QuickCPU Power saving - My settings (Relevant for 6xxx/7xxx/8xxx/9xxx/10xxx processors)

Keljian

Gawd
There have been some questions about how I managed to get the power usage of my 9900k down so low. What follows is what I've discovered over the last few weeks

Recently I lost my job (covid!), I'm a reasonably heavy user in terms of time on my computer, and I looked at how I could save on power on my desktop.

I've got a 9900k, per my sig. It is not known as the most power efficient/frugal cpu in the world, I never bought it for that reason. What I didn't realise is that when it isn't working hard, it can be extremely efficient.

The first thing I did was go into the bios and enabled speedshift, explicitly enabled all possible c-states (C10 and below) and set a negative offset for the processor voltage.

The second thing I did was learn a bit about Speedshift, and how it and Hardware Duty Cycling worked/what they are.

I looked for ways of checking that these were enabled (they weren’t) and then ways of enabling them.

I found that I could change the power plan variables manually to enable them, but this was fiddly and tedious.

Then I discovered Quick CPU. QuickCPU is a basic, open source piece of software that allows you to modify settings in your windows power plan, monitor use of the processor, and alter nearly every power setting the processor has.

I set up my plan specific to my needs of the computer, and have not noticed any slow-downs, hitching, stuttering or other ill effects in what I do.

Now this does not mean I'll ace benchmarks with the machine, but it'll still be within a few percent of the top speeds, while being a lot more frugal on power.

Specifically how I set my computer up is as below, most of the options are defaults.

Capture.JPG

Capture.PNG

Capture3.JPG

Capture1.JPG

One somewhat welcome side effect is that the room the computer is in is much cooler as a result of this.

I hope that this helps people a bit, and I'll edit this post to add stuff/make it more readable if there is enough interest. Feel free to ask questions - I'll do my best to answer them

Last edited:

PhaseNoise

2[H]4U
Thanks for the pointer to this tool. I love lean little utilities in this era of "everything is an electron app". Also, I fixate on efficiency for no real good reason.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I appreciate the screenshots of the settings pages. Gives me more info to work with. I was getting some blue screens when I tried to implement some of this though. Still tweaking to find something stable for me ;).

What does the "Turbo Boost Index" and "Frequency Scaling Index" do and why do you have them set at 60%?

Last edited:

Keljian

Gawd
Turbo boost index specifies when the load on the processor should trigger turbo, ie. 60% means when the load shoots up to 40% or greater at the base frequency, trigger turbo. The other frequency (under 40% in my case) is the base clock frequency which is 3.6ghz on the 9900k.

Frequency scaling index is the same but for the base clock frequency rather than turbo.

For completeness

Core parking index refers to the number of cores that are allowed to be parked 100% means all cores are to stay unparked, 10% means 90% of the cores can be parked.

I find it weird that they have done it this way and inverted the numbers, but it works

As to why I set them this way? Because those seem like reasonable targets, and I haven’t experienced any performance drops

Last edited:

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
A couple questions:
How do I make a custom power plan? It looks like you made your own.

If I screw up a setting in my balanced plan by not paying attention, how can I recover the original settings to start over? For example, core parking is now a regular feature of my balanced plan for some reason.

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
DOH! That makes more sense. I was looking in QuickCPU to create it and fix it. Forgot about just telling Windows to do it :oops:.