Logitech G500?

I just noticed that the G500 does have a revised shape. If you'll notice, the thumb area has been extended like they've done on their MX1000, MX1100 and MX Revolution mice. The Logitech G9 also features a similar style "thumb rest" area on the wide version of the included grips.

So the shape of it isn't quite like the MX500, MX510, MX518, MX700, G5, G5 Rev 2., G7, and G7 Rev 2. mice after all. I might have to try one myself since my Logitech G9's scroll wheel just broke yesterday. It still turns but the middle button no longer works.

It's hard to improve on perfection.

(I'm not sure if I'd really call it perfect, but it's as close to it as I've ever seen)

The "MX" shape is horribly flawed in my opinion. Your pinky finger basically has nowhere to go and the thumb wrests if that's what you want to call them are strange. I never felt like I was holding/in control any of the mx mice I've owned. I felt like my hand was just hovering over it. I much prefer the 3.0/Death Adder shape or even the Ikari's shape.

The only good mouse logitech has made in the last 4 or 5 years is the MX Revolution. One of the most comfy mice I've ever used.

The "MX" shape is horribly flawed in my opinion. Your pinky finger basically has nowhere to go and the thumb wrests if that's what you want to call them are strange. I never felt like I was holding/in control any of the mx mice I've owned. I felt like my hand was just hovering over it. I much prefer the 3.0/Death Adder shape or even the Ikari's shape.

The only good mouse logitech has made in the last 4 or 5 years is the MX Revolution. One of the most comfy mice I've ever used.

I can almost agree with you. Have you tried the Logitech G9? It's very different from the MX500 shape that came out so many years ago. I have almost the exact opinion on the MX500 shape as you do. The pinky has no place to go and the thumb rest never felt right to me. The G9 seems to have solved these issues for me. As for the MX Revolution, it does indeed have a good shape to it, but I preferred the MX1000 and MX1100 to the MX Revolution. I returned my Revolution and I own an MX1100. I use it on my HTPC where performance isn't a huge issue. For my gaming computer I could never use anything outside of the G-Series. Especially not in their wireless mice. The only one that ever stood up to gaming in regard to responsiveness was the G7. (I still own two of them.)

If they want it to be premium brand they need to give them better warranties... 3 years is good on the mouse, but my G11 and only came with a 1 year warranty and 2 months after it was up the back light turned into a strobe light and then the whole thing died. I really like the G series but I was pissed about a $70 dollar keyboard dying after a little more than a year, never mind after a $200 dollar one shits the bed after that short amount of time....

I think for $200 they should give you a 5 year warranty or something...

lol Sony gave a 1 year warranty on a 600 dollar PS3. Isn't that wonderful? It's lousy but that's what they do. That's great confidence in your products.

I can almost agree with you. Have you tried the Logitech G9? It's very different from the MX500 shape that came out so many years ago. I have almost the exact opinion on the MX500 shape as you do. The pinky has no place to go and the thumb rest never felt right to me. The G9 seems to have solved these issues for me. As for the MX Revolution, it does indeed have a good shape to it, but I preferred the MX1000 and MX1100 to the MX Revolution. I returned my Revolution and I own an MX1100. I use it on my HTPC where performance isn't a huge issue. For my gaming computer I could never use anything outside of the G-Series. Especially not in their wireless mice. The only one that ever stood up to gaming in regard to responsiveness was the G7. (I still own two of them.)

The MX1000 is another great one I overlooked. I would try out the G9 but it's laser and after using a G5 and Ikari Laser I've still got a sour taste in my mouth. They just don't play well with extremely fast hand movement. I've been using the Death Adder with the 1.28 firmware that removes prediction so it feels pretty much like my old 3.0 but performs like the death adder. :D I've got no reason to change mice. The Ikari Optical is a close 2nd but it has prediction so it's just under the DA in my ranking system. :D

The next thing I need to do is get me the clicky deck legend.

Last edited:
Have ANY of you allowed your paws to come to grips w/ the Steelseries Ikari Laser? It's echelons above anything else out there when it comes to comfort. The sensor's excellent, low lift off, lightweight mouse, great matte surface, cord "self manages", and well...it feels like an extension of your own hand.

That's what this reminds me of. I'll never give my Ikari up though. :D

The MX1000 is another great one I overlooked. I would try out the G9 but it's laser and after using a G5 and Ikari Laser I've still got a sour taste in my mouth. They just don't play well with extremely fast hand movement. I've been using the Death Adder with the 1.28 firmware that removes prediction so it feels pretty much like my old 3.0 but performs like the death adder. :D

I prefer higher sensitivity settings than some people do and I've had no problems using the G9 for first person shooters. The G5 and G7 feel, "less precise" to me.

