Looking for good headphones...

My advice is that if you are sitting at your desk, just use headphones and/or nearfield studio monitors. It's often very impractical to set up a proper 5.1 configuration around a computer desk. If you can't set it up properly, it's pointless, and you should use headphones instead for that surround sound feel. Use a proper hifi 5.1 setup for a living room.

For $300, you can get many different types of hifi headphones. I don't think you need to spend that much though.

I have set up a proper 5.1 setup just I didn't know if I should switch or not. Plus I hobestly dont have room for huge speakers, I'm looking at the mirage microsat things or the klipsch.

Ok well I guess I'll just buy the used pair I'm just kinda worried cuz I don't know what they have been put through before me

Well only you can know if you want to switch. The cons to a 5.1 system are that they are louder, bass can go through walls, and they have strict positioning requirements that when not adhered to, reduce the value of the system significantly.

If you CAN set up a 5.1 successfully, that's great, but there are also times where it's good to have headphones, and if you get a crappy sat/sub 5.1 system, those aren't exactly known for their musicality when you are listening to stereo music. Powered monitors will sound better.

As for buying used headphones, remember to sniff them for cat urine and give it a visual inspection for lice and you'll be fine. :)

If I upload some pics of the setup will you tell me which one you think I can do? I have to put my subwoofer behind me to the left cuz it doesn't sound as good under my desk. But my ceiling is all jacked up so it's hard to really do it right

Subwoofer is definitely an ear testing thing -- generally avoid corners as that makes the bass muddy and overpowering, but other than that, finding the best location for a subwoofer in a given room requires some plain old A/B testing. The goal is punchy accurate bass that is omnidirectional (you can't tell it's coming from the subwoofer, it just envelops you).

The stricter issue is where you are gonna put the 5 other speakers.

Yeah and my sub is in a corners. It seems like to be to strong and over power everything else... But idk where else to put it?

Last edited:
anywhere but the corners. move it around the room and listen to where it sounds best.

dsc0020ry.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-07-14

dsc0019io.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-07-14

dsc0018yn.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-07-14

dsc0017xl.jpg

By aus1095 at 2011-07-14

So i have room for a proper 5.1 setup but i mean look at that ceiling? It has to screw up the sound waves doesnt it? I was also wondering about going to some nice stuido monitors and addding a nice sub down the line. but yeah so thats the setup any tips on placing the sub..

It is actually better if the ceiling is lower but not when your speaker is right up there and the slant angle is going to cause reflections.

I would just get a good pair of headphones. Too much trouble and not enough space. You really need distance to get proper sound out of speakers. Nearfield monitors and a sub would work but headphones would work much better. Simply slap them on and viola! The room problem goes away.

My 5.1 is weird. I have my desk in the middle of the room, two tower speakers 8' apart and 9' from my seat. Then the center channel is above me by two feet and about 2 feet from me, like yours kind of. There is no wall behind it though. The rear surrounds are pretty close to me. About 4 ft apart and two feet behind me. It works, barely for surround but really well for music using the two tower speakers.

There are headphones out there that sound like a pair of speakers in front of you. The least expensive atm is the sony pfr-v1. I just traded for a pair and will have them soon. I got mine for the same reason. Wife is sick of the noise and I am tired of constantly tweaking the room for speakers.

Last edited:
Agreed: just get headphones. Bust out out a home theatre system when you have a living room to put it in, in the meantime a good pair of headphones will give you 95-150% of that "feel" (sound quality is cheaper to achieve in headphones at least on the entry-level).

With regard to Spaceman's comment about headphones that sound like speakers: I get the same exact sound just by enabling Dolby Headphone on my Xonar. I have nearfield monitors on my desk and when I am listening to music with DH, it perfectly externalizes the music such that it feels like it is coming from my speakers. Often times, I am legitimately confused about whether my headphones or speakers are on. I much more prefer that sound than having DH off and the music inside my head. It is also far less fatiguing.

The only issue I have with headphones is when it sounds like the sound is coming from inside my head lol. So if i ditch the surround sound get the headphones and then get a 2.1 setup? I still like to rock out when my parents arnt home so i fill the upstairs with sound from my room so i turn it up quite loud.

So what speakers should i look at?
I looked at some stuido monitors and there only like 40-50watts at $200 so thats not going to work lol
Do i need a sound card now?
Amp?

Since I listen to so much music and somtimes loud should i keep the surround sound?
I dont have room for huge speakers so thats why i was looking at like the mirage micro sats or the quintet speakers.

Your budget means that you are limited to either getting some ok speakers and an amp off of craigslist or getting some headphones that will probably melt your head.

Either could work. I got my Polk Monitor 10s for $150 used as they are about 30 years old. They are huge btw. Just an example. B/c those speakers don't really need a subwoofer I just use them for tv speakers so my wife can't hear me basting as much upstairs lol.

Hell man try these:

MEElectronics M6 about $20 on amazon or the JVC HARX700 or the Beyer 770 or 880 used under $200. Any of those would be a big improvement over what you hear now.

Over all I have $400 for heaphone setup and $500 for speakers... Now i can switch the money around as i need too... I would prefer to only spend like 200-300 on headphones and the rest my parens are paying for since its my birthday lol So i need a list to give to them.

I think I am just going to get the headphones and run them from my reciever, I just have to find other speakers and figure out what to do there. I am going to put the rest toward a psu and then liquid cooling Victor. I am just debating between 5.1 and 2.1 and still getting the loudness i want with clear sound. I also want a really good subwoofer cuz i listen to a lot of hip hop and sometimes i just want to listen to redicules bass lol. I honestly dont think my energy subwoofer is enough sometimes.

