Looking for mobo suggestions

I apologize for the late response. I suppose just future proofing. That if it's at the cost of insane voltage settings by default, stuff I am not comfortable messing with, then I can't justify one over the other.
So chances are making sure the board has PCIE4 isnt of much use because chances are you arent going to buy a rocket lake cpu because there is no reason to take advantage of PCIE4. In a few years well have PCIE5 anyway.

So i wouldnt even worry about PCIE4 support/futureproofing especially since gigabyte is the only one doing it. And with their already terrible bios and flat out unwillingness to fix issues and bugs in their bioses that have been reported to them by enthusiasts and big name people i really would shy away from them. They have PCIE4 stuff on the board but because of that and they have ZERO chips to test it with who knows how bad this future proofing measure will work for them.

I agree with Furious_Styles. It doesnt seem like you are doing hardcore overclocking so no need for the high end boards. This is why i said MSI Z490 Meg Ace. Its a great all around board.

the EVGA dark board will be comming out in a couple weeks. its an INSTABUY for me. no questions asked

i have a z490 APEX and a z490 gigabyte aorus ITX, i really like the ASUS board. but if i werent hard into overclocking ddr4, i would say that the gigabyte boards were totally fine for regular use cases. i didnt really have anything bad to say about the gigabyte it did a good job overclocking the cores. and a good enough job with memory.
figure out what features are important to you and get what meets your needs. the evga FTW board actually checks alot of boxes. for me having a U.2 port is important, and theres not many options out there for that.
if you care about future PCIE4 support do your homework because its not on all the brands.

Are you doing a custom loop OP? And/or going for large OC? If not you do not need these top end (500-1k) boards. They will have tons of features you will not use. If you're just going with air cooling and auto-everything settings just buy a solid mid or mid-high tier board.

Edit: I see the asus extreme comes with a ROG keychain, that alone is probably worth $100.

Thank you, I believe at this point I'm just going to either have to learn how to decrease the default voltage on the gigabyte board or go with the asus or evga. The evga's warranty and name alone demands respect, and judging by what I see from how it's dealing with voltage heat to the cpu makes it crazy for the price it's currently at. The ace looks incredible, but I have no experience with MSI so that is up in the air for me. I'm just nitpicking at this point. I just don't want needless heat pouring off the mobo. I don't plan on oc'ing unless it is made easy or by the guidance of someone knowledgeable on the subject. As I prefer longevity on my parts I usually am scared to tinker like that, but again would be down to if I had help. Need 3+ nvme drive slots. need a solid pcie 3.0 slot running at 16x, would be amazing to get dual 16x slots but I think that's incredibly rare. 6 sata slots is more than enough, in fact it's overkill for me. The thunderbolt stuff I really don't know what to do with. Never have had it wouldn't know what it's used for. Won't be using wifi but since most boards support it, why not. Don't plan on doing a custom loop so don't need any of that mess. Would if I could, always wanted to, but I'm prone to accidents and a 4k+ accident would murder my soul. A decent amount of modern usb slots, and a single ethernet slot is more than enough. Beyond that idk. Just don't wanna buy something and be 2 gens behind a few months later. That is my worry.

I put a Z390 Meg Ace in a buddies system and OCed his 9700K to 5.3GHz. VRMs were fine.

Thank you, I believe at this point I'm just going to either have to learn how to decrease the default voltage on the gigabyte board or go with the asus or evga. The evga's warranty and name alone demands respect, and judging by what I see from how it's dealing with voltage heat to the cpu makes it crazy for the price it's currently at. The ace looks incredible, but I have no experience with MSI so that is up in the air for me. I'm just nitpicking at this point. I just don't want needless heat pouring off the mobo. I don't plan on oc'ing unless it is made easy or by the guidance of someone knowledgeable on the subject. As I prefer longevity on my parts I usually am scared to tinker like that, but again would be down to if I had help. Need 3+ nvme drive slots. need a solid pcie 3.0 slot running at 16x, would be amazing to get dual 16x slots but I think that's incredibly rare. 6 sata slots is more than enough, in fact it's overkill for me. The thunderbolt stuff I really don't know what to do with. Never have had it wouldn't know what it's used for. Won't be using wifi but since most boards support it, why not. Don't plan on doing a custom loop so don't need any of that mess. Would if I could, always wanted to, but I'm prone to accidents and a 4k+ accident would murder my soul. A decent amount of modern usb slots, and a single ethernet slot is more than enough. Beyond that idk. Just don't wanna buy something and be 2 gens behind a few months later. That is my worry.

You might want to wait for the refresh then. I think they're supposed to have PCI-e 4.0 support for sure. It sounds to me like your biggest requirement is NVME capabilities and right now AMD is better in that department.