I have a buddy that games COD4 MP hi sens w/ an RF MX Revolution. I can't even find the start button on his setup.

Dan:
I agree w/ you there. I didn't care for the G9's shape, but the sensor did not feel flaky to me like the g5's. It just felt inaccurate, imprecise, sloppy...I don't know. And I'm a mid-low sens gamer. I like my Ikari @ 1100 DPI.

Have ANY of you allowed your paws to come to grips w/ the Steelseries Ikari Laser? It's echelons above anything else out there when it comes to comfort. The sensor's excellent, low lift off, lightweight mouse, great matte surface, cord "self manages", and well...it feels like an extension of your own hand.

That's what this reminds me of. I'll never give my Ikari up though. :D

I used the Ikari laser for a week or so because it was predictionless and I was extremely pleased with the optical version. I had problem's in pretty much every game I played. Whenever I moved my hand relatively fast the mouse would clip or give me lots of negative accel. It's new home was a spare PC and the death adder was quickly brought back to regular duty. To each his own I'm glad you are enjoying your mouse.

This was on a QCK Heavy.

I prefer higher sensitivity settings than some people do and I've had no problems using the G9 for first person shooters. The G5 and G7 feel, "less precise" to me.

I am competitive CS player and I generally use a very low sensitivity. 30in/360 and the Ikari laser nor the G5 could keep up. I am interested in trying out the G9 for nothing other than curiosity's sake.

Although ever since I started playing Quake again my sensitivity has doubled. Across my QCK Heavy is 360. :D

Comfort is extremely subjective. The Ikari Laser is a comfortable mouse for sure, but I prefer to use my MX518/G5/G9 for various reasons. The Ikari is a great mouse and I can't bring myself to sell it yet, but I also can't wait to try the new Xai.

I fired up Crysis last night for the hell of it and I noticed my scroll wheel won't work anymore as a middle button. Something is definitely broken in my G9. Anyway I threw my G5 rev. 2 on my system and gave that a shot. Wow what a difference. The G5 felt like crap. It felt imprecise and uncomfortable. It was so bad that I swapped back to the G9 and I'm just tolerating my broken scroll wheel until I can get it replaced. I'm still debating trying out the G500 but I may order both a G9x and a G500 to be on the safe side. I know I'll like the G9x but I'm not sure about the G500. Over time I've begun to take issue with the MX500 shape that most Logitech mice seem to be based on. Though the new thumb rest area is a welcome improvement which should make it feel more like the G9 and MX Revolution.

It's a forum, not a merry go round. We can't all go the same way. That said, not sure what the snide comment's all about...but if it makes you feel better. :)

My meh...was cause you didn't give reason for ditching the Ikari. Which makes me curious, especially if it's for the same reason as the super gamer above you. Sometimes you just don't know any better until it's pointed out to you. That said...what's your beef w/ the Ikari Laser? Was it optics too?

My G500 is on its way from Amazon. I'm looking forward to it, and just replaced my old Bansheepad with a Radpadz XT (and love it!).

So many good games out today too....

Sorry, J. I believe I mistook you for someone else who trolls many threads here with nearly every post being a negative remark. After doing a search for some of your recent posts I stand corrected. :) That said, replies like "Meh..." don't contribute much to the discussion, heh. You should have just asked me to clarify in the first place! I'll be happy to oblige you.

The Ikari Laser is a fine mouse, don't get me wrong. I like the light weight, it is comfortable for sure (I love the recessions for your thumb and ring finger), and I don't recall experiencing any issues with the tracking. Of course, I don't play competitively and it is very rare for me to invoke negative acceleration on any mouse by moving it across the surface that fast.

Now, the things I don't really care for...first of all the mouse only allows selection between 2 DPIs -- High and Low. This is 2009 and most Logitech mice offer at least three...hell even the relatively old MX 518 allows three DPI selections. Two might suffice for a lot of people but it's just one thing that I felt could be improved. The G9 has five that you can freely switch from...now I'd be lying if I told you I used all five of them often but I think the 3 levels of the MX 518 and G5 are a happy medium.

Second, the scroll wheel on mine is a little noisy and causes the surrounding plastic to rattle when scrolling. It works well enough, but it makes the mouse sound a bit cheap. Not only that, they designed the wheel so that it tilts slightly to the right when clicked. Most people wouldn't notice this but after using many other mice it's apparent. When pushing the wheel straight down you may not notice it immediately, but you can test this by treating the mouse wheel like a tilt wheel: move your index finger across the mouse from left to right until it runs into (and presses on) the wheel. The wheel doesn't budge. Now repeat but go from right to left, and if you apply the same amount of pressure you'll find that the wheel registers a click as if it's depressed from above. So you can actually do a mouse wheel click by pressing the wheel to the left as if it were a tilt wheel. I guess that could be cool to some people, but I like my wheels to go straight down rather than to one direction. :)

Same thing is true for the DeathAdder, except the opposite. Its wheel can be clicked by pressing from the left instead of the right.

