Logitech G500?

gman

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone seen this a Best Buy yet? I'm pretty sure they'll carry it.

I wonder how many times Logitech is going to make minor changes to this mouse and resell it to us again.

That shape has been featured on probably half a dozen mice.

MX500
MX510
MX518
MX700
G5
G5 rev2
G7
G7 rev2
G500

Nevermind, it's been used at least 9 times that I can think of.

I wonder how many times Logitech is going to make minor changes to this mouse and resell it to us again.

MX500
MX510
MX518
MX700
G5
G5 rev2
G7
G7 rev2
G500

If it wasn't such a good shape, I might share your complaint.

If it wasn't such a good shape, I might share your complaint.

Agreed.

I've stuck with my MX518 for over 4 years simply because no mouse I've seen has surpassed it for me. Sure the G5 was its successor and touted some improved tracking, but they just HAD to change the position of the + and - buttons. I use the + button a LOT on my MX518 because its a perfect spot for a button to bind a quck command (melee, throw grenade, binocs, etc). I've tried other mice and the moment I start using them I immediately miss having a button directly in front of the mouse wheel.

The G500 shows promise, though. The addition of a third thumb button and the two buttons on the edge of the left mouse button, not to mention the tilt mouse wheel, high dpi, and adjustable weights may just have sealed the deal for me.

It's not a huge complaint mind you. I have many of the mice I mentioned above. Most of them in fact. However my G9 is my daily driver and i can't imagine going back.

Is there any bigger third party grips for the G9? Even the wide-load grip leaves my hand to grind on the mousepad.

Is there any bigger third party grips for the G9? Even the wide-load grip leaves my hand to grind on the mousepad.

I guess it depends on how you hold the mouse. I don't have any problems with the G9, but find many other mice too small.

It's not a huge complaint mind you. I have many of the mice I mentioned above. Most of them in fact. However my G9 is my daily driver and i can't imagine going back.

My G9 has been relegated to my [H] workstation. The G5 v2 is my standard.

That shape is to most comfortable mouse I have used. I agree it is small but what part of the of you hand grinds on the mouse pad? I would imagine the bottom of the palm. However I use a really I high sensitivity so almost anything is just a wrist flick away. I never really move my hand across my mouse pad that much when navigating with a mouse.

However these Logitech prices are getting ridiculous. $70 for a mouse? $200 for keyboard. I mean I know they make good products, but I think they are letting that go to their heads when it comes to adding a price tag...

However these Logitech prices are getting ridiculous. $70 for a mouse? $200 for keyboard. I mean I know they make good products, but I think they are letting that go to their heads when it comes to adding a price tag...

Logitech wants its G-series to be a premium brand, and that is how it is done.

Wow i was going to order a g9 this weekend, guess i'll wait for the g500. Have a g5 now and I really miss having 2 thumb buttons, 4 is even better ;)

It's hard to improve on perfection.

(I'm not sure if I'd really call it perfect, but it's as close to it as I've ever seen)

Logitech wants its G-series to be a premium brand, and that is how it is done.

If they want it to be premium brand they need to give them better warranties... 3 years is good on the mouse, but my G11 and only came with a 1 year warranty and 2 months after it was up the back light turned into a strobe light and then the whole thing died. I really like the G series but I was pissed about a $70 dollar keyboard dying after a little more than a year, never mind after a $200 dollar one shits the bed after that short amount of time....

I think for $200 they should give you a 5 year warranty or something...

If they want it to be premium brand they need to give them better warranties... 3 years is good on the mouse, but my G11 and only came with a 1 year warranty and 2 months after it was up the back light turned into a strobe light and then the whole thing died. I really like the G series but I was pissed about a $70 dollar keyboard dying after a little more than a year, never mind after a $200 dollar one shits the bed after that short amount of time....

From what I've read (never had to deal with it myself), Logitech will often replace faulty products even if they aren't technically under warranty any more.

I would agree with that.

Was there really a G7v2? I don't think color changes count. The G5 came in a lot of different color schemes.

Yep, I've got the G9, G5 v.1, 2 - MX518. The only complaint I have for Logitech is the play in the buttons. I like my mouse buttons to have a nice solid click without the button moving or feeling loose. I've bought too many like that and have returned them.

Anyhoo, I'm also looking at the new Coolermaster gaming mouse. I think it's called the Sentinel X64. Has a frikin OLED on it for seeing the dpi adjustments. :eek:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-001-CM&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=

Last edited:
From what I've read (never had to deal with it myself), Logitech will often replace faulty products even if they aren't technically under warranty any more.

I tried, it was seriously only 2 months after and I tried twice with two Reps. Neither gave me the break I was looking for. :(

My G9 has been relegated to my [H] workstation. The G5 v2 is my standard.

My gaming computer is where I do most of my [H] work. Though everything is on a network drive in case I screw the machine up. Still it remains my favorite mouse right now.