So chances are making sure the board has PCIE4 isnt of much use because chances are you arent going to buy a rocket lake cpu because there is no reason to take advantage of PCIE4. In a few years well have PCIE5 anyway.

So i wouldnt even worry about PCIE4 support/futureproofing especially since gigabyte is the only one doing it. And with their already terrible bios and flat out unwillingness to fix issues and bugs in their bioses that have been reported to them by enthusiasts and big name people i really would shy away from them. They have PCIE4 stuff on the board but because of that and they have ZERO chips to test it with who knows how bad this future proofing measure will work for them.

I agree with Furious_Styles. It doesnt seem like you are doing hardcore overclocking so no need for the high end boards. This is why i said MSI Z490 Meg Ace. Its a great all around board.

I put a Z390 Meg Ace in a buddies system and OCed his 9700K to 5.3GHz. VRMs were fine.

Never saw page 2. The more I think about it you're right. I have a gigabyte board in my current 10 year old build and their "future proofing" in the way of being ssd ready is god awful. The sata 6 ports don't work as intended at all. Okay so forget gigabyte. How does MSI stand up to Evga and Asus in terms of ease of use and reliability? Considering they are all around the same price what would be the best board in terms of general quality?

You might want to wait for the refresh then.
The refresh as in the next wave of intel chips? Or boards that could be more suited for the task?

Last edited:
Never saw page 2. The more I think about it you're right. I have a gigabyte board in my current 10 year old build and their "future proofing" in the way of being ssd ready is god awful. The sata 6 ports don't work as intended at all. Okay so forget gigabyte. How does MSI stand up to Evga and Asus in terms of ease of use and reliability? Considering they are all around the same price what would be the best board in terms of general quality?

The refresh as in the next wave of intel chips? Or boards that could be more suited for the task?

Yeah next wave. Intel has been typically doing initial release (z370) then the refresh (z390) and I think the plan is to have better PCI-e in the refresh.

Well, if next gen GPU's are pcie 4.0 (AMD's current gen already are), then if you do a 4.0 x8/x8 split you would would effectively have the same bandwidth as 2 3.0 x16 connections. Also, keep in mind right now the z490 only has a DMI 3.0 link to the PCH... sharing that with 3 NVME drives if you plan any sort of RAID or any sort of copying/using them at the same time will limit their effective speeds. And if you plug in more than a single NVME, you will typically lose some of those SATA ports (depends on MB). Read the manuals to make sure what you're buying is going to support what you're trying to do. I am not sure if 11th gen is going to upgrade the PCH connection from 3.0 -> 4.0 or just give you 4.0 directly to CPU, but my guess is it'll only update the direct to CPU lanes (which nets you next to nothing most of the time).

I doubt gigabyte is the only one doing it, it's just the one I've heard of offhand. It means their is support built in though, so I imagine most will support it as it was known from release that it was coming. If the PCH supports a 4.0 link it would be well worth the upgrade for someone trying to run a lot of NVME's and SATA drives just from the doubling of bandwidth. That said, I haven't heard if the DMI link will support 4.0 or just the CPU lanes, sadly I feel it'll just be CPU lanes and useless in 99% of the cases. This is why AMD boards tend to do better for people using them for more workstation type loads, their interconnect is 2x the speed as Intels and they give 20 cpu lanes, 16 for GPU and 4 just for NVME. For gaming, Intel is faster, for other uses, it's not as clear cut.

That gigabyte seems nice, I'd say that would be fine. Besides that I'd probably get a Asus Hero or MSI Unify/Ace, I've had good experience with their boards on X299 and Z390.

Yeah next wave. Intel has been typically doing initial release (z370) then the refresh (z390) and I think the plan is to have better PCI-e in the refresh.
Are these refreshes routine. Any idea on when possibly?

Also, keep in mind right now the z490 only has a DMI 3.0 link to the PCH... sharing that with 3 NVME drives if you plan any sort of RAID or any sort of copying/using them at the same time will limit their effective speeds.

For gaming, Intel is faster, for other uses, it's not as clear cut.
Now this I did not know. Had no idea that I'd lose some speed if I were to use more than 1 nvme drive. Initially I was going to start off with one as the boot and storage drive, but soon after add a second. How would that effect the speed? Are we talking halving or something less dramatic? And if I were to add a 3rd? I guess I should of figured this would be a thing as they are pcie slots afterall... Not sure why I overlooked that. Primarily this build is for leisure so I don't need anything over the top as far as workstations go. However I would like to edit videos here and there for my own collection, nothing crazy. I figure the current speeds of nvme drives more than suit my needs. I think ultimately I'm just going to have to wait to see what is going to be changed up in the refresh. If it is in fact pcie related then that would be huge. Considering so much is happening in September I doubt the refresh will be far behind, or at least I hope so. I was going to wait til September anyhow for the new gpus, and to see what they do for pricing on the previous gen. Just makes sense to be patient at this point.