Now...with all of that said, I STILL think the Ikari Laser is a great mouse which is why I am still in possession of it. And most people might not notice or care about the things I mentioned, but I'm a picky SOB like you said you were in the LIK thread and these were simply things that stood out to me. The fact that I don't use the Ikari Laser as my primary mouse isn't due to the fact that it's a crappy product...I just feel that Logitech offers mice that do more of what *I* want them to do. They too have compromises but I find that they suit me the best. The G9 has five instantly selectable DPIs, and it remembers your last selection between reboots thanks to the onboard memory (I've gotten kinda spoiled by that). It offers clicky or smooth scrolling. It tracks flawlessly, it offers selectable grips and weight levels, and the SetPoint software offers a hell of a lot of customization for nearly every aspect of the mouse. It is pretty much the total package for me, so much so that even though the Ikari is sitting right here beside it I'll grab the G9 almost every time (until I feel like a change for the heck of it).

I do agree that the Ikari feels like an extension of your hand. It is extremely ergonomic. The G9 on the other hand does not conform to my hand like the Ikari does, but it's other strengths are enough that I don't mind that.

One non-scientific test I like to perform to determine how accurate I am with a mouse can be performed on anything with text, even a webpage will do. The smaller the text the better. I'll pick out two or three sequential letters in a word and see how efficiently I can highlight those letters consistently. I find that I can do this extremely well with the G9. Other mice seem a little sloppier and I can't achieve quite the same level of accuracy. Obviously some other factors vary such as DPI, the mouse's tracking engine, text size and space between letters, and even the mouse's ergonomics. A good example is in gman's sig, actually. If you have at least two mice available, plug them both in and try to highlight the "ski" or "kil" in Gskill. The space between the i and the l or the two l's is pretty damn small, and you may find that one mouse allows for more precision when performing this simple task. This test is relevant to me because I copy and paste a LOT each day, so the easier/more efficient it is to highlight the text I want, the better.

I have written way too much about this in a thread that's supposed to be about the G500 so I'll stop here and cross my fingers that it's going to be an awesome mouse that's well worth the money. This has the potential to be THE wired gaming mouse to have, but it looks like more of an evolutionary step than a revolutionary one and there is some pretty stiff competition out there. It looks to be perfect for people who don't care for the G9's shape yet want better tracking and more features than the venerable MX518 and G5.

Holy shit guys, I didn't mean for that to be an essay. I've written college exam papers shorter than that :p

Christ man. I can't read that now. I'm way too tired. That takes up like 18 screens on my netbook. It freakin' lags when it goes over it. OMG, you searched my post history? What did you find!? Whoa...sleep...easy there....away from keyboard...away.

Oh, and I've been TEARIN up that zune thread lately. Mainly because MR. Cnet and a few other's claimed how awesome it was. And now it's not...but it's safari...they've had 3 years ya know. I should marathon this post OT on your ass for that wall of white. Crazyness. I'll probably bookmark it and read it on my Zune...or maybe you could just record it for us?

So has anyone gotten their mits on this yet? Cause it looks really nice and I'm a huge fan of the buttons...and that thumb placement.

Hey, just think of it as me being thorough. Attentive to detail. That sort of thing. At least I use paragraphs and proper punctuation! Don't make me edit it to be one long sentence, or bold all of the text. I'll do it I tell ya!

That entire post only takes up about 1/4 of the screen on the 3007, heh. Sorry about that, I don't own a netbook. I would think that viewing that on an 8-10" screen would be a PITA. Just print it out and read it on the toilet...then wipe your ass with it as that's probably all it's worth. :D

Is there any bigger third party grips for the G9? Even the wide-load grip leaves my hand to grind on the mousepad.

Try the ID Grip

...my G11 and only came with a 1 year warranty and 2 months after it was up the back light turned into a strobe light and then the whole thing died. I really like the G series but I was pissed about a $70 dollar keyboard dying after a little more than a year
You should have called it in anyway. For 2 months out, they will usually try to work something out for you. Probably too late now though. For real though...at least give em a chance to make it right for you.
I like Logitech stuff, but I wouldn't call myself a fanboy. My current set up is a G19 (cuz its pimp) and a DeathAdder.

