M.2 and SSD's 20 to 40 Gbps with NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic disappointment from Intel!!!

THEY ARE DELAYING THE NEW NVMe 750 SERIES - AGAIN!!!

Why on earth did Intel make such a to-do over their new NVMe 750 series with that countdown clock and all the adverts counting down to April 4th when they weren't ready and nobody could buy the SSD until May and now they've just delayed it until May 16th.

Dumb move Intel

Hardly any questions were explained in Intel's adverts or countdown day.

http://www.myce.com/news/intel-showcases-nvm-express-ssds-consumers-75324/

Intel SSD 750 Delayed Until May 16

What the hell are they thinking?

Epic disappointment from Intel!!!

THEY ARE DELAYING THE NEW NVMe 750 SERIES - AGAIN!!!

Why on earth did Intel make such a to-do over their new NVMe 750 series with that countdown clock and all the adverts counting down to April 4th when they weren't ready and nobody could buy the SSD until May and now they've just delayed it until May 16th.

Dumb move Intel

Hardly any questions were explained in Intel's adverts or countdown day.

http://www.myce.com/news/intel-showcases-nvm-express-ssds-consumers-75324/

Intel SSD 750 Delayed Until May 16

What the hell are they thinking?

I'm confused - it shows Intel 750 models in stock on NewEgg? Also some with the ETA as in the article. What's the difference?

I'm confused - it shows Intel 750 models in stock on NewEgg? Also some with the ETA as in the article. What's the difference?

Nope, if you look at Newegg it even says: ETA: 05/19/2015

It's just STUPID for Intel to do such a half-assed promotion a month and a half before these NVMe SSD's were ever even going to be available. It's like it was organized by noobs who know nothing about marketing.

what is the future of M.2 as a storage solution?
The biggest issue with it is that it takes up significant space on motherboards. It is the first storage solution to due so. PCI cards are the closest things. For the consumer it is really ideal to have an enclosed storage like current 2.5" SSD that connect with a cable. This would take out a lot of the compatability issues of length and width with M.2 at present. Has anyone heard discussion of such a format?

No, again, the Intel 750 SSD's were NEVER really available they were only available via pre-order. It does not matter what Newegg or Amazon says when Intel has made it clear that the 750 SSD's were not available until April 24th (today) and yesterday they just delayed it a few more weeks until May 16th.

I do NOT have some stupid "emotional investment" in Intels SSD's. I just think it's embarrassing to watch the botched Intel countdown clock, adverts and marketing collapse as if they've never put out a product before.

This really shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

lol...ok man. I've been shopping M.2 and PCIe drives for the past several days - the Intel 750 (at least the model that I linked to) was showing IN STOCK and ready to order. I had it in my cart several times. There were two other models showing PRE ORDER - which is why I was confused and I figured someone like you with so much emotional investment into the issue would have knowledge about. They looked the exact same except for the last 4 alphanumerics in the model number. But I couldn't find anything about it online.

Nope, no "breakdown" here, that's just you being a dick and trolling to make things worse. This isn't even about me in any way shape or form - only trolls do that. It's real simple, I'm just tired of all the stupid delays from Intel. They could've come out with the half-assed 750 series months ago.

I know I wouldn't want a half assed one, so I'm okay with them fixing shit up. Agreed on the silly marketing tho.

Anyway thanks for putting this thread together.. I didn't know about all this until today

The 750 was briefly in stock at Newegg. Ordered a 400GB Monday, got it today and I am running tests on it now.

Apologies, drescherjm, that was just a paraphrase from the video where she says:

"... so if we look over the past few decades your CPU performance is increased by 175x and if you look at mechanical hard drives, which is how you access most of your data today, they've increased less than 2x and that comes down to mechanical nature of hard drives..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epn1U0mVoXQ

I've been trying to get that image there but, it's nowhere to be found on Google images.
in 1995 we were LUCKY if you could get 2MB/s off of a mechanical hard drive. Now 2 decades later mechanical drives are busting 175MB/s (newest Western Digital Black 4TB seek times are were roughly in the 20's vs the 6-8 now. Seek times are typically RPM restricted on a mechanical drive so that is why it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years or so.

Anyone want to run some calculations about how fast a SSD needs to be such that it actually saves Jose more time in disk I/O than he's wasted in this thread by not understanding that companies do in fact announce products before they're available to purchase? I'm going to take a guess of about 50 petabytes/sec.

I think its unfair to jump on Jose the way some people are here. Is it true that it was delayed from major release numbers yes. It could be due to any number of reasons though so who knows beyond intel why.

Drives have made it into the wild though as some people on the forums (myself included) have them in hand and are using them. An interesting difference from the press releases and reviews is that the drives that are shipping out to customers actually have backplates on them to protect the backside nand.

Paper launches suck, no matter who does it, we jump on Nvidia and AMD when they paper launch videocards we should hold other companies to the same standards.

NVMe is here to stay and it will only get better from here. Pricing will eventually come down, and compatibility will broaden.

It actually shows that both are in stock and ready to ship right now when I click the link. Despite Intel's official delays, Newegg has been shipping these to consumers, albeit intermittently.

Edit - I see, you are referring to the SFF-8639 model, not the PCI-E model

Kinda annoying that I've waited all this time for SSD prices to fall below $0.50/gb and now with this new buss tech all of a sudden we're back to $1.00/gb :*(

^^^
LOL I think I was running RAID0 SSDs in 2007/8 - whenever they were first available. Before the X25Ms.
I'm ready for something big. This is just another incremental upgrade. Latency being its biggest pro.
Waiting for memristors or something in the memory speed range. Was running RAM disks in 1986..

You guys can debate, even argue the facts all you want. But, when someone starts trolling to stir things up, or when it turns personal, people get infracted or temp banned or perma banned as required to make the point. Doesn't matter who started it, if you're in it you're part of the problem. There is also an 'ignore' feature and it might be good for a couple of you to use it.

Keep it on topic, leave the personal insults out of the discussion or we'll have to do something about it. That choice is completely up to you.

^ LOL, no it is YOU who is doing the trolling - this is my thread. Grow up and get over it. Intel's marketing for the 750 series NVMe SSD's absolutely sucked horrendously. Intel should've just waited and did it right at Computex instead that shabby and utterly pathetic crap they tried to pull with that countdown clock and pathetic video back in April that did not answer a god damn thing, so, shut the fuck up asshole.

What do you think you're defending - do you even know? It doesn't look like it at all. You and a few others here are the trolls just arguing for argument sake.

Feel free to start your own thread as nobody is twisting your arm forcing you to post here. If you don't like this thread than simply get the fuck out and stop trolling.

LOL, still "Not available"

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...37&SID=rewrite

Than just fucking ban me then, I am sick and tired of the god damn TROLLS here and the mods don't ever do a fucking thing about it except attack me for defending myself against these assholes.

I will continue to defend myself against trolls. If you have a problem with that then address the trolls for once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back