That gigabyte seems nice, I'd say that would be fine. Besides that I'd probably get a Asus Hero or MSI Unify/Ace, I've had good experience with their boards on X299 and Z390.
Only thing I got against the gigabyte is it's baseline voltage consumption, and as I am clueless in that field I'd be stuck with needless stress on parts and higher temps for nothing. Simple fix for most, but somewhat a deal breaker for me.

Now this I did not know. Had no idea that I'd lose some speed if I were to use more than 1 nvme drive. Initially I was going to start off with one as the boot and storage drive, but soon after add a second. How would that effect the speed? Are we talking halving or something less dramatic? And if I were to add a 3rd? I guess I should of figured this would be a thing as they are pcie slots afterall... Not sure why I overlooked that. Primarily this build is for leisure so I don't need anything over the top as far as workstations go. However I would like to edit videos here and there for my own collection, nothing crazy. I figure the current speeds of nvme drives more than suit my needs. I think ultimately I'm just going to have to wait to see what is going to be changed up in the refresh. If it is in fact pcie related then that would be huge. Considering so much is happening in September I doubt the refresh will be far behind, or at least I hope so. I was going to wait til September anyhow for the new gpus, and to see what they do for pricing on the previous gen. Just makes sense to be patient at this point.

Don't mean to scare you, the DMI link has a total of 4GB/s bandwidth (basically x4 pcie 3.0). So the most you can transfer at once is this. If you're using a single NVME and nothing else (aka, loading a game or something from disk) you can max out a single NVME at around 4,000MB/s (hard to give exact number, but 4GB/s minus a bit of overhead), so you will get full speed from that drive. If you are trying to copy from one NVME to the other, they are both sharing this 4GB/s link. So the most you can get from EACH drive is 2GB/s (1/2 of the available), which is still very respectable (and really only if they are all sequential reads using the entire bandwidth). In this case, NVME raid 0 is useless for max speeds as you can get the same speed from 1 drive as you can 2 on an Intel system. Again, it's dependent on how many things are actually being used at once on if you will notice the slow down. IF you are only hitting one disk at a time, that disk will mostly run full speed. If you're trying to use multiple disks at once plus the network, plus USB devices all sharing, you can start losing some performance. I would say, most people won't even notice in most use cases, just people trying to get the maximum performance out of things and are pushing the limits. I would hazard a guess that if you're just editing a few video's your not going to be trying to exceed 4GB/s read speeds most of the time, and in random IO you probably won't notice either. Just something to keep in mind as you're building though. I honestly don't know, their next CPU is supposed to support pcie 4.0 but they haven't really said what that means (cpu lanes or DMI link upgrade?) so waiting may or may not change anything for you. Also, since you mentioned video editing, this can affect capture cards as well, I was just chatting with someone recently and they are putting their GPU to x8 so their capture card can use the other x8, otherwise they have an LSI raid card, 2x nvme drives, LAN, etc all sharing that PCH connection and they were worried about about glitching with that many things sharing. Again, some work loads it can be noticeable, but this is a bit more extreme and not noticeable by most setups.

This is why we asked what you wanted to do with the system. If you're seriously pushing bandwidth on the PCIE bus, things like this matter. If not, then meh? I'm at the point where I'm seriously debating between TR3 and x570 for this reason, as I plan on using multiple NVMe drives, and debating performance between all of them and system RAM - but for most people, it doesn't really matter that much. It's just going to be "fast" - even if you're doing more than one thing at once.

Don't mean to scare you
Thank you so much for that clarification. Yeah I really don't see myself in particular noticing those slowdowns. It's all for leisure and nothing too incredibly demanding.

This is why we asked what you wanted to do with the system.
I think my ignorance played a role in my vagueness if I am being 100% honest. This is why I have always resorted to this forum for advice. I listened to you guys when I built my current pc 11 years ago and it's still preforming to this day.

Thank you so much for that clarification. Yeah I really don't see myself in particular noticing those slowdowns. It's all for leisure and nothing too incredibly demanding.

I think my ignorance played a role in my vagueness if I am being 100% honest. This is why I have always resorted to this forum for advice. I listened to you guys when I built my current pc 11 years ago and it's still preforming to this day.

