LG L246W

:( I was kind of hoping it was just mine and I could return it.. I wonder if this is a larger problem or if it's something we can correct with some tweaking? I remember somebody else complaining of this a while back.. I only notice it with that BG (which I don't use) so it's not a HUGE deal for me.. but it's kind of a bummer if this is a widespread problem.

I put that file as my background. I centered it and all I get is the background. Nothing out of the ordinary shows.

I don't see it. Here for a minute, I thought I was supposed to and mine was broken. Lol. I will have to look at it on my second one as well though.

Well. I am running on the sRGB profile and 20 Brightness. I calibrated with an Eye-one Display 2. Only problem, I use a Mac. I can give you my icc profile though. I don't know how much that will help you though.

Hmm. I'm still not 100% sure on the different profiles and such things. I'll give it a shot if you don't mind putting it up somewhere. I'm also using sRGB, but I haven't modified anything else. My brightness is 30.

Odd thing is I don't notice it while watching movies or on a fully black screen.. Just with that shade.

Those are awesome pics that Blue Falcon posted.

Could this 1/4th inch white border issue have to do with manufacturing dates?

I was also wondering if it was possible to do 1080p through vga. I was planning to use my 360 on this monitor.

I don't get any problems with that background. My mfg date is march 2007

Those are awesome pics that Blue Falcon posted.
I agree. Mine looked so similar :D

Could this 1/4th inch white border issue have to do with manufacturing dates?
It wouldn't surprise me. How do I go about checking this?

To clarify, it's not really a white border, just a slightly lighter border around the screen.

I don't get any problems with that background. My mfg date is march 2007

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Both of mine are February 2007. It is on the gray label on the back right of the screen.

Hmm.. Mine is also Feb 2007.

Well since the rest of you guys (save for one) don't see it I'm going to assume that mine is "special". I guess I have to decide if it's worth it to RMA it for a new one.. I only notice it with that one background and I'd rather have that then get a new one without this issue and have dead/stuck pixels...

Blue Falcon said:
Thanks for posting this image. This image explains why some people have been complaining about blurry text.

I haven't tried the LG, but I tried another monitor (EIZO HD2441W) with a similar pixel structure, and it ruined text quality for me. When I put my face up to the screen, I could see each pixel was made up of two smaller pixels, and for darker colors, only the top and bottom of the pixel are lit. This caused my eyes to blend the bottom of one pixel and the top of another pixel together, which resulted in a slight vertical blur and messed up antialiased text. That's exactly what that image shows.

Here is a picture of light gray text on a black background:

I chose a blurry picture to show what my eyes see. Notice how it looks like the pixel grid is IN the pixels instead of between the pixels.

Here is a picture of antialiased text on a white background:

Notice how the pixels look similar to the LG except facing the other direction. The gaps in the pixels mess up antialiased text.

It looks like the LG has the same problem.

No border issue on mine. I'm only using mine for PC use and it has a January 2007 build date.

Nice pics there, Blue Falcon. I see yours came with a D-sub cable attached as well. My first thought when I saw that on mine was that it had been opened or was possibly a returned unit.

Thanks for posting this image. This image explains why some people have been complaining about blurry text.

Actually that pic was at 800x600 resolution, and I had planned to make note of the fact that the L246W seems to have excellent scaling when compared to other monitors. At least when compared to my previous LCD panels... :)

Blue Falcon said:
Actually that pic was at 800x600 resolution, and I had planned to make note of the fact that the L246W seems to have excellent scaling when compared to other monitors. At least when compared to my previous LCD panels... :)
That doesn't matter. It shows the pixel structure, which is enough to explain the blurry text some people have been complaining about.

Everything on the EIZO looked slightly fuzzy to me due to the way the pixels are structured, and based on the pictures, it looks like the 24" LG is the same way.

March 2007 build date.

No border on the background and my text is tight. I actually looked at it with an 8x loupe and it is perfectly lined up.

Regards,

10e

I made a comment about the text earlier. I wanted to temporarily retract that. I found out I have an astigmatism and thus I have trouble focusing on things that are close. I am getting glasses. I will report back on the text. After calibrating though I must say I can already tell the difference.

Hey guys,

So far I love this monitor. It looks as good as the BenQ FP241W I'm sending back.

It does not have anywhere near the overscan issue on Component that the BenQ has, so Xbox and PS3 users should be happy with that. It does do a bit of overscan, but it's far less than the FP241W and about the same, or a little bit less than any TV I've seen.

One quick question: Should I have the ability to perform 1:1 with HDMI? I have my PC using DVI to HDMI cable, but the 1:1 option is greyed out. I tend to like to play games at lower resolutions (from the PC) at 1:1 for clarity, but it seems that whatever resolution I set my computer to, it scales up to 16:10 (or specifically 1920x1200).

Is this normal? The other inputs > VGA > Component both give me a 1:1 option. I'm using an 8800GTS 640MB (Asus)

Oops, I realized that if I told the video card to output 1080P over HDMI/DVI, that the monitor allowed me to use 1:1 with HDMI. Sorry for being a dummy.

Regards,

10e

Originally Posted by 10e
It does do a bit of overscan, but it's far less than the FP241W and about the same, or a little bit less than any TV I've seen.

The 360 has overscan on this monitor? I thought I had overscan when I played the new pac-man on the 360. All the cherry's, fruits and etc get a little cropped on the botton, but I think it is part of the game. What games have you played on your 360?

Is there a definitive way to check overscan on the 360 and Wii?

Hey Furious,

You can check this yourself. There are a number of pix at the following link which you can load up on the 360 and view via component to measure how much overscan there is:

The gifs are here:

http://www.tigerdave.com/test_patterns.htm

I only noticed on Bioshock that the load screen border was slightly cut off. In comparison, the BenQ FP241W cut it off completely via component. Additionally, it is less than any TV that I have tried via component.

