Linux versus Windows - bigadv folding results

So running with the Kraken wrapper is ok on GUI'd up ubuntu? I've got only rudimentary linux knowledge from about 3 years ago so something relatively painless would be ideal.

yeah... but for performance reasons you better have installed on ext2 or 3 and be running the ck kernel patches...

So running with the Kraken wrapper is ok on GUI'd up ubuntu? I've got only rudimentary linux knowledge from about 3 years ago so something relatively painless would be ideal.

Definately. I have 3 Ubuntu Desktop installs running it now. As mentioned above, you may want to do the BFS update mentioned above. I am actually going to try to test that on a single proc machine this evening.

Definately. I have 3 Ubuntu Desktop installs running it now. As mentioned above, you may want to do the BFS update mentioned above. I am actually going to try to test that on a single proc machine this evening.
Even for a 12-core 24 thread rig? I see that the talk about BFS mentions a 16 core practical limit, but not sure if that includes logical units.

Good to know that ubuntu is ok, I'll be following your guide later today if I have the time

Even for a 12-core 24 thread rig? I see that the talk about BFS mentions a 16 core practical limit, but not sure if that includes logical units.

Good to know that ubuntu is ok, I'll be following your guide later today if I have the time

The three are all 12 core, 24 thread machines. BFS does have a speculated core limit, but no one has verified/proven it as of yet. I can verify that it works fine on 24 thread machines.

The three are all 12 core, 24 thread machines. BFS does have a speculated core limit, but no one has verified/proven it as of yet. I can verify that it works fine on 24 thread machines.

I thought 10e tested it on shankbox48

much higher tpf...

On my 970 the kraken made maybe a 1-2 sec tpf reduction, however this small decrease could just be in the margin of error.

On my 970 the kraken made maybe a 1-2 sec tpf reduction, however this small decrease could just be in the margin of error.

Might just be me getting excited. Not difficult for me, ask my wife. :D

yea, thats why I was looking to confirm. Of course, on that rig hes way beyond the 16-core "limit" versus a dual-hex xeon which is "only" 8 threads over :p

Patriotic Eagle07 and you are both correct. BFS is great on my SR-2, lousy on my AMD. Truth be told I'm impetuous and didn't try both NUMA on and off, but I doubt it would have made a great difference, so I left NuMa on with Zen Kernel with CFS and the Kraken.

I might switch Skanks to Ubuntu again though, because about once a week the Folding client just stops on Gentoo, where it never did with Ubuntu.

Either that or I'm no mad h4x0r and messed something up with GenToo.

wrapper installed successfully!

P2686 - 159kppd with L5640s 198BLCK, that's almost +25% (+30kppd)
This is putting my gpu rig to shame, it takes 6 x g92 gpus cores to produce 30kppd.

wrapper installed successfully!

P2686 - 159kppd with L5640s 198BLCK, that's almost +25% (+30kppd)
This is putting my gpu rig to shame, it takes 6 x g92 gpus cores to produce 30kppd.

That sounds about dead-on compared to mine. Sweet!

Anyone want to tell me just how to install I7z to monitor temps?

Readmes are pretty vague and assume more linux knowhow than I have.

Code:
dave@sr2b:~$ cd i7z
dave@sr2b:~/i7z$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for dave: 
rm -f *.o i7z
If the compilation complains about not finding ncurses.h, install ncurses (libncurses5-dev on ubuntu/debian)
gcc  -g -O0 -fomit-frame-pointer -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DBUILD_MAIN -Wall -Dx64_BIT -lncurses -lpthread  i7z.c helper_functions.c i7z_Single_Socket.c i7z_Dual_Socket.c -o i7z
i7z.c:21: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
i7z_Single_Socket.c:22: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
i7z_Dual_Socket.c:20: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [bin] Error 1
dave@sr2b:~/i7z$

project page: http://code.google.com/p/i7z/

Anyone want to tell me just how to install I7z to monitor temps?

Readmes are pretty vague and assume more linux knowhow than I have.

Code:
dave@sr2b:~$ cd i7z
dave@sr2b:~/i7z$ sudo make install
[sudo] password for dave: 
rm -f *.o i7z
If the compilation complains about not finding ncurses.h, install ncurses (libncurses5-dev on ubuntu/debian)
gcc  -g -O0 -fomit-frame-pointer -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DBUILD_MAIN -Wall -Dx64_BIT -lncurses -lpthread  i7z.c helper_functions.c i7z_Single_Socket.c i7z_Dual_Socket.c -o i7z
i7z.c:21: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
i7z_Single_Socket.c:22: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
i7z_Dual_Socket.c:20: fatal error: ncurses.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make: *** [bin] Error 1
dave@sr2b:~/i7z$

project page: http://code.google.com/p/i7z/

try "apt-get install libncurses5-dev"

then retry the make install

Last edited:
try "apt-get install libncurses5-dev"
then retry the make install

That did it. Thanks!

EDIT - but technically I did it via the gui via System- Administration -Synaptic Package Manager because I wanted to see if it was there already, and I am a command line pussy, but starting to like it.

Last edited:
Sure - I had trouble doing it on the second rig - deleted folder and started over and it worked.

So final Ubuntu instructions were:
  • http://code.google.com/p/i7z/ for download
  • add libncurses5-dev package via System- Administration -Synaptic Package Manager
  • Extract to new folder i7z (I shorted the default "i7z-0.26")
  • cd i7z
  • sudo make install
  • sudo ./i7z

Haven't got the GUI version working yet - meh.

I haven't left it running to test how much it steals from FAH - this is just so I can check temps from time to time to make sure all fans are working etc.

original.jpg

Live temp readings.... isn't that a kid watching with a ir gun telling you what it says ...

Has anyone any ideas for pursuing the idea of Windows => virtual machine => Ubuntu on 2p -24 threads?

(I have to stick to Win7 on my main rig)

I am done - VMware in 2 flavours has silly core restrictions, and Oracles Virtualbox is sucky - can use 24 cores but is buggy and performance sucks. (1 hr plus frame times)

EDIT - or wacky idea - what is making it impossible to boot to different OS and finish a WU in another OS - is it files not compatible etc?

Has anyone any ideas for pursuing the idea of Windows => virtual machine => Ubuntu on 2p -24 threads?

(I have to stick to Win7 on my main rig)

I am done - VMware in 2 flavours has silly core restrictions, and Oracles Virtualbox is sucky - can use 24 cores but is buggy and performance sucks. (1 hr plus frame times)

EDIT - or wacky idea - what is making it impossible to boot to different OS and finish a WU in another OS - is it files not compatible etc?

Would it possibly work the other way for you - run Linux with a Windows VM? I don't know how your rendering software works, but if it can span "machines", you could run three Windows VMs on each of your rigs when you need them. Something like that would probably work for me, but I have no idea what you do in Windows.

linux has wine runs native windows code

Yeah Wine is a no go for a serious production machine - I did some research and it gets a poor rating on my graphics apps like 3DSmax etc. Adobe and Autodesk apps are a PITA to install on Windows, let alone wine. Likewise running them in a virtual machine and dealing with all the licensing issues, USB dongle drivers/printer drivers etc etc is just suicidal, let alone performance issues.

It has come down to the question of is there a free high performance VM that can you can run FAH in with 2p/24 threads, and the answer so far is no.

I might just boot to Linux for the weekend, but that gets old - I would have to swap back Sunday morning to make sure I was free Monday morning.

So lets hope a 64 bit Windows client is not too far off.

i7z - when I made those screenies I forgot to shut it down... fun fact - it makes absolutely zero difference to frame times to leave it running.

That Tobit, he knows his shit. (he recommended i7z)

Nope, fired up the 2600k and now have had two 6901's in a row

btw its awsome :D at stock speeds (3.8 ghz with turbo) i was getting the same poitns on a 6901 that i was receiving at 4.8 in windows :D now I am up to 53k ppd with 4.4 ghz

7 regular smps in a row on one machine - been running them most of the day with no end in site. A second machine picked up a regular smp a few hours ago after dropping a bigadv. A third one did drop a 6901 and pick up a 2684 today. Definately something going on...

Now that beta units are available to the public - see -bigbeta

you could try -bigbeta that adds 2689s to the mix, further diluting the chance of 2684's and SMP. I have been running it for 3 days on the 2 linux rigs..

SR2#2, #3

6901 2689
2689 2684
smp smp
2684 2689

Remember that thread ages ago when they leaked 2689 onto psummary, and we went spotting massive unit drops on beta testers EOCs? I made the prediction at the time that my rigs would do 190,000ppd on them.

Well even though they changed it back to be treated like any other bigadv - and it ends up being a somewhat slow like a 2685. But guess what? - about 190,000ppd. I was right for the wrong reasons. Simply replace the high K factor with Linux and tears wrapper...

Well I picked up another 2686 so back to running a bigadv unit.. now I'm trying to swap the rig over to wireless so I can put it in my basement for the summer months. Unfortunately its just not working right.. I can get the adapter to connect for a little while after i first plug it in (USB) but then I get a popup asking for the password again after like 5 minutes. Its like its constantly losing connection and then not automatically entering the WPA password itself. Its driving me crazy!

its probably putting it to sleep...
just make a script to ping a network computer every other minute and keep the line awake...

there are power settings but they don't always work.

its probably putting it to sleep...
just make a script to ping a network computer every other minute and keep the line awake...

there are power settings but they don't always work.
Thats what I thought of too, except I have no idea how to do it :D

No programming skillz at all

This is my script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]; do
	ping 192.168.1.1 -c 1
	sleep 60
done

It just pings my router every minute. I don't lock out, I just drop the connection which screws up HFM. It doesn't work perfectly, but it is better.

musky, did you ever get HFM via MONO working? Your "BRB" on irc this morning turned into several hours, I had to split after 30 minutes.

This is my script:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
while [ 1 ]; do
	ping 192.168.1.1 -c 1
	sleep 60
done

It just pings my router every minute. I don't lock out, I just drop the connection which screws up HFM. It doesn't work perfectly, but it is better.
how do I get it to run the script from the terminal? I'm not sure if it is or not, but if it is I'm still getting lost connections. This is why nobody runs linux everyday, something as simple as a wireless connection is about 100x as hard as it is on windows :rolleyes:

Back