strange reason. Some are obvious like this one. Some are more subtle like this one that isn't a full double slot, but does intrude into the second slot.
Ah yes, I see. A true dual slot low profile card does seem peculiar. The ones with the add-on card with additional I/O do make some sense though.

Only 4 hours to go!

I'm writing some of the G-code for the test panels I'll be cutting once the machine is fully operational. It's going to be a late night.

Indiegogo Crowd Funding Campaign a Success!

Well folks, the count down has ended and the adventure continues on! $1,540 of the $2,000 is great! Combine that with website sales and we exceeded our goal by $790!

Here is what is to come:

• finish calibrating the CNC machine
  • test cuts and demo parts
  • demo powder coating system
  • finalize NC part programs
  • make one (1) M3A2 Beta, test fit and evaluate
  • make design adjustments and update NC part programs
  • start machining M3A2 Beta cases!
  • powder coat
  • assemble
  • package and ship!
My big focus right now is going to be getting the CNC machine dialed in so I can cut parts consistently. And once that is done things should move forward nicely.
There will be more challenges and obstacles ahead, but nothing we can't handle. Be sure to visit the website and this thread for updates and to get in on the discussion.
Thank you so very much! What a blessing to have such support :)

Yes it works :)
Is it too late to buy/pre-order one of these?
Excellent, muahaha!

The first run of beta cases are vouched for, but I do have enough parts/materials to make more. I'd like to have some extras on standby just in case. But if I can make the first few without any major issues I'll dip into my reserve parts/materials to make a few more cases :) I should know in a week or so if I can make a few more.

Excellent, muahaha!

The first run of beta cases are vouched for, but I do have enough parts/materials to make more. I'd like to have some extras on standby just in case. But if I can make the first few without any major issues I'll dip into my reserve parts/materials to make a few more cases :) I should know in a week or so if I can make a few more.

Some of us will be avidly waiting for THAT news, lol :)

Congratulations on meeting (and exceeding) the goal by the way.

Curt,

Are you positive 68mm is the total clearance? I was thinking a Prolimatech Samuel 17 would be a good fit for this case, however, it is 45mm tall. This means a standard case fan would not fit as it would put the total at 70mm. Is there any wiggle room? I am looking forward to getting my beta case!

Awesome! I also see you're up to 50% funded on Indiegogo! Great to see things are progressing, I can't wait to see this in the A/V rack!

Curt,

Are you positive 68mm is the total clearance? I was thinking a Prolimatech Samuel 17 would be a good fit for this case, however, it is 45mm tall. This means a standard case fan would not fit as it would put the total at 70mm. Is there any wiggle room? I am looking forward to getting my beta case!

take a look at the zalman 8900 extreme too. that is at 60mm.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1927/

ok, well let me know
Some of us will be avidly waiting for THAT news, lol :)

Congratulations on meeting (and exceeding) the goal by the way.

Thank you!

And I am currently emailing back and forth with a foundry in Texas and one in California for getting more extruded aluminum to make more cases.

I may take orders for more cases within a month or so.
Curt,

No, I'm not 100% positive until I physically make one to verify. But its going to be close to that. But here are two possibilities to get more CPU cooler height:

1. Use 4.8mm standoffs rather than 6.35mm to get another 1.55mm.
  2. Mill out the top cover 1-2mm in the area over the CPU socket
Both options have their drawbacks, but a combination of both may be a possible solution.

The next batch of extrusions I will redesign for more clearance without compromise to the functionality of the case or increasing its size.

Edit: I can probably get another 3mm in CPU clearance with the new extrusions using 2.3mm top and bottom panels and the shorter standoffs.

take a look at the zalman 8900 extreme too. that is at 60mm.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1927/

That looks to be a viable option. Nice find!

Last edited:
Curt Thanks for the quick response! Would you want me to ship to you directly a samuel 17 to see if you can make it fit? (As long as you send it back with the beta case!)

The Zalman will fit vertically but it will most likely block component as it is a wide cooler - however, if someone has pictures I would like to be proved wrong!

Curt Thanks for the quick response! Would you want me to ship to you directly a samuel 17 to see if you can make it fit? (As long as you send it back with the beta case!)

The Zalman will fit vertically but it will most likely block component as it is a wide cooler - however, if someone has pictures I would like to be proved wrong!
Interesting proposition! PM or email me when you get a chance. :)

Use a Slim Fan =P, or another cooler? The Noctua with the fan mounted underneath, that's a great one, and in the same price range as the Prolimatech =P. I myself like all-around great Scythe solutions. I don't think any of the ones I have would have a problem fitting. Samuel 17 is just a big heatsink in terms of low-profile solutions.

I would definitely want to be on the list for the next batch.

Would it be possible to place a h60 in front of a 6.75" video card in a push pull config?

I would definitely want to be on the list for the next batch.

Would it be possible to place a h60 in front of a 6.75" video card in a push pull config?
Noted!

I have been asked about putting an AIO like the H60 in there. It should fit with a short GPU, like a 6.75" card. The push/pull configuration could intake through one side of the case and just exhaust right out the other side.

I'll have to look into that further. Shouldn't be hard, just have to add one more vent, since there is already a vent on the GPU side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back