Logitech G500?

I think the pictures posted here make the mouse look better than whats on the website.
...and to think I was just getting used to the blue crack finish on the 2nd gen G5.

it scrolls a lot easier than the g5, and similar to the g9, except if feels like the wheel, itself, it a little larger.
and by default the 3rd button is set to "generic button" which can be changed to do anything one wants, currently I have it set to reload :)

Thanks. So the third button doesn't do anything in Windows unless you install SetPoint, right?

And are you using Windows 7? I tried installing SetPoint 5 for my G9 and apparently it's not supported yet. V4 supposedly works fine but the G9/G500 require V5 afaik.

I think the pictures posted here make the mouse look better than whats on the website.
...and to think I was just getting used to the blue crack finish on the 2nd gen G5.

thanks, I just got a new Nikon.. your compliment means a lot to me :D I tried to shoot some without the flash, but they ended up awful

The "MX" shape is horribly flawed in my opinion. Your pinky finger basically has nowhere to go and the thumb wrests if that's what you want to call them are strange. I never felt like I was holding/in control any of the mx mice I've owned. I felt like my hand was just hovering over it. I much prefer the 3.0/Death Adder shape or even the Ikari's shape.

Those are my exact thoughts. I had to sell my deathadder to a friend because I didn't like the rubbery material on the top. I think it would have been perfect if they swapped the top with the side's slick, and put the rubbery on the sides. The top created just enough friction between my palm to effect my down movement. (I'm probably the only person with this problem.) I had to purchase a 5th 3.0 (I think its been 5, maybe more). I thought the Deathadder was going to be a keeper after I fixed the lift off distance via scotch tape ^_^.

I can almost agree with you. Have you tried the Logitech G9? It's very different from the MX500 shape that came out so many years ago. I have almost the exact opinion on the MX500 shape as you do. The pinky has no place to go and the thumb rest never felt right to me. The G9 seems to have solved these issues for me.

I'm ashamed of myself because I haven't even held a G9 at a store. I need to try one out at least. Also just checked at Amazon, had no idea they were 50$, I was thinking they were like $80+.

The g500 shape does seem to be a little improved over the other MXs. I wish they would flare out the right side by a tad and not have the curve in as sharp. I need to try the Sidewinder sometime too. I'll get around to it when my current 3.0 dies which will more than likely not be that far in the future. I think I get a good 1.5 years out of them before the left click starts acting up. I think the feeling has just been cemented in my mind since it was my first optical mouse and playing cs with it since I was 12. I need to move on :eek:

Last edited:
My G9 has a busted scroll wheel and the rubber stuff on the side is flaking off. So many hours of usage. I've had mine since the week they came out and mine is just beat to shit now after so much use. The scroll wheel only broke a couple days ago. (It no longer works as a middle button.) It's driving me nuts. I tried to use a G5 Rev. 2 and I couldn't stand it so I plugged my G9 back in. I'll get a G9x to replace it here in the next couple of days.

I'm I really the only one that thinks the mouse looks ugly in those pics? I don't know, those spots look...used.

nope, I own the mouse and took the pics, I think its ugly too.. its really not that bad in person.. but yes its ugly.

My favorite looking mouse was the blue MX510. I mean, it IS a gamer's mouse and they know we like color. Look @ our pc's! Why not offer in different colors? Could you imagine a yellow one w/ a black racing stripe down the middle?! Or maybe just solid dark green or blue?

Have any of you felt/seen the blue G5 in person? Now that was an ugly mouse!

I still wish we could have interchangeable backplates on this mouse. that makes the most sense to me: to market something for every pc user or to coordinate with every pc gamer

Last edited:
I've owned a first gen optical logitech, a mx 510 , mx518, a g5 and currently since jan of this year a g9. All good mice but my g9 is the best one yet.

I haven't even held a G9 at a store. I need to try one out at least. Also just checked at Amazon, had no idea they were 50$, I was thinking they were like $80+.

I went with a g9x after my mx died. The key to the G9's, and its hard to realize just handling one in a store, is their customization options. There are 2 different sized grips in the box and a third available separately. It also has a weight system so you can get the feel you are used to, if coming from a wireless mouse with a heavier feel from the battery or whatever.

So you end up with all this crap for the mouse:
P1000903.JPG

You can also special-order a custom grip, something I couldnt avoid the temptation for :)
smallmouse.jpg

When BestBuy has it in store I may go pick it up. I like to buy/try/return if i dont really like it.

When BestBuy has it in store I may go pick it up. I like to buy/try/return if i dont really like it.

Same here I'm pretty picky about how the buttons feel so if I get one that has sucky buttons then I'll try another. Sorry, but there is no excuse for sucky buttons.:confused:

Imyourzero: I finally read your disertation on the aesthetics of the Ikari and you're a bastard for bringing up the Mattel/Hasbro wheel.

More thoughts on this new G500 please! Especially from dudes that liked their MX518, but hated everything else!

I am also debating buying one of these and retiring my faithful old MX518 which has served me flawlessly for 5 years. Feedback on the G500's software is also highly welcome

I ended up with the G9x to replace my G9 that has the broken scroll wheel button. I've been looking more and more at the G500 and I can see enough differences in the G500 that I'm starting to think it might be worth a shot. One of these days when I see one in the store I may pick one up so I can return it in the event I don't like it.

is there any g9x / g500 user who could please verity that his mouse tracks with no problems on an icemat / steelseries experience surface ? just curious

I may very well give this a shot here soon if Frys/BB put that sucker on sale. Although I REALLY wish they offered it in a blue finish ala the MX510. Right now it looks like another mouse Dan_D got ahold of for some lasso fun. :)

Wow I'm just now finding out about this G500.