I've had to deal with them twice previously (neither product under warranty), and they replaced the product after I explained what the issue was. One product was a set of bluetooth headphones meant for use with an iPod I picked up on a slickdeal, and the band started cracking. I explained this and they said "That's not right...we'll send you a new pair immediately." They took down my info and sent me a new pair, and said "keep the broken ones" so I didn't have to worry about sending them back.

The other time was for an MX510, and they replaced it without any issues. While I might wish they had better quality control, I can't fault their customer support.

Yep, I've got the G9, G5 v.1, 2 - MX518. The only complaint I have for Logitech is the play in the buttons. I like my mouse buttons to have a nice solid click without the button moving or feeling loose. I've bought too many like that and have returned them.

That's odd, because I currently own all of those mice (except for the G5 v1 which I previously owned) and all of them feature solid clicks with no play in the buttons to speak of. The only exceptions I can think of are the side buttons on the G9 which naturally have some play due to the swappable grips but are still very usable, and the side buttons & MMB on the MX 518 which have a slightly springy feel before they click compared to their newer mice. The MX518 is still a hell of a mouse though, and I use it as my primary at work without a single complaint.

The buttons on my G9 (save for the side buttons) and G5 v.2 offer an extremely tactile click, with the G9's main L/R buttons being quieter and requiring less pressure to activate. Like the MX 518, I love both of these mice.

With that said, have you tried any Razer mice? I can't stand the ergonomics of most of them, but man do the main buttons feel solid and tight. My DeathAdder's buttons have a bit more play than that of the G5 v.2 but the L/R buttons on the Lachesis were super solid and satisfying to click. It's been so long since I've owned the Copperhead that I can't remember but I'm wanting to say they were similar. It's just too bad about the oddly-positioned side buttons on most Razer mice -- makes them darn near unusable for me. That's why I still have the DeathAdder and have sold all the rest; I just prefer the ergos of Logitech mice over the majority of Razers.

I found the buttons on the SideWinder G5 to be satisfying, but that thing was almost as large as my hand so it too had to go.

My gaming computer is where I do most of my [H] work. Though everything is on a network drive in case I screw the machine up. Still it remains my favorite mouse right now.

Hm. You mobo guys must have very different setups.

Its available on amazon right now, but officially releases on logitech.com in October....Thats what they told me when I called logitech at least....

I've got a collection of MX518's but this G500 looks good enough to compete for my undying love.

I bought a G5 a few years ago and the left click button broke on me after 5-6 months.
I disassembled it, tested and resoldered it to the board and still nothing. To say the least I was pissed spending that much non a mouse and having it fail like that. I think I still have it in a drawer somewhere.

This G500 looks really good. Now that I have a much much bigger budget for hardware I might just buy this and give Logitech mice another go.

I bought a G5 a few years ago and the left click button broke on me after 5-6 months.
I disassembled it, tested and resoldered it to the board and still nothing. To say the least I was pissed spending that much non a mouse and having it fail like that. I think I still have it in a drawer somewhere.
Why on earth didn't you just RMA it?

I keep buying Logitech mice, I have three Marble Mice (trackball) one at work, one on my desk for my laptop and my wife has the other after I let her use it one weekend. My G9 is on my gaming desktop, and I have an MX518 that I use with my gaming laptop when I am downstairs watching TV.

I love my Logitech accessories. I have been buying the cheap ($10) Logitech optical mice at work, plus I was buying $19 Logitech keyboards for my users at work. These things are rock solid.

I had a MX500 that I RMAed a few years after I bought it. I don't know if it was out of warrenty or not, but they sent me a new one. I think it is still around here somewhere.

I only need to say one thing: G9

I am in the minority of people to whom that oft re-used shape does not appeal.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking....

I mean, hell, they don't even ask you to send back the broken one.

One of the main reasons I'm a Logitech whore :eek:

Their RMA policy of basically "just send them a new one" is awesome.

Why on earth didn't you just RMA it?
well for 1. I was broke. There was no way I wans going to pay retail for it so I bought it new off ebay for about $30+shipping.
It came in the box, sealed and never opened.

Honestly I did not think that Logitech would rma it if I bought it off ebay. Everyone has bad feelings about product on ebay.

well shit, I still have it in my drawer, maybe I can rma it now if they take anything in. (bought in 06-07)
I dont want to waste my time though.
(btw, I love logitech but I never had to rma anything before. I own a 2 usb headset, g15, g25, and the 'broke'g5)

MX500
MX510
MX518
MX700
G5
G5 rev2
G7
G7 rev2
G500

Too bad only 1 of those was worth a shit.

I love my mx518 but its starting to get some wear. I might look into this mouse it looks amazing.

After looking @ it one more time, it looks as if the shape has been altered. It looks more like my Ikari laser...wider w/ proper thumb support. Also, it's got 3 thumb buttons, and 2 more up and to the left. The wheel's always nice and it is corded. Perhaps even the new laser feels smooth and less jittery ala G5.

I wonder why they went back to a XXX digit format too. Seeing as the last good Logi gaming mouse was the 518, it seems fitting. I'm intrigued.

Back