$#@$, lost another bigadv

amdgamer

Supreme [H]ardness
We had a wave of severe lightning storms roll through this afternoon and this is the 2nd time i've lost a bigadv at 100%. Just as it was uploading, lightning struck very close by and the power flickered on and off. Folding2 was okay, but it crashed folding1 which was unable to recover as it simply downloaded a new work unit. To add insult, it was a 2684............

I happened to be playing Far Cry 2 on the gaming rig, and it survived as well although those types of fluctuations couldn't be good for the PSU's. I am starting to think that perhaps investing in a UPS is not a bad idea.

I have a UPS on all the rigs. I still need to get another 1500VA unit to keep the 2nd SR-2 up and running. Currently it is just on surge.

As it stands I can even keep a SR-2 up and running for around 3-4 min with a power outage. :D

yeah. spend $100 or so per rig and get yourself a nice UPS. It's money well spent.

I need some UPS units as well, SO's hairdryer has a habit of flipping a breaker when she 'forgets' and plugs it into the same circuit as the office.

Any specific recommendations?

An apc or cyber power with wattage output comfortably more than your pc needs.

IMHO, APC consumer units have gone seriously downhill in recent years. Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD FTW.

IMHO, APC consumer units have gone seriously downhill in recent years. Cyberpower CP1500AVRLCD FTW.

Agree, I have my "server" on a Minuteman E1500 and the SR-2 on a Cyberpower CP1000AVRLCD. I need to get another one once my desktop is back up. The Cyberpower saved me a few times in the last place I lived in, <100A pannel for a 2400 sq ft house. The toster would dim lights same with the HT sub when watching a movie.

This is what I have.... keep the power hungry SR-2 fed for a short while.

New girlfriend? :D

I need some UPS units as well, SO's hairdryer has a habit of flipping a breaker when she 'forgets' and plugs it into the same circuit as the office.

Any specific recommendations?

I just lost two -bigadv's so now I can join the club. One was at 100% (just hung when trying to upload) and the other at 82%.

3 hours until the 6903 was going to drop, and the power goes out again ... lose that and I am going to be pissed ......

H.

I just lost two -bigadv's so now I can join the club. One was at 100% (just hung when trying to upload) and the other at 82%.

I've got one that won't upload at the moment too. I think they must be having server trouble.

This is what I have.... keep the power hungry SR-2 fed for a short while.

My only gripe with my CyberPower 1350 is the software. It doesn't allow you to run .bat files on power changes. I'd like to be able to kill the fah processes when it goes to battery. Then when it goes back to AC to turn the processes back on. You never know how long the outtage will be, ya know? Higher end rackmount systems have software that allows this.

Heck I think windows has the ability to run a script on power loss. I did that on my WHS iirc.

Nothing worse than losing a finished (or nearly) big Wu.

I've got one that won't upload at the moment too. I think they must be having server trouble.

There was a report that the 69xx server was playing up earlier, Kasson says that it should now have been fixed enough that it will acceptuploads.

I wonder if it is possible to save mine. I think I still have the "results file", but I already deleted the queue.dat file.

There was a report that the 69xx server was playing up earlier, Kasson says that it should now have been fixed enough that it will acceptuploads.
I can verify this as I had a 6900 wu finally upload this morning. W.Feather had the same issue too and he had a wu upload as well.

Ohh, well here I thought it was my Crappy DSL's fault :eek:

Ohh, well here I thought it was my Crappy DSL's fault :eek:

It may still be playing up, i just rolled in to find the rig and house cold - turns out its been trying to upload since 19.45GMT so you may still be having trouble.

Back