Yall got it wrong. This mouse is a cross between the MX1000 and a MX518. I've been searching for a wired MX1000/MX518 combo style mouse for the last 2 years, and this is almost exactly what I've been waiting for. I can't stand my MX1000's quirks and the shape of the MX518 fits my hand better than the MX1000.

Love this mouse, just got it in yesterday. The wheel when it is unlocked seems to spin for a good 15+ seconds. Delicious...

Still have and use my MX518 and G5, the shape is similar enough that I instantly loved it. I retired my MX700 though with this G500. RIP!

I just received my G500 today.

I've been using a MX510 and later on a MX518 for years because no other mouse compared, until now.

I absolutely love the feel and button position of the MX518. The mouse fits my hand like a glove, and the positions of the thumb buttons and the + and - buttons is perfect. I frequently use the + button as a melee attack or binocs because it is right there in front where I can hit it easily. The - button is used mostly for grenade throwing and the window flip button is used to bring up stats/journals/etc...

The G5 was a major disappointment for me... No window flip button, + and - buttons inconveniently behind the mouse wheel, and one thumb button (until the second gen G5 came along). Skipped it.

The G500, thankfully, has eliminated all of my gripes about the G5. The + and - buttons are now at the edge of the left mouse button, and are even easier to reach than on the MX518. It has 3 thumb buttons. The more, the better. It has a weighted mouse wheel with a toggle button for frictionless and "clickity" rolling. It has a total of 10 programmable buttons vs 8 on the MX518. The wider thumb rest makes this mouse even more comfortable. It has adjustable weights. The list goes on and on...

I've searched for years for true successor to the MX518. I think I've finally found it... It only took 5 minutes of use to realize that.

Sounds awesome, CompuG##K. Any feedback on the software? One thing I like about my current setup is using the "uberoptions" mod to enable a lot of customization on the Logitech mouse software, and I'm not sure this is something I can do with the G500.

Sounds awesome, CompuG##K. Any feedback on the software? One thing I like about my current setup is using the "uberoptions" mod to enable a lot of customization on the Logitech mouse software, and I'm not sure this is something I can do with the G500.

The G500 uses the same Setpoint version as the G9 and G9x. It's quite a bit different from what I was used to in the regular Setpoint for the MX518. I'm not sure if uberoptions will work for it or not.

This version of Setpoint does seem to have a few more options regarding button binding, macros, and independant control of X and Y sensitivity. From the looks of it, you can control how many levels of sensitivity (up to 5) you want to scroll through using the + and - buttons and the dpi (X and Y synced or unsynced) of each level.

Perhaps the best part is that you can save all your settings to the mouse's onboard memory so that you don't need to install Setpoint if you want to use the mouse on a different system.

Right now I have my sensitivity cranked all the way up to 5700dpi and the pointer speed is knocked down to 2 from 5 to compensate. The result is a mouse pointer that is VERY precise. I can see this thing being very useful in photoshop when making very minute movements to the mouse.

The mouse itself glides much better than the MX518 thanks to the larger feet. I find myself tracking opponents and getting headshots much easier now. I have a single 4.5gram weight in the adjustable weight cartridge. I may tweak with the weights later, but right now it feels pretty good--just a little lighter than my MX518 modded with the weight from a MX510.

So now wait. If I get this mouse, I would need to use 2 versions of setpoint? One for my Illuminated keyboard and one for the mouse?

Has anyone seen this at a Bestbuy yet? I wanna see how this thing feels before getting it and being at school really limits my store options as they are all over an hour away. :(

So now wait. If I get this mouse, I would need to use 2 versions of setpoint? One for my Illuminated keyboard and one for the mouse?

Yes its retarded. For whatever reason Logitech decided to give the gaming mice starting with the G9 its own flavor of Set Point.

I have the regular Set Point running for the Wireless G7, the G9 flavor of Set Point, and for teh G19 keyboard Logitech G-Series Profiler and Logitech LCD manager. So like 4 apps. I guess I could dump regular Set Point, but I still use my G7 some times.

Yes its retarded. For whatever reason Logitech decided to give the gaming mice starting with the G9 its own flavor of Set Point.

I have the regular Set Point running for the Wireless G7, the G9 flavor of Set Point, and for teh G19 keyboard Logitech G-Series Profiler and Logitech LCD manager. So like 4 apps. I guess I could dump regular Set Point, but I still use my G7 some times.

What do you have Set Point configuring for the G7? I'm not using any software with mine and it does everything I need it to do.

I think logitech is making a rather huge mistake not bringing this to best buy. They have brought almost every other mouse to them why not this one? I most definitely will not purchase this mouse unless it is from BB.

How different would this feel compared to a Razer Diamondback 3g? It isn't like I couldn't conform, but I like the feel of my mouse currently. Worth the upgrade if I had spare cash?

Can you bind the + and - buttons to a keybind like the MX518?

I never have the need to change sensitivity but I want to be able to change every button on the mouse like the MX518.

Back