M3A2 Beta Project: Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I have read of lots of people in this forum complaining about the noise on the SFX PSU from Silverstone, but because of the differentiated dimension on the High Power SFX PSU I was worried it might not even fit in the case CMadki4 is designing. :(

Could you please explain me, or give me a link where I could learn the difference between compatible and optimized PSU for haswell? I couldn't quite find it on google :( and I plan to soon get a haswell based build too, so. :p (a list of the optimized ones would also be apreciated :D)
I don't have any dimensions for these new SFX power supplies, but either way I can increase one dimension or another to allow them to fit. If they are only longer then more than likely they will fit the M3A2 as is. If they are wider than I only need to increase the depth of the case accordingly.

@CMadki4
So when you "finish" M3A2, Will people be able to purchase'em from your website while you just take'em out off the shelves. Or are only going to be available as preoders for a limited time?
How are you expecting this to be?

@CMadki4
So when you "finish" M3A2, Will people be able to purchase'em from your website while you just take'em out off the shelves. Or are only going to be available as preoders for a limited time?
How are you expecting this to be?
If the M3A2 project proceeds they will be available on the website. Minor customization to the standard model will add a few days to a week to deliver, but a full custom case will be longer. But standard models should be able to ship immediately provided I can keep them in stock.

Those new SFX PSU's look interesting. It seems they just extended them in one dimension by 30mm to fit in a 120mm fan.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039964520&postcount=3400

I'm guessing that will screw up the HDD placement in this case, it seems like SSD's wouldn't have any issues though. It could also interfere with longer GPU's. I guess making the case a few cm's wider in that dimension, or maybe just redesigning (again) the drive mounting plate would solve the issue.

Any news on this case, also will you have a textured finish such as Black Wrinkle Powdercoat like mountain mods?

Looks sweet, I'm looking for this kind of case small and quiet...

Any news on this case, also will you have a textured finish such as Black Wrinkle Powdercoat like mountain mods?

Looks sweet, I'm looking for this kind of case small and quiet...
Currently, I'm in the middle of 3 cases, 2 of which are Updawg's and DB's. These are the revised versions for better clearances and improved drive mounting.

For the standard finish I do a textured black powder coat, similar to MM but without the wrinkle. DB's case will actually be brushed natural aluminum finish and has nothing but a pinhole LED power indicator on the front. Going to be ultra clean.

The machined case concept (milling a block of aluminum) is much more time consuming than I originally estimated. For example, many of the 11 parts on the case take in upwards of 25-30 minutes to setup, machine and post-op (tap, countersink, deburr, etc.). If/when the cases go into full production I will need an alternative or supplemental means of producing parts or it will be too costly/time consuming to produce.

It's a slow going process and I really to regret not being able to finish them all sooner. But I do so greatly appreciate the patience and support of the community.

I just got the update from indiegogo. I'm sad that it didn't work out but I'm glad to have been a small part of the ride.

Project Cancelled

I come to you now with a heavy heart. I regret to inform you that M3 Cases and the M3A2 project can be no more. Numerous machine issues and repairs (along with various other large life expenses) have set me way behind schedule and put the project too far into the red to safely continue. The M3 Cases project has been discontinued.
6b7ed993-f856-4788-8930-474c4cf862ed.jpg

Those who have purchased an M3A2 Beta through the website or Indiegogo campaign will be contacted in regards to a full refund.

It pains me to cancel the M3 project. I sincerely apologize.

Humbly,
Curt (CMad)

The Details:

1. Spindle drive (VFD) failure; DOA. Seller unresponsive. Had to replace out of pocket. Case opened against seller through CC company; pending.
  2. Replacement VFD failure during machining of M3A2 beta. Spindle seized mid-cut, snapped bit, bent linear guide rail and cracked linear guide bearing. Part being machined was not salvageable. VFD covered under warranty, all other parts replaced out of pocket.
  3. Spindle bearing lockup. Spindle housing damaged; unrepairable. Covered under warranty, but 1 month delay from China. Purchased replacement from another vendor out of pocket so I could continue machining. Still awaiting warranty replacement.
  4. CNC PC failure. Caused uncontrolled machine movement. Snapped another tool and ruined part being machined. CNC PC still out of commission. Replaced with extra desktop PC, retrofitted to control machine.
  5. Now most recently, one stepper motor (Z-axis) overheating and skipping steps causing inaccurate machining. As well as replacement PC locking up/unresponsive after rapid multi-axis simultaneous movements. Hard shutdowns required.
Conclusion: machine is cursed.