Last edited:

this ! my pinky always hated me when i was using the mx518, too bad it's one of the most reliable mice ever at 400dpi, even without messing with the standard polling rate you can move it really fast over a large cloth pad without experiencing negative accel, something that was really imporatnt to me when I was using a 70cm/360 sens in almost any fps, never tried the DA tho, I'm still on my third 3.0 :D ( i bought 4 total throghout the years, still have one sealed and boxed just in case )

received the logitech G500 today,

I like the wider area for the thumb and the smoothed right edge, I am not sure how I feel about the new color but I don't really care, a nice upgrade from my G5, way better than my G9 (I hate the feel of it in my hand.. it just doesn't fit right with someone with big hands in my opinion- now it sits on my server! yep, demoted to server mouse, ouch)

great mouse, it is now my new daily driver

Last edited:
I just came came back from fry's. I went to go purchase NFS:Shift & pick up a rebate form.

While I was browsing I saw a shelf of the g500 mice. It looks really good, retailed $69.99 there.
I think I am going to buy this one online for a little bit cheaper. The more thumb buttons the better :D

That looks very interesting. I have own G5 original that I bought in 2005 and was considering a replacement. I was debating about picking a Razer Lachesis or Mamba, but that G500 looks cheaper and does almost the same thing. Now to run to Frys and see if my hands actually like it.

I agree with you to run to the store a try it first, it almost feels bigger in my hand than my old G5.. which is a plus.. great feel to it

received the logitech G500 today,

I like the wider area for the thumb and the smoothed right edge, I am not sure how I feel about the new color but I don't really care, a nice upgrade from my G5, way better than my G9 (I hate the feel of it in my hand.. it just doesn't fit right with someone with big hands in my opinion- now it sits on my server! yep, demoted to server mouse, ouch)

great mouse, it is now my new daily driver

Can you take good pics of the mouse? I want to see it more up close and different angles.

pics of the new G500

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

and the change in color to dark around the front, right side and rear is painted like that.. my camera isn't messed up

the scroll wheel is awesome, its closer to the mx revolution.. and has the change button from click wheel to free wheel on the top instead of the bottom, a nice addition

Nice pics! Nice mouse too! I like the granite rock look. I noticed some darker spots, is it just the way it is, the way the pics were taken or does it soak up sweat/hand oil that badly? The side buttons look good as usual, I see they added a third middle button, that's a plus. I don't like where the DPI config buttons are placed, too much going to the side for on-the-fly changing, not that it matters that much anyways. Which leads to my next question. What does the button/slider do in the middle of the mouse?

Overrall that mouse looks sick, i'm picking one up in a week or 2 for sure. It's like the mx518 and the G9x had a baby.

the button in the middle is the scroll wheel button - changes from clicky scroll wheel to a free scroll wheel

and the finish does actually have that black painted on.. I am not an overly oily handed person, but thanks for asking :)

totally worth the 70 bucks.. for my hand it blows the g9 out of the water, and builds upon the awesomeness of my g5, g7 and mx revolution

the button in the middle is the scroll wheel button - changes from clicky scroll wheel to a free scroll wheel

and the finish does actually have that black painted on.. I am not an overly oily handed person, but thanks for asking :)

totally worth the 70 bucks.. for my hand it blows the g9 out of the water, and builds upon the awesomeness of my g5, g7 and mx revolution

Haha, sorry I had to ask, didn't mean anything by it personally... just looked like sweat spots as those dark spots are in the palm and finger areas, lol like it's some joke the designers wanted to add in.

As much as I don't really like where the DPI buttons are, the clicky wheel button on the bottom of my G9x sucks. That's really nice that the button is right there. No more having to flip the mouse around.

Interesting finish. Looks like it got left outside during some serious acid rain, hehe.

How's the mouse wheel action compared to the G9 or G5 in terms of stiffness/feel when clicking and scrolling?

And what's the 3rd thumb button (with the red marking) do by default?

Thanks! I see myself eventually getting one of these.

Interesting finish. Looks like it got left outside during some serious acid rain, hehe.

How's the mouse wheel action compared to the G9 or G5 in terms of stiffness/feel when clicking and scrolling?

And what's the 3rd thumb button (with the red marking) do by default?

Thanks! I see myself eventually getting one of these.

it scrolls a lot easier than the g5, and similar to the g9, except if feels like the wheel, itself, it a little larger.
and by default the 3rd button is set to "generic button" which can be changed to do anything one wants, currently I have it set to reload :)

Haha, sorry I had to ask, didn't mean anything by it personally... just looked like sweat spots as those dark spots are in the palm and finger areas, lol like it's some joke the designers wanted to add in.

no worries .. I don't personally like the finish.. I wish there were interchangeable plates on this mouse to put something else on it.. even a solid black would be better than what they did

Back