In general, you don't need to worry about it. In general. Any of the ones listed will do fine; hell, with a good cooler, the gigabyte will do fine. Asus is probably the most "reliable" as they obey the written spec, but they're all "fine." If you're doing normal stuff - games, shit like that, any will last a long time. If you're doing a TON of real video editing, virtual machines, etc - then maybe we need to look more specific, but other than that, they're all ~fine~. Just pick the one you like and build away at this point. :)

In general, you don't need to worry about it.
Yeah I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point. Trying to minimize heat output as I ignored that the last time and without air on the computer room turns into a furnace, that's why I've decided to write off Gigabyte, but yeah.. Of the 3, MSI, Asus or Evga which would you personally go with if say games were your primary concern with editing coming second?

Yeah I feel like I'm nitpicking at this point. Trying to minimize heat output as I ignored that the last time and without air on the computer room turns into a furnace, that's why I've decided to write off Gigabyte, but yeah.. Of the 3, MSI, Asus or Evga which would you personally go with if say games were your primary concern with editing coming second?

You build once an eon. Go asus. Longest lasting kit I’ve had, and tends to be stable, fast, and somewhat idiot proof to get performance out of. It’s my standby and what I’d get for x570 but they like sata more then NVME, and my workstation use case needs more NVMe. I use gigabyte for custom gaming builds when I don’t mind quirks.

Le Sigh.

Gigabyte has the best VRM configurations in their Aorus boards.

It is NOT that hard to use their bioses with a little effort.

Heat on intel chips is manageable, especially if you set decent and reasonable power settings, this can be done on a gigabyte board (I have one).

If all you are doing is gaming and light-medium work you won’t see the high side of 100w except in peak scenarios for a few seconds.

I highly recommend Argus monitor and QuickCPU to assist with fan management and power management/tweaks if going down this road.

See my thread on these here: https://hardforum.com/threads/quick...6xxx-7xxx-8xxx-9xxx-10xxx-processors.1996926/

Le Sigh.

Gigabyte has the best VRM configurations in their Aorus boards.

It is NOT that hard to use their bioses with a little effort.

Heat on intel chips is manageable, especially if you set decent and reasonable power settings, this can be done on a gigabyte board (I have one).

If all you are doing is gaming and light-medium work you won’t see the high side of 100w except in peak scenarios for a few seconds.

I highly recommend Argus monitor and QuickCPU to assist with fan management and power management/tweaks if going down this road.

See my thread on these here: https://hardforum.com/threads/quick...6xxx-7xxx-8xxx-9xxx-10xxx-processors.1996926/

It doesn’t sound like he’s super hands-on; I think he’s looking for a “build easy, build once” setup. I love gigabyte (at least on Intel), but that’s not really their strongest suit. That’s what Asus (and to a lesser extent) MSI do. Not sure what ASRock’s specialty is.

It doesn’t sound like he’s super hands-on; I think he’s looking for a “build easy, build once” setup. I love gigabyte (at least on Intel), but that’s not really their strongest suit. That’s what Asus (and to a lesser extent) MSI do. Not sure what ASRock’s specialty is.

I haven’t had exposure to recent asrock boards, but my circa 2013 semi budget asrock board is still kicking and has been mighty stable with everything I have thrown at it.

A friend has a x370 tai chi which he has no complaints about.

It doesn’t sound like he’s super hands-on; I think he’s looking for a “build easy, build once” setup.
Pretty much this. I'll wait until September to see what the gpu situation is going to be like and keep an eye on the whole refresh situation but it's definitely looking like I'll be going Asus. Just to clarify though. You think I should go with Asus over Evga in terms of reliability and ease of use? I've probably asked this a dozen times already so I apologize. Just as a final say I suppose in regard to this.

I'm not tech savvy enough to attempt that. I wish I were because the aorus board, aesthetically looks much more appealing.

Much appreciated

So this means the aorus master will support the new cpus...? Building a pc was a lot simpler 10 years ago.

Manually setting the voltages isn't that difficult. I actually have a Z490 Aorus Master on my test bench now. Also, keep in mind that future BIOS updates may mitigate or eliminate issues. Supposedly, the 11th generation CPU's will use the current LGA 1200 motherboards. PCIe 4.0 support, is still up in the air. While the CPU's may very well support it, there are certain issues supporting it on existing motherboards. PCIe 4.0 signaling requires some design considerations which may or may not have been implemented on any given board. That said, higher end boards like the Z490 Aorus Master should be good to go. The box for the Z490 Aorus Master states it's ready for PCIe 4.0.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. I'll wait until September to see what the gpu situation is going to be like and keep an eye on the whole refresh situation but it's definitely looking like I'll be going Asus. Just to clarify though. You think I should go with Asus over Evga in terms of reliability and ease of use? I've probably asked this a dozen times already so I apologize. Just as a final say I suppose in regard to this.
I’ve never used one of their boards before. No experience. They’rea niche motherboard builder in some ways; high end specialty only

I haven’t had exposure to recent asrock boards, but my circa 2013 semi budget asrock board is still kicking and has been mighty stable with everything I have thrown at it.

