the EVGA dark board will be comming out in a couple weeks. its an INSTABUY for me. no questions asked
i have a z490 APEX and a z490 gigabyte aorus ITX, i really like the ASUS board. but if i werent hard into overclocking ddr4, i would say that the gigabyte boards were totally fine for regular use cases. i didnt really have anything bad to say about the gigabyte it did a good job overclocking the cores. and a good enough job with memory.
figure out what features are important to you and get what meets your needs. the evga FTW board actually checks alot of boxes. for me having a U.2 port is important, and theres not many options out there for that.
if you care about future PCIE4 support do your homework because its not on all the brands.
Are you doing a custom loop OP? And/or going for large OC? If not you do not need these top end (500-1k) boards. They will have tons of features you will not use. If you're just going with air cooling and auto-everything settings just buy a solid mid or mid-high tier board.
Edit: I see the asus extreme comes with a ROG keychain, that alone is probably worth $100.
Thank you, I believe at this point I'm just going to either have to learn how to decrease the default voltage on the gigabyte board or go with the asus or evga. The evga's warranty and name alone demands respect, and judging by what I see from how it's dealing with voltage heat to the cpu makes it crazy for the price it's currently at. The ace looks incredible, but I have no experience with MSI so that is up in the air for me. I'm just nitpicking at this point. I just don't want needless heat pouring off the mobo. I don't plan on oc'ing unless it is made easy or by the guidance of someone knowledgeable on the subject. As I prefer longevity on my parts I usually am scared to tinker like that, but again would be down to if I had help. Need 3+ nvme drive slots. need a solid pcie 3.0 slot running at 16x, would be amazing to get dual 16x slots but I think that's incredibly rare. 6 sata slots is more than enough, in fact it's overkill for me. The thunderbolt stuff I really don't know what to do with. Never have had it wouldn't know what it's used for. Won't be using wifi but since most boards support it, why not. Don't plan on doing a custom loop so don't need any of that mess. Would if I could, always wanted to, but I'm prone to accidents and a 4k+ accident would murder my soul. A decent amount of modern usb slots, and a single ethernet slot is more than enough. Beyond that idk. Just don't wanna buy something and be 2 gens behind a few months later. That is my worry.