Last edited:
Wow idk I turned my energy sub up and went out side and I could hear it by the street :( lol I need some foam to line my walls for sound any places that it is cheap? i think for now i am going to get the headphones. I really like my 5.1 setup i just have to find a new place for the subwoofer its boommy and overwelling me. Ill play with it later. But idk between a 2.1 and a 5.1 i already have the Onyko now and i can just get 5 little smaller speakers that sound decent? Im not sure

Last edited:
OMG THOSE WERE SEXY lol ugh damn you fine i will get them... lol

Are they pretty good? New? I wont have that much money for about 2 weeks hope that deal is still going on...

Just a thought, since I ended up grabbing these... Phiaton MS 400s sound pretty nice, look awesome, and have a low enough impedance that an amp is not required (though one will help marginally). The bass in these is a little bit nicer than comparably-priced Sennheisers, but the high end is a little less nice than them. Overall, I'd take the Phiatons over the Sennheisers as a personal choice, but they really trade blows depending on your preferences.

Would those be a upgrade from my Polk audio speakers or like the klipsch or mirage speakers?

Would those be a upgrade from my Polk audio speakers or like the klipsch or mirage speakers?

Uh yeah. Littttle bit. The mirage are ok but the truth is that you need a certain size speaker to actually get proper sound. The mini satellites do sound good but are almost always missing something compared to larger speakers. 3" woofers do not do it for me at least.

Until you get a proper sized room, you will not get everything out of these speakers. They will still be better than a mini system. When you do get a room, instant upgrade in every respect. So it is buying not just for now, but years from now.

How would you fit those Jamo floorstanding speakers in your room? Pick a system that works for your room.

The only system that works for me is space wise is microsats and stuff. Tsi100s were to big to sit on my desk.

If I got those I would have the surround sound done and when I'm older I can move them into a front room or something. For now I would put victor behind my desk and put the tower speakers on the sides. The center channel is smaller than my current cs10 so that's why I was wondering.

Or should I just put the money toward headphones? And move to like a micro sat setup in august?

Get something you can use now. Another deal will come along when you are ready to have larger speakers.

I think you should get a compact 2.1 system and get some headphones as well.

Headphones for quiet time and positional audio, speakers for when you don't want to wear headphones.

What 2.1 system do you recommend?

I would have to sell my Onkyo unless I ran it in stero mode? Correct?

You can keep using the Onkyo.

I still don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. You PMed me about compact speakers, but then here you are swayed by big floorstanding speakers. Are your current speakers underwhelming in any way? If so, what would you like to improve?

I honestly want good sound but in a smaller package. My current rear speakers are some 100 RCA system and my front left/right are the rears for some acient HTIB. Plus I wanted something just small. But then Im realizing I can't get the fullness of then sound without huge speakers so that's what swayed me. I think I am going to order those headphones instead and then move to different speakers down the line. I know which headphones idk about which speakers... Idk if I want 5.1 or 2.1 I'm so uses to 5.1 it might be weird for me to go back....

Try out the Mirage speakers, you have a subwoofer so it'll be okay.

I would get a good pair of headphones first and see if they suffice. Upgrade speakers when you move out of that room.

Try out the Mirage speakers, you have a subwoofer so it'll be okay.

X2 if you want to go with the smallest 2.1, the mirage speakers will do the best in a cramped situation.

2 of these will be the best mirage 2 speaker setup for the money. The price is for 1 speaker btw.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543792306/mirage-omd5

If you want headphones that do not sound inside your head, Sony has two that are different than other headphones in that regard and are well under $300. The Sony MDR-F1 and the PFR-V1.

Last edited:
Gorgeous speaker. $150/speaker isn't bad.

Yeah I have heard these. Completely forgot about them. I was thinking about their 3" driver versions. The ones I listed are 5 1/4 drivers and sound amazing in 2.1. They throw out a crazy cool sound stage. Very well suited for movies and games. For music, well a good recording can sound really fun.

For $300 a pair? Good deal new. Not going to get a better speaker in this situation for the $$.

Yeah I have heard these. Completely forgot about them. I was thinking about their 3" driver versions. The ones I listed are 5 1/4 drivers and sound amazing in 2.1. For $300? Good deal new. Not going to get a better speaker in this situation for the $$.

Still, I have no idea where he'd put those speakers. His workspace looks cramped.

Naw there is room. Just place them on either side of a monitor. They do well in weird setups. Just have to get them at least 2' apart. Their omnipolar tweets really make for flexible installations. I have a cheap pair of old xbox branded versions of these. They work anywhere. I had them hanging flat against the wall, their base on the wall and speakers firing straight out. That worked.

Ok I will look into those headphones and those speakers 450 is right it is cramped but I will figure it out thanks guys

I have a quick question

the1stcav uses a sound card and runs optical from it to his yamaha reciever? Should i look into that? You all say no but I wonder why he did that?

I'm not sure what the question was, but if you are asking why someone would use a digital out on a soundcard...

The primary reason to use a soundcard's digital out over an onboard audio digital out, is for DDL/DTS Connect support so you can get multichannel audio over S/PDIF digital-out for computer games. S/PDIF cannot handle more than 2 channel PCM. It has to be encoded in real-time into a compressed mulitchannel format (DDL/DTS).

Back