A friend has a x370 tai chi which he has no complaints about.

My x299 taichi still runs pretty well, the only recent motherboard I was not too happy about was my cheap x370 gigabyte board but it was still functionally fine just did not like the bios that much or their software which looked like something from the MS-DOS days still but supposedly their Aorus stuff gets some more love then their lower end stuff.

I build my dad a PC some years ago with an i5 on an MSI Z97 and that one still runs fine, also used MSI back then for my Skylake machine which also ran fine (might still run fine, sold it years ago).

I built and AMD machine last week with a ryzen 3600 on a Asus TUF b550 gaming board, seems to run good aswell and also happy with my current main machine as in my sig

Thought about going EVGA a couple times but their mobo's are not that common around here.

Going OT, but to me the interface on the bios doesn’t matter, so long as it is functional

Going OT, but to me the interface on the bios doesn’t matter, so long as it is functional

If it's the kind of system you setup once and forget it, I'd generally agree. If its something you plan on tuning and tweaking a lot to get the most out of it, it matters to me.

If it's the kind of system you setup once and forget it, I'd generally agree. If its something you plan on tuning and tweaking a lot to get the most out of it, it matters to me.

Ayup. A one time annoyance of "where the hell did they pu.... oh, there it is" is different than "fuck me, I've got to go in here AGAIN?"

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
Is this relevant for the gen 11 stuff?
1597102759234.png

I've narrowed down to gig Aorus Ultra vs. the msi Unify ultra? I know I can use a $150 mb but if I spend $300 I'd have an option to put the 11th gen in. I'm not sure that is a good decision but I'm exploring it. I only game, I don't really oc but might. Just bought a 10600k, maybe I'll get a 11th gen i9 if I'm in the position and it gives me a boost that is needed in games. Plan to get 3080 or so.

I've narrowed down to gig Aorus Ultra vs. the msi Unify ultra? I know I can use a $150 mb but if I spend $300 I'd have an option to put the 11th gen in. I'm not sure that is a good decision but I'm exploring it. I only game, I don't really oc but might. Just bought a 10600k, maybe I'll get a 11th gen i9 if I'm in the position and it gives me a boost that is needed in games. Plan to get 3080 or so.
thats a perfectly good plan. the Aorus is just fine. well layed out bios. good power delivery, good heatsinks, 11th gen support if plans dont change. havent used the MSI board but i really wanted to get their Unify ITX but it wasnt available for like 6weeks after the CPUs launched. have heard good things. really looking forward to the new nvidia cards myself but i think alot of us are. 😋

Not to revive an aged thread but now with the new gpus announced and all are aiming for pcie 4.0, what exactly should one do if aiming for Intel? Are we just left out?

I have the Aorus Master for Z490. Quite happy with it.

Not to revive an aged thread but now with the new gpus announced and all are aiming for pcie 4.0, what exactly should one do if aiming for Intel? Are we just left out?
Intel users are left out for now. In fact, you will have to wait until the middle of next year before Intel will even begin to embrace PCI-E 4.0 support.

And it's all because Intel CPU platforms have been selling relatively poorly among DIY builders and enthusiasts compared to recent AMD CPU platforms. In fact, outside of servers most of Intel's mainstream CPU sales have gone towards the relatively low end, those budget pre-built PCs equipped with no discrete GPU whatsoever and 8 GB or less RAM. Hardly the target audience for PCI-E 4.0 in the first place.

Last edited:
And with Zen3 just about to release what is intel going to do to recover? I'm thinking of scrapping all my plans and just going amd at this point. Personally have never delved into anything amd cpu-wise because back in the day that was essentially a waste of money. Even now with all the good reviews a jaded consumer like me can't help but feel incredibly weary. I don't even know where to start with an AMD mobo, or ram... But this isn't the board to be asking those kinds of questions I suppose.

And with Zen3 just about to release what is intel going to do to recover? I'm thinking of scrapping all my plans and just going amd at this point. Personally have never delved into anything amd cpu-wise because back in the day that was essentially a waste of money. Even now with all the good reviews a jaded consumer like me can't help but feel incredibly weary. I don't even know where to start with an AMD mobo, or ram... But this isn't the board to be asking those kinds of questions I suppose.
Either wait or pick a good x570 board and run.

Back