Last edited:
I just got the update from indiegogo. I'm sad that it didn't work out but I'm glad to have been a small part of the ride.

I've been frustrated a few times in my life, but I don't think anywhere near as frustrated as I have been trying to make this project work.

I've appreciated your company on the ride. I hate to see it end.

shit shit shit. i am so sorry to hear this cmadki. this was a really awesome case idea and you made it work beautifully. i was not a purchaser, but i am sorry to hear that none of these cases will make their way out of your shop.

i hope you can get the CNC working reliably in the future. it's such a cool piece of kit, and such a waste if it's all for nothing. even if you dont pick up cases again in the future, i hope you can find something to put it to good use on. best of luck with the little one, hopefully this whole project didnt set you back so far you cant recover financially. i know youll still be active in the sff community and possibly we'll see some other modding from you? see you around the forums!

sorry to hear about the cancelation. I was really excited about a high quality aluminum chasis being built but I guess sometimes life gets in the way. Best of luck to you in the future and I hope this case can make a comeback at somepoint so I can buy one then.

Bummer man, was looking forward to it. Take care of yourself tho! We'll live without the 'perfect case'. ;)

Sorry to hear it. It can be tough pulling off a project like this, particularly alone. It's a learning experience at least, eh?

I'm sorry this project got canceled, it looked promising.

And if it's not too early to ask, what riser card did you used (maker/prod nr)? I've decided building my own case out of frustration, but i can't seem to find a reliable riser card. Thank you in advance.

shit shit shit. i am so sorry to hear this cmadki. this was a really awesome case idea and you made it work beautifully. i was not a purchaser, but i am sorry to hear that none of these cases will make their way out of your shop.

i hope you can get the CNC working reliably in the future. it's such a cool piece of kit, and such a waste if it's all for nothing. even if you dont pick up cases again in the future, i hope you can find something to put it to good use on. best of luck with the little one, hopefully this whole project didnt set you back so far you cant recover financially. i know youll still be active in the sff community and possibly we'll see some other modding from you? see you around the forums!
Thanks ekuest. Yes, I really want to be able to have the machine run consistently without issue. That will take time and money. Financially in general we are doing great, but I allotted X amount of funds for the M3 Cases projects and I far exceeded that along time ago thinking that I had made it over the hump. But costs kept adding up and it has become painfully obvious that the money and time required to pursue this project with everything else I have going on (full time job, wife, 16mo. old and another on the way in Oct.) that this isn't a reasonable pursuit given my other priorities. Regardless of how much I love doing it (when things actually were going right).

I hope to still piddle around in the SFF community beyond just discussion. I've love to still make a case here and there and do some mods, but time will tell.

sorry to hear about the cancelation. I was really excited about a high quality aluminum chasis being built but I guess sometimes life gets in the way. Best of luck to you in the future and I hope this case can make a comeback at somepoint so I can buy one then.
Thank you. I have been approached by a small handful of companies wanting to license the design so it may crop up elsewhere.

It's unfortunate that this has happened :(
Yes, quite.

Bummer man, was looking forward to it. Take care of yourself tho! We'll live without the 'perfect case'. ;)
Haha, thank you! Far from perfect, but with all the community input it sure seemed to be striking a chord with a lot of users. Thankfully the NCASE M1 team is forging ahead. Now that's the perfect case.

Sorry to hear it. It can be tough pulling off a project like this, particularly alone. It's a learning experience at least, eh?
Indeed. To try to design the case, build/program/operate the machine and do all necessary purchasing and logistics a lone is daunting. If it were my full time job, that would have been a different story. But I've got so much else on my plate that it's very hard to take what little time I'm off of work to head to the shop and isolate myself for hours on end. Not fair to my family.

It seems like you and Wahaha360 have struck a nice balance on sharing the load. And with Lian Li expertly making the cases that's not on your plate to deal with. And I believe one or two more members have been doing some PR work for you? Smart. You've tackled the NCASE M1 quite proficiently.

I'm sorry this project got canceled, it looked promising.

And if it's not too early to ask, what riser card did you used (maker/prod nr)? I've decided building my own case out of frustration, but i can't seem to find a reliable riser card. Thank you in advance.
Thanks DG25. I hate to cancel it. But it was the logical choice given my other priorities.

The riser car is Foxconn and the spacer I believe is Flextronics. A lot of the spare parts will most likely end up in an FS thread to help recover a little. PCIex16 risers and spacers, vandal ring LED switches, pwr/reset/hdd LED and switch wires and headers, ect. Maybe even some of the aluminum extrusions for those who want to dabble with their own CNC machines. I'll deal with stock later.

A few people have asked about getting a "kit" with the CAD files and materials/parts required to make a case. I may offer this. I'll have to refine the engineering drawings for those that aren't intimately familiar with the design (i.e. a lot that I keep in my head and hasn't been put down on paper).

Last edited:
Sorry to see your project come to a halt with all those issues. It was looking like it was going to be a really nice case.

Agreed. At least it's looking like there MIGHT be an option on the horizon (with Silverstone's Raven design they showed at Computex), though I really hope someone does something similar that looks more like a hifi component. Still, at least there's some potential possibilities.

Sad, but I still have the NCase and the ASRock BMW case to look forward to...

I'm sorry to hear about this, CMad. I hope you get your financial situation sorted out and eventually can come back to designing awesome cases.

Sorry to hear about these issues. Maybe you could work with Necere to do a collaboration for an M2 based on your experiences with this case. Get it made by Lian Li like the M1. Just a thought.

Sorry to see your project come to a halt with all those issues. It was looking like it was going to be a really nice case.
I truly think it would have been.
Agreed. At least it's looking like there MIGHT be an option on the horizon (with Silverstone's Raven design they showed at Computex), though I really hope someone does something similar that looks more like a hifi component. Still, at least there's some potential possibilities.
I do see a promising amount of attention being paid to enthusiast grade SFF from quite a few manufacturers. That's great for all of us.
Holy moly that's what it sounds like. Sorry to hear that.
Hahaha. Yeah, it sucks. The machine itself is actually good to go now. It's the NC computer that needs replacing. Time and money...
Sad, but I still have the NCase and the ASRock BMW case to look forward to...
NCase M1 is going to be an awesome product. While crazy looking, I do really like the looks of the BMW case. A little bloated (relative to my sense of SFF), but pretty slick.
I'm sorry to hear about this, CMad. I hope you get your financial situation sorted out and eventually can come back to designing awesome cases.
Thanks. Financially everything okay. I kept the M3 books separate from my personal/home/family books. But the M3 project was beginning to suck funds away from other things and ceased productive with all the machine down time. But I still need to recover some of my losses on the M3A2 side of things.
Sorry to hear about these issues. Maybe you could work with Necere to do a collaboration for an M2 based on your experiences with this case. Get it made by Lian Li like the M1. Just a thought.
Working with Necere would undoubtedly be a fruitful experience. However, he has some excellent ideas of his own similar to the M3A2 that he could pursue that I wouldn't want to interfere with.

You've said in the past you had previously made cases with sheet metal. Would it be possible to continue this project with 1.5mm thick aluminum sheet instead?

You've said in the past you had previously made cases with sheet metal. Would it be possible to continue this project with 1.5mm thick aluminum sheet instead?
I could and had contemplated it at one point. Actually, that's how the M3 series was originally designed. The M3A1 prototype was sort an all aluminum SG05 variant. The M3A2 was the slim version. I then started looking at hi end hifi, dac and amp systems and their heavy aluminum chassis and wanted to try it. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back