Via VGA (which is what I'm using with the 360) there is no cut off or overscan whatsoever. The BenQ couldn't even do 1920x1080 with the 360 via VGA properly.

I will try this tonight as well and report back. I think only people who want completely 1:1 "pixel perfect" component via 1080i would be overly concerned with this.

So far, while it's a bit quirky, I'm quite happy with this monitor. I would recommend, that if you want to use both the Wii and 360, you use the 360 with VGA and the Wii with component.

Good luck,

10e

Thanks for the advice 10e. I just got my xbox360 vga cable today. I was able to do 1080p with vga and then when I connected my component cables and I saw the overscan. I put in Bioshock and like you said the loading screen borders are cutoff. I wasn't able to put on the test pattern (don't know how).

I am kind of unsure about this monitor now.

How is the 1:1, and Overscan using HDMI and a console/hi-def player? (whether it be a Ps3/Xbox360/HD-DVD or Blu-ray Player) Seemed clear how component and VGA work with a console, but unless I missed it, how about HDMI?

This thread has made me wait on getting a BenQ, and after reading through most of it, i'm beginning to lean towards the LG. :eek:

Just got this monitor today, and I have to say so far... it's beautiful. Coming from a Dell 2005fpw, the monitor is much more vibrant, crisper, and all-around a huge improvement. I noticed some ghosting lag when I first transitioned from a high quality CRT to LCD (2005fpw), but the LG seems to be much faster in comparison.

All around very happy with the purchase... Almost wish I bought 2!

I'm getting a new problem with using my xbox360 vga cable. It does 1080p and there is no cutoff whatsoever. But there problem is in the dashboard and in games. A weird shadow problem comes up.

For example in the xbox dashboard lets say it says "yay". On my monitor the image comes out as "yayyyy" with the last three "y's" as very faint shadows? Is anyone else getting this problem? Is it the monitors fault or the cables?

i picked one up from best buy yesterday. my 7 year old crt was really dull and starting to sound like rice crispies, its sad to put it into retirement. in terms of out of the box, i see no dead pixels, no lag, no ghosting, no nothing. its as i was still using my crt but only the colors are alot truer and more vibe. i am very picky and i dont have any issues with the montior itself. i got it at its reg price, but i am happy to find out that it is going back on sale on 9/9 so im hoping to get a 100$ adjustment. i am using the hdmi-dvi port. i cant not access the ez-video part. ive read a few posts of other users who have the same issue and they are all using the hdmi port so maybe thats why.

ive tested 1:1 in q4 and its bascily not useable. it flickers like shit. the montior is really bright compaired to my crt. so bad it gives me headaces. im still messing with the settings and i cant seem to find a happy medium. once i get this worked out i believe i will be very happy with it. well, i am so far but its just a funny kink i have that i havnt been able to find the settings i like yet. it does get alot hotter then my 21in crt.

oh, forgot to say the imput lag is really bad. when ever swithing res to enter a game(pc), its really boring to wait while the montior gets signal.

Run it in sRGB mode and then turn the brightness down to 15 or run it slightly higher if you need it more brighter. sRGB does make the picture a bit more reddish. You'll need to use the color controls in your video card CP to adjust. I find that adding a bit more contrast via the CP, along with a lower brightness setting on the monitor (15-20), seems to keep eye fatigue down while still maintaining a good picture. Reducing the Blue color channel will also help because this monitor is running a bit cool out of the box.

just got it up and running, absolutely beautiful. At first I was concerned that it was too big but I thought that it was just about perfect. Absolutely love it for what I use it for. (Haven't gamed on it yet.)

oh, forgot to say the imput lag is really bad. when ever swithing res to enter a game(pc), its really boring to wait while the montior gets signal.

That's not really input lag, that's just it being slow at switching input modes.

I have noticed that, but I haven't really noticed input lag in everyday use. I noticed some when I had a CRT next to it (put a window across both, move window), but it wasn't too bad. I haven't done any scientific testing of how much lag there actually is, however.

Xbox 360 over component (1080i) looks pretty good on it too.

I just picked up my LG at Best Buy, and I'm finding it to suite my needs well. I have my PS3 and PC connected via HDMI (switch from monoprice otw), and I tested my PS2 via component.

No dead pixels.
Out of box settings decent, but not great. Getting calibration tools..
PC over HDMI = perfect
PS3 over HDMI = slight overscan, but tolerable. quality of picture is good
PS2 over component = slight underscan, but tolerable. quality of picture is good.

Build date Jan 2007.

i got this 10 days ago. my first one had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen so i took it back and the new one has a dead pixel in the upper left corner... there is only one more bestbuy that is close to me to get a new one and the first two bestbuys i went to only had one monitor a piece. i dont know if i want to return it and get a worse monitor than what i have now. would they let me look at it before i exchange lol? what would you guys do. i have 4 days left.

when i bought the 22 in samsung tn screen, i wanted to make sure i got the S model instead of A or C (I've since moved up the 24 LG). the saleperson at bestbuy opened every box they had before we found an S model, so I'm sure they'll let you take a look at the new screen before you trade your old in.

Return it, mous.

I picked one up right after the sale ended [:(] and it has a stuck green pixel in the middle. I can't get it unstuck so I'm returning it. NO local (within 30 miles) BestBuys have it any more. However, apparently (according to someone a few posts up) the LCD will go on sale again from Sunday so I plan on returning this sucker and have a new LCD shipped to a local store from bestbuy.com for free shipping.

Also -- how can I get this sucker to run in 1:1 mode on HDMI PC mode??

Back