LG L246W

I have finally ordered an LG L245WP-BN screen (LG L246WP in USA).

I have heard some reports that the monitor has a buzzing/humming sound when using SRGB brightness values that is lower then 100.

I have also heard that some screens suffer from horrendous flickering and that there is no way to get full aspect ratio scaling in HDMI mode.

I just wonder how common this problems are ? Are they only for the first revision of the monitor or are the later revisions also affected in some way?

What are the best settings for the LG monitor in SRGB and what settings should be used in ATI Catalyst Control Center for the most comfortable viewing experience my eyes are very sensitive and that is my biggest worry that my eyes will feel sore very fast after only using the screen for a short amount of time. Some say that the screen is blindingly bright and that worries me.

What problems where exactly fixed with the later revisions of the screen ?

I have finally ordered an LG L245WP-BN screen (LG L246WP in USA).

Congratulations!

I have heard some reports that the monitor has a buzzing/humming sound when using SRGB brightness values that is lower then 100.
Fake, unless you have a bad/damaged unit I guess.

I have also heard that some screens suffer from horrendous flickering and that there is no way to get full aspect ratio scaling in HDMI mode.
I was under the impression that only CRT monitos physicaly can have a flickering problem. Either way, I haven't noticed any flickering on my monitor.
I use the HDMI for connecting it to my graphics card with the supplied HDMI->DVI cable, with it I have no such problems. Or with the VGA connection to my Xbox 360. BUT, I don't have a HDMI only device to test it that way.

I just wonder how common this problems are ? Are they only for the first revision of the monitor or are the later revisions also affected in some way?
I don't think they are common, in months, since May at least, only a handful of people complained about different things with the monitor. Considering that many more own one and are members here, I would guess there would be a very bad reputation for the monitor if the "issues" or issues were common.

What are the best settings for the LG monitor in SRGB and what settings should be used in ATI Catalyst Control Center for the most comfortable viewing experience my eyes are very sensitive and that is my biggest worry that my eyes will feel sore very fast after only using the screen for a short amount of time. Some say that the screen is blindingly bright and that worries me.
What is good for your eyes doesn't make it good for someone else. Don't be lazy, just experiment till you find what is best for your eyes.

What problems where exactly fixed with the later revisions of the screen ?

I don't know, but I would love to find out.
My monitor has a manufacturing date April 2007 and I bought it new in June.

I just got one of these on Monday, and I too have a buzzing/humming sound when using sRGB and brightness lower than 100, except when its between 30-40 the humming disappears but the buzzing is still there when i get close to the back of it, I have it set to 32.

The manufacturing date is March 2007

Should I exchange it?

I just got one of these on Monday, and I too have a buzzing/humming sound when using sRGB and brightness lower than 100, except when its between 30-40 the humming disappears but the buzzing is still there when i get close to the back of it, I have it set to 32.

Should I exchange it?

YES!

Should I exchange it?

Yes that is one of the screens with an older revision. The best thing is to ask for one made in June/July or after. The Firmware version should be 1.7 or later.

So does anyone actualy know what this firmwre change is about? What is different etc.

How is the interpolation quality what is the lowest resolution in windows desktop that looks acceptable with the LG screen ?

On this issue, even certain games that are not capable of outputting in widescreen resolutions are better. Racing games for example. Need for Speed Carbon can only output to 1600x1200, so you have the choice of the bars on the sides, or your graphics card or monitor stretching it.

I actually prefer it stretched for this game!

From a post from www.widescreengamingforum.com

"Here's the NFSC screen shot from my Dell 3007 ( 2560 x 1600 )"

I've had a slight buzzing sound from my L246BW monitor since I got it a couple of weeks ago. If I turn the brightness up to 100, the sound is completely gone. Is there any way to get rid of the buzz, or is it worth exchanging it? It actually drives me nuts in a quiet room. :)

I've had a slight buzzing sound from my L246BW monitor since I got it a couple of weeks ago. If I turn the brightness up to 100, the sound is completely gone. Is there any way to get rid of the buzz, or is it worth exchanging it? It actually drives me nuts in a quiet room. :)

The monitor is obviously damaged or something. Return it and get another.

What manufacturing date does the screen have ? And is it using the latest firmware 1.7 ?

I think u could check firmware by pressing menu + down button while the monitor is on or holding menu + down downpressed while u push the power button.

Anyone here who have got 50hz or 48hz mode working with the LG screen so i can get away from the jerky panning in PAL (25fps) and 24fps movies ?

What manufacturing date does the screen have ? And is it using the latest firmware 1.7 ?

I think u could check firmware by pressing menu + down button while the monitor is on or holding menu + down downpressed while u push the power button.

Neither of those work. My display was manufactured in May 2007. I'm going to go buy another one today just to see if mine is defective, though I suspect (perhaps falsely) that they all make a buzzing noise to some degree. Mine wouldn't even be noticeable to some people, I'm sure, but it drives me nuts. :D

Oh, and for what it's worth, my wife's Samsung 245BW also buzzes.

Neither of those work. My display was manufactured in May 2007. I'm going to go buy another one today just to see if mine is defective, though I suspect (perhaps falsely) that they all make a buzzing noise to some degree. Mine wouldn't even be noticeable to some people, I'm sure, but it drives me nuts. :D

Oh, and for what it's worth, my wife's Samsung 245BW also buzzes.

ok from what i've gathered the new revision LGs were manufactured after in June 2007 or after.

Have you pushed the menu and down buttons at the same time ?

ok from what i've gathered the new revision LGs were manufactured after in June 2007 or after.

Have you pushed the menu and down buttons at the same time ?

Yes, and nothing happened. Held them down while turning it on, and also when it was on. Nothing happened. I'm going to buy another one at Best Buy and see if there's a difference. Aside from the buzzing, my LG is perfect, screen-wise, so I'm loathe to exchange it unless I know I can get a non-buzzing one. I'm curious also as to these new revisions people talk about. What proof of this is there?

Thanks all.

Yes, and nothing happened. Held them down while turning it on, and also when it was on. Nothing happened. I'm going to buy another one at Best Buy and see if there's a difference. Aside from the buzzing, my LG is perfect, screen-wise, so I'm loathe to exchange it unless I know I can get a non-buzzing one. I'm curious also as to these new revisions people talk about. What proof of this is there?

Thanks all.

This is how it looks with old and new firmware: The old is first.

Model L245WP 06/11/12 V 1.440
MP Elapsed TIme 1997H
Nvram Initial OFF
ADC Calib -RGB 0
ADC Calib -COMP To Start
Aging Mode OFF
Elapsed TIme Clear To Set
White Balance

-------------------------------------------

Model: L245WP 07/07/02 V 1.700
MP Elapsed Time 29H
Nvram Initial OFF
ADC Calib -RGB 0
ADC Calib -COMP To Start
Aging Mode OFF
White Balance

Thanks all.

nothing happened when i tried that stuff either. im wondering the date on mine too :eek:

to access the hidden menu.

turn of the monitor
press and keep pressing " menu+ down" then turn On the monitor
you will find the Service Menu Below picture.

Majed was the one who originally wrote how to get to the service menu. That was the source i used but i heard from a friend that maybe it also worked with the monitor already on.

well neither worked for me :(

also, does anyones monitor not come out of sleep mode sometimes? i have to turn it off and on to get it back sometimes.

well neither worked for me :(

also, does anyones monitor not come out of sleep mode sometimes? i have to turn it off and on to get it back sometimes.

Have you checked the date of when the monitor was made it is maybe on the backside of the monitor or outside on the packaging.

I just checked my first unit. It's V1.450 06/11/02. I got another at the store, and it too is a V1.450. Ugh. Both manufactured May 2007, and both making an awful buzzing sound. This sucks. :(

I just checked my first unit. It's V1.450 06/11/02. I got another at the store, and it too is a V1.450. Ugh. Both manufactured May 2007, and both making an awful buzzing sound. This sucks. :(

Yeah thats an older revision V 1.7 it should be. U seem to get the service menu thing working atleast.

I think that many stores still have the older revision left of this monitor.

Could you see on the back of the monitor what the manufacture date was or was it on the box ?

Yeah thats an older revision V 1.7 it should be. U seem to get the service menu thing working atleast.

I think that many stores still have the older revision left of this monitor.

Could you see on the back of the monitor what the manufacture date was or was it on the box ?

Yep managed to get into the firmware menu. Didn't realize till someone said - that you have to go into the menu and push down after you hold down+menu when turning on.

Anyway, electrical noise just flat out sucks. I had it on both my of my Dell XPS M1330s, a set of Klipsch speakers, 2 sets of Logitech Z-2300 speakers (third set worked out fine, thankfully...), Dell power adapters. The list goes on. I love the picture from this LG, but the buzzing is making me tear my hair out.

On the phone to LG now. They should swap it out for me, with any luck...

Yep managed to get into the firmware menu. Didn't realize till someone said - that you have to go into the menu and push down after you hold down+menu when turning on.

Anyway, electrical noise just flat out sucks. I had it on both my of my Dell XPS M1330s, a set of Klipsch speakers, 2 sets of Logitech Z-2300 speakers (third set worked out fine, thankfully...), Dell power adapters. The list goes on. I love the picture from this LG, but the buzzing is making me tear my hair out.

On the phone to LG now. They should swap it out for me, with any luck...

OK, have you considered the possibility that the problem is not with your devices, if all of them excibit it? Perhaps you need to replace your electric lines or something. Not all electronic devices in your home can have this noise and still blame the devices.

OK, have you considered the possibility that the problem is not with your devices, if all of them excibit it? Perhaps you need to replace your electric lines or something. Not all electronic devices in your home can have this noise and still blame the devices.

Actually, all these devices CAN have issues. Especially since hundreds of people have complained about the CPU whine problem in the Dell systems, power adapter clicking/squealing etc. Are you implying that my electrical current is such that when I turn the LG screen's brightness up that it counteracts my electrical issues and makes no sound?

Why does my 22" Samsung not make any sound, then? Why does my new Macbook Pro make no buzzing sounds, either?

I apologise if I'm taking an attitude, but I'm sick to death of crappy, crappy electronics made by cutting corners in the extreme. Sick of it.

Anyway, LG have a new screen out to me. We'll see if it fixes my issue...

haha, i finally realized that i have to scroll down in order to see the menu.

it says i have L245WP 06/11/02 V 1.440

why does it say i have an L245WP, but the box says L246WP

i bought it in the end of august from bestbuy so i know there is no way to return it there, but is there a way i can get a new revision from LG somehow >_> >:]

Damn it, I have V 1.440 also. =(

Model: L245WP 06/11/02 V 1.440
MP Elapsed Time 32H
Nvram Initial OFF
ADC Calib -RGB 0
ADC Calib -COMP To Start
Aging Mode OFF
White Balance
(scroll down to page 2/2)
Author: H.B. Chang
J.Y. Lee

That sucks. Although my monitor is not making any noise, at least none I can hear (I didn't try putting my ear really close to it or anything). But I do have one minor problem with it, when using the VGA connection, the image is somewhat blurry, not 100% sharp. It is perfectly fine on HDMI/DVI input though, but still.

haha, i finally realized that i have to scroll down in order to see the menu.

i bought it in the end of august from bestbuy so i know there is no way to return it there, but is there a way i can get a new revision from LG somehow >_> >:]

Yeah i don't think u can return it to LG for a firmware upgrade but it's worth a try i guess. The screen is called LG L245WP in Europe so thats probably why but they are identical though.

Are you happy about how the screen interpolates lower resolutions like 1680x1050 ?

Don't worry about it, it's pretty much the same monitor, it's just that online stores get 245 while the big retailer stores get 246 models. The only difference, supposedly, is the button layout (one has 'em on the right, the other on the left, although I think there's a 3rd variation that differs slightly in the power button/light design).

I have the same thing, when I bought it from Future Shop it said 246 on the box but in the hidden menu it says 245.

ive never tried a lower res than 1900x1200. in games that dont have widescreen i usually just play stretched at 1600x1200 and its not a problem to me.

ive never tried a lower res than 1900x1200. in games that dont have widescreen i usually just play stretched at 1600x1200 and its not a problem to me.
You can switch the monitor over to 1:1 pixel mapping and get black bars on the sides rather than distort the image.

I just checked mine and unfortunately I have the same old fw as others...

Model: L245WP 06/11/02 V 1.440

There's no point in exchanging it because I doubt they have any updated ones in stock...

I think I'm gonna wait for the Samsung 245T or get the Dell.

Wow, I've had really bad luck getting a good panel. The first one I bought from Best Buy 1.5 weeks ago had a stuck red pixel near the middle of the screen. I went to a different Best Buy closer to home to exchange the panel. The one I got worked for a little more than half a day of run time, then became permanently stuck in power saving mode. Today, I brought this one back to the first Best Buy I went to, and they tested the panel as ok, so it was an intermittent problem with the panel. I just tested the 2nd replacement panel, and it has the bad backlight bleeding spots at the top of the screen, as seen in earlier posts. It also flickers and blanks out completely if the color is changed to sRGB.

Should I keep trying or just wait until Best Buy gets a new 24" LCD model that's just as good, since I was using gift certificates? I think I already tested the remaining three LG panels in stock from these two stores. This experience has me worried about buying LCD panels online, since the return process is much longer. The first LCD panel I bought in 2005, an AG Neovo, had to be replaced twice right away.

:(

Wow, I've had really bad luck getting a good panel. The first one I bought from Best Buy 1.5 weeks ago had a stuck red pixel near the middle of the screen. I went to a different Best Buy closer to home to exchange the panel. The one I got worked for a little more than half a day of run time, then became permanently stuck in power saving mode. Today, I brought this one back to the first Best Buy I went to, and they tested the panel as ok, so it was an intermittent problem with the panel. I just tested the 2nd replacement panel, and it has the bad backlight bleeding spots at the top of the screen, as seen in earlier posts. It also flickers and blanks out completely if the color is changed to sRGB.

Should I keep trying or just wait until Best Buy gets a new 24" LCD model that's just as good, since I was using gift certificates? I think I already tested the remaining three LG panels in stock from these two stores. This experience has me worried about buying LCD panels online, since the return process is much longer. The first LCD panel I bought in 2005, an AG Neovo, had to be replaced twice right away.

:(

AG Neovo is junk. I had a 19" that went bad in less than a year.

Guys, can you hear any LG hum / hiss if you sit close to it with no music / bg noise? My PC is in the other room, and my SM hum is very audible.

Guys, can you hear any LG hum / hiss if you sit close to it with no music / bg noise? My PC is in the other room, and my SM hum is very audible.

I can't hear anything. My L245wpm man date april 2007.

The guys that have monitors that have this "problem", what country did you buy it